Options

Things I spent $40 on or: how I learned to stop worrying and love the Ten Club

F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
So much discussion about the missing holiday singles -- we need to have more fun with this.
This is not a thread to say we should not expect the singles, or that people cannot be upset about the singles not being sent out.
This is a thread for some humor around the situation -- what things (today, in the past, etc) have you spent a fleeting $40 on?

I can see myself watching receipts from now on and sharing items frequently that are amusing, or perhaps just pedestrian. 

To start:
I spent about $40 on tolls/parking/train yesterday to drive up to Newark and then train into Manhattan and back.

The love he receives is the love that is saved

Comments

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,426
    I dropped $40 on a burger and a couple three beers the other day with some buddies.  

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    Yesterday I bought a bottle of ketel one for $40.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,742
    I bought 3 4-packs of craft beer last week for $40.
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    I spent about $40 on a Star Wars cap at Disney land the guy at the counter said my 9 yr old looked just like the boy playing the young Darth Vader.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    4 visits to Gummy Betty
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Poncier said:
    4 visits to Gummy Betty
    :lol:

Cake-taker here!
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542
    Had a couple of pizzas and beers with my gf
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,157
    I spent $40 on gas yesterday.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    I just spent $50 on a Garth Brooks box set. I don't like country, but it's my Christmas present for my wife. It had vinyl and CD of all studio albums plus 1 live. I think it was a total of 7 of each.
    She's going to think I dropped $100 on this.
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    I didn't even spend the money, I just lost it. Fell out of my pocket
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,761
    spent 34 dollars for overnight garage parking to the hotel I was staying AT last week.

also spent 40 plus for brunch at the swankiest of the 4 same brand hotels on the property. JW Marriot, Springhill Suites by Marriot, Courtyard by Marriot and Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriot.........
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Spent $50 to get VIP parking for the Black Crowes concert next summer
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Spent $40 on lunch...
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    Yesterday I spent $40 on two paint brushes, painting tape, spackle and a nice little painting bucket with a funny name that had a convenient handle.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
    mcgruff10 said:
    Every week!  :)
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,979
    edited November 2019
    Paying me and my friends entry to a rockclub with a boring 80s screamy rock band playing, plus two drinks cost me 40 dollars. I think...

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    To start:
    I spent about $40 on tolls/parking/train yesterday to drive up to Newark and then train into Manhattan and back.

But that $40 allowed you to pass those tolls, park your car, and use the train. What'd ya get for your $40 Tenclub membership this year besides the ability to post on this godforsaken message board?

That said, as far as your premise, I'm actually with you. It's only $40. Take it or leave it. I think it's a pointless waste of money, but I'm willing to pointlessly waste that money on it every year. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    You shouldn't call Kiss "boring" and "screamy".
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,538
    A dozen golf balls.
  • Options
    To start:

But that $40 allowed you to pass those tolls, park your car, and use the train. What'd ya get for your $40 Tenclub membership this year besides the ability to post on this godforsaken message board?

That said, as far as your premise, I'm actually with you. It's only $40. Take it or leave it. I think it's a pointless waste of money, but I'm willing to pointlessly waste that money on it every year. 
    I hear you...the difference between the $20 and $40 packages are probably a better piece to slice up but I am happy to pay $40.  I like this message board.  :)

Just paid $88 for my quarterly trash bill to the city.  Could have just as well put my trash in my neighbor's bins.  Once per year (Christmas) might there be a time when I fill up the giant bin they give us.  Still -- less than $30 per month for trash?  I'm OK with that.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I m so glad I m not the only one.  ;)
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    The guy I went to Manhattan with yesterday gifted me one of those $40 bottles.
    (Was a thank you for the hockey seats I gave him a few times last year when we could not go)

He told me I need to try Tower vodka.  Total Wine had a special - $20 for a handle and he likes it more than Tito's.
    I view that as sort of the difference to go Analog.  I'm analog, dammit -- give me my $40 Ketel!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    The guy I went to Manhattan with yesterday gifted me one of those $40 bottles.
    (Was a thank you for the hockey seats I gave him a few times last year when we could not go)

He told me I need to try Tower vodka.  Total Wine had a special - $20 for a handle and he likes it more than Tito's.
    I view that as sort of the difference to go Analog.  I'm analog, dammit -- give me my $40 Ketel!
    I ll look out for tower vodka.  I go between Tito s and ketel. If you want I ll send you my address for any hockey tickets you can not use.  ;)
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    on2legs said:
    I dropped $40 on a burger and a couple three beers the other day with some buddies.  

I bought a few two beers the other day myself. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    on2legs said:

I like that place!!! Very cool spot.  You hit up the distillery or brewery?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    maybe the 3 of us need to mosey on over to the 12 step thread. :wink:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    maybe the 3 of us need to mosey on over to the 12 step thread. :wink:
    When I am ready for that I will collapse directly into it.  :lol:  
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Spent $40 on two salads and two hot dogs (basically cafeteria food) at the Field Museum this weekend. Ughhh 
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,426
    edited November 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    on2legs said:

I like that place!!! Very cool spot.  You hit up the distillery or brewery?
    Yes to both!  I was at the brewery not long ago and found out I just missed Brian Fallon :bawling:   So many great spots in and around Cookman Ave.... Especially love that downtown  area during the holidays. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    $40 for a hash-filled, kief-dipped, glass-tipped J.

Worthwhile, I say!