Options

2023/2024 NBA Season October 18th Opening Tip off! Pg 48

Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,227
    Wobbie said:
    I kinda hate this NBA Superteam mentality. MLB is becoming the same. Can’t do it in the NFL.
    What superteams won anything besides Miami, and that's if they are a superteam?  Piling up great players doesn't always mean success which is why I give Miami Credit for pulling it off.
    The Celtics, the Warriors, the Cavs, the Lakers a couple years ago...
    Right, there have definitely been other super teams. Just usually built by the GM, as in Danny Ainge trading for Garnett and Allen whereas Miami started the whole players determining who they team up with phenomenon.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,288
    edited February 2023
    Wobbie said:
    I kinda hate this NBA Superteam mentality. MLB is becoming the same. Can’t do it in the NFL.
    What superteams won anything besides Miami, and that's if they are a superteam?  Piling up great players doesn't always mean success which is why I give Miami Credit for pulling it off.
    The Celtics, the Warriors, the Cavs, the Lakers a couple years ago...
    Celtics?  What'd they win?  Warriors were all draft picks and winning even before KD and won when he left.  Lakers?  The Bubble team w Lebron?
    The NBA Championship.
    Warriors won 2 after KD went there.
    Yeah, the bubble team when Lebron and AD went there. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I guess you could even make the argument that the Sixers of the early 80's were the original super team. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I guess you could even make the argument that the Sixers of the early 80's were the original super team. 
    If we are going that far back then ok.I thought we were talking the past few years.  A bunch of times it was tried and didn't work out.  The Nets Twice now in the last 10 years, The Lakers w Nash, Malone and Peyton, Rockets w Olajuwon, Barkley and Drex, Clippers w PG and Kawhi.

Am I missing any?
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    If we are going that far back then ok.I thought we were talking the past few years.  A bunch of times it was tried and didn't work out.  The Nets Twice now in the last 10 years, The Lakers w Nash, Malone and Peyton, Rockets w Olajuwon, Barkley and Drex, Clippers w PG and Kawhi.

Am I missing any?
    Every other team I mentioned went back just a year or two before you did with the Celtics. 

Plus these other teams you are mentioning were all really good and either lost in the finals or conference finals mostly...just came across better teams eventually. A lot them featured stars who were on their last legs though. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Am I missing any?
    Every other team I mentioned went back just a year or two before you did with the Celtics. 
    Yes that's why I didn't include them as they were mentioned already.

The Cavs though?  They traded a first round pick in Wiggins for an outside shooter in Love.  A good piece but not a superteam piece IMO.
    I also thought you meant newer Celtics, not 08 Celtics.

Also The Warriors were not as stated previously and which Lakers team won that was a superteam?  Not the Bubble one?
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Am I missing any?

The Cavs though?  They traded a first round pick in Wiggins for an outside shooter in Love.  A good piece but not a superteam piece IMO.

Also The Warriors were not as stated previously and which Lakers team won that was a superteam?  Not the Bubble one?

The Cavs got Lebron, Kyrie and Kevin Love. How's that not a super team?
    Nah, that originally Danny Ainge Celtic team was sort of the first super team in this era.
    How were the Warriors not? They added one of the maybe 10 greatest players ever to Curry and Thompson. That's an obvious one.
    The Lakers added Anthony Davis to a team featuring Lebron still in his prime, that's a super team. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Am I missing any?

Nah, that originally Danny Ainge Celtic team was sort of the first super team in this era.
    How were the Warriors not? They added one of the maybe 10 greatest players ever to Curry and Thompson. That's an obvious one.
    The Lakers added Anthony Davis to a team featuring Lebron still in his prime, that's a super team. 
    OK so two people is not a Superteam to me, that's just a difference of the meaning though. The Bulls adding Rodman and Kukoc makes them a superteam?
    Cavs is a longshot to me but I can see it.  Nobody was raving about Love until he got to the Cavs though.
    Warriors again were stacked from draft picks, adding KD was over the top yes.
    AD and LBJ aren't a superteam when the rest were bit players. 

It's an interesting perspective to talk about.  I disagree with throwing around the term though.  Adding a piece is different from loading up with players.  The Nets acquiring 3 future HOFers was definitely a superteam.

Like the Kobe/Shaq Lakers I would not consider a superteam.  That was a good player leaving for another team and they gelled. I mean Kobe was good before shaq when he got there he became great.

I agree on the Celtics to a point.  Ray Allens numbers dropped significantly when he went to Boston but still good.

I enjoy the conversation, so thank you.
  • Options

Am I missing any?

I agree on the Celtics to a point.  Ray Allens numbers dropped significantly when he went to Boston but still good.

He averaged 17.4 in the title year, a noticeable drop off from the previous 2 seasons where he was basically the entire offense in Seattle sure, but not like he stopped scoring. He was not asked to carry the entire load suddenly when teamed up with 2 other hall of famers. Averaged 18.2 the following year.
    His career average is 18.9.
    The real drop off came when he went to Miami for his final 2 seasons.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,406
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    KD just should have gone to the Knicks like he wanted to. 
    I remember him saying specifically that The Knicks aren't a team that players want to play for. "The cool thing is not the Knicks"
    But the Nets were? Even with the players they got were still the 2nd team in the city 
    We talked about the Nets way more, for better or worse.  Theres only so many times you can talk about Julius Randle...
    I doubt they sold out every game 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    I remember him saying specifically that The Knicks aren't a team that players want to play for. "The cool thing is not the Knicks"
    But the Nets were? Even with the players they got were still the 2nd team in the city 
    We talked about the Nets way more, for better or worse.  Theres only so many times you can talk about Julius Randle...
    We've talked about this before too, Knicks fans are delusional...  They may have been "2nd" in attendance over the Knicks but had a better shot at winning a title.

• Options
    ^
    This got me curious. Believe it or not the Bulls lead the league in attendance. Would never have guessed that
    http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
     Knicks fans are delusional...

They are funny. They think their franchise is one of the NBA's elite franchises. 2 titles all time, last one 50 years ago,
    The elite NBA franchises start and end with the Celtics and Lakers, Honorable mentions to Bulls, Warriors, Spurs and Sixers.
    Knicks are only relevant in the media because of the city they play in. As a franchise they are pretty much a joke, especially under Dolan.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
     Knicks fans are delusional...

They are funny. They think their franchise is one of the NBA's elite franchises. 2 titles all time, last one 50 years ago,
    The elite NBA franchises start and end with the Celtics and Lakers, Honorable mentions to Bulls, Warriors, Spurs and Sixers.
    Knicks are only relevant in the media because of the city they play in. As a franchise they are pretty much a joke, especially under Dolan.
    Funny you mention where they play.  In the news here there is talk of having MSG moved...  My guess is they want the space to create another skyscraper and build the arena somewhere else.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474
    Clippers w PG and Kawhi.
    I am so, so glad that one is not working out.

actually, I root for them all to fail.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    ^
    This got me curious. Believe it or not the Bulls lead the league in attendance. Would never have guessed that
    Actually I guess it would be better to look at this as percentage of full arena, in which case the Mavs, Hawks, and Bucks lead the league. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    How do you move an arena?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    ^
    Shocked that the Pelicans are doing so bad but I guess when Zion isn't playing there isn't anything to see.
  • Options
    Slowly.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Slowly.
    HAHAHAHA!!!.

This is the stupid shit that the powers of be are discussing...
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    We've talked about this before too, Knicks fans are delusional...  They may have been "2nd" in attendance over the Knicks but had a better shot at winning a title.

Obviously the Nets had the better players. I'm talking about relevance. It's not delusional it's fact. Sure if they had won 2 or 3 titles they might have taken over NY. But they didn't. Not sure what you have against the Knicks. I've never seen someone hate a team that hasn't won in over 50 years
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:

Obviously the Nets had the better players. I'm talking about relevance. It's not delusional it's fact. Sure if they had won 2 or 3 titles they might have taken over NY. But they didn't. Not sure what you have against the Knicks. I've never seen someone hate a team that hasn't won in over 50 years
    Never ever have I stated that I hate the Knicks.  I just think the fans are delusional in thinking that they have something special year, after year after year... It's not hope, it's delusional.  I have hope for the Angels doing better than what they have done, not thinking they have a shot at winning a WS.

The Nets with their big 3 were more relevant at first.  Then the stupid shit started piling up and became the talk of the town for a different reason.

The Mets, like the Nets sometimes gain more traction than their cross town rivals in relevance, it happens.
  • Options
    The Knicks have not been relevant since Patrick Ewing left town.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Remember when they won 1 game in the playoffs against Atlanta and they did everything short of having a parade?
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:

Never ever have I stated that I hate the Knicks.  I just think the fans are delusional in thinking that they have something special year, after year after year... It's not hope, it's delusional.  I have hope for the Angels doing better than what they have done, not thinking they have a shot at winning a WS.

The Nets with their big 3 were more relevant at first.  Then the stupid shit started piling up and became the talk of the town for a different reason.

The Mets, like the Nets sometimes gain more traction than their cross town rivals in relevance, it happens.
    You get excited when a huge free agent turns us down. It's not our fault the media names us as a possible destination. And no we don't think we have something special year after year. 
    And I could be wrong but were the Nets on ESPN/ABC and TNT more than the Knicks?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:

You get excited when a huge free agent turns us down. It's not our fault the media names us as a possible destination. And no we don't think we have something special year after year. 
    And I could be wrong but were the Nets on ESPN/ABC and TNT more than the Knicks?
    EVERY free agent turns the Knicks down...  The players talk, nobody wants to come here.  They love playing here and beating the Knicks but they don't want to play for them.

As far as having something special in a team year after year?  I listen to enough sports radio to get an ear full from the fans.  

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    edited February 2023
    Jumb0 said:
    Remember when they won 1 game in the playoffs against Atlanta and they did everything short of having a parade?
    I believe that was a screw up, lol.

The confetti dropped.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:

EVERY free agent turns the Knicks down...  The players talk, nobody wants to come here.  They love playing here and beating the Knicks but they don't want to play for them.

As far as having something special in a team year after year?  I listen to enough sports radio to get an ear full from the fans.  

Not every free agent otherwise all our players would only be draft picks. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:

Not every free agent otherwise all our players would only be draft picks. 
    Stop it, you know what I mean.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:

This season 17 national TV games for Nets, 12 for Knicks
    NBA schedule 2022-23: Which teams have the most games on national TV? Warriors, Lakers, Celtics... - AS USA

Last season 26 for Nets, 22 for Knicks

National TV Games By Team: 2021-22 : nba (reddit.com)