Options

Pearl Jam Europe prices

13»

Comments

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    Fans are spending hundreds on hotels, thousands on airfare and somehow PJ is charging too much for the shows.

The show is the reason for the economic activity. Yes fans are multitasking but with no show these ancillary purchases would not exist in the current format.

A PJ concert is similar to a playoff sporting event or championship game. By definition it's a premium event.

Does the airline have an online forum with 100,600 comments on its front porch?
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,934
    edited December 2019
    The crux is, people aren't buying music via traditional means anymore. Pearl Jam will release it's new album in the coming months, and a good  proportion won't buy it, instead choosing to listen via their preferred streaming service. I really don't mind paying £80+ for a show as I know they put their heart and soul into a show. What boils my piss is the price of merch. A €40 t-shirt plus ridiculous postage which costs €2/3 to produce, and I'm not convinced the band has a lot of input in. But, the band and others have to make money somehow. It's going to be expensive tickets, merch and special uber limited edition and deluxe versions of albums.
    Man i do agree on merch. The tshirt that was £30 at ev wembley  was so poor the print wasnt even central. Its such poor quality  and way over priced i wont buy anymore and someone. I guess  this mrtsurt guy should be responsible.  
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    As far as ticket prices . Its the  same old thing.  Buy them if you can. Dont if you cant. I cannot this time so im out and its upsetting but that's  my issue not pj s. 
    As stated  before other bands are higher some lower. If you love your live music  which we all do here. You will have the  experience  of a lifetime i have  many times and i am grateful  for that.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Pearl Jam is entertainment, provided by private individuals (the band).  Entertainment is not a basic human "right" such as food, shelter, or health care, which should be subsidized by a government.  Entertainment is not a civil right like the "right" to vote or "right" to freedom of speech.  When fans talk about their "right" to see a concert, it comes off as entitlement.  I've been a fan of this band since it started, but this band owes me nothing.  If anything, I owe this band, for all that its music has gotten me through, and all the entertainment it has provided to me free of charge on platforms like youtube.  To say that anyone who likes the music should be able to see their concerts, regardless of their ability to pay, is idealistic, but wrong.  Principles of supply and demand apply.  As others have stated, the band is already making concessions on the price of these tickets, leaving money out there that they could be collecting (as other big bands do).   As a thought experiment: Do Pearl Jam fans in developing countries (in for example, Africa or Asia) have the "right" to see the band's concerts?  No one can force the band to tour developing countries, and no one can force the band to price tickets at 1/10 of what they could get in the US or Europe, just so the people there who have the "right" to go a Pearl Jam concert are served.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,147
    One thing in this thread bears repeating.  Someone used the term “boils my piss.”
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    Is that a positive or negative?
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,147
    Gotta be a good thing, I bet that kills any bacteria in it
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    ddeschler said:
    Pearl Jam is entertainment, provided by private individuals (the band).  Entertainment is not a basic human "right" such as food, shelter, or health care, which should be subsidized by a government.  Entertainment is not a civil right like the "right" to vote or "right" to freedom of speech.  When fans talk about their "right" to see a concert, it comes off as entitlement.  I've been a fan of this band since it started, but this band owes me nothing.  If anything, I owe this band, for all that its music has gotten me through, and all the entertainment it has provided to me free of charge on platforms like youtube.  To say that anyone who likes the music should be able to see their concerts, regardless of their ability to pay, is idealistic, but wrong.  Principles of supply and demand apply.  As others have stated, the band is already making concessions on the price of these tickets, leaving money out there that they could be collecting (as other big bands do).   As a thought experiment: Do Pearl Jam fans in developing countries (in for example, Africa or Asia) have the "right" to see the band's concerts?  No one can force the band to tour developing countries, and no one can force the band to price tickets at 1/10 of what they could get in the US or Europe, just so the people there who have the "right" to go a Pearl Jam concert are served.
    I agree on a very basic level and on a higher spirit of the music and energetic economy level not so much...analogous to a nights shelter should be equal to a few hours of spectacular entertainment...whatever your expectation hence your ability to pay ...80 bucks for shelter...80 bucks for the gig assuming you need lodging...if a city cant provide you that doubtful one could afford much more for a ticket...plus plus plus...so thereby eliminating the therapeutic experience of pearl jam en masse...can you get it from a 20 dollar album?? Sure...but for me it is what mecca is to prayer...lucky are those who can get close to the mount...blessed are those who can move the mountain of there soul without ever having  bèen there...
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    edited December 2019
    Ive been following this band since the start but I genuinely think that its a lot of money for even a 3 hour show. I would also say that about other shows as well even if these are less. 

Might be hard for US folks to imagine but I wouldnt even say Pearl Jam are even that big here in the UK or Europe. You could stop 100 people in the street and be lucky to find a single person who has heard of them or  knows any of their songs.
  • Options
    FR181798 said:
    Ive been following this band since the start but I genuinely think that its a lot of money for even a 3 hour show. I would also say that about other shows as well even if these are less. 

Might be hard for US folks to imagine but I wouldnt even say Pearl Jam are even that big here in the UK or Europe. You could stop 100 people in the street and be lucky to find a single person who has heard of them or  knows any of their songs.

“ I wouldnt even say Pearl Jam are even that big here in the UK or Europe”

That does seem to be the case but the band doesn’t seem to care to match shows to fans demand for shows. They play where they want to go.

its certainly a lot of money but comparatively it’s less than what most top bands charge

I am more hung up on their continuing policy to pretend front row seats should cost the same as obstructed view nosebleeds. That’s insulting .
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,954
    FR181798 said:

“ I wouldnt even say Pearl Jam are even that big here in the UK or Europe”

That does seem to be the case but the band doesn’t seem to care to match shows to fans demand for shows. They play where they want to go.

its certainly a lot of money but comparatively it’s less than what most top bands charge

I am more hung up on their continuing policy to pretend front row seats should cost the same as obstructed view nosebleeds. That’s insulting .
    They may not be widely known in the general public but they have a strong and loyal following in Europe. 

They can sell out arenas in minutes across Holland, UK etc, sell out big stadiums like San Siro in Italy, and they're in demand as headliners for our biggest festivals. So there is certainly demand from people in Europe to see them. It's obviously not as simple as 'they'll play where they want', it also has to financially stack up. 

I also generally agree PJ on their policy on ticket pricing, the front rows of any show shouldn't be just for the wealthiest few. Their prices are generally lower than equivalent acts, although they could adjust their pricing when playing places like Hungary for example.  
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,064
    ddeschler said:
    I agree on a very basic level and on a higher spirit of the music and energetic economy level not so much...analogous to a nights shelter should be equal to a few hours of spectacular entertainment...whatever your expectation hence your ability to pay ...80 bucks for shelter...80 bucks for the gig assuming you need lodging...if a city cant provide you that doubtful one could afford much more for a ticket...plus plus plus...so thereby eliminating the therapeutic experience of pearl jam en masse...can you get it from a 20 dollar album?? Sure...but for me it is what mecca is to prayer...lucky are those who can get close to the mount...blessed are those who can move the mountain of there soul without ever having  bèen there...
    There are plenty of bands one can see for a fraction of what you're quoting. That sort of uplift is widely available at a reasonable price. If someone is insistent on seeing certain bands like Pearl Jam, the Stones, or U2, those are luxury items.
  • Options
    JABKJABK Finland Posts: 299
    I think, considering ticket prices today, that 130€ for a golden circle ticket to see one of your favourite bands play for nearly 3 hours is good value. Bands don't sell millions of records anymore, so concerts and merch are their main income. For example, take a look at the tremendous amount of shit on merch tables today...merch business is huge today and a good income for bands.
  • Options

pjl44 said:
    ddeschler said:
    There are plenty of bands one can see for a fraction of what you're quoting. That sort of uplift is widely available at a reasonable price. If someone is insistent on seeing certain bands like Pearl Jam, the Stones, or U2, those are luxury items.

Don’t the Stones and U2 charge considerably more than Pearl Jam?
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,064

pjl44 said:
    ddeschler said:

Don’t the Stones and U2 charge considerably more than Pearl Jam?
    They're all expensive is the point
  • Options
    RideRickRideRick Hoorn Posts: 703
    JABK said:
    I think, considering ticket prices today, that 130€ for a golden circle ticket to see one of your favourite bands play for nearly 3 hours is good value. Bands don't sell millions of records anymore, so concerts and merch are their main income. For example, take a look at the tremendous amount of shit on merch tables today...merch business is huge today and a good income for bands.
    Well, there is no golden circle with Pearl Jam in Ziggodome and with a pre-show it will only be like 2 hours. 
    And it’s not that they are poor. 
    | Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC