Options

*** PEARL JAM - GIGATON ***

Comments

• Options
    CS160564 said:
    KN219077 said:
    Can you imagine being a fan hearing stuff like who you are for the first time? That was way out there for the band too, but has held up well over time. This album might (hopefully) have some tracks that push the fanbase
    When Who You Are came out I initially lost interest in Pearl Jam for awhile. They completely lost me with that one at the time. It turned me off of No Code as a whole too, which is a shame. It took me awhile to fully appreciate it. I still don’t love Who You Are, but I like it better with age and No Code is now in my Top 3 for sure. 

That being said I would love to hear something different with Gigaton. Even if it doesn’t hit with me right away. I have enough faith in the band to stick with it and let them take me in a new direction. I can’t fucking wait to hear it!
    I agree completely, I still don’t like ‘who you are’.  I love the fact the band want to challenge their fans, but making poor choices on singles releases isn’t challenging it’s just annoying.  The fact that the band still plays songs such as ‘Black’ at every gig and rarely play ‘Who You Are’ says to me that the majority of fans agree that some songs that weren’t chosen as singles should have been and some that were shouldn’t have.
    Yea. Agree with @Spiritual_Chaos that the single for No Code probably should have been Hail Hail. I was in High School at the time and I just remember that the buzz in the hallways after Who You Are was just brutal for Pearl Jam. They lost a lot of fans that I think never really came back after. It really might have changed their whole trajectory if they would've just picked a more palatable single like Hail Hail. Then again, I also think that the loss of fans that occurred with the release of No Code may actually be what allowed them to survive this long and still be playing & putting out music. So, I guess I'm happy that Who You Are was the single??? LOL 
    I wonder if they were on the track to "less buzz" anyways after VS and then Vitalogy with how different they were to Ten and with Vitalogy being weird with some big songs sprinkled in between.

So, I wonder if they had continued on the "Animal", "Go",  "Last Exit" etc path what would have happened in terms of radioplay etc. And them not having videos on MTV etc. 

Eddies Beverly Hills hotness can only take a band so many albums.
    I don't know. I mean Vitalogy was still huge and well received amongst me and my peers. It wasn't until No Code & the failed non-TM tour (how ironic) that their popularity dropped off a cliff in my opinion. 
    3-19-94, 8-18-98, 8-18-00, 10-08-00, 10-09-00, 11-06-00, 6-02-03, 6-03-03, 6-05-03, 6-06-03, 6-07-03, 10-25-03(bridge), 10-26-03(bridge), 10-28-03, 7-06-06, 7-07-06, 7-09-06, 7-10-06, 7-13-06, 7-22-06, 7-23-06, 8-5-07, 06-22-08, 06-24-08, 08-21-08(EV), 08-22-08(EV), 8-23-09, 8-24-09, 10-06-09, 10-07-09, 10-09-09, 05-07-10, 09-03-11, 09-04-11, 07-19-13, 10-16-14, 10-17-14, 10-19-14, 10-20-14, 04-26-16, 08-20-16, 08-22-16, 08-18-18, 08-20-18, 09-05-23, 09-18-23, 09-19-23.
  • Options
    When I heard the title of the single, I was seriously worried. Sounded like something off a New Age panpipe album. :s But listening to this clip, I'm suddenly excited. Kind of a Television/Talking Heads vibe that's still clearly Pearl Jam. =) Bring it on!

93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    Sounds very Strokesish
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    I NEED THIS SONG NOW TO GET LL COOL J - BIG OL’ BUTT OUT OF MY HEAD. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,497
    edited January 2020
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Billboard on the single:

Produced with Josh Evans, “Dance of the Clairvoyants” isn’t your typical slice of Pearl Jam. Opening with a kick and hats, with bass and then synth entering the soundscape, “Clairvoyants” has more in common with angsty post punk.  

Eddie Vedder hasn’t lost any venom. On it, he sings: “Expecting perfection, leaves a lot to ignore. When the past is the present and the future’s no more, every tomorrow’s the same as before.”

Their musical musical evolution is on display. "'Dance' was a perfect storm of experimentation and real collaboration," comments bass player Jeff Ament. "We’ve opened some new doors creatively and that’s exciting."

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/8548636/pearl-jam-synths-dance-of-the-clairvoyants

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Stone speaking about the creation of the song - VERY INTERESTING!

https://youtu.be/SI6hVmekhSc

How to play the song (that was quick):

https://youtu.be/3NtB82yFviU
  • Options
  • Options

• Options

• Options

Almost an hooooouuuur (read in the voice of Bill Burr)
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    hopefully this will be a tip on sleeve as well. 
    Just the tip? I’ve played that before. Fun times 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    hopefully this will be a tip on sleeve as well. 
    Just the tip? I’ve played that before. Fun times 
    mjau
  • Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    edited January 2020
    Sounds like there's going to be a good variety of tunes on Gigaton, per Stone in his interview with Zane Lowe. According to him, DotC is on the outer edge of experimentation with them, there will be some straight ahead rockers, ballads, etc. 

https://music.apple.com/us/post/sa.142a96d0-3d68-11ea-9614-0197bd081a9f?fbclid=IwAR2Vgf5vY5zSdRjLzbjOBRnQOOflp59c_OhLuFkroJUqGlrFPh1ZnQZiCS0
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    With the video and the themes for the new album it must be a tough time for flat-Earth believing Anthropogenic Climate Change denying Pearl Jam fans.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    With the video and the themes for the new album it must be a tough time for flat-Earth believing Anthropogenic Climate Change denying Pearl Jam fans.
    Well, to be fair, they're also probably Trump supporters, so they've been in a state of cognitive dissonance for the better part of 4 years anyway. They may just ignore it, or not even notice.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options

Almost an hooooouuuur (read in the voice of Bill Burr)
    That's wonderful news
  • Options

• Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,102
    mschostok said:
    Sounds like there's going to be a good variety of tunes on Gigaton, per Stone in his interview with Zane Lowe. According to him, DotC is on the outer edge of experimentation with them, there will be some straight ahead rockers, ballads, etc. 

https://music.apple.com/us/post/sa.142a96d0-3d68-11ea-9614-0197bd081a9f?fbclid=IwAR2Vgf5vY5zSdRjLzbjOBRnQOOflp59c_OhLuFkroJUqGlrFPh1ZnQZiCS0
    The word “ballads” kind of scares me. I don’t think they’ve written a really good ballad I. A loooooong time.
  • Options
    EarlWelsh said:
    mschostok said:

The word “ballads” kind of scares me. I don’t think they’ve written a really good ballad I. A loooooong time.
    Yeah I didn't want to hear that either. The days of Black, Nothingman, and Off He Goes are long gone. We are now in the days of Just Breathe, Yellow Moon and Future Days. Nothing against those songs. I know a lot of people like them. But they're not for me. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    EarlWelsh said:
    mschostok said:

Yeah I didn't want to hear that either. The days of Black, Nothingman, and Off He Goes are long gone. We are now in the days of Just Breathe, Yellow Moon and Future Days. Nothing against those songs. I know a lot of people like them. But they're not for me. 
    replace yellow moon with the end. 

yellow moon is great. 
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    edited January 2020
    EarlWelsh said:
    mschostok said:

yellow moon is great. 
    Yep - the only thing that kept Charlottesville 2013 from being a perfect PJ show was the inclusion of both "The End" and "Future Days" instead of "Yellow Moon". I love that song. It gives me big time Neil Young vibes. Both BS and LB ended with a thud because of those songs. 
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    EarlWelsh said:
    mschostok said:

yellow moon is great. 
    I agree on The End. But having just listened to Yellow Moon for the first time in about five years, I'm stick by saying that's not for me. I've just personally never been that into PJ's softer songs, with a few exceptions of course. My joke after "Come Back" was released was that I love Pearl Jam, but I'm not the biggest fan of Pearl Adult Contemporary. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    EarlWelsh said:
    mschostok said:

yellow moon is great. 
    I agree on The End. But having just listened to Yellow Moon for the first time in about five years, I'm stick by saying that's not for me. I've just personally never been that into PJ's softer songs, with a few exceptions of course. My joke after "Come Back" was released was that I love Pearl Jam, but I'm not the biggest fan of Pearl Adult Contemporary. 
    I agree, just could never get the love for Yellow Moon. But back to Gigaton, I'm really excited to hear how this all turns out. It sounds like they are pumped about it, which makes me even more excited. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    mschostok said:
    EarlWelsh said:
    mschostok said:

yellow moon is great. 
    I agree, just could never get the love for Yellow Moon. But back to Gigaton, I'm really excited to hear how this all turns out. It sounds like they are pumped about it, which makes me even more excited. 
    Agreed

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Also something I noticed: they're using the promo photos from Lightning Bolt on everything Gigaton so far. I'm curious as to why they haven't done any newer photoshoots for the new album. Just a thought.
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 168
    Yellow Moon is the best track on Lightning Bolt.

• Options
    Tjm007 said:
    Yellow Moon is the best track on Lightning Bolt.

Are you being held against your will or something? Blink twice for yes.
  • Options
    mschostok said:
    Also something I noticed: they're using the promo photos from Lightning Bolt on everything Gigaton so far. I'm curious as to why they haven't done any newer photoshoots for the new album. Just a thought.
    New shots will be out for the big PR push closer to release. I would bet