Will DOTC be a hit?

Comments

• shantzy1 said:
    Nope......gotta say that in my opinion this song is a throw away tune.  
    Opinions are like assholes.......
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,791
    KN219077 said:
    igotid88 said:
    KN219077 said:
    You know what wasn’t a hit? Sleeping By Myself 
    It wasn't released as a single. At least not the Pearl Jam version
    I know, but the way BoB talked the band into putting it onto the slbum was like the song was pure gold
    I liked it. And if they promoted it right. It could have been
    I miss igotid88
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,791
    I think it may crack the charts/billboards, but I don't think it will be a huge hit. Like somewhere between 50-100 range
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,532
    KN219077 said:
    igotid88 said:
    KN219077 said:
    It wasn't released as a single. At least not the Pearl Jam version
    I know, but the way BoB talked the band into putting it onto the slbum was like the song was pure gold
    And BoB isn't producing them now....
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • KN219077 said:
    FACT 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Not with these lyrics.
  • TN49724TN49724 Posts: 102
    PJ could easily write another hit if they wanted.  I was kidnapped and taken to a 5 Finger/3 Days Grace show a few months ago by my gf and while not a huge fan of either, I left show thinking that I completely understood why 3 Days Grace has the most 1’s ever (or dang close, it’s double digits).  It’s a formulaic thing w a hook and catchy lyrics.  I was almost laughing during the show bc it was they had solved a riddle for taking money from ppl. 
  • AlaGAlaG Posts: 976
    edited January 2020
    Not with these lyrics.
    Are you implying that most if any hit songs at present have good lyrics? Smh. Also, these are some of the best lyrics the band has written in years.
  • Not with these lyrics.
    the chorus is easy/strong enough. but the rest is overly ”what?”-ish
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    TN49724 said:
    PJ could easily write another hit if they wanted.  I was kidnapped and taken to a 5 Finger/3 Days Grace show a few months ago by my gf and while not a huge fan of either, I left show thinking that I completely understood why 3 Days Grace has the most 1’s ever (or dang close, it’s double digits).  It’s a formulaic thing w a hook and catchy lyrics.  I was almost laughing during the show bc it was they had solved a riddle for taking money from ppl. 
    Number 1 Rock songs you mean. They're okay. But I don't get how some those bands stay on the rock charts longer than PJ. 

I do believe PJ has more Alternative chart entries. I think U2 has more or maybe PJ has more. Foo Fighters are there also

I miss igotid88
  • RW11861RW11861 Posts: 12
    KN219077 said:
    Id say Just Breathe was their last big hit. Unless this album gets grammy attention, it will probably go largely unnoticed by the general public is my guess
    grammy attention? who give a crap, didn't you hear its all fixed
  • RW11861 said:
    KN219077 said:
    Id say Just Breathe was their last big hit. Unless this album gets grammy attention, it will probably go largely unnoticed by the general public is my guess
    grammy attention? who give a crap, didn't you hear its all fixed
    so?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,353
    igotid88 said:
    It is a hit. #1 on iTunes Rock for 4 days and counting. Rising up radio. If you're asking if it will be played on Top 40. Hard to say
    It's not hard to say.  Rock music is almost entirely shut out at top 40 radio these days.  It would be shocking if any Pearl Jam song got traction at top 40 radio.  The closest things to rock songs on this week's top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100 are by Post Malone, Billie Eilish and SHAED.  Two of those acts are pop superstars (with Malone getting AC radio play for "Circles" and Eilish getting alternative play for "Bad Guy" and "Everything I Wanted") and one is a new act getting alternative airplay (SHAED's "Trampoline").  The only one of these songs that resembles a rock song is "Circles," and it is midtempo.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    There's no such thing as "a hit" anymore.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • There's no such thing as "a hit" anymore.
    What?
  • It is already a hit in fans opinion.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • It is already a hit in fans opinion.
    No lies detected.

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    It is already a hit in fans opinion.
    No lies detected.

I am so surprised something so different from them is getting such a great response. 
  • PJNB said:
    No lies detected.

I am so surprised something so different from them is getting such a great response. 
    Yep. It's fucking great. Made me positive, positive, positive 

Thought that there would be more love than not. But that the split would be 65/35 or something.
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 655
    The poll was binary.  It could have asked how much you like it 1-10.  I'm at like a 6.5-7, which was still a "yes" for the poll.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    It is a hit. #1 on iTunes Rock for 4 days and counting. Rising up radio. If you're asking if it will be played on Top 40. Hard to say
    It's not hard to say.  Rock music is almost entirely shut out at top 40 radio these days.  It would be shocking if any Pearl Jam song got traction at top 40 radio.  The closest things to rock songs on this week's top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100 are by Post Malone, Billie Eilish and SHAED.  Two of those acts are pop superstars (with Malone getting AC radio play for "Circles" and Eilish getting alternative play for "Bad Guy" and "Everything I Wanted") and one is a new act getting alternative airplay (SHAED's "Trampoline").  The only one of these songs that resembles a rock song is "Circles," and it is midtempo.
    Yea but there's always an outlier. That said it has more to do with age than the actual song. Now if they did this song with Cardi B and Post Malone. It might get played there. Sort of like when Santana got Rob Thomas to write Smooth and the other pop stars of the time.

But if they want this to go further they will have to be on every talk show. Every awards show. And so on
    I miss igotid88
  • Liam Gallagher played at the VMAs last year... I think it was the VMAs...

Pearl Jam should do the same. 
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    No lies detected.

What about the electoral college?
  • BS44325 said:
    No lies detected.

What about the electoral college?
    Count in a 3 million difference. Give or take. 
    Liam Gallagher played at the VMAs last year... I think it was the VMAs...

Pearl Jam should do the same. 
    EMAs
    I miss igotid88
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    edited January 2020
    Like all new PJ songs it will be popular for maybe three months then fade and casual fans will forget about it and go back to the Jeremys, Alives and Bettermans of the PJ catalog.  I think once the new sheen wears off, the more hardcore fans will put it in the middle of the pack as far as PJ songs go.  
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,533
    edited January 2020
    Hopefully no.

Hopefully the next single 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,213
    Its a great song I’m hoping they open Baltimore with it!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,353
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Yea but there's always an outlier. That said it has more to do with age than the actual song. Now if they did this song with Cardi B and Post Malone. It might get played there. Sort of like when Santana got Rob Thomas to write Smooth and the other pop stars of the time.

But if they want this to go further they will have to be on every talk show. Every awards show. And so on
    It would be one hell of an outlier.  There isn't a single song on this week's Hot 100 that also appears on the Hot Rock Songs chart.  But, you're right, the reason for that is a function of tastes changing, not quality (which is subjective anyway).  To the top 40 audience, EDM-flavored pop and hip-hop/trap are the genres they're attuned to.  There are 18-year-olds who've never heard a pop song featuring an actual guitar.  Also, the rock audience, which is still pretty large-- reports of its demise notwithstanding-- gets underreported on charts because it is less streaming-oriented than pop and hip-hop.  Rock still represents the largest genre for album sales, and there's no way of tracking how much someone listens to a CD or digital download like they can track every stream.  (And streaming is overweighted on charts, too, particularly as compared to radio, which still has a larger overall audience than streaming.)

And as far as the Triple-A and Alternative adds that someone mentioned, it doesn't take much to be most added because there aren't that many stations on those niches.  Pearl Jam is number one with three adds at Triple-A and two at Alternative.

I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    It’s a hit with little ol’ me. 😅
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey