How Brokers Scalp 10c Tickets

13»

Comments

• TEEJAM11TEEJAM11 Posts: 335
    on2legs said:
    Zod said:
    jonsey30 said:
    Couldn’t they do this?  Fan to fan sale starts in Feb, and must be face value.  But couldn’t someone list them on a secondary market and make a deal to process the face value sale through TM, and take a side payment for more?
    I think this depends on whether or not you can buy/sell to a specific person.  If all you can do it post your tickets for sale, and then someone can scoop them.  Then the loophole in our statement won't work so well, as a 3rd party could scoop them when posted.  It only works if they add a feature to trade/buy/sell with a specific user.  Hopefully it's the former and not the latter, otherwise you could very much ask for extras on the side.
    It’s a blind sale.  You will gave no idea who you’re buying from or selling to. 
    Personally I would not take this risk, it sounds like someone will take your cash and sell that burner account many more times leaving lots of fans with no show and money! scary stuff.
  • Only 10c members should be allowed to by tickets.  4 ticket limit.  Put them on sale for 72 hours.  If venue sells out, done. If there are leftovers after 10c, do a public onsale. This way every 10c member can get tickets.  
  • Only 10c members should be allowed to by tickets.  4 ticket limit.  Put them on sale for 72 hours.  If venue sells out, done. If there are leftovers after 10c, do a public onsale. This way every 10c member can get tickets.  
    Except for the fact that the general public should have an opportunity to purchase tickets
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can forgive yourself oh yeah...
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense...

1995:  7/11 (Chicago) 2009: 8/23, 8/24 (Chicago) 2010:  5/9 (Cleveland) 2013 7/19 (Chicago) 2016: 4/9 (Miami), 5/1 (NYC), 8/20 & 8/22 (Chicago)
    2018: 8/18 (Chicago) & 8/20 (Chicago) 2022:  9/11 (NYC), 9/18 (STL) 2023:  9/5 (Chicago), 9/7 (Chicago) 2024:  8/29 (Chicago), 8/31 (Chicago)

• Kane6676 said:
    Sarava said:
    I guess I dont get how people buying these tickets from brokers would get in the arenas? Are they not going to id the people coming in? They made it clear that the ticket purchaser must be present and using one of the 2 tickets. That can't be accomplished without id-ing all of us coming in.
    Sarava said:
    I guess I dont get how people buying these tickets from brokers would get in the arenas? Are they not going to id the people coming in? They made it clear that the ticket purchaser must be present and using one of the 2 tickets. That can't be accomplished without id-ing all of us coming in.
    All they said was that the tickets can’t be transferred. So the brokers made dummy TM accounts, bought up tickets. Then simply sell the login and passwords at huge markup. You basically buy their Ticketmaster account. They did not stop scalpers, they made it worse 
    I wouldn't say it is worse.  It has certainly made it harder for scalpers so that's good.  

Harder? Does  that even matter?

At $15k a pair all they have to do is sell one  vs 10 or 20 in the old days.

Maybe it's time for everyone in the community to come to the realization of what they did here.

Nah never. It's all TMs fault.
    I would rather see one financially unfettered and fiscally irresponsible person pony up $15000 for a pair than 500 PJ fans paying $1000 for a pair.  I personally view it that the tickets got into the hands of the fans and are unavailable to the scalpers.  If the action taken by the 10c and PJ took knocked the available secondary market tickets down by 90% (500 scalped tickets down to 50), that would mean that the tickets are in the hands of 450 more fans who paid face value on them.  That is a win no matter how irritated one may be that they didn't get tickets through the lottery process.
  • BE9456BE9456 Posts: 148
    Kane6676 said:
    Here's how brokers are taking advantage of the 10c and the new system:

1. Buy a bunch of new 10c memberships and establish a bunch of TM "burner" accounts.

2. Enter the lottery to win transferable tickets (MSG) or high demand tickets (Baltimore).

3. For MSG/Denver, simply sell on the secondary like normal. For Baltimore, sell access to your account.

It's as simple as that. Brokers know locations well ahead of time now, so listing specific locations to sell is easy. Seniority means nothing to them for shows like Baltimore as any seat is worth at least $500 each given limited inventory. Even if you only win on a few entries, it's well worth the investment (e.g. https://www.ticketliquidator.com/tickets/4358923/pearl-jam-tickets-sat-mar-28-2020-royal-farms-aren).

Trust me guys, the old process of WCO, and not revealing seat location, was a more effective deterrent to brokers.

On the flip side, regarding the public sale, TM selling non transferable tickets with rotating barcodes certainly is more effective at reducing tickets on the secondary. Some brokers just aren't willing to risk their accounts, and creating new ones just for this purpose is not very effective.

Downside to this though? Astronomical secondary prices due to severely limited inventory.
    I have seen Pj 4 times since 2000. With their new ticket system I doubt I ever see them again. Oh well 
    Really? I got TC tickets to all 5 Cali shows. maybe you just need to pick different shows.
  • ejk1280ejk1280 Posts: 84
    Everyone in my family will become 10c members.  
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,533
    .huntersthompson said:
    Kane6676 said:
    Sarava said:
    Sarava said:
    All they said was that the tickets can’t be transferred. So the brokers made dummy TM accounts, bought up tickets. Then simply sell the login and passwords at huge markup. You basically buy their Ticketmaster account. They did not stop scalpers, they made it worse 
    I wouldn't say it is worse.  It has certainly made it harder for scalpers so that's good.  

Maybe it's time for everyone in the community to come to the realization of what they did here.

I would rather see one financially unfettered and fiscally irresponsible person pony up $15000 for a pair than 500 PJ fans paying $1000 for a pair.  I personally view it that the tickets got into the hands of the fans and are unavailable to the scalpers.  If the action taken by the 10c and PJ took knocked the available secondary market tickets down by 90% (500 scalped tickets down to 50), that would mean that the tickets are in the hands of 450 more fans who paid face value on them.  That is a win no matter how irritated one may be that they didn't get tickets through the lottery process.

The brokers will make just as much with fewer tickets. Supply and demand.

and there will be fans that will be significantly punished with the non transferable tickets. A friend will be stuck in traffic, stuck at work, stuck in a long security line, fans will get screwed with this onerous restriction on the tickets they are buying.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    edited January 2020
    Did anyone get an email yet where their seats are!!!???
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    I don't know, but I read in another thread that someone can buy a cheap smart phone for about $25.00. All a scalper has to do is buy a bunch of those cheap phones to go with the ticket accounts they're selling. Doesn't seem like it's going to be any harder to scalp any of the tickets to any of the shows, even the ones outside of Denver/MSG, if this remains the process moving forward. That cost of that $25.00 smart phone will be passed onto the consumer, who won't care if they're already willing to pay $1000 to get into a show. I don't know much about the scalping business at all, but I do know that criminals will find a way to run their scam. The really good ones will have this system cracked by Baltimore.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,213
    Screw TM! If I didn’t get lucky through this lottery I’d never go and buy from secondary market never I’d rather stay home . I took a shot got lucky but I’m pissed that after all these yrs we are now back to dealing directly with TM .
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • goblues82goblues82 Posts: 260
    .huntersthompson said:
    Kane6676 said:
    Sarava said:
    Sarava said:

and there will be fans that will be significantly punished with the non transferable tickets. A friend will be stuck in traffic, stuck at work, stuck in a long security line, fans will get screwed with this onerous restriction on the tickets they are buying.
    The bottom line is... the ticket brokers are going to make their money.... the only thing the new system does is knock the little guys who look to make an easy flip for a few bucks out because they are nervous about the system. The big guys have burner accounts, credit card gift cards, etc. their going to get their seats and making it so hard for people who just want to sell at face price if something comes up just makes more tickets available to brokers. 
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,946
    .huntersthompson said:
    Kane6676 said:
    Sarava said:
    Sarava said:

Which happened with will call tickets, also. Two friends going to a show, one shows up, the other is running late. Some venues may let you leave that second ticket at Will Call under the friend's name, but that assumes the one who was on time is the one who bought the tickets. No system is perfect.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
    Only 10c members should be allowed to by tickets.  4 ticket limit.  Put them on sale for 72 hours.  If venue sells out, done. If there are leftovers after 10c, do a public onsale. This way every 10c member can get tickets.  
    Which would change... Nothing? Pretty sure that would change nothing. There are already people out there with multiple 10C accounts just to buy and resell tickets. They'll buy those tickets, put them up on the secondary sites at the same markup. Resellers who are good at getting tickets through public sales (or however they get them) would scoop up what's left, and put them on secondary sites.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,533
    goblues82 said:
    .huntersthompson said:
    Kane6676 said:
    Sarava said:
    Sarava said:

The bottom line is... the ticket brokers are going to make their money.... the only thing the new system does is knock the little guys who look to make an easy flip for a few bucks out because they are nervous about the system. The big guys have burner accounts, credit card gift cards, etc. their going to get their seats and making it so hard for people who just want to sell at face price if something comes up just makes more tickets available to brokers. 

Tickets will always squeeze out to the market. Checking IDs at will call is probably the best way to limit scalping. Mobile entry only/ nontransferable is a relatively new requirement and the brokers figured out how to defeat that at no additional cost. Burner accounts cost the same as legitimate ones.

Limiting but not eliminating secondary market supply accomplishes one thing:

It prices out the majority of fans who in the old days were willing to drop and could afford $275 to get into a sold out show.

Not any more.
    goblues82 said:
    .huntersthompson said:
    Kane6676 said:
    Sarava said:
    Sarava said:

Tickets will always squeeze out to the market. Checking IDs at will call is probably the best way to limit scalping. Mobile entry only/ nontransferable is a relatively new requirement and the brokers figured out how to defeat that at no additional cost. Burner accounts cost the same as legitimate ones.

Limiting but not eliminating secondary market supply accomplishes one thing:

It prices out the majority of fans who in the old days were willing to drop and could afford $275 to get into a sold out show.

Not any more.
    Any system that actually limits scalping - but doesn't eliminate it entirely, is going to drive up the cost of scalped tickets. So, it's either screw over the fans by letting the scalpers buy whatever they want (meaning it will be even harder to get tickets up front, but you can pay closer to face value later), or get more tickets into the hands of actual fans and make it harder for scalpers to get tickets.

• PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    If the ticketing system works correctly one of two things will happen at MSG -

1. Scalpers will be desperately trying to unload tickets on the day of the show much closer to face value.
    2. People who probably are not really big fans but just like to go to big events will pay insane amounts of money for tickets only to be disappointed that no rock show or any show for that matter could possibly equate to the expense of several thousand dollars.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652