Listen....it LOOKS like it worked

Comments

• Just curious.. GA is 10C only. Cant they revoke those tickets if they are being sold above face per 10C rules? I mean they can be transferred in NY and CO per law but the law shouldnt trump the face value restrictions applied by 10C regulations. I could be wrong though I'm not well versed on the laws.
    How do you trace a GA ticket without a seat# or 10C number?
    Good point. I guess it wouldn't be worth the headache but I'm sure there is a way to identify whose it was once the ticket is issued and scanned in. Anything electronic can be traced to a source. 
    You could buy a cheaper item from the seller to get name and address I guess.

This seller is actually selling the login to his/her Ticketmaster account to get around the safetix. Do we know if they’ also checking ID at the door to match the account? Cause if so, if so... this won’t work... (but I haven’t seen that anywhere so I’m guessing they’re not).
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,394
    Chr1spy said:
    Just curious.. GA is 10C only. Cant they revoke those tickets if they are being sold above face per 10C rules? I mean they can be transferred in NY and CO per law but the law shouldnt trump the face value restrictions applied by 10C regulations. I could be wrong though I'm not well versed on the laws.
    How do you trace a GA ticket without a seat# or 10C number?
    Good point. I guess it wouldn't be worth the headache but I'm sure there is a way to identify whose it was once the ticket is issued and scanned in. Anything electronic can be traced to a source. 
    You could buy a cheaper item from the seller to get name and address I guess.

This seller is actually selling the login to his/her Ticketmaster account to get around the safetix. Do we know if they’ also checking ID at the door to match the account? Cause if so, if so... this won’t work... (but I haven’t seen that anywhere so I’m guessing they’re not).
    They’re not going to check IDs at the door. The venues don’t want to spend more hours than necessary getting everyone in.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503
    Is there a TLDR for this
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    edited January 2020
    nicknyr15 said:
    The losers , as few as there may be, are worse off then ever. It’s almost a lotto or bust situation. There may be more upside , yes. But the downside is the worst ever. Without the secondary market as an option, lottery losers are beat. I will be at msg. I will bite the bullet and buy off stubhub. I will have to go alone and my wife will miss it because two tickets will be absurdly expensive. 
    Yup and I made this point in another thread.  Yea it sounds great in the Pearl Jam bubble but what if all bands go in thus direction? Do I need to join the fan club if every band I want to see? And still not guarantee a ticket if I do?  Secondary market is bad for the bands....but good for consumers overall. Limiting on smaller scale can work but you don’t want a precedent set that this will be the new norm for all artists.

and short term it’s great for ten club members but you’ve just limited this tour with a new album so no new fans can attend.  Is this wise from a business standpoint?
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,394
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,685
    And to think I had absolutely zero problems back in the late sixties to get tickets for shows by the like of Jimi Hendrix, early The Who, CSN&Y, Miles Davis, etc., or even in the early to mid 80's to see The Clash, R.E.M. U2.  And the cost was never more than a couple hours wages at minimum wage.  Good lord, times have changed! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• goblues82goblues82 Posts: 260
    Just curious.. GA is 10C only. Cant they revoke those tickets if they are being sold above face per 10C rules? I mean they can be transferred in NY and CO per law but the law shouldnt trump the face value restrictions applied by 10C regulations. I could be wrong though I'm not well versed on the laws.

Seriously? 10 club rules outweigh state laws. Wow. 
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    MF117973 said:
    My friend saw this on eBay. Apparently there are tickets to multiple shows listed there. I can only assume this lister got GA tickets from 10C since I doubt anyone got them from the public sale. Someone should set up a sting operation to catch these guys and make sure they don’t win any more 10C lotteries. 

To me, this eBay listing is the exception that proves the rule (“the rule” being that the nontransferability rules are keeping the scalpers out). If the scalpers thought they could make their money off this “send me 3 grand and I’ll send you a Ticketmaster login in March” arrangement” there would be hundreds or thousands of these postings. I have no first hand knowledge of the business but my hunch is that if you’re a scalper it’s critical to have your listings up the day of the public sale, to capture all the people who strike out on TM and just want to get tickets any way they can. 
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,951
    tdawe said:
    MF117973 said:
    My friend saw this on eBay. Apparently there are tickets to multiple shows listed there. I can only assume this lister got GA tickets from 10C since I doubt anyone got them from the public sale. Someone should set up a sting operation to catch these guys and make sure they don’t win any more 10C lotteries. 

To me, this eBay listing is the exception that proves the rule (“the rule” being that the nontransferability rules are keeping the scalpers out). If the scalpers thought they could make their money off this “send me 3 grand and I’ll send you a Ticketmaster login in March” arrangement” there would be hundreds or thousands of these postings. I have no first hand knowledge of the business but my hunch is that if you’re a scalper it’s critical to have your listings up the day of the public sale, to capture all the people who strike out on TM and just want to get tickets any way they can. 
    Agreed.  It is frustrating to see that he actually has 4 pairs of pit tickets.  He sold one pair and the quantity left listed on the auction is 3.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• PJTenFan said:
    Unfortunately this process didn't work for me and my family. The 4 ticket limit made things difficult as my wife and I wanted to bring our three kids. We had to each queue up to split the 5 tickets (3/2) for the Forum in LA so we could hopefully sit together, but it didn't work. All the tickets available on the row were gone before my wife could move up the queue. By the time I could check availability at the second Forum date or any of the Oakland/San Diego dates, there were no tickets.

We last saw PJ in Boston 2010 before we had kids, so we were really excited to see them live again considering when my daughter was a baby, "Black" was the only thing that could make her stop crying for her first 6mo of life!

I am hoping they come back around again on this tour.
    You were going for 5 seats to bring you, your wife, and your three kids....all under the age of 10?

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • https://vipseats.com/search?q=pearl+jam

Starting to pop up on more major scalper sites.  VIP Seats is a pretty well known legit site, they have tickets to every show......
    03/20/94 - Ann Arbor
    09/22/96 - Toledo
    10/16/14 - Detroit
    09/26/21 - Dana Point
    10/01/21 - Dana Point
    10/02/21 - Dana Point
    05/06/22 - Los Angeles
    05/07/22 - Los Angeles 
    07/03/22 - Stockholm
    07/05/22 - Copenhagen
    09/08/22 - Toronto 
    09/16/22 - Nashville
    09/18/22 - St. Louis
    09/20/22 - OKC
    09/05/23 - Chicago 
    09/07/23 - Chicago 
    05/16/24 - Vegas
    05/18/24 - Vegas
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,671
    https://vipseats.com/search?q=pearl+jam

Starting to pop up on more major scalper sites.  VIP Seats is a pretty well known legit site, they have tickets to every show......
    It's  the exact same software with the exact same ticket listings as the link provided above.
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170

That has to be TM selling off tickets to those sites. There was something that came out about that with a Metallica Rep not that long ago. 

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/congressman-calls-out-metallica-after-ticket-scam-is-revealed/
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,322

It's  the exact same software with the exact same ticket listings as the link provided above.
    Honestly? Good. I have no other way of getting to these gigs. So I’m glad they’re showing up on these sites. 
    Baltimore is the priciest ticket- over MSG. Nashville's somewhat reasonable. I've only looked at those 3 so far.
  • ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    nicknyr15 said:

Honestly? Good. I have no other way of getting to these gigs. So I’m glad they’re showing up on these sites. 
    Sigh. 
  • MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,055

Yea most professional scalpers/brokers will list their inventory across all platforms. 

Again, the system worked. The percentage of tickets on the secondary market is remarkably low, which is what they wanted. 

It sounds to me while reading this thread that some people are slowly realizing that scalpers are a necessary evil. For years all I read on this board were "bots and scalpers ruin it for everyone! Die!" and now all I see are "you know, this really hurts the people who didn't get tickets because now we have nowhere to go to get them..."
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 

Yea most professional scalpers/brokers will list their inventory across all platforms. 

Again, the system worked. The percentage of tickets on the secondary market is remarkably low, which is what they wanted. 

It sounds to me while reading this thread that some people are slowly realizing that scalpers are a necessary evil. For years all I read on this board were "bots and scalpers ruin it for everyone! Die!" and now all I see are "you know, this really hurts the people who didn't get tickets because now we have nowhere to go to get them..."
    Necessary? In the sense that people with the funds/motivation to buy from scalpers need them to get into shows, I suppose you're right. But let's imagine a world without scalping. How do the shows/crowds themselves differ? Some people are shut out, but others get in. Who gets in might look marginally different (better? worse?). I think the "necessary evil" bit is implicit fatalism coupled with insidious classism.  
    ecdanc said:

Necessary? In the sense that people with the funds/motivation to buy from scalpers need them to get into shows, I suppose you're right. But let's imagine a world without scalping. How do the shows/crowds themselves differ? Some people are shut out, but others get in. Who gets in might look marginally different (better? worse?). I think the "necessary evil" bit is implicit fatalism coupled with insidious classism.  
    Settle down. Scalping can be reselling for $50 above original price or $1000. Has nothing to do with classism or fatalism. Just the realization that sometimes the things we hate actually have some value to some people. 
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • BSullyBSully Posts: 1,183
    Fellow 10Cs
    while I share the anxiety, disappointment, frustration we all have gone through this last week or so regarding leg 1 of this tour: 10C request, verified fan sucking, public on sale with the goddamn blue man walking, or staying put, “2000+ in front of you”, and all the crap, I didn’t see anyone post something very interesting I noticed tonight:
    As of this post, about 10 hours after the public on sale, ONLY New York and Denver are showing tickets on StubHub.
    Specifically,  MSG only has 34 GA tickets posted, Denver only 4 tickets in GA
    While there are over 300 total tickets for MSG listed (for now) that many or most of you deserve over the fucking dirtbags that steal and resell our much sought after tickets, can’t this be looked at as an actual overall victory?
    339 total MSG tickets posted is a small number compared to the whole arena.
    Zero postings for Baltimore
    Zero postings for STL
    Zero postings for Nashville (which I personally was shut out of in 10C, verified fan, and public sale)
    Zero postings for OKC, Oakland
    Anyway, while the resell market is not limited to StubHub, my point is, doesn’t this appear, at least at a first glance, this process worked for us all?
    The majority of the tickets “look” to be in the hands of the Faithfull, and that, to me anyway, shows that this whole thing might just have worked the way it’s was intended. 
    I have to obviously note to myself that in a week, this post may backfire on me, but I fucking hate scalpers, I hate TM even more for “feeing” the shit out of reasonable concert tickets, and just overall being dicks, but I cannot help but feel like the band and this process did in fact work more for us than against us.
    Am I missing something at this time and ranted for no reason?
    Nice investigating work...

1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
    ecdanc said:

Settle down. Scalping can be reselling for $50 above original price or $1000. Has nothing to do with classism or fatalism. Just the realization that sometimes the things we hate actually have some value to some people. 
    Well, yeah, detestable things often have value to some people. But the nature of those things and the people who value them packs a lot into your sense of "necessary," doesn't it?
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Well, yeah, detestable things often have value to some people. But the nature of those things and the people who value them packs a lot into your sense of "necessary," doesn't it?
    Necessary is subjective and only applies to those people who need or want it. I’m not looking to argue or get into philosophical debate. You’re picking apart my point and making it something much larger than it is. Too much for me on a Saturday morning so you win. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,533
    Fellow 10Cs
    while I share the anxiety, disappointment, frustration we all have gone through this last week or so regarding leg 1 of this tour: 10C request, verified fan sucking, public on sale with the goddamn blue man walking, or staying put, “2000+ in front of you”, and all the crap, I didn’t see anyone post something very interesting I noticed tonight:
    As of this post, about 10 hours after the public on sale, ONLY New York and Denver are showing tickets on StubHub.
    While there are over 300 total tickets for MSG listed (for now) that many or most of you deserve over the fucking dirtbags that steal and resell our much sought after tickets, can’t this be looked at as an actual overall victory?
    Zero postings for STL
    Zero postings for Nashville (which I personally was shut out of in 10C, verified fan, and public sale)
    Anyway, while the resell market is not limited to StubHub, my point is, doesn’t this appear, at least at a first glance, this process worked for us all?
    The majority of the tickets “look” to be in the hands of the Faithfull, and that, to me anyway, shows that this whole thing might just have worked the way it’s was intended. 
    I have to obviously note to myself that in a week, this post may backfire on me, but I fucking hate scalpers, I hate TM even more for “feeing” the shit out of reasonable concert tickets, and just overall being dicks, but I cannot help but feel like the band and this process did in fact work more for us than against us.

Their goal in ticketing life is to eliminate scalping.

but several decisions they made created the worst scalping situation in the history of concerts.

when you insist on your right to play where you want and not line up with demand, and in effect play zero shows in the east, and limit the power of fans to buy and sell, you get the MSG debacle of 2020. For the record books.
    edited January 2020
    I got incredibly lucky and scored a $40 ticket to Charlottesville on StuHub back in 2013. But the cheapest for Charlotte was around $1,000. It's all a lottery either way when it comes to tickets to big acts nowadays. 

I commend PJ/10 Club on this sale. They probably got what they could. The flat fee was also welcomed. I caught 3 Metallica shows last year and paid 3 different prices. Their management talked about raising prices 3 times over with no pushback in an article from 2016. They'd love for RHCP to Tour more, but Flea doesn't want to go out unless they have new music to play. Cheers to Flea for not wanting to become a heritage act. :rock_on: There's a ton of bands that just go out and flog their greatest hits year after year. Look at the Trifecta of Hair Metal Nostalgia Tour that'll be hitting stadiums this Summer, lol.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7290324/q-prime-cliff-burnstein-peter-mensch-managing-metallica-33-years

Adam Ruins Everything did an episode about the concert market that was very eye opening a few months back. The current concert market is a free for all, really. Pearl Jam is one of the few big bands that actually does try to look out for its' fans in this respect. 

Post edited by erocshifty on
  • ejk1280ejk1280 Posts: 84
    Fellow 10Cs
    Zero postings for STL

but several decisions they made created the worst scalping situation in the history of concerts.

when you insist on your right to play where you want and not line up with demand, and in effect play zero shows in the east, and limit the power of fans to buy and sell, you get the MSG debacle of 2020. For the record books.
    Bingo.  I’ve come to the realization that I’m biting the bullet now rather then later for MSG. This ticket isn’t falling back to earth anytime soon.  It will be disgusting to see prices closer to the show.  
    Fellow 10Cs
    Zero postings for STL

Serious question: wouldn't refusing to play in NY (and CO, and any other states with similar transferability laws) be a solution? Yes, playing more shows might ameliorate things, but adding another MSG show wouldn't eliminate the secondary market. So, setting aside the scalpers' efforts to find workarounds for the other shows (like we're seeing on Ebay), wouldn't playing only in states where they can restrict resale to the F2F system solve the problem you describe?
    ecdanc said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Sigh. 
    Sigh what? Did you get tickets through the lottery? I didn’t. So what? I shouldn’t buy on stubhub if I can’t score an extra pair from a fellow member,  who isn’t trying to trade an extra pair for another show? I don’t get the sigh 

I’m in that camp. Hated scalpers but I guess you don’t know what you got till it’s gone? I will need to go to the secondary market for msg. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,532
    I am really curious how the F2F works out.  Obviously in a restricted market the scalpers won't be scooping up these tickets for the same reasons mentioned above (i.e. who the hell is going to pay for a ticketmaster login) and it might just end up being perfect.

This might be the true solution to scalping.  If so I like it.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    ecdanc said:
    Fellow 10Cs
    Zero postings for STL

Serious question: wouldn't refusing to play in NY (and CO, and any other states with similar transferability laws) be a solution? Yes, playing more shows might ameliorate things, but adding another MSG show wouldn't eliminate the secondary market. So, setting aside the scalpers' efforts to find workarounds for the other shows (like we're seeing on Ebay), wouldn't playing only in states where they can restrict resale to the F2F system solve the problem you describe?
    No way. Msg doesn’t need PJ to play that building. They’ll be fine without them. One band , no matter how big, will not make a dent.