The coronavirus

Comments

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    I got the first dose of the Moderna vaccine about 4 hours ago. I asked our facility head how many staff had signed up for it. He said right around 35%. So much for herd immunity. 
    They should not be allowed to work close to patients during a pandemic then.

But I guess we all are in the hands of the health care workers now - and at the same time could also be their bitch. 
    I am not in health care, I work in the maintenance department at a correctional facility.  Because of the amount of people in close contact, we were considered at high risk for infection and spread. 
    Oh, sorry - I read your post wrong. I read it as you asking the hospital staff giving you the vaccine, like out of curiosity and got that answer.

Sorry.
    No problem. I probably should have been clearer. I can see how you could think that though because a shocking amount of health care workers are not getting the vaccine either. One of my daughters is a nurse and many of her coworkers won’t get it. My other daughter works in admissions at a children’s hospital and many of them aren’t getting it either. Both of my daughters have already gotten their first doses. 
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Holy shit 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    don't take the bait....the publication quoted there is a well known anti-vaccine group.
    Read the linked USA Today story, absent the garbage editorializing from a anti vaxxer.

They will investigate....the guy did die but just because the wife thinks it is 100% due to the shot doesn't mean we need to be worried.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    GlowGirl said:
    I got the first dose of the Moderna vaccine about 4 hours ago. I asked our facility head how many staff had signed up for it. He said right around 35%. So much for herd immunity. 
    Congrats. My sister got the Moderna vaccine 2 weeks ago. She had no side effects. She is due for her second shot in a few weeks. I hope no side effects come from that either. Let us know how you are doing tonight. 
    About 24 hours in and I have a headache, low grade fever, my arm is pretty sore and I have the sudden urge to buy Microsoft products. 🤔
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    GlowGirl said:
    Congrats. My sister got the Moderna vaccine 2 weeks ago. She had no side effects. She is due for her second shot in a few weeks. I hope no side effects come from that either. Let us know how you are doing tonight. 
    About 24 hours in and I have a headache, low grade fever, my arm is pretty sore and I have the sudden urge to buy Microsoft products. 🤔
    Ha!

Also, I dig that mask. Was it a purchase or did your facility hand those out?
    Hobbes said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Ha!

Also, I dig that mask. Was it a purchase or did your facility hand those out?
    They gave them to us along with a sticker during the 15 minute waiting period to leave after the injection. The people administrating and giving us the injections was the Indiana National Guard medical unit. 
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    don't take the bait....the publication quoted there is a well known anti-vaccine group.
    Read the linked USA Today story, absent the garbage editorializing from a anti vaxxer.

They will investigate....the guy did die but just because the wife thinks it is 100% due to the shot doesn't mean we need to be worried.
    We don't know..this story came up from different sources..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    23scidoo said:

We don't know..this story came up from different sources..
    No worries.
    I think this sort of article shows how important it is to understand what the source is....and to see what is opinion vs fact.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • With New Law, Sweden Gains Power to Impose Coronavirus Restrictions

Parliament has approved an emergency law allowing the government to place limits on public places, fine individuals and order businesses to close down.

Parliament on Friday passed an emergency law that will allow the government to limit the number of people in shops, businesses and public places, like theaters and public swimming pools, or even order their closure in case of violations. The government will also be able to fine individuals for breaking coronavirus rules.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/09/world/europe/sweden-coronavirus-restrictions.html
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

With New Law, Sweden Gains Power to Impose Coronavirus Restrictions

Parliament has approved an emergency law allowing the government to place limits on public places, fine individuals and order businesses to close down.

Parliament on Friday passed an emergency law that will allow the government to limit the number of people in shops, businesses and public places, like theaters and public swimming pools, or even order their closure in case of violations. The government will also be able to fine individuals for breaking coronavirus rules.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/09/world/europe/sweden-coronavirus-restrictions.html
    Sounds like LA.  And so many other US cities. I hope it (ie, its citizens) helps. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    edited January 2021
    Good news for Canadians. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/anita-anand-covid-19-vaccine-rollout-1.5867870

Procurement Minister Anita Anand says Canada doesn't need to approve additional vaccine candidates to meet its goal of inoculating everyone who wants a COVID-19 shot by September and that its target could be reached ahead of schedule. 

Canada gave the green light to Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna's messenger RNA vaccines last month, but independent regulators are still reviewing other candidates, such as the AstraZeneca-Oxford product.

"Prior to Christmas ... we exercised 20 million options of Moderna. So that allows us to have 40 million doses of Moderna now in addition to our 20 million Pfizer doses," Anand said on Sunday in an interview on Rosemary Barton Live. "That allows us to hit about 30 million Canadians."

Both vaccines must be administered twice. 

Under the contracts it has signed, Ottawa can still receive up to 56 million more doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. Anand told CBC Chief Political Correspondent Rosemary Barton that discussions are ongoing to exercise that option.

"We will be on track, without doubt, to ensure inoculations for all Canadians who want it by the end of September, if not sooner," she said. "That is the goal that I am pursuing every single day, moving up that end of September timeline so that we can see ourselves through to the other side of this pandemic as quickly as possible."

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJNB said:
    Good news for Canadians. 

Procurement Minister Anita Anand says Canada doesn't need to approve additional vaccine candidates to meet its goal of inoculating everyone who wants a COVID-19 shot by September and that its target could be reached ahead of schedule. 

Canada gave the green light to Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna's messenger RNA vaccines last month, but independent regulators are still reviewing other candidates, such as the AstraZeneca-Oxford product.

"Prior to Christmas ... we exercised 20 million options of Moderna. So that allows us to have 40 million doses of Moderna now in addition to our 20 million Pfizer doses," Anand said on Sunday in an interview on Rosemary Barton Live. "That allows us to hit about 30 million Canadians."

Under the contracts it has signed, Ottawa can still receive up to 56 million more doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. Anand told CBC Chief Political Correspondent Rosemary Barton that discussions are ongoing to exercise that option.

"We will be on track, without doubt, to ensure inoculations for all Canadians who want it by the end of September, if not sooner," she said. "That is the goal that I am pursuing every single day, moving up that end of September timeline so that we can see ourselves through to the other side of this pandemic as quickly as possible."

i'd like to know why the feds are saying this while my premier says only 70% of manitobans by end of 2021. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJNB said:
    Good news for Canadians. 

While I agree this is good news, I think that we should continue to evaluate candidate vaccines  and aim to approve at least one non-mRNA vaccine. A chunk of people are not fully vaccine hesitant but may refuse the mRNA options because they have all sorts of unfounded fears and beliefs. Also of course it’s good to have options because who knows, we may yet find out that the mRNA vaccines don’t work as well for some subset of people and that a conventional option is better. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,396
    edited January 2021
    If 16% of 37.7 million Canadians are under 16, how many extra doses do we have if 100% of the remaining Canadians take the vaccine?

Edit: A bit more than 6.5 million?
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    PJNB said:
    Good news for Canadians. 

i'd like to know why the feds are saying this while my premier says only 70% of manitobans by end of 2021. 
    I can think of two things.   Right now from what I've read, is that they're struggling to get out the doses.  IE in order to inoculate the Canadian population of 37 million people by September.  thats 9 months.  4 million people per month.... it's going at a crawl right now... hopefully they can get it moving.

The other is the delivery of the vaccines.  We preordered a bunch but I have no idea how long its going to take for us to get them all.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    I was joking the other day that if they offered vaccines at the McDonald's drive-thru, the US would reach herd immunity in no time. Not too far fetched, apparently (sans the McDs).

OHSU hold first pilot drive-thru COVID-19 vaccination clinic in Oregon (msn.com)
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited January 2021
    Zod said:
    PJNB said:
    Good news for Canadians. 

I can think of two things.   Right now from what I've read, is that they're struggling to get out the doses.  IE in order to inoculate the Canadian population of 37 million people by September.  thats 9 months.  4 million people per month.... it's going at a crawl right now... hopefully they can get it moving.

The other is the delivery of the vaccines.  We preordered a bunch but I have no idea how long its going to take for us to get them all.
    i guess i just don't understand the disconnect. so the feds are basically throwing the provinces under the bus by saying "we have the doses to get everyone the shot by september, if it fails, talk to you premier"?

we have a major vaccination centre set up already (our convention centre in the heart of downtown winnipeg). it's barely being used yet. WTF?

anecdote: my wife had a conversation with a customer who is a doctor. the province is begging for health professionals to volunteer to vaccinate people. you can apply and either get paid or volunteer your time. she offered to volunteer her time. she hasn't heard yet and that was 3 weeks ago. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Hobbes said:
    I was joking the other day that if they offered vaccines at the McDonald's drive-thru, the US would reach herd immunity in no time. Not too far fetched, apparently (sans the McDs).

OHSU hold first pilot drive-thru COVID-19 vaccination clinic in Oregon (msn.com)
    We've got drive through Covid testing, no reason we can't do vaccines that way as well.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,423
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    On the bright side, I read this morning that the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) has found “no evidence of community circulation of influenza,” across the country, despite heightened testing levels.

So all of this masking and hand washing and social distancing is working like a hot damn for influenza at least.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Just got my first shot (Moderna).  Still waiting on the superpowers...but I’m hoping for telekinesis!
    edited January 2021
    PJPOWER said:
    Just got my first shot (Moderna).  Still waiting on the superpowers...but I’m hoping for telekinesis!
    I got mine Saturday. Unless you consider a sore arm a super power, I wouldn't hold my breath. Or my shot could have been a dud.
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on
    edited January 2021
    PJPOWER said:
    I got mine Saturday. Unless you consider a sore arm a super power, I wouldn't hold my breath. Or my shot could have been a dud.
    Hopefully not a dud!  
    My wife said her arm was a little sore, but I don’t have any injection site soreness or anything yet.  Have you run any fever or anything from it yet?  The nurse I spoke to said none of the nurses that got vaccinated at the same time as she had any side effects, so hopefully they are rare.
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Hopefully not a dud!  
    My wife said her arm was a little sore, but I don’t have any injection site soreness or anything yet.  Have you run any fever or anything from it yet?  The nurse I spoke to said none of the nurses that got vaccinated at the same time as she had any side effects, so hopefully they are rare.
    A low grade fever 99.9 the next morning and a mild headache most of the day, but nothing too bad. My arm probably wouldn't have been too bad had I not used it to bump open a frozen garage door. 
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Hopefully not a dud!  
    A low grade fever 99.9 the next morning and a mild headache most of the day, but nothing too bad. My arm probably wouldn't have been too bad had I not used it to bump open a frozen garage door. 
    Excellent, thanks for the info!
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I just spoke with my cousin who lives in London. She said lots of folks are out during the day, mostly walking or at the park. And only about half, if any, wear masks. I told her how things are here (yesterday a large group of anti-maskers swarmed into a local store and harassed the staff and masked customers; similar incidents occur almost daily), and we marveled at the week’s happening at the Capitol. Unheard of. 

Interesting to hear the perspective of a family member abroad.

And she still can’t wait to visit the States again! Mostly to see the clan, but still. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    hedonist said:
    I just spoke with my cousin who lives in London. She said lots of folks are out during the day, mostly walking or at the park. And only about half, if any, wear masks. I told her how things are here (yesterday a large group of anti-maskers swarmed into a local store and harassed the staff and masked customers; similar incidents occur almost daily), and we marveled at the week’s happening at the Capitol. Unheard of. 

Interesting to hear the perspective of a family member abroad.

And she still can’t wait to visit the States again! Mostly to see the clan, but still. 
    I'm just curious, have you or anyone else here actually seen anything like that? I saw a story on the news like that. But I can't even remember the last time I saw a single person in public not wearing a mask. Its been months. And I do most of the shopping for the house, we flew twice over the summer. I've never actually seen an issue with anyone wearing a mask. Have I just been lucky, Because I certainly wouldn't describe that as how things are here. I just assumed its one of those things where it happens once and makes national news. But isn't very wide spread at all. Or is that wrong?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited January 2021
    Had to go shopping for a USB-C to USB 3 adapter today. And I say here in Sweden, 1 in 15 has a mask. If even that. If you didn't count people with roots in asia (and to some extent the middle east region) - it would be 1 in ever 50 or something.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
This discussion has been closed.