Options

2023/2024 NBA Season October 18th Opening Tip off! Pg 48

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    edited April 2023
    There is literally only one other player in the NBA who posts up more times per game than Embiid. Embiid also lead the league in posts ups each of the last 3 or 4 seasons. Saying he is not a center is simply absurd. 

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    edited April 2023
    There is literally only one other player in the NBA who posts up more times per game than Embiid. Embiid also lead the league in posts ups each of the last 3 or 4 seasons. Saying he is not a center is simply absurd. 

That's great.  A center doesn't take point and shoot 3's traditionally.  The center position is a stretch 5 now.

I know you watched 90's basketball.  None of the centers then can or did what they are doing now.

Giannis, Jokic, embiid hell even Brooke Lopez all do more than what centers did back in the day.

Edit: I'll add that anyone that leads the league in rebounds should be a center than too?  That's what centers do right?  Rebound and stuff?
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    edited April 2023

That's great.  A center doesn't take point and shoot 3's traditionally.  The center position is a stretch 5 now.

I know you watched 90's basketball.  None of the centers then can or did what they are doing now.

Giannis, Jokic, embiid hell even Brooke Lopez all do more than what centers did back in the day.

Edit: I'll add that anyone that leads the league in rebounds should be a center than too?  That's what centers do right?  Rebound and stuff?
    Why do they call it a stretch 5 instead of a stretch 3? Because they are centers.

Come on man. Of course we watched basketball in the 90's. MJ averaged less than three 3 point attempts per game back then. It's a completely different game now. But that does not mean a 7 foot 280 pound dude who posts up more than anyone else is anything other than a center (5). 

Agreed --obviously those guys do more than what centers did back then. You know what though? They're still centers. 

Rebounds? Was Dennis Rodman a center? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,463
    edited April 2023
    Wobbie said:
    maybe the next round will be better. so far, the NBA playoffs have been a snooze.
    Youre nuts.  Even I am enjoying the Knicks games.
    NBA playoffs have been spectacular thus far, even with taking into account the injuries. 

you’re only saying that because your sixers swept the mighty spencer dinwiddie led nets. :joy:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,503
    16 point difference at the end of the third period..Μr. Budenholzer, give up yesterday..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Jimmy Butler is a bad man.
    That shot to send game to OT was something else.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options

Why do they call it a stretch 5 instead of a stretch 3? Because they are centers.

Come on man. Of course we watched basketball in the 90's. MJ averaged less than three 3 point attempts per game back then. It's a completely different game now. But that does not mean a 7 foot 280 pound dude who posts up more than anyone else is anything other than a center (5). 

Agreed --obviously those guys do more than what centers did back then. You know what though? They're still centers. 

They are called centers, sure.  But they don't function like them is what I'm getting at.  It's like a defensemen leading in scoring.  Sure he's a defensemen but they are a scoring machine too/

The use of the word center is outdated now as basketball is so fluid with the positions.  It's not set like baseball.

Would a team even draft a true center anymore?  Late rounds maybe just for a body in the paint?  Serious question.
  • Options
    Heat and Knicks advance.  GS and Grizz still hanging on.
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,503
    If the Warriors can get their act together on the road, they can make things pretty interesting in the West. 
  • Options
    If the Warriors can get their act together on the road, they can make things pretty interesting in the West. 
    They have their core and once they heat up yes.  No reason they can't repeat.
  • Options

They are called centers, sure.  But they don't function like them is what I'm getting at.  It's like a defensemen leading in scoring.  Sure he's a defensemen but they are a scoring machine too/

The use of the word center is outdated now as basketball is so fluid with the positions.  It's not set like baseball.

Would a team even draft a true center anymore?  Late rounds maybe just for a body in the paint?  Serious question.
    They're center's dude. Not like center's were 30 years ago. Just like 2 guards don't play the same 30 years ago. Different game. Jo Embiid is a center. He's not a point guard. He's not a shooting guard. He's not a wing. Time to end nonsense. lol 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    NBA needs to reseed. Gonna end up having the teams with the two best records going at it in the second round...most likely. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225

They're center's dude. Not like center's were 30 years ago. Just like 2 guards don't play the same 30 years ago. Different game. Jo Embiid is a center. He's not a point guard. He's not a shooting guard. He's not a wing. Time to end nonsense. lol 
    It's really a silly argument. Embiid is a center. Has the game evolved since they wore the old short shorts? Obviously. But the 7-foot 280lb guy who posts up more than anyone in the league besides Batman's arch nemesis is most definitely a center.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:

It's really a silly argument. Embiid is a center. Has the game evolved since they wore the old short shorts? Obviously. But the 7-foot 280lb guy who posts up more than anyone in the league besides Batman's arch nemesis is most definitely a center.
    He should've saved the argument for next year as, ironically, the number 1 pick in the draft will be a center. But this guy is actually more of a hybrid than Jo is. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Meh, they're called centers but they aren't...

Basketball and hockey to an extent is the only sport that could make that argument that the positions are fluid.

It's not groundbreaking thought, just need to think outside the box a bit.  It won't work in baseball or soccer even football.  They have a defined position described for each.

I would add that the NBA hasn't listed positions for the allstar game either so I'm not the only yahoo thinking this, lol.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    NBA needs to reseed. Gonna end up having the teams with the two best records going at it in the second round...most likely. 
    Why did they do this anyways?
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,430
    Poncier said:
    Americans have an obsession with "brackets" which I imagine ties into March Madness.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options

Basketball and hockey to an extent is the only sport that could make that argument that the positions are fluid.

It's not groundbreaking thought, just need to think outside the box a bit.  It won't work in baseball or soccer even football.  They have a defined position described for each.

I would add that the NBA hasn't listed positions for the allstar game either so I'm not the only yahoo thinking this, lol.
    You have lost your mind if you think Joel Embiid is not a center. I don't know what else to tell you. This is stupid.

So many positions in the NBA are fluid, you are correct. That does not mean ALL players fit that bill. A 7 footer who weighs 280 pounds who posts up more than anyone else is a center. 

Embiid is arguable the best or one of these 3 or 4 best players in the league, yet has never made an ALL NBA First team because...there's room for only one center. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

You have lost your mind if you think Joel Embiid is not a center. I don't know what else to tell you. This is stupid.

So many positions in the NBA are fluid, you are correct. That does not mean ALL players fit that bill. A 7 footer who weighs 280 pounds who posts up more than anyone else is a center. 

Embiid is arguable the best or one of these 3 or 4 best players in the league, yet has never made an ALL NBA First team because...there's room for only one center. 
    Didn't the NBA have first teams without centers though?  I know they've done that.

Silver has also said he wanted to drop positions from the All NBA teams.

They post up, great.  The position has evolved though.  I don't get the pushback by calling them PF.  Tim Duncan was called a PF yet he was a damn center.

I'll drop it after this...
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Americans have an obsession with "brackets" which I imagine ties into March Madness.
    It 's always been 8 vs 1 and 7 vs 2 though.  I thought something different was done.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Didn't the NBA have first teams without centers though?  I know they've done that.

Silver has also said he wanted to drop positions from the All NBA teams.

They post up, great.  The position has evolved though.  I don't get the pushback by calling them PF.  Tim Duncan was called a PF yet he was a damn center.

I'll drop it after this...
    There's been talk of doing that simply because there are two amazing centers and it's kind of unfair that one is left off, not because the center position doesn't exist anymore. Don't think it's Silver so much as it's fans and media talking though. 

Tim Duncan played power forward because the Spurs already had David Robinson at center. After Robinson retired is when Duncan was more referred to as a center. 

Nobody is saying the position has not evolved. It clearly has. But the Sixers clearly have a point guard (Harden), a shooting guard (Maxey), a power forward (Harris) a small forward (Tucker) and a center (Jo).

When Embiid isn't posting up more than anyone in the league he's usually at the nail or the elbow because he looks facing the basket with the ball more than in year's past. His mid range game this year is vastly improved. He's not spread out in the corner or on the wing like our two forwards are. And he's clearly not a 1 or a 2 so....he's a c e n t e r. lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    So who do I root for in the Lakers/Warriors series? I guess the Lakers only cause I’m sick of the Warriors winning 😕
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    So who do I root for in the Lakers/Warriors series? I guess the Lakers only cause I’m sick of the Warriors winning 😕
    Yes, go Lakers!!!
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,430
    Always. Always. Root against the Lakers. 
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Always. Always. Root against the Lakers. 
    Hush you...
  • Options
    I'd love to see the Nuggets trounce the Suns.  That would make me a happy camper.

76ers beating the Celtics is another I'd be happy seeing.

Lakers over GS is going to be really good.  I think the lakers can do it.

I was hoping the depth of the bench for the Knicks would/will be too much for the Heat but Playoffs Butler is unchained.
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    I'd love to see the Nuggets trounce the Suns.  That would make me a happy camper.

Looks like it's headed that way
  • Options
    Jumb0 said:

Looks like it's headed that way
    I would love to say that too but KD will make some adjustments and make me worry a bit.
  • Options
    Lakers win, Knicks win.

Embiid FINALLY gets an MVP.  Good for him.