For fans outside of NY, What’s with the hype about MSG.

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    New Jersey pizza is where it’s at
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • JR86440JR86440 Posts: 742
    SB129840 said:
    OK fine I'll answer. Every single show they've played there has been legendary. It has nothing to do with the state of the building or how new it is or how much of a dump it might be. There's a reason everyone and their damn friends wants tix to see them at MSG. The band gives everything on that stage and the audience gives everything back. 

I respectfully disagree with the statement that every show here has been legendary. The 2008 shows weren’t legendary. Nobody talks about those shows. The 2003 shows were great, but from what I’ve seen,  most people talk about the Boston shows from 2003 or the Penn state
    show. I’m not here to start an argument, I’m just curious  to hear what out of towners  think. I’ve seen bands in both New York and Philly snd
    i wouldn’t say, “wow this show was so much better in NY than Philly.

Agreed. PJ plays mostly every show like it’s their last. People from NY are just so full of themselves because that’s who they are. I saw them in Greenville. What’s so special about that place? Nothing, but that show was instant classic. 
  • PJ brings it every night.  Perhaps the fans are
    more excited to be in MSG feeding into this narrative.  I have seen them in several cities and notice nothing different.  But I feel most things in NY are overrated.  Just the nature of the city I guess.  
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • ceskaceska Posts: 1,115
    I can of course see why people outside of NY will want to go to NYC. But big shows don't always happen in the biggest cities (and conversely not every small town gets a surprise setlist). As someone who lives just north of NYC, I would rather attend a show in Philly or Albany. I've generally found the fan vibe at Philly to be better than MSG. There is usually an immense letdown on the forum when an MSG show isn't universally acclaimed. It just can't be expected that every NYC/MSG show will be epic. There's never that feeling going into a  Philly show, and people there just seem to be happy to get PJ of any kind.

MSG may be one of the oldest pro arenas left, but I still don't consider it "historic" in the sense of Fenway/Wrigley/Boston Garden/Chicago Stadium. Those were truly buildings from another time. Though I miss the old seating layout and interior ring walkways, the MSG renovations did result in an improved sound experience, which is of course good for concert.

• spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,756
    JR86440 said:
    SB129840 said:
    OK fine I'll answer. Every single show they've played there has been legendary. It has nothing to do with the state of the building or how new it is or how much of a dump it might be. There's a reason everyone and their damn friends wants tix to see them at MSG. The band gives everything on that stage and the audience gives everything back. 

I respectfully disagree with the statement that every show here has been legendary. The 2008 shows weren’t legendary. Nobody talks about those shows. The 2003 shows were great, but from what I’ve seen,  most people talk about the Boston shows from 2003 or the Penn state
    show. I’m not here to start an argument, I’m just curious  to hear what out of towners  think. I’ve seen bands in both New York and Philly snd

Agreed. PJ plays mostly every show like it’s their last. People from NY are just so full of themselves because that’s who they are. I saw them in Greenville. What’s so special about that place? Nothing, but that show was instant classic. 
    Some people from NY are just so full of themselves just like some people from everywhere.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,322
    JR86440 said:
    SB129840 said:

Where are you from? Is it a place where everyone is an ass and hates on an entire state of people? Lol. Gtfoh
  • MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,055
    Why does everyone keep saying it’s NY people who hype it up? I feel like it’s people who want to go there from out of state. As a NYC resident I’d be very happy to stop the MSG hype train. I only prefer it over Barclays because the sound is 100x better. 
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • JR86440JR86440 Posts: 742
    nicknyr15 said:
    JR86440 said:
    SB129840 said:

Where are you from? Is it a place where everyone is an ass and hates on an entire state of people? Lol. Gtfoh
    Ha. From CT. Went to school in NY. Just look at Yankee fans. Pure trash. 
  • mrz200mrz200 Posts: 80
    couple thoughts

MSG is one of the oldest arenas that still is the primary venue for events of its size.  Boston, Philly, DC, Brooklyn...all newer than MSG.  There's not a ton of venues that have housed what MSG has... along with some of the small rock clubs, it's probably the only venue that's had the Beatles, Zepplin, Greatful Dead, Pearl Jam, Who, and other icons.  And it's still going.  I think band's feel "pressure" to deliver in a venue that so many legends have played prior to them.

It's NYC, and there's just a better chance for celebrity audience members, sit-ins, record executives and others.  I think the band themselves feel an extra reason to step up due to whoever is the room on a given night and MSG/NYC shows - regardless of the band - tends to have a higher total of a band's friends around.
  • When you can play the Garden, you have arrived. My favorite place to see shows. PJ 98 was their arrival. Garden shows get reviewed as well and bands usually bring it
    I disagree ‘98 was their arrival. I was a senior in HS in ‘91 and they were already buzzing on the east coast. However, come ‘94 they were really breaking into the mainstream, as were so many other Seattle bands. I saw PJ for the first time April 6, 94 in Springfield, MA. Very aggressive show. Eddie was not jumping all around the stage. He was still and intense. IDK, it’s hard to replicate that moment in time for me. It felt like there was a Gen X revolution taking place in the moment.
  • hihobibohihobibo Posts: 1,086
    spankyMP said:
    100 Pacer said:
    PJNB said:

Since we are talking about NY besides these obvious choices on top of MSG what else do I need to see? I love pizza too! 
    Chelsea market.

First off, if you see gum on the street, leave it there. It's not free candy. Second, there are, like, thirty Ray's Pizzas. They all claim to be the original. But the real one's on 11th. And if you see a sign that says "Peep Show", that doesn't mean that they're letting you look at presents before Christmas.

This post rules! 
  • spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,756
    JR86440 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    JR86440 said:
    SB129840 said:

Ha. From CT. Went to school in NY. Just look at Yankee fans. Pure trash. 
    Again, you are painting with an extremely broad brush.  I grew up in NY and am a Yankee fan.  I despise the “stereotypical” New Yorkers and Yankee fans you are describing too, but the majority of New Yorkers and Yankee fans that I know are great people.  Just like the majority of people I’ve met in 7 years in NC are great people. There are plenty of the similar terrible people in NC and everywhere, maybe there are just too many NYers like that because there are so many of us in total. Maybe you’ve just met enough to make up your mind.  Sucks that you didn’t meet a single NYer you like when you went to school there.  I’ve changed the minds of many southerners as to what a New Yorker is.  You view every NYer as one thing and that’s on you.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,812
    Why is MSG so hyped?  Because it is in New York, the greatest city in the world. MSG has been the site of some epic moments in US history.  Put the two together and there you go.  I agree that my favorite show each tour is usually not MSG. That said, I love coming out of the garden after a show and having all of manhattan available for an after party. Places are still open haha!
  • Get_Right said:
    Because it is in New York, the greatest city in the world.
    Oh, so you've been to all the other cities? What's Pyongyang like?
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,812
    edited February 2020
    Get_Right said:
    Because it is in New York, the greatest city in the world.
    Oh, so you've been to all the other cities? What's Pyongyang like?
    Haha, no reason to visit there. Never been to Australia, but I have been around.
  • willnycwillnyc Posts: 131
    edited February 2020
    JR86440 said:
    SB129840 said:

I'm from NY, don't like baseball, think MSG is a great place to see a concert (sound is great, not many bad seats, palpable energy), and hate myself - how does that sound?

Something perhaps about NYC's fast pace and general excitement from tourists and people who look forward to a concert. 

Shame you haven't met any nice New Yorkers in your entire life.  That's quite an accomplishment.  Maybe it's you. 
    Post edited by willnyc on
  • PeterEDPeterED Posts: 365

I remember seeing this the last time I was at the Garden (to see U2).

It’s a cool place and was a bucket-list venue (for me) due to its history and that it’s in NYC.
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • The hype for msg is high and rarely met.  I love nyc and grew up upstate with folks from the city so I went all the time as a kid.  I’m guessing that if the band didn’t feel pressure to play there, they wouldn’t- any band would much rather hit the interesting places of the world, not the expected, but unfortunately the population density calls for it and makes it a must. It’s unfortunately a record label/$ thing to have to hit ny or London when in the us or Europe, and I feel this tends to go against the wishes of the human beings that Ed and the band are.  NYC is in its last hayday this century I think, as folks are leaving the city and state in droves- we’ll see where the next big place to play is in the next century.... or our kids will anyway.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,779
    Inferiority complex’s are funny.... NYC isn’t for everyone

just like butthole, Mississippi or some other place getting welfare from all us assholes here

• After "live at the garden" everyone wants to see a show there.  
  • The hype for msg is high and rarely met.  I love nyc and grew up upstate with folks from the city so I went all the time as a kid.  I’m guessing that if the band didn’t feel pressure to play there, they wouldn’t- any band would much rather hit the interesting places of the world, not the expected, but unfortunately the population density calls for it and makes it a must. It’s unfortunately a record label/$ thing to have to hit ny or London when in the us or Europe, and I feel this tends to go against the wishes of the human beings that Ed and the band are.  NYC is in its last hayday this century I think, as folks are leaving the city and state in droves- we’ll see where the next big place to play is in the next century.... or our kids will anyway.
    You think EV, Trey, and every musician who says how much they love playing MSG is doing it for the record label?
    Pearl Jam can play wherever they want.  If they wanted to play Radio City Music Hall, and really have a tough ticket, they would have done that.

Bands love playing MSG.  I bet you there is zero "pressure" to play there.  How does playing NYC or London "go against the wishes of the human beings that Ed and the band are?"

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think that makes no sense.
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

• Speaking as someone from overseas (Australia) MSG is probably the best known US venue. 
  • ceskaceska Posts: 1,115
    CROJAM95 said:
    Inferiority complex’s are funny.... NYC isn’t for everyone

just like butthole, Mississippi or some other place getting welfare from all us assholes here

Not sure what Mississippi getting "Welfare from all us assholes here" has to do with anything...considering MSG is getting plenty of its own welfare... ~ 40 million per year in fact. Corporate welfare in the USA is OK I suppose, but not for poor/rural people.

"Since 1982, Madison Square Garden has gotten a full property-tax exemption that saved the arena owners $54 million in 2015 alone. 

The state Legislature granted the break after the New York Rangers and New York Knicks threatened to move out of the arena.

The Legislature has considered over the years whether to cut the tax break or limit it, but it has never gained any traction. "

Our local sports writer used to calll MSG "The World's Most Ovverrated Arena."

• KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,071
    Never been to MSG, and I have no horse in this race, but I know other bands than just pj have this hype around MSG. Look at Phish, they can sell out a 4 night run instantly at the venue.  Personally, I’d rather see PJ at the Gorge than an arena. 
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,408
    JimmyV said:
    I personally am shocked to learn something is overhyped in NYC.
    :)
  • MR242791MR242791 Brooklyn NY Posts: 669
    NYC is overrated
    38 concerts and counting
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine"
  • Dalai Lama did a service at MSG.  
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    MR242791 said:
    NYC is overrated
    How so?  What about nyc disappointed you?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • LCLC Posts: 278
    I’ve been to 25 shows with only 1 at MSG...the one being Night 2 in 2016. Like many fans, I’ve basically worn out my Live at the Garden DVD and it was the love of that show and the mystique of the arena that ramped up my excitement in 2016.  I was lucky enough to get GA for that show and thought the hype for MSG was more than valid. Admittedly, the GA location was unreal and it’s still as close as I’ve ever been to the stage...also slapped 5 with Eddie as he ran around the GA section.  If Night 2 in 2016 is known as one of their more underwhelming MSG shows, sign me up for them all moving forward.  I’ll be in section 120 on March 30th...fired up.

8-29-00 Mansfield, 6-29-03 Montreal, 7-2-03 Mansfield, 7-3-03 Mansfield, 7-11-03, Mansfield, 9-28-04 Boston, 9-29-04 Boston, 10-8-04 Kissimmee, 9-15-05 Montreal, 9-16-05 Ottawa, 5-12-06 Albany, 5-13-06 Hartford, 5-24-06 Boston, 5-25-06 Boston, 6-28-08, Mansfield, 6-30-08 Mansfield, 5-15-10 Hartford, 5-17-10 Boston, 7-19-13 Chicago, 10-15-13 Worcester, 5-2-16 New York City, 8-5-16 Boston, 8-7-16 Boston
    EV- 2008, 2011 Boston
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,269
    KN219077 said:
    Never been to MSG, and I have no horse in this race, but I know other bands than just pj have this hype around MSG. Look at Phish, they can sell out a 4 night run instantly at the venue.  Personally, I’d rather see PJ at the Gorge than an arena. 
    Let’s be honest, Phish selling out 4 nights just shows how many people enjoy “recreational” drug use.