How Brokers Scalp 10c Tickets

Comments

• SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019
    I guess I dont get how people buying these tickets from brokers would get in the arenas? Are they not going to id the people coming in? They made it clear that the ticket purchaser must be present and using one of the 2 tickets. That can't be accomplished without id-ing all of us coming in.
  • Sarava said:
    I guess I dont get how people buying these tickets from brokers would get in the arenas? Are they not going to id the people coming in? They made it clear that the ticket purchaser must be present and using one of the 2 tickets. That can't be accomplished without id-ing all of us coming in.
    Sarava said:
    All they said was that the tickets can’t be transferred. So the brokers made dummy TM accounts, bought up tickets. Then simply sell the login and passwords at huge markup. You basically buy their Ticketmaster account. They did not stop scalpers, they made it worse 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,533
    Tickets will always find a way to enter the market. 

The best defense against scalping will do 2 things:

1. Limit the supply of resale tickets 

2. Drastically increase prices that do reach the market.

PJ has always been very effective at both.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,526
    Kane6676 said:
    Zod said:
    I think for the most part this system is working pretty good (except the two places where it was illegal to do it).   While I realize since anyone can get GA, that some scalpers might try to infiltrate GA, the hoops the buyer has to go through to access the tickets is most likely a deterrent. 

It's crazy watching people complain about how this tour went down, when I can't think of any band (not even remotely close) that put this kind of effort in to keep the tickets out of broker/scalper hands and into the hands of fans.    I've never seen anything like this.   It's unprecedented.

Then I still find myself reading comments like "I have seen Pj 4 times since 2000. With their new ticket system I doubt I ever see them again. Oh well ".  I think people are underestimating what PJ pulled off.

New York it's its own beast.  It's one of the most populated places in the USA, and it's a single show an an Arena.   You've got demand working against it (probably the most in demand show), plus they couldn't implement their antiscalping strategy there, which mean you had brokers/scalpers making it worse.

I'm pretty impressed with what PJ did.  If you're going to charge $100/ticket, and we know scalpers can easily ask 2 to 3x that.  You need to lock that shit down.   If you don't, it's a big arbitrage opportunity.   It all comes down to bands asking less for tickets then what they are worth.  IF they didn't do that, there would be no value for scalpers to flip them.

Funny thing is that in the two states that didn’t allow Pearl Jam to run this ticket scam ( which it is) you can still get tickets on a trusted site. Everywhere else you now have to purchase someone’s TM account to get the tickets. PJ left thousand of fans to possibly be scammed. Terrible system. I don’t care what you say. I realize that those who got tickets don’t care and will applaud this non sense 

Except, how common is the selling TM burned accounts really going to be?  That's a stretch.  What's even more impressive is how few tickets for the shows in the states that allowed scalping.    I stand by notion that what PJ did was impressive.  I can't think of any other artists that put in that kind of effort to get tickets into the hands of fans the first time, and not to scalpers.

I applaud the effort.   Slow clap to full applause.
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    It is amazing to me that anyone would fucking consider buying "access" to a TM account and think that was going to work out.

Everyone with the "see how easy it is" look at these burner accounts being sold on EBay.   

You would have to be a total dimwit to pay a dime let alone $1,000+ dollars on a EBay for a login to someone else TM account and not think it was a certainty you would get scammed. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,946
    Do people not think scalpers had multiple 10C accounts in the past? If you already have multiple 10C accounts, it's simple to create multiple TM accounts linked to them.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
    Kane6676 said:
    Zod said:
    I think for the most part this system is working pretty good (except the two places where it was illegal to do it).   While I realize since anyone can get GA, that some scalpers might try to infiltrate GA, the hoops the buyer has to go through to access the tickets is most likely a deterrent. 

It's crazy watching people complain about how this tour went down, when I can't think of any band (not even remotely close) that put this kind of effort in to keep the tickets out of broker/scalper hands and into the hands of fans.    I've never seen anything like this.   It's unprecedented.

Then I still find myself reading comments like "I have seen Pj 4 times since 2000. With their new ticket system I doubt I ever see them again. Oh well ".  I think people are underestimating what PJ pulled off.

New York it's its own beast.  It's one of the most populated places in the USA, and it's a single show an an Arena.   You've got demand working against it (probably the most in demand show), plus they couldn't implement their antiscalping strategy there, which mean you had brokers/scalpers making it worse.

I'm pretty impressed with what PJ did.  If you're going to charge $100/ticket, and we know scalpers can easily ask 2 to 3x that.  You need to lock that shit down.   If you don't, it's a big arbitrage opportunity.   It all comes down to bands asking less for tickets then what they are worth.  IF they didn't do that, there would be no value for scalpers to flip them.

Funny thing is that in the two states that didn’t allow Pearl Jam to run this ticket scam ( which it is) you can still get tickets on a trusted site. Everywhere else you now have to purchase someone’s TM account to get the tickets. PJ left thousand of fans to possibly be scammed. Terrible system. I don’t care what you say. I realize that those who got tickets don’t care and will applaud this non sense 

So, you would rather Pearl Jam (and TicketMaster) let bots/agencies buy up 50% of the tickets and sell them to fans at a premium? That seems like a better system to you? A handful of tickets are being "scalped" instead of entire sections, and this is a "scam"?
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

• SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019
    Kane6676 said:
    Sarava said:
    Sarava said:
    All they said was that the tickets can’t be transferred. So the brokers made dummy TM accounts, bought up tickets. Then simply sell the login and passwords at huge markup. You basically buy their Ticketmaster account. They did not stop scalpers, they made it worse 
    Yeah,  they can't be transferred. But say the dummy TM account and 10c account had a name of Jane Doe. And a guy name Joe Schmo bought them for $500 off stubhub....he then shows up and doesn't have an ID matching. How is he then going to get in the arena? Wouldn't they say, sorry only Jane Doe can redeem these tickets? I mean, if they don't ID people coming in, this whole exercise to make them non transferable was pointless.
  • Once we actually get our tickets this week we’ll see if there are any measures or rules in place that stop the burner phone tactic from working.
    Zod said:
    Kane6676 said:
    Zod said:

Except, how common is the selling TM burned accounts really going to be?  That's a stretch.  What's even more impressive is how few tickets for the shows in the states that allowed scalping.    I stand by notion that what PJ did was impressive.  I can't think of any other artists that put in that kind of effort to get tickets into the hands of fans the first time, and not to scalpers.

I applaud the effort.   Slow clap to full applause.

Definitely 1st place medal

🥇 

• foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    with so called burner accounts what idiot would buy one unless you had a relationship with the broker.  who is to say they don't sell them multiple times to  unsuspecting desperate fans. i think for the most part pj did a good job here. ten club should investigate some of these suspect accounts and maybe cancel their orders. the last minute joiners. also there should be a longer period before shows go on sale where you are eligible to buy tickets. not just a few days . if it only costs 20 dollars for a membership at the end of the day how much does 10 c really keep from this. so why not have a system from this point on that those recent members are clearly told that their odds of winning will not be as good as those that joined as of jan 1 2020. odds that would happen are not good but it is a 2 edged sword as it would discourage new flippers but discourage true new members potentially.  its what poison to pick.  but in general pj has done a better job of keeping tickets out of the secondary market . its their first attempt and from this maybe there will be some fine tuning. you can't always see hindsight . so lets see what happens and give them a chance to breathe.  lets celebrate the tour and have fun.  
    foodboy said:
    with so called burner accounts what idiot would buy one unless you had a relationship with the broker.  who is to say they don't sell them multiple times to  unsuspecting desperate fans. i think for the most part pj did a good job here. ten club should investigate some of these suspect accounts and maybe cancel their orders. the last minute joiners. also there should be a longer period before shows go on sale where you are eligible to buy tickets. not just a few days . if it only costs 20 dollars for a membership at the end of the day how much does 10 c really keep from this. so why not have a system from this point on that those recent members are clearly told that their odds of winning will not be as good as those that joined as of jan 1 2020. odds that would happen are not good but it is a 2 edged sword as it would discourage new flippers but discourage true new members potentially.  its what poison to pick.  but in general pj has done a better job of keeping tickets out of the secondary market . its their first attempt and from this maybe there will be some fine tuning. you can't always see hindsight . so lets see what happens and give them a chance to breathe.  lets celebrate the tour and have fun.  

It's a burner account. There's nothing to investigate unless the band wants to front $20,000 to buy a pair or convince agencies to shut down listings. The TM acct and membership, emails and contact detail all get burned after the show.

As far as buyer goes, the tix are likely guaranteed so either they get a ticket sent to them or TM login detail that only has tix and nothing else. If the tix are not in the acct and the website has a guarantee they should be covered.

Messing with supply and demand has consequences.  $20,000 a pair is one.

One defence for future is have a one or two year membership seniority required to join lottery. That will cut down the flood of 15,000 new memberships during the rumor phase.
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    yes definitely more time before allowance to buy tickets .  

foodboy said:

It's a burner account. There's nothing to investigate unless the band wants to front $20,000 to buy a pair or convince agencies to shut down listings. The TM acct and membership, emails and contact detail all get burned after the show.

As far as buyer goes, the tix are likely guaranteed so either they get a ticket sent to them or TM login detail that only has tix and nothing else. If the tix are not in the acct and the website has a guarantee they should be covered.

Messing with supply and demand has consequences.  $20,000 a pair is one.

One defence for future is have a one or two year membership seniority required to join lottery. That will cut down the flood of 15,000 new memberships during the rumor phase.

Set the cutoff date to when they start planning the tour, before the leaks start coming out, instead of the day before the announcement.

• I doubt you can sell a Ticketmaster log in and password on Stub Hub.
  • bean8969bean8969 Posts: 99
    edited January 2020
    Old school scalpers could buy cheap smart phones, set up accounts on it, and include the phone in the sale. With arenas have free shitty wifi now. 
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,150
    There isnt a silver bullet.  You get it as right as possible. 

I remember when I worked at Verizon Center in DC we have a Miley Cyrus show that was CC entry only.  We had a big broker use prepaid credit cards to buy tickets and then the night of the show he was set up across the street at a Cafe giving his buyers these prepaid credit cards to get into the venue.  You'd then swipe them at entry and get into the building.  I think the brokers that are gutsy enough to sell accounts are going to be a small percentage of buyers.  PJ isnt a small band and not everyone is in 10c or on these boards.  These shows sell fast because fans are interested in going. 
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 || Chicago, IL August 29, 2024 
  • moses-imoses-i Posts: 138
    if jah is the ship, we smile at the storm.
  • SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,462

Its amazing that there are NO Pearl Jam Tickets available in any cities on Stubhub (Except New York and Denver).

Loving it.

I doubt you can sell a Ticketmaster log in and password on Stub Hub.

I agree. I think SH is mobile tix only. These are probably ticket brokers.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,532
    Kane6676 said:
    Sarava said:
    Sarava said:
    I wouldn't say it is worse.  It has certainly made it harder for scalpers so that's good.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • let's all keep in mind some of these so called 'ticket brokers' are legit 10C members who finance their touring by selling 'spare' tickets
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,526
    Kane6676 said:
    Sarava said:
    Sarava said:
    I wouldn't say it is worse.  It has certainly made it harder for scalpers so that's good.  
    That's how I feel.  Sure scalpers can try the burner phone method.  It seems to a be a thing.  My takeaway is that it's much less of a thing, than if tickets were transferable, or they allowed the purchase of hard copies.   The lack of a big secondary market shows (that for the most part) PJ's plan is working.
  • Spoken said:

Its amazing that there are NO Pearl Jam Tickets available in any cities on Stubhub (Except New York and Denver).

Loving it.

They are available on less trusted sites  so ya that’s great. What’s the difference ? 
    edited January 2020
    Kane6676 said:
    Sarava said:
    Sarava said:

Harder? Does  that even matter?

At $15k a pair all they have to do is sell one  vs 10 or 20 in the old days.

Maybe it's time for everyone in the community to come to the realization of what they did here.

Nah never. It's all TMs fault.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    Zod said:
    Kane6676 said:
    Sarava said:
    Sarava said:
    That's how I feel.  Sure scalpers can try the burner phone method.  It seems to a be a thing.  My takeaway is that it's much less of a thing, than if tickets were transferable, or they allowed the purchase of hard copies.   The lack of a big secondary market shows (that for the most part) PJ's plan is working.
    Having to show up at the venue with a willcall is the best method imo. Now people do not need to even go to the city that the show is playing. I can put in for MSG every show till the end of time now and have zero interest in going with no penalty. 20$ memberships are drops in the bucket for the prices these tickets are selling for.
  • PJNB said:
    Zod said:
    Kane6676 said:
    Sarava said:
    Sarava said:
    Having to show up at the venue with a willcall is the best method imo. Now people do not need to even go to the city that the show is playing. I can put in for MSG every show till the end of time now and have zero interest in going with no penalty. 20$ memberships are drops in the bucket for the prices these tickets are selling for.
    1.  They have to start handing out tickets in this scenario days earlier to accommodate everyone.  Once paper tickets are in folks' hands, the issue of scalping said paper tickets becomes even more of an issue.

2.  Standing in a long line to simply pick up paper tickets when I can open a phone and show someone as I walk in the door?  Yes, I'll take the latter from a customer service perspective AND helping to stop ticket scalping.
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can forgive yourself oh yeah...
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense...

1995:  7/11 (Chicago) 2009: 8/23, 8/24 (Chicago) 2010:  5/9 (Cleveland) 2013 7/19 (Chicago) 2016: 4/9 (Miami), 5/1 (NYC), 8/20 & 8/22 (Chicago)
    2018: 8/18 (Chicago) & 8/20 (Chicago) 2022:  9/11 (NYC), 9/18 (STL) 2023:  9/5 (Chicago), 9/7 (Chicago) 2024:  8/29 (Chicago), 8/31 (Chicago)

• smaksmak Posts: 232
    Kane6676 said:
    Zod said:

The people who didn't get tickets can do what everybody else in the world does when they try to get tickets to a very popular live act, and get shut out.

And that is, not go.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    Thats true they could mail for a fee tickets for the NY shows in 2016 too. Forgot about that. 

I would take the inconvenience of a willcall over the fact of never having to show up for a show anymore without penalty any day of the week. 
  • PJNB said:
    Thats true they could mail for a fee tickets for the NY shows in 2016 too. Forgot about that. 

I would take the inconvenience of a willcall over the fact of never having to show up for a show anymore without penalty any day of the week. 
    Again... it goes directly against what the band is attempting to do - limit scalpers ability to resell tickets.  You'd have to have will call open days in advance and anyone attempting to resell hard tickets would simply get there on day one, and post tickets on third party resale sites.  In addition, total inconvenience to fans in needing to line up vs. just flipping a phone on & walking in the door; having to go to a venue either a day or two early to wait in a line to simply pick up tickets that you purchased... sucked.
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can forgive yourself oh yeah...
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense...

1995:  7/11 (Chicago) 2009: 8/23, 8/24 (Chicago) 2010:  5/9 (Cleveland) 2013 7/19 (Chicago) 2016: 4/9 (Miami), 5/1 (NYC), 8/20 & 8/22 (Chicago)
    2018: 8/18 (Chicago) & 8/20 (Chicago) 2022:  9/11 (NYC), 9/18 (STL) 2023:  9/5 (Chicago), 9/7 (Chicago) 2024:  8/29 (Chicago), 8/31 (Chicago)