Bourbon...

Why did the post below get shut down?  I was hoping to discuss the bourbon season with fellow bourbon enthusiasts (not looking to buy/sell/trade...only discuss).  So, how was your bourbon season?

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/262422/iso-pappy-van-winkle-bourbon#latest
...So much talk it makes no sense at all...

Comments

• smile6680smile6680 Posts: 379
    edited December 2019
    I don't know your price range but I tried Larceny recently and it was pretty good. Surprisingly up in the northeast we get a decent selection. Particularly over in New Hampshire. My good friend lived in Louisville so we used to visited a few of the distilleries. Any good suggestions? Michters was also decent
    Post edited by smile6680 on
  • It probably got shut down because the title says ISO. Change the title to bourbon discussion and it probably won’t be an issue.
  • Very happy to see a bourbon thread again. I missed the old one and don't think there was any good reason it got shut down. My season was pretty decent. Scored my first EH Taylor Barrel Proof. Also got a Weller 12 and came home last night with a Maker's Mark RC6. I think Stagg Jr batch 12 is my favorite of 2019 with Little Book Chapter 3 a close second...
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    edited December 2019
    Why did the post below get shut down?  I was hoping to discuss the bourbon season with fellow bourbon enthusiasts (not looking to buy/sell/trade...only discuss).  So, how was your bourbon season?

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/262422/iso-pappy-van-winkle-bourbon#latest

This would be why. Discuss it, but don't try to trade/buy/sell it. It's a legal thing.

I suspect that it might get moved to AET since it isn't a PJ music thing. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,692
    deadendp said:

This would be why. Discuss it, but don't try to trade/buy/sell it. It's a legal thing.

Kind of cracks me up how subjects that have no bearing whatsoever on the band and their music keep popping up on the porch. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• BRAIN0FJAYBRAIN0FJAY Posts: 989
    edited December 2019
    brianlux said:
    deadendp said:

Kind of cracks me up how subjects that have no bearing whatsoever on the band and their music keep popping up on the porch. 

Yeah.  It is pretty funny, hilarious if not hysterical, when someone inadvertently picks the wrong category when posting here...and the guilty post-creator has to patiently wait for the post to get moved to the appropriate category in hopes that the intended discussion can take place.
    Post edited by BRAIN0FJAY on
  • I would like to comment on this thread but it's in the wrong category. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    brianlux said:
    deadendp said:

Yeah.  It is pretty funny, hilarious if not hysterical, when someone inadvertently picks the wrong category when posting here...and the guilty post-creator has to patiently wait for the post to get moved to the appropriate category in hopes that the intended discussion can take place.
    You can move it. Just hit the lil wheel in the top right hand corner and edit it.

BTW, I wasn't picking. Sorry if it came across that way. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • deadendp said:
    brianlux said:
    deadendp said:

You can move it. Just hit the lil wheel in the top right hand corner and edit it.

BTW, I wasn't picking. Sorry if it came across that way. 
    No, you're good.  I'll see if I can relocate to a more appropriate category.  Thanks!
  • I picked up a bottle of Wild Turkey reserve at Costco....110 proof

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    40 bones 
  • 40 bones 
    I've got some of that too... Good stuff 

• SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 1,011
    ...Street!!! 

Come back to nola pearl jam
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    try willett potstill, great bourbon.  widow jane 12 . one of the best kept secrets is an i.w. harper 15 year smooth as silk . very few bourbons with this age. also bird dog 10 year , also rhetoric 24 year and the last of the series 25 year.  but really bourbon can't really be generally recommended as with bourbons they have different styles and higher and lower proofs. so for example if one doesn' t like proofs over say 90 to 95 it takes a number of so called great bourbons out of the picture. also price doesn't always make bourbon better usually less production or very high demand. it really depends on ones own taste . when i was in louisville the store i went to wasn't recommending expensive bourbons at all. picked up some old fitzgerald bottled in bond.  great bourbon very reasonable.  so reall it comes down to what type of style one likes then proof and then you can try theones in those categories. but above all always drink what you like whether cheap or expensive. just enjoy and share with friends. i was lucky as i bought some great bourbons back in 2004 before they either disappeared completely or became cult favorites.  
  • 40 bones 
    Solid!
  • foodboy said:
    try willett potstill, great bourbon.  widow jane 12 . one of the best kept secrets is an i.w. harper 15 year smooth as silk . very few bourbons with this age. also bird dog 10 year , also rhetoric 24 year and the last of the series 25 year.  but really bourbon can't really be generally recommended as with bourbons they have different styles and higher and lower proofs. so for example if one doesn' t like proofs over say 90 to 95 it takes a number of so called great bourbons out of the picture. also price doesn't always make bourbon better usually less production or very high demand. it really depends on ones own taste . when i was in louisville the store i went to wasn't recommending expensive bourbons at all. picked up some old fitzgerald bottled in bond.  great bourbon very reasonable.  so reall it comes down to what type of style one likes then proof and then you can try theones in those categories. but above all always drink what you like whether cheap or expensive. just enjoy and share with friends. i was lucky as i bought some great bourbons back in 2004 before they either disappeared completely or became cult favorites.  
    Don't bother w Willlet Potstill...  A bunch of negative reviews.
    i have seen a lot of good reviews on w potstill. its all what you like. there is great demand for this bourbon. follow caskers you will see many bourbons and their characteristics .  see what works for you.  to each their own.
  • foodboy said:
    Agree on the IW Harper 15...silky smooth and fairly sweet (for 15 years); pricey for some (but it is 15 years old)...plus you have a sweet decanter after it is gone; I use mine for my so-called "infinity" bottle.
    all about what you like. and what one likes cannot be refuted. find a good bourbon bar and try a bunch to see what you like.  
  • booboolisciousboobooliscious Hebron, KY Posts: 263
    I scored a bottle of George T. Stagg and stowed it away for a little family vacation between Christmas & New Year's. It doesn't get much better than sipping good bourbon, watching the surf and listening to Present Tense.
    couldn't agree more
  • foodboy said:
    i have seen a lot of good reviews on w potstill. its all what you like. there is great demand for this bourbon. follow caskers you will see many bourbons and their characteristics .  see what works for you.  to each their own.
    I'm on Caskers but they only push what they have to sell.  
  • Bought my boss a bottle of Middleton Very rare for the last 2 years and she is in love with that bottle.  I may have to splurge on it...

Anybody try that one?