RIP Neil Peart

2»

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,641

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,445
    the ravens-titans game just went to commercial with tom sawyer :smiley:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,413
    Man, this sucks.

Not a big Rush fan but saw them twice and Neil Pert is the best drummer i've seen. 

RIP
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I walked to their music this afternoon. It brought a smile amid the loss. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    never saw them, wasn't a big fan of their music, but no denying the incredible talent. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

Could you imagine this in real life while sitting on that stool in the middle? Incredible. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    I cannot. I can barely multitask these days!

He was a master. 

I was lucky to see them once in ‘79 or ‘80. D too: he was floored. 
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Wobbie said:
    the ravens-titans game just went to commercial with tom sawyer :smiley:
    I noticed they did that during the Seahawks-Packers game tonight as well. Lots of nice tributes this weekend. RIP Mr Peart.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    At one time (up until 7 years ago to be exact), I'd seen Rush live more times than Pearl Jam. I've been shocked and moved by the deaths of familiar musicians before, but this one is hitting differently.  This one is personal.  Rush is the first band I ever took a deep dive into their catalog. They were the first band whose lyrics I attempted to interpret and understand the meaning.  They were the first band I ever saw live - which not only kicked off my love for seeing then, but seeing any band perform live in concert!  If it weren't for Rush, I probably wouldn't have seen Pearl Jam until much later.  Maybe I would've caught the live fever then, but I can't imagine going back and erasing all the years in between, all the other bands I saw in the meantime and ever since.  The travels, the friends along the way, the memories.
    I wouldn't have read The Masked Rider - which as a cyclist myself, was thrilled to learn the greatest drummer of all-time and my other favorite band not only enjoyed cycling, but wrote a book about one of his adventures.  I wouldn't have read Ghost Rider and learned the values of love and friendship and coping with loss. (Fitting time to re-read that one, I think.).
    There are only two bands of whom I own their entire catalog of music - Pearl Jam and Rush.  In so many ways, the words and music of these two bands have shaped my love and appreciation of not only music, but life.
    May you rock in peace, Mr. Peart!  You may be gone, but your mark is left upon the world.

"We are young wandering the face of the earth
    Wondering what our dreams might be worth
    Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time."

"The arrow flies while you breathe. The hours tick away, the cells tick away.
    The Watchmaker has time up his sleeve.
    The hours tick away - they tick away."
    -Neil Ellwood Peart, OC  (1952-2020)
    That was beautiful, Dyer. 
  • Mr.WHYMr.WHY Posts: 90
    I was always a RUSH fan 1st and every thing else no matter how much I liked, Just wouldn't do for me what RUSH did. But to speak of Neil Peart is to speak of a true humanist. Although he was anti-faith kind of guy, I think the creator will welcome him with open arms. 

Neil wrote this,

You can fight
    Fight without ever winning
    But never ever win
    Win without a fight

You can surrender without a prayer
    But never really pray,
    Pray without surrender

I just love these verses. But for me personally, Vapor Trails is the mans greatest gift to the world. I was at a very low point in my life when they came back with Vapor Trails. That album turned me around and got me back at the task.  Everything  one needs is on there because of what it is. It is his self expression of overcoming loss. He lost his wife and daughter within the same year. Spent 2 years riding a motorcycle all over the place, trying to find a way to heal. 

Secret Touch ...BAM!!!

Rest in Peace my dear friend.

I salute you 

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,811
    Mr.WHY said:
    I was always a RUSH fan 1st and every thing else no matter how much I liked, Just wouldn't do for me what RUSH did. But to speak of Neil Peart is to speak of a true humanist. Although he was anti-faith kind of guy, I think the creator will welcome him with open arms. 

Neil wrote this,

You can fight
    But never ever win
    Win without a fight

But never really pray,
    Pray without surrender

I just love these verses. But for me personally, Vapor Trails is the mans greatest gift to the world. I was at a very low point in my life when they came back with Vapor Trails. That album turned me around and got me back at the task.  Everything  one needs is on there because of what it is. It is his self expression of overcoming loss. He lost his wife and daughter within the same year. Spent 2 years riding a motorcycle all over the place, trying to find a way to heal. 

Secret Touch ...BAM!!!

I salute you 

Rush was the first concert I ever saw. Moving Pictures tour. Great band. I still have my ticket stub. 
    I think I do too, GG!  Somewhere.

I saw them in 1978, 79?  I don't even remember who, if anyone, opened for them...just that I was in total nirvana.
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Mr.WHY said:

Neil wrote this,

You can fight
    But never ever win
    Win without a fight

But never really pray,
    Pray without surrender

Secret Touch ...BAM!!!

I salute you 

Those lines of lyrics are from the song RESIST and are the VERY same lines I've on my video poker notes.  RUSH was and STILL is my number #1 rock band. I've seen them 50 times on the nose, Ive seen every tour since Grace Under Pressure except the Counterparts tour.

One of my favorite highlights in the many times seeing them was the Hold Your Fire tour was when they played Red Sector A I screamed that's one of my favorites. The girl behind me just about yelled said the same, I turned and looked her in the eye. She looked at me as if she didn't believe me. When the lyrics began I started singing them to her, she in turn sang them back to me. We stayed that way singing at each other as if we were rappers battling it out as to who would be the best. When we finished we laughed greeted each with high fives and a hug. Just one of many highlights over the years.

Lastly, on their final R40 tour I was see them 4 times but was only able to see one, I had a death in the family I drove to Tampa saw an awesome show and as usual they gave us everything. On the drive home one in the morning I started balling to the point I had to pull over. It dawned on me that was THE very last time I was going to see them live. I couldn't drive anymore of my 5 hour drive home I found a hotel to sleep my blues away.

Neil you were simply the best,
    Rest in Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)