Options

Toronto roll call

Comments

• Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,576
    Anyone else away for March Break and flying back home for the show/s?
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    halshakarchihalshakarchi Toronto Posts: 176
    2 more weeks, can you believe it?
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,804
    100 Pacer said:
    Anyone else away for March Break and flying back home for the show/s?
    My 12 year old has a Select hockey tournament in Niagara Fall on the Monday , Tuesday with the semis and finals on Wednesday.  Championship game is at 3pm.  Potential coming in hot for the show.  
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    TorontonianTorontonian Posts: 539

Published on March 4th, 2020 | by Alan Cross

Toronto’s refurbished El Mocambo: It’s real and it’s spectacular.

A few weeks back, I had a private tour of the new-look El Mocambo, which has been under renovation forever. With a total of $22 million sunk into it by Bay Street/Dragon’s Den music fan Michael Wekerle, music fans would be correct in expecting something truly specatular.

It is. Trust me.

This week there was a media walkthrough hosted by Weks himself. And now that the cat’s out of the bag, I can tell you what I saw for myself last month.

• No expense has been spared when it comes to equipment, design, decor, and level of detail. I guarantee people will spend hours gazing at the wallpaper. And when you do get inside, pay close attention to the staircase railings. THAT’S attention to detail.
    • Construction dug down ten 10 feet (the basement now features luxurious washrooms and an industrial-sized kitchen) and built up another 20 to create a balcony overlooking the stage on the second floor.
    • Wait: Back up. The main floor has its own performance space with a capacity of 300 people. The stage is solid concrete and the house PA is state-of-the-art. There are video streams (capable of 20K–yes, that’s right–resolution) everywhere. Most everything can be controlled through an iPad.
    • The second floor has a capacity of about 400. The huge stage (solid concrete again) is flanked by the old ElMo sign that used to hang over the sidewalk. It was cut in half so it perfectly frames the stage. More video screens everywhere. A huge bar. A tiki bar is tucked away on the balcony.
    • The third floor also features a state-of-the-art recording facility with a 96-channel SSL board. Producers and engineers will be able to capture audio from anywhere in the building. Design was overseen by famed producer Eddie Kramer (Jimi Hendrix’s favourite producer) who was basically given a blank cheque.
    • Next door is a TV control room that controls the umpteen cameras throughout the venue.
    • Next to that is a voice booth for things like vocal recordings and radio broadcasts.
    • The building has an amazing amount of bandwidth available for streaming content to the world. And the electrical system indestructible. No one’s gonna blow a fuse in this place.
    • The whole place is designed for maximum selfies. You’ll see what I mean when you go inside. (I especially like the collection of custom-made interior neon signs, including two on the second floor.)
    • Everything is totally and utterly isolated from an acoustic point of view. A band will be able to blast at full volume from the basement and not be heard upstairs and vice-versa.
    • Artists and load-in will be at the back with ultra-wide doors. An elevator will whisk performers directly up to to a third-floor dressing room (which, by the way, will also be equipped for recording opportunities.)
    • In other words, the Elmo will not just be a music venue and event space. but a full-on content creation factory. There won’t be a better place to record a live album or a performance video. It can be rented as a rehearsal space for big-time tours. It’ll be suitable for shooting TV shows. Companies wanting to hold special events for employees/shareholders/investors will have all kinds of technology at their disposal.
    • It’s clean. Unbelievably clean. And slick. And cool.

Do not make the mistake in thinking that the new Elmo is just a refurbished music club featuring bands and serving beer. It is not.

There has never been anything like this anywhere in Canada, let alone Toronto. In fact, this may be the best-equipped music venue in all of North America if not the world.

When will it open? Bets say next month. There have been talks with many big acts, including Pearl Jam, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Billy Idol, and more.

Stand by by for more. Much more. Trust me on this.

• Options
    guitar101guitar101 Sutton, ON Posts: 397

Published on March 4th, 2020 | by Alan Cross

Toronto’s refurbished El Mocambo: It’s real and it’s spectacular.

A few weeks back, I had a private tour of the new-look El Mocambo, which has been under renovation forever. With a total of $22 million sunk into it by Bay Street/Dragon’s Den music fan Michael Wekerle, music fans would be correct in expecting something truly specatular.

It is. Trust me.

This week there was a media walkthrough hosted by Weks himself. And now that the cat’s out of the bag, I can tell you what I saw for myself last month.

• No expense has been spared when it comes to equipment, design, decor, and level of detail. I guarantee people will spend hours gazing at the wallpaper. And when you do get inside, pay close attention to the staircase railings. THAT’S attention to detail.
    • Construction dug down ten 10 feet (the basement now features luxurious washrooms and an industrial-sized kitchen) and built up another 20 to create a balcony overlooking the stage on the second floor.
    • Wait: Back up. The main floor has its own performance space with a capacity of 300 people. The stage is solid concrete and the house PA is state-of-the-art. There are video streams (capable of 20K–yes, that’s right–resolution) everywhere. Most everything can be controlled through an iPad.
    • The second floor has a capacity of about 400. The huge stage (solid concrete again) is flanked by the old ElMo sign that used to hang over the sidewalk. It was cut in half so it perfectly frames the stage. More video screens everywhere. A huge bar. A tiki bar is tucked away on the balcony.
    • The third floor also features a state-of-the-art recording facility with a 96-channel SSL board. Producers and engineers will be able to capture audio from anywhere in the building. Design was overseen by famed producer Eddie Kramer (Jimi Hendrix’s favourite producer) who was basically given a blank cheque.
    • Next door is a TV control room that controls the umpteen cameras throughout the venue.
    • Next to that is a voice booth for things like vocal recordings and radio broadcasts.
    • The building has an amazing amount of bandwidth available for streaming content to the world. And the electrical system indestructible. No one’s gonna blow a fuse in this place.
    • The whole place is designed for maximum selfies. You’ll see what I mean when you go inside. (I especially like the collection of custom-made interior neon signs, including two on the second floor.)
    • Everything is totally and utterly isolated from an acoustic point of view. A band will be able to blast at full volume from the basement and not be heard upstairs and vice-versa.
    • Artists and load-in will be at the back with ultra-wide doors. An elevator will whisk performers directly up to to a third-floor dressing room (which, by the way, will also be equipped for recording opportunities.)
    • In other words, the Elmo will not just be a music venue and event space. but a full-on content creation factory. There won’t be a better place to record a live album or a performance video. It can be rented as a rehearsal space for big-time tours. It’ll be suitable for shooting TV shows. Companies wanting to hold special events for employees/shareholders/investors will have all kinds of technology at their disposal.
    • It’s clean. Unbelievably clean. And slick. And cool.

Do not make the mistake in thinking that the new Elmo is just a refurbished music club featuring bands and serving beer. It is not.

There has never been anything like this anywhere in Canada, let alone Toronto. In fact, this may be the best-equipped music venue in all of North America if not the world.

When will it open? Bets say next month. There have been talks with many big acts, including Pearl Jam, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Billy Idol, and more.

Stand by by for more. Much more. Trust me on this.

Im happy the elmo is back, but I still dont know what they're trying to do there.  The media walk throughs are reporting that tickets to shows there will range from $100-1000 .  I cant imagine what shows they're going to book in a 400 seat venue in that range.
    2005-9-12 London, ON
    2006-5-09 Toronto
    2007-8-03 (ed w/ ben harper) chicago / 2007-8-05 chicago
    2008-8-12 (ed solo) toronto
    2009-10-08 (ed solo) Albany
    2011-9-11 Toronto / 2011-9-12 Toronto
    2013-7-16 London, ON / 2013-7-19 Chicago / 2013-10-12 Buffalo
    2016-5-11 Toronto, On / 2016-5-13 Toronto, On
  • Options
    sp1984sp1984 New Hampshire Posts: 140
    2 more weeks, can you believe it?
    So excited! First time to Toronto! 
    Scored tix to Leafs-Devils and PJ (of course). Visiting the HHOF and Lee Restaurant. Can't wait for a mini-vacation
    Tampa 04/16
    Fenway 1 08/16
    Fenway 2 08/16
    Fenway 1 09/18
    Fenway 2 09/18
    PJ songs at our wedding: Love Reign O'er Me (1st dance); Sirens (last dance); Long Road (Momma-Son dance). 
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,984
    Pearl Jam Toronto Wishlist Foundation Preparty Fundraiser

P O S T E R S !

So grateful for these very generous donations. All will be on display and available for raffle. Poster tubes will also be available.

A very special thank you to:

Jay Dee
    Deonne Hamilton
    Ryan Punak
    Tim Mikitka
    Maxx Poliachik
    Marion Heintzman

• Options
    What are chances poster for Toronto incorporates a Raptor this year? That'd be a nice collector with them winning last season. I love the Blue Jay one, bought that instantly and framed.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,838
    12 DAYS!
  • Options
    guitar101guitar101 Sutton, ON Posts: 397
    What are chances poster for Toronto incorporates a Raptor this year? That'd be a nice collector with them winning last season. I love the Blue Jay one, bought that instantly and framed.

Id say odds are pretty good.  Wilcos toronto poster this past september was based around a raptors Jersey.
    2005-9-12 London, ON
    2006-5-09 Toronto
    2007-8-03 (ed w/ ben harper) chicago / 2007-8-05 chicago
    2008-8-12 (ed solo) toronto
    2009-10-08 (ed solo) Albany
    2011-9-11 Toronto / 2011-9-12 Toronto
    2013-7-16 London, ON / 2013-7-19 Chicago / 2013-10-12 Buffalo
    2016-5-11 Toronto, On / 2016-5-13 Toronto, On
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    12 DAYS!

• Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,883

Between the Blue Jay poster, the hockey jersey(s), and Binaural, the 2016 Toronto shows are the concerts I wish I'd been at. I will be rocking the white jersey at the Leafs game, though!
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,838
    demetrios said:
    PJNB said:
    12 DAYS!

• Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,576
    Brad’s dragons will forever represent the best Toronto poster.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    CoopNLCoopNL Posts: 6
    What are the chances that there will be access to merch before doors open (Outside booth)? What time do you think it would it open?

St. John's, NL - Mile One Stadium (Sept 24, 2005)

St. John's, NL - Mile One Stadium (Sept 25, 2005)

Toronto, ON - Air Canada Centre (May 9, 2006)

Toronto, ON - Air Canada Centre (May 10, 2006)

Ottawa, ON - Canadian Tire Centre (Sept 3, 2022)

• Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,804
    CoopNL said:
    What are the chances that there will be access to merch before doors open (Outside booth)? What time do you think it would it open?
    2016 shows had the merch set up in the lobby that separates the arena and union station.  It was a great set up and climate controlled.   I would assume they would do the same. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    PeterEDPeterED Posts: 365
    I'm counting on it. (I also have the Blue Jay poster framed and up in the house. The mouse poster is also very cool.)
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • Options
    Just received email from Ticketmaster .. Get Info About Your Mobile Tickets for Pearl Jam

• Options

Huge thank you to Jeff Legates and Mike Ides who generously donated all these incredible raffle prizes 🙏

• Options
    sp1984sp1984 New Hampshire Posts: 140
    edited March 2020
    Whether the show happens or not, 99% sure @mpedone and I will be in the City and enjoying what Toronto has to offer. Can't wait to party with  you guys! 

Or not. Just got to work and travel restrictions imposed on all patient care staff. 

Hopefully we get to hang when this all clears out.
    Post edited by sp1984 on
    Tampa 04/16
    Fenway 1 08/16
    Fenway 2 08/16
    Fenway 1 09/18
    Fenway 2 09/18
    PJ songs at our wedding: Love Reign O'er Me (1st dance); Sirens (last dance); Long Road (Momma-Son dance). 
  • Options

• Options
    We need a phantom relayer tonight 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• Options
    demetrios said:

I got the same notification. Sad day indeed

• Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,353
    15 years ago today, I saw the band for the first time at the Paramount Theater in Seattle.  Today would have been my 20th show.  Should have known it was too good to be true.  

Anyways was anyone else at that Seattle show 3/18/05? It’s a small venue so I’m genuinely curious if anyone else had the extra excitement of an anniversary today.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    gotsome420gotsome420 Posts: 528
    Just got a Google reminder. Pearl Jam Toronto...... Hope the shows get rescheduled soon and everyone in the bands camp stays healthy. See you all at the next show.
  • Options
    PJPATPJPAT Posts: 399
    I would be about halfway there by now.  Ironic that the border closes on the day I was going to be crossing it.  Listening to No Code today in memory of another Toronto road trip from that tour.  Peace!
    "All the money you make will never buy back your soul" Bob Dylan

"I need honesty, I need truth, and I need hope...I need it! That's what music means to me." EV
  • Options
    bobby dazzlersbobby dazzlers Posts: 2,009
    Heading out for a hike.

OCT - 5 - 2000 show going to be playing...first time seeing them.

It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,346
    Heading out for a hike.

OCT - 5 - 2000 show going to be playing...first time seeing them.

I remember it was raining that night going into the city. They opened with Sometimes....played a number of the Binaural tracks.... Sleight of Hand, Insignificance, etc.... Great time
  • Options
    Stay safe everybody! Catch you all in Toronto once all of this over.