Options

Who's your favorite baseball player currently? Who's your favorite baseball player of all-time?

Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
These questions popped in my head the other night.  Baseball has gone insane with the home run over the past few years, however fan support continues to decrease and there's a looming negotiation for a new CBA.  Do you still enjoy the game of baseball and is there a player you loved growing up?  Is there still a player you love right now?
I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.

Comments

• Options

Growing up

The Cubs had a 3rd baseman, Bill Madlock, who won back to back batting titles in 75 and 76. He was a hitting Machine. The Cubs, being the cheap ding-a-lings that they were at the time, traded him away, instead of giving him a pay raise. He went on to win 3 more batting titles, and a World Series in 79 with Pittsburgh. I would have loved to have seen Mantle, Clemente, and Mays play. I do remember seeing Aaron play his last couple years.

I cant say that I love any players today. Im 53 years old, and I just don't have the passion for baseball as I had 40 years ago. But I have to give Trout all the credit in the world. When his career comes to an end, he just may be considered the greatest of all time.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I definitely still enjoy the game today. It's honestly the only major sport that I watch on a very regular basis. The homers seem a bit out of control, but the game as a whole is just as exciting to watch. (Of course it helps that my team, the Astros, is playing well. Those 100 loss seasons were tough to watch, but I still watched them.) My current favorite player is Jose Altuve. My favorite player on another team has to be Trout. Those 2 are just a lot of fun to watch.

Growing up, I loved watching Mike Scott, Nolan Ryan, Jose Cruz and many other Astros. My favorite player growing up from another team was Greg Maddux. I loved watching him pitch.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I like Francisco Lindor.  Great player, plays for my favorite team and just seems to have fun and is always smiling.

When I was a kid?  Maybe Cal Ripkin or Ryne Sandberg

Favorite player of all time is Ty Cobb
  • Options

I remember my dad taking me to a game back in the late 70's. Cubs/Dodgers

Back when the Dodgers had Lopes/Russell/Cey/Garvey. We had great seats in the lower box. I remember having a 35m camera and getting pictures . Cey and Garvey actually posed together for me. I still to this day(its actually 10 feet away from me in my closet) have my autograph book, that those 4 signed. Great memory.

Have lots of great memories of going to Wrigley with dad.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    edited August 2019
    Still love it
    Favorite now?  Joey Votto.  His game is declining but his sense of humor is awesome.  The crap this guy does/says just kills me.

Favorite of all time?  Ken Griffey, Jr.   Too bad my favorite player was traded to my favorite team after his greatest days, but it was still cool to have him on the team.

Favorite as a kid?  Eric Davis.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Don’t pay attention now but grew up a big Cubs fan in the 80’s and 90’s and Mark Grace was my favorite player.  It was fun watching all the games on WGN in the afternoons.  Was a great time to be a Bulls fan too.
  • Options

The last time I went to a game because I JUST HAD to see a certain player live in concert?

Back in the mid 90's I went to Comiskey because Griffey Jr. was in town. Jr. hit 2 dingers.

Mission accomplished!  

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,802
    edited August 2019
    Don’t pay attention now but grew up a big Cubs fan in the 80’s and 90’s and Mark Grace was my favorite player.  It was fun watching all the games on WGN in the afternoons.  Was a great time to be a Bulls fan too.
    Running home from school in the mid 70's, to catch the last 3 innings or so of the Cubs on WGN. Good memories.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Favorite player growing up was Ryne Sandberg.

Favorite player today is Anthony Rizzo.  He epitomizes being a professional ball player. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Favorite player growing up was Ryne Sandberg.

Favorite player today is Anthony Rizzo.  He epitomizes being a professional ball player. 
    I agree with you on Rizzo. Both he and Bryant come across as just true professionals.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    This is impossible.

Who started this thread? Some fucking sick masochist -- that's who!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,931
    Growing up, Dale Murphey was my favorite.  He's the reason I wore #3 when I played little league. Had the privilege of meeting him a few years and is an awesome guy.  
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Growing up Jack Morris.

Today none.  Baseball sucks...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    dankind said:
    This is impossible.

Who started this thread? Some fucking sick masochist -- that's who!
    Hey I may be a masochist, but I am not sick!  MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!
  • Options
    Growing up was always tough for me to pick a favorite, because my team wasn't any good between 1986-2013 (Royals).  My current favorite is Alex Gordon.  Growing up, I did admire the hell out of Cal Ripken Jr.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,201
    today I'd have to say Mike Trout.  the game does suck today though. it's all strikeouts, home runs and pitching changes. might as well just check your phone for the score once in a while that watch. the ball is rarely actually put in play.

young kid growing up my favorite was Larry Bowa.  he made me want to play shortstop for the Phillies.  alas of course that didn't happen.

other favorites from youngster to mid age in no particular order: Dave Parker, Andre Dawson, Will Clark, Don Mattingly, Lenny Dykstra, JR Richard, Ryan Howard, John-tonight-let-it-be-Lowenstein
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    I've lost much of my love for baseball.  I still love the game itself, but what I don't love is the way it's organized.  At one time, there was a fair degree of consistency in a teams make up.  For example, Willie Mays, Willie McCovey and Jim Davenport all played for the S.F. Giants very close to the same years, each averaging 12 to 14 years with the team.  What a blast it was to see those guys play year after year!  That just never happens anymore.  There is no consistency and players get traded out like musical chairs.

My favorite player of all time?  Tough choice, but I'd have to go with Willie Mays.  I loved seeing him play many a game in that foggy, breezing old Candlestick Park.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    The older I've gotten, the less I'll watch a game "casually." I remember thinking in 2015 that the game was doing great, however i was only thinking this in the vacuum of, my team just won the World Series.  I've really started falling out of touch with teams and players that aren't members of my favorite team.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited August 2019
    I'm fairly close to giving up on it altogether. The changes they've made to the game to appease the short attention spans of today's "fans" has killed the spirit of the game. There was a purity about it that just isn't there anymore for me. I'll likely not renew my 10-game plan next season. I still love Fenway Park and the Red Sox, but the game being played on the field these days is soulless.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    What's depressing to me is how much incentive there is to be the worst in baseball to get high draft picks, especially in smaller markets.  Kudos to the Cubs and Astros making it work.  However, my team went from champs to the second-to-third worst team in baseball a few years later.  Now, they're mired in another string of 90-100 loss seasons, while they try to re-stock their farm system.  Most of the AL has teams tanking just so they can try to copy what the Astros and Cubs did.  The same can be said in the NFL and NBA, however the amount of time it takes to rebuild is so much longer in baseball.
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    dankind said:
    I'm fairly close to giving up on it altogether. The changes they've made to the game to appease the short attention spans of today's "fans" has killed the spirit of the game. There was a purity about it that just isn't there anymore for me. I'll likely not renew my 10-game plan next season. I still love Fenway Park and the Red Sox, but the game being played on the field these days is soulless.

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,106
    Current: Ronald Acuña 
    Growing up: Tom Glavine
    Yes, I'm a Braves homer. 
  • Options
    Current: Ronald Acuña 
    Growing up: Tom Glavine
    Yes, I'm a Braves homer. 
    Nothing wrong with that.  When I was at my folks last year, they had me go through some boxes of my stuff from when I was little.  I found a book I drew when I was 6, where Bo Jackson was teaching me how to hit home runs.  Maybe Bo Jackson was my favorite growing up.  It would be a homer thing for me to say George Brett, but I was too young to appreciate Brett in his prime.  I do remember his 3,000 hit at least.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474
    Bumgarner

Bonds
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,430
    ed243421 said:

Nice !!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I still love the game of baseball at its core, but I admit I'm a little old & grumpy when it comes to the exit velo, launch angle, home run or sit the fuck down that the game is quickly becoming.  It's always going to be my favorite sport, no matter what, and I'm sure we'll eventually cycle back to hitting, slugging (and by that I mean hitting doubles & triples, not just homers), advancing runners, etc.  History repeats and I can't help but think what we're going through now is likely how many people felt 100 years ago.  But the bottom line is, baseball is and always will be the best.
    Growing up, Ryne Sandberg was my favorite player.  He and Harry Caray are the two main reasons I'm a Cubs fan.  Grace, Dawson, & Sosa are up there as far as Cubs fandom goes.  Kirby Puckett was my favorite non-Cub, and I was also a big fan of the hometown boy John Kruk.
    Favorite current player is Anthony Rizzo.  Non-Cub would be Buster Posey.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    Current: Rhys Hoskins.
    Runner-up: Mike Trout (if he didn't play on the west coast maybe would be my favorite). I'm on the east coast so I rarely get to see him play.

All-time: Mike Schmidt
    Runners-up: Cal Ripken Jr., Ken Griffey Jr., and when he first came out until the steroid scandal I was a huge Roger Clemens fan
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474
    I still love the game of baseball at its core, but I admit I'm a little old & grumpy when it comes to the exit velo, launch angle, home run or sit the fuck down that the game is quickly becoming.  It's always going to be my favorite sport, no matter what, and I'm sure we'll eventually cycle back to hitting, slugging (and by that I mean hitting doubles & triples, not just homers), advancing runners, etc.  History repeats and I can't help but think what we're going through now is likely how many people felt 100 years ago.  But the bottom line is, baseball is and always will be the best.
    Growing up, Ryne Sandberg was my favorite player.  He and Harry Caray are the two main reasons I'm a Cubs fan.  Grace, Dawson, & Sosa are up there as far as Cubs fandom goes.  Kirby Puckett was my favorite non-Cub, and I was also a big fan of the hometown boy John Kruk.
    Favorite current player is Anthony Rizzo.  Non-Cub would be Buster Posey.
    Harry Caray was the worst.

worst. ever.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I loved Ron Santo.
    Caray?  Not so much. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved