“Trade in your hours for a handful of dimes.”
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Oh yeah...
    So this life is sacrifice
    Oh yeah...
    Jumping trains just to survive

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I've hated every job I've had.
    I've been bullied at every job I've had.
    I don't want to return to work (been unemployed since 2015).

whoa really sad to hear this! I hope things turn for the better soon.
    Thanks dude.
    I guess I just gotta find the right environment.
    The shit I put up with noone should have to endure in a workplace. Management never did much to help which sucked.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    It is work, so I guess it is not what I dream of doing.  
    That being said, I really dig it.
    Been at the same place for almost 15 years, love my boss, the CEO.  Tough to ask for a better mentor/friend/boss.
    VP (was at 40, I think?  Fuck you Cliffy, you beat me to it!) and enjoy most of the people I work with.
    My favorite part is our clients, getting to meet them and learn about them, their businesses, their lives, and how we can add value for them.
    I moved from SoCal to South Jersey and now work from home....but am always on planes going to consult and assist with clients/prospects.

Stories?
    Got lots of them.
    I used to run Ops (now I am the sales leader) and the parties we used to have with the team to celebrate or commiserate....wow, that shit was off the hook.  
    Almost died a handful of times - but that only made for better stories.
    If you have a beer with me one day, I will share openly.  ;)

Hi!!

Beers are on me if you’re in the city 
    Will take you up on that, one day!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,773

Thanks dude.
    The shit I put up with noone should have to endure in a workplace. Management never did much to help which sucked.
    Good for you for moving on.   Better to find the right fit than put up with crap!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    brianlux said:

Thanks dude.
    Good for you for moving on.   Better to find the right fit than put up with crap!
    I was fired for "not fitting in with the team". How can I fit in when from the moment I walked in to the office I was harassed and picked on all the time? Made fun of for not being a drinker, for not having a girlfriend/wife, for apparently being gay, for being stupid, for not knowing how to use a stapler (they supplied me with a faulty stapler), made me go out and look for a lost set of keys that they hid from me just to make me drive all the way out to a property and look for it etc.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Thanks dude.
    I was fired for "not fitting in with the team". How can I fit in when from the moment I walked in to the office I was harassed and picked on all the time? Made fun of for not being a drinker, for not having a girlfriend/wife, for apparently being gay, for being stupid, for not knowing how to use a stapler (they supplied me with a faulty stapler), made me go out and look for a lost set of keys that they hid from me just to make me drive all the way out to a property and look for it etc.
    When the team is comprised of stupid and fucked people, better to go rogue.  I've been there myself.  Keep being you- that's the only way to be!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    I'm a software developer. If it was just coding and developing all the time, I would love it. I enjoy creating something that helps solve a problem or makes someone else's job a little easier. I could do without the meetings, ever-changing specs, a few coworkers, and dealing with the users. Oh, having to create technical documents like a user manual sucks big time.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Thanks dude.
    When the team is comprised of stupid and fucked people, better to go rogue.  I've been there myself.  Keep being you- that's the only way to be!
    My refusal to fit in with stupid group norms and stay true to myself makes me not liked a lot of the time.
    Thanks Brian.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,679
    So who’s back at the office? Never left? Dreading the return? Are “offices” stupid? Wearing a mask? Demanding vaccinations? Where you sitting?

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    I've been asked to return to the office 1 day per week
     I went in last monday and I felt sick during the 10 minute drive to work. I booked a room to isolate from others. When I got home I developed a cold. Needless to say I wont be going in this week. Although it's easier to wake up earlier this time of year, I'm not that excited about going in. I'm way more productive at home and love having my dog with me all day. I dont have to get ready and prepare lunch, etc. Although I dont mind going into the office occasionally, I'd much rather work from home!
  • Options
    So who’s back at the office? Never left? Dreading the return? Are “offices” stupid? Wearing a mask? Demanding vaccinations? Where you sitting?

I'm still have my very small on-line business but no more working at the bookstore except to stock used records after hours.  March 15, 2020 killed it (actually, I chose to leave due to my iffy immune system). 
    As for offices, I worked in a corporate office for six months once and totally hated it.  If I were now, I'd much rather work from home.  But some people like the social aspect of office work so it the are vaccinate, I say go for it.
    I've been asked to return to the office 1 day per week
     I went in last monday and I felt sick during the 10 minute drive to work. I booked a room to isolate from others. When I got home I developed a cold. Needless to say I wont be going in this week. Although it's easier to wake up earlier this time of year, I'm not that excited about going in. I'm way more productive at home and love having my dog with me all day. I dont have to get ready and prepare lunch, etc. Although I dont mind going into the office occasionally, I'd much rather work from home!
    Get well soon, Dreamgirl.  Lot's of fluids, 1,000 mg vitamin C and 5,000 IU's of D3 daily, puppy snuggling, and a good book should get you there.

• Options
    God bless you @brianlux
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667

• Options
    God bless you @brianlux

:hug:

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,102
    Never left the office.  Worked here the whole time.  Business as usual.  Only 5 of us or so here.  No one is vaccinated.  None of us caught covid.  We are spread out and everyone still washes their hands and uses sanitizer.
  • Options
    Never left the office.  Worked here the whole time.  Business as usual.  Only 5 of us or so here.  No one is vaccinated.  None of us caught covid.  We are spread out and everyone still washes their hands and uses sanitizer.
    Unlike these guys!
    Chicago iron workers recreate Lunch atop a Skyscraper photograph - Curbed  Chicago

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,528
    Working in the maintenance department at a Correction Facility, we were considered essential. Other than taking a few days off a couple of times, I have been here the whole time. We were able to get vaccinated January due to our risk of exposure. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Unlike these guys!
    Chicago iron workers recreate Lunch atop a Skyscraper photograph - Curbed  Chicago

HA!  That's a good staged pic.  Trying to recreate the Chrysler building pic I would imagine?
    10 The Construction of the Chrysler Building- 1920s ideas  chrysler  building building chrysler
  • Options
    Working in the maintenance department at a Correction Facility, we were considered essential. Other than taking a few days off a couple of times, I have been here the whole time. We were able to get vaccinated January due to our risk of exposure. 
    What prison do you work at?  I built about 30 of them across the US.  Maybe I built the one you work in?
  • Options
    What prison do you work at?  I built about 30 of them across the US.  Maybe I built the one you work in?
    Wabash Valley Correctional Facility in Carlisle Indiana. 
  • Options
    I built one in New Castle.  A little bit a ways from you.
  • Options
    I built one in New Castle.  A little bit a ways from you.
    I have been to New Castle once to help with repairs of a system.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Unlike these guys!

HA!  That's a good staged pic.  Trying to recreate the Chrysler building pic I would imagine?
    10 The Construction of the Chrysler Building- 1920s ideas  chrysler  building building chrysler

Staged?  No way!  This was taken right before they all got up and started doing one of those chorus line numbers!  :lol:    
    But seriously,  I would be totally freaked out by this kind of work:

Empire State Building daredevil photos will give you vertigoNo way!!!

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Unlike these guys!

Staged?  No way!  This was taken right before they all got up and started doing one of those chorus line numbers!  :lol:    

I get freaked out with heights, so there is no way I could do that.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Unlike these guys!

That famous "Lunch atop a Skyscraper" wasn't the Chrystler Building, it was @30 Rock, which was called the RCA Building.

Also, it was staged. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Unlike these guys!

That famous "Lunch atop a Skyscraper" wasn't the Chrystler Building, it was @30 Rock, which was called the RCA Building.

Also, it was staged. 
    That's what it's called.  I should remember that...  My other favorite is Lunch atop the Waldorf.
    A Look Back During The Early Era Of Skyscraper Construction
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Unlike these guys!

See the guy in the middle holding that cylinder?  That was to catch the red hot rivets that the two gentlemen are putting in.

We sometimes come into older riveted construction and they want them replaced in kind.  We use a TC bolt now to mimic it for looks and strength.  The other cool thing we sometimes run across is cast iron beams or columns.  We can't weld to these because of the carbon makeup so we have to bolt a modern piece of steel to the structure and weld/build off of that.

The things I get to see in new and older construction in NYC is really cool sometimes.  I got to walk on top of Grand Central Station and got to walk on Manhattan Bedrock below the earth among other things.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Unlike these guys!

See the guy in the middle holding that cylinder?  That was to catch the red hot rivets that the two gentlemen are putting in.

We sometimes come into older riveted construction and they want them replaced in kind.  We use a TC bolt now to mimic it for looks and strength.  The other cool thing we sometimes run across is cast iron beams or columns.  We can't weld to these because of the carbon makeup so we have to bolt a modern piece of steel to the structure and weld/build off of that.

The things I get to see in new and older construction in NYC is really cool sometimes.  I got to walk on top of Grand Central Station and got to walk on Manhattan Bedrock below the earth among other things.
    Wow. The Brooklyn Bridge isn’t even lucky enough to have reached Manhattan bedrock. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM