Options

WORK

Love it? Hate it? Live to work or work to live? Have a work husband or wife? A cool boss or a shitty boss? Great perks or downtrodden? Annoying coworkers or great colleagues? Etiquette issues in the break room or kitchen? Work from home or commute? How? How long? Post your work stories here.
09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©

Comments

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    - Love, for the most part. 
    - I need to pay bills, so I work so we may live, but I definitely do not make enough to retire on. 
    - I have some great coworkers and some I would be okay if they would go. No one I would label as a work husband or wife. 
    - Great bosses! Love both of them dearly and they know it. Unfortunately, during a work trip, I had to be the one to break the news to my one boss that she had cancer. I tell you, those of us on this past spring buying trip share an unbreakable bond. We cried, me more than the others, hugged, shared dinners and weird beers. I wouldn't trade either one of them for any other boss. 
    - Perks, yes. A mom and pop, so definite behind-the-scenes DIYness going on, too.
    - Etiquette issues? 

Yes, I have run into etiquette issues. :angry:
    I hung this note up on the time clock. It hasn't been an issue since. 
    - 10 minute commute. No work from home. I'm a buyer/display staff/gallery rep. Kinda gotta be there. 
    - Time with the company: 18 years. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    A little bit of pushing and shoving today between a couple coworkers, and someone’s time card went missing.
    I think the exact quote was, “I’m not touching you” as he continued to push the bill of the other persons hat.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
    edited November 2019
    Used to hate it, now I love it.

This song helped me learn to love work.  I took John Handy's Appreciation of Jazz class at S.F. State.  What a great experience, what a cool, nice, wise man!:

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Hi! said:

LOL.  I love that punching the clock scene!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Hi! said:

LOL.  I love that punching the clock scene!
    Yeah, that always stuck with me. 

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Don’t love it, don’t hate it but like it a lot more than I dislike it. Doing very well. VP before 40. Adjunct teaching opportunities. Like the people I work with. Great perks. Great office overlooking philly. 

Work in the most hated industry in America, pharma. Was ranked worse than the federal government this year hahah. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    My dad used to tell me that if you do what you love, then it's not work.

(you get the gist)

I actually MISS working but those days are on hold for the time being.

Over the years, I've worked with:
    • Weird guy with fetish for women with huge biceps
    • Chick who did crack at work, as I discovered after finding her asleep under her boss' desk.
    • Skeezy chick who wore minis and no underwear, and made sure everyone knew about it.
    • The attorney who was fired for doing coke (and coke deals) in the middle of the night from his office.  When we "swept" his office, I gathered a good gram of the shit in the crevices of his chair.
    • The shouters about all things political.
    • Way too many fucking people who don't have a grasp of the language.  It's grammar, not rocket science!
    • Apply the above to basic math, too.
    • The food hogs.  I don't want your goddamn salsa anyway.

Did I say I miss working?

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,616
    Do you still have that gram?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    My dad used to tell me that if you do what you love, then it's not work.

(you get the gist)

I actually MISS working but those days are on hold for the time being.

Over the years, I've worked with:
    • Weird guy with fetish for women with huge biceps
    • Chick who did crack at work, as I discovered after finding her asleep under her boss' desk.
    • Skeezy chick who wore minis and no underwear, and made sure everyone knew about it.
    • The attorney who was fired for doing coke (and coke deals) in the middle of the night from his office.  When we "swept" his office, I gathered a good gram of the shit in the crevices of his chair.
    • The shouters about all things political.
    • Way too many fucking people who don't have a grasp of the language.  It's grammar, not rocket science!
    • Apply the above to basic math, too.
    • The food hogs.  I don't want your goddamn salsa anyway.

Did I say I miss working?

I like that word "Skeezy".  Sleeze with a little "ick" thrown in!

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,616
    It is work, so I guess it is not what I dream of doing.  
    That being said, I really dig it.
    Been at the same place for almost 15 years, love my boss, the CEO.  Tough to ask for a better mentor/friend/boss.
    VP (was at 40, I think?  Fuck you Cliffy, you beat me to it!) and enjoy most of the people I work with.
    My favorite part is our clients, getting to meet them and learn about them, their businesses, their lives, and how we can add value for them.
    I moved from SoCal to South Jersey and now work from home....but am always on planes going to consult and assist with clients/prospects.

Stories?
    Got lots of them.
    I used to run Ops (now I am the sales leader) and the parties we used to have with the team to celebrate or commiserate....wow, that shit was off the hook.  
    Almost died a handful of times - but that only made for better stories.
    If you have a beer with me one day, I will share openly.  ;)

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Been at the same place for almost 15 years, love my boss, the CEO.  Tough to ask for a better mentor/friend/boss.
    VP (was at 40, I think?  Fuck you Cliffy, you beat me to it!) and enjoy most of the people I work with.
    My favorite part is our clients, getting to meet them and learn about them, their businesses, their lives, and how we can add value for them.
    I moved from SoCal to South Jersey and now work from home....but am always on planes going to consult and assist with clients/prospects.

Stories?
    Got lots of them.
    I used to run Ops (now I am the sales leader) and the parties we used to have with the team to celebrate or commiserate....wow, that shit was off the hook.  

You will? I don’t think you’ve shared those with me. Maybe because I was drinking cocktails, not beer :lol: 

Next time. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I love my work. I would work even if financially I didn’t need to, though probably not as much. Interesting, stressful, mostly satisfying. No real “boss” per se. I work with teams of people so that’s a mixed bag, some great, some dismal, most reasonably competent. 

No perks, though; absolutely no perks. 
  • Options

Stories?
    Got lots of them.

You will? I don’t think you’ve shared those with me. Maybe because I was drinking cocktails, not beer :lol: 

Next time. 
    Oh, for sure.  
    Ask me about:
    Sushi Motorcycle
    Or
    "That last shot of tequila"

Those are the first two that come to mind.

• Options
    That was my post-coke days ;)

I also had someone report me to HR for being the devil.  I was perplexed, and in hindsight, wish I'd fucked with her head some.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

I also had someone report me to HR for being the devil.  I was perplexed, and in hindsight, wish I'd fucked with her head some.
    I always knew there was some other reason I loved you....just never knew that was it!
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    I worked for corporate A-holes for years and made lots of money. I worked for a non-profit for years, had the coolest bosses in the world with lots of great benefits. But working with addicts who hate you for managing their money and God forbid paying their bills instead of funding their crack habbit wears on you over the years. I've recently been on hiatus, traveled and am now enrolled in massage therapy school. Take 3. I just don't know.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

I always knew there was some other reason I loved you....just never knew that was it!
    Sick minds think alike :kiss:
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,448
    work? :confounded:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    What you used to do before goats, Wob. 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,448
    Wobbie said:

I used to be “America’s Finest,” missy.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

Who set the standards? 
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

Who set the standards? 
    :lol:

He is still among the finest!
  • Options
    I miss work.
    I was a self employed bricklayer. 
    Did some cool jobs at rich houses  in London 
    Some famous  people's houses.
    I liked the creative stuff more,worked with  some funny guys but mainly  treated like dirt by the construction type.
    I've  been ill a while now. I try  to help friends  with bits but not even  that anymore. 
    I didn't  know i liked it whilst i was doing it.
    Proud i got a trade skill still  though.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    The work I've liked the least- and some that I actually hated- made me the most money (including a few jobs in Silicon Valley), and the ones that paid the least- including teaching, volunteering at a health library, and doing the work I do now- have given me the greatest pleasure and feelings of accomplishment.  

I've been happiest by, as much as possible, doing work that gives me the most satisfaction, doing it to the best of my ability, and even when it hasn't paid well, I've learned to live well with less, give back, and budget and manage money fairly well.  For me, less always proves to be more.   Years ago, other than my ailing physical and mental health at the time, even living in my vehicle had it's plus sides.

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I've hated every job I've had.
    I've been bullied at every job I've had.
    I don't want to return to work (been unemployed since 2015).

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,281
    I've hated every job I've had.
    I've been bullied at every job I've had.
    I don't want to return to work (been unemployed since 2015).

whoa really sad to hear this! I hope things turn for the better soon.
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598

Stories?
    Got lots of them.

Hi!!

Beers are on me if you’re in the city 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Been at the same manufacturing job for 16 yrs. 

Perks:
    VP is awesome and we get along great. I’ve actually been there longer than him. When he first started, he seen I had the Pearl Jam Benaroya Hall poster from the cd hanging in my work area and he struck up a conversation with me about music and his love for Springsteen. I didn’t really listen to Bruce that much then, but I knew about Bruce and Eddie being friends Ect. He brought me in all Bruce’s CDs the next day to copy. 
    I get unlimited OT. Got a key to the shop and I can go in and put in hours anytime I want. Usually do about 55+ a week. I actually have a two day weekend this week, feels like a vacation.
    Can get my mind right anytime I want.
    I used to be in charge of music, but let that go. Caused to many problems and when we got a new batch of deplorables working there, the only thing they wanted to listen to was screamer shit, Tech 9, and some rap country bullshit. I almost got in a fight with someone one day because he freaked out and said, “ I’m fucking sick of this Neil Young shit.” Lol.  So now I listen to podcasts and music all day long on my earphones and it’s fucking great. 
    Some decent benefits.
    Job is within 3 miles of my house, so I can ride bike some days to work.

Downfalls:
    Air quality 
    Probably die before I’m 50.

Post edited by Hi! on