The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,679
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    Today the President of the United States tweeted:

----------Donald J Trump
    The food is GREAT at Sammy’s Mexican Grill in Phoenix, Arizona. Congratulations to Betty & Jorge Rivas on doing such a wonderful job. I will try hard to stop by the next time I am in Phoenix. Support Sammy’s!

@foxandfriends ---------------

Builds confidence knowing the POTUS is doing YELP reviews for burritos  ,,,, F-ing Insane !!!!

BTW -  Sammy's is in Tucson,   :o.... not Phoenix
    In fairness,  there's only a desert and 120 miles between the two.  

Being a Yelper is just another similarity between Trump and Eric Cartman.  There's about 300 of them. 
    Casa grande extends out from the middle of both cities and almost makes it one big city now.

I remember when there was baron desert and places like Gilbert and Mesa were specks.
    I don't know.. I drove that last fall and it was pretty friggin' barren for about an hour.  
  • Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,178
    PANIC & RUN!!! It's basically the Flu people relax....
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,679
    The flu has a mortality rate of 1/10 of 1%.  This is somewhere between 1.5 to 2%.  
  • Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,178

IF the whole world comes down with the flu and 3% die then we would lose 51,000,000 people.

OK boomers...

However the whole world will not come down with it..OK Paranoid playhouse Act I..Just wash your hands and cover your mouth and you'll be fine. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,853
    it's 20 times deadlier. so, there's that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658

As much as I urge everyone to be calm , this is not the Flu , the mortality rate is 2% instead of 0.1% (Flu). I know its a message board but people saying stuff that is not true are just spreading misinformation.

Wash your hands , avoid large crowds if you can , don't go out if you are sick.

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    there are 7 billion people on the planet. if .02% of them die from this bug that is 140 million dead.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,124
    Where do you get your information from?

Because you doesn't seem to get correct information. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    Where do you get your information from?

Because you doesn't seem to get correct information. 
    He/she stated the Democrats control both houses of government..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    there are 7 billion people on the planet. if .02% of them die from this bug that is 140 million dead.
    I’m going to go ahead and take the under.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    crew60crew60 Posts: 14
    Ouch. 
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,544
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,766

IF the whole world comes down with the flu and 3% die then we would lose 51,000,000 people.

OK boomers...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaIqxEgAWBU

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    29 cases in Australia and 1 dead.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I finally had the chance to talk to two people I know in the medical profession- one with at least 30 years as an RN in anesthesiology, the other a brilliant young woman who was basically wooed by Stanford Hospital to join their staff.  They tell me:

-Both believe that threat imposed by this virus is blown out of proportion.   (I see the media exacerbating this perception- at least at this point in time.  We saw the same thing happen with SARS, Avian Flu, etc.  The media loves a good story.  The news is instilling more fear than is called for.)

-Wearing a mask will not prevent COVID-19 (but should be worn by anyone testing positive).  Having a few on hand isn't a bad idea but panic buying and hoarding of masks is making them hard to come by for those who need them in some areas of medicine- health workers, people working in compounding pharmacies, etc.  The panic buying is not helping matters and people need to stop buying them unless absolutely necessary.

-The best defense includes keeping hands off of one's face both strongly stressed this point.  The average person touches their face many times a day- hundreds of times , some as many as 2,000 times- and are most often unaware of doing so.  We would do well to try to stop doing this as much as possible. I stopped myself from doing so at least three times writing this.  I'm trying to improve my awareness.

-Hygiene, of course, was stressed by both.  Everyone has heard about washing hands by now.  Warm water and soap, minimum of 20 seconds washing.

-Both believe the precautions are called for, but hysteria is not.  Both talked calmly about the situation and mentioned that most people who do get the virus come through just fine. 

-One of them told me that taking zinc and other supplements and vitamins will not prevent the virus or the flu but, along with a good diet and exercise, can help boost one's immune system and which, of course, is helpful.

-One of them mentioned that their family keeps on hand extra food, water and supplies the way they always do in case of an earthquake or other emergency, but felt that panic buying and hoarding is uncalled for. 

I would include the idea that it is OK to keep current with the news on this matter but to not obsess over it.  Stress only lowers one's immune system and makes matter worse.  Take time to relax, so something interesting or fun, have a good life whenever possible. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,064
    Great post brian. I for one am overwhelmed  mentally  without  this added. I 4 kids of varying age. Youngest 2. Eldest 21 asthmatic. I have been waiting 15 ( as a health anxiety  sufferer) for this to happen . 
    Which proves to anyone it matters not if you worry. All you do is waste your  days
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Infected in the world Tuesday, March 3:
    Number infected: 90,933
    Number of dead: 3,119
    Number recovered: 48 215

Infected in Sweden:
    1. Woman in Jönköping who has been to China (31/1)
    2. Man in Västra Götaland who has been in Italy (26/2)
    3. Woman in Uppsala who has been to Germany (27/2)
    4. Person in Västra Götaland who has been to Northern Italy (27/2)
    5. Person in Västra Götaland who is linked to number 2 (27/2)
    6. Person in Västra Götaland who is linked to number 2 (27/2)
    7. Woman in Stockholm who has been to Iran (27/2)
    8. Man in Jönköping who has been in northern Italy (28/2)
    9. Woman in Uppsala who has been to Iran (28/2)
    10. Person in Stockholm linked to number 7 (28/2)
    11. Person in Stockholm linked to number 7 (28/2)
    12. Person in West Götaland who has been to Iran (29/2)
    13. Person in Stockholm who is linked to number 7 (29/2)
    14. Person in Västra Götaland who is connected to cases in the region (1/3)
    15. Person in Stockholm who has been in northern Italy (2/3)
    16. Woman in Jönköping who has been in northern Italy together with number 8 (3/3)
    17. Three people in Västra Götaland who have been in northern Italy (3/3)
    18. Person in the Gothenburg area who has been in northern Italy together with 17 and 19. (3/3)
    19. Person in the Gothenburg area who has been in northern Italy together with 17 and 18 (3/3)
    20. Person in Skåne who has been in northern Italy. (3/3).
    21. Person in Stockholm who has been in northern Italy (3/3)
    22. Person in the Stockholm area who has been in northern Italy (3/3)
    23. Person in the Stockholm area who has been in northern Italy (3/3)
    24. Person in the Stockholm area who has been in northern Italy (3/3)

BOO! NORTHERN ITALY!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,919
      last week tonight

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    So...common sense shit we’ve heard time and again. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    brianlux said:
    I finally had the chance to talk to two people I know in the medical profession- one with at least 30 years as an RN in anesthesiology, the other a brilliant young woman who was basically wooed by Stanford Hospital to join their staff.  They tell me:

-Both believe that threat imposed by this virus is blown out of proportion.   (I see the media exacerbating this perception- at least at this point in time.  We saw the same thing happen with SARS, Avian Flu, etc.  The media loves a good story.  The news is instilling more fear than is called for.)

-Wearing a mask will not prevent COVID-19 (but should be worn by anyone testing positive).  Having a few on hand isn't a bad idea but panic buying and hoarding of masks is making them hard to come by for those who need them in some areas of medicine- health workers, people working in compounding pharmacies, etc.  The panic buying is not helping matters and people need to stop buying them unless absolutely necessary.

-The best defense includes keeping hands off of one's face both strongly stressed this point.  The average person touches their face many times a day- hundreds of times , some as many as 2,000 times- and are most often unaware of doing so.  We would do well to try to stop doing this as much as possible. I stopped myself from doing so at least three times writing this.  I'm trying to improve my awareness.

-Hygiene, of course, was stressed by both.  Everyone has heard about washing hands by now.  Warm water and soap, minimum of 20 seconds washing.

-Both believe the precautions are called for, but hysteria is not.  Both talked calmly about the situation and mentioned that most people who do get the virus come through just fine. 

-One of them told me that taking zinc and other supplements and vitamins will not prevent the virus or the flu but, along with a good diet and exercise, can help boost one's immune system and which, of course, is helpful.

-One of them mentioned that their family keeps on hand extra food, water and supplies the way they always do in case of an earthquake or other emergency, but felt that panic buying and hoarding is uncalled for. 

I would include the idea that it is OK to keep current with the news on this matter but to not obsess over it.  Stress only lowers one's immune system and makes matter worse.  Take time to relax, so something interesting or fun, have a good life whenever possible. 
    About the most sensible thing I've read/seen/heard regarding this whole uproar.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

What shit, Hedonist?  What Oliver said or what I wrote?

• Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011
    20 seconds is much longer than people seem to realize. Sing happy birthday TWICE. That is about 20 seconds.

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,774
    20 seconds is much longer than people seem to realize. Sing happy birthday TWICE. That is about 20 seconds.

I must sing slow. I get 25 seconds out of that. :) Seriously, washing hands is so important for our health any time.

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options

Figured this out when I was told to brush my teeth for a set amount of time. 

Time is slow.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

Figured this out when I was told to brush my teeth for a set amount of time. 

Time is slow.
    Time is nothing more than a social construct, liberate yourself!
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

What shit, Hedonist?  What Oliver said or what I wrote?
    I didn’t mean “shit” in a disparaging way...just that these are basic common sense precautions that the reputable organizations have been touting. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,838
    I do not trust any numbers on this virus just yet. How many people have been infected and either did not show signs or symptoms of the virus or did and did not bother to see medical attention? The people that have unfortunately died from this virus are probably all accounted for. Those that have the virus however are not. 

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,853
    PJNB said:
    I do not trust any numbers on this virus just yet. How many people have been infected and either did not show signs or symptoms of the virus or did and did not bother to see medical attention? The people that have unfortunately died from this virus are probably all accounted for. Those that have the virus however are not. 

especially when you can be contagious without any symptoms whatsoever. that's kinda scary. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    PJNB said:

especially when you can be contagious without any symptoms whatsoever. that's kinda scary. 

This to me is the one thing that does scary me a bit , low 40's no health issues that would complicate things , so with that said my worry would be more that I would have it months from now and not realize it thinking it is just a cold and a bunch of old folks die because of it. At least that is were I see this getting scary , it seems under 60 you are pretty much good ( I know some have passed that are younger but much like the flu sometimes you can be totally health get the flu and that is it ) but those over are much more at risk.

Our CEO sent out a company wide email today asking that if you have a cold to please stay home , just in case.

This discussion has been closed.