Options

Who's your favorite baseball player currently? Who's your favorite baseball player of all-time?

Comments

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    Most disliked player:
    Growing up - David Justice, no real reason. In my 12 year old mind, David Justice was the enemy.
    Recent - Christian Yelich.  I reeeeally want to like him but ain't gonna happen so long as he's a :sick: Brewer.
    All-time - Ryan Braun.  Fuck Ryan Braun.
    Hell, some Braves fans disliked Justice. A lot of them forgave him when he hit the homer to win game 6 against Cleveland in 1995. Personally, I was jealous of him being married to Halle Berry.
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    Players I hated on my own team:

Jose Guillen, Neifi Perez, Vin Mazzaro, Yuniesky Betancourt, Kyle Davies, Juan Gonzalez (who barely played for the Royals in 2004)
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    edited August 2019
    Most disliked player:
    Growing up - David Justice, no real reason. In my 12 year old mind, David Justice was the enemy.
    Recent - Christian Yelich.  I reeeeally want to like him but ain't gonna happen so long as he's a :sick: Brewer.
    All-time - Ryan Braun.  Fuck Ryan Braun.
    Hell, some Braves fans disliked Justice. A lot of them forgave him when he hit the homer to win game 6 against Cleveland in 1995. Personally, I was jealous of him being married to Halle Berry.
    David Justice was a pretty boy.....that was ugly. It was a weird thing. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    little kid ... Robin Yount
    high school ... Ken Griffey Jr
    last 20 years ... Kenny Powers
    current ... Christian Yelich
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    little kid ... Robin Yount
    high school ... Ken Griffey Jr
    last 20 years ... Kenny Powers
    current ... Christian Yelich
    LoL, Season 1 of Eastbound and Down May be my favorite season of comedy ever.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    edited August 2019
    Fuck pedro

And Dave Roberts 
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    I was introduced to BB at Fenway Park a long time ago.  I fell in love with baseball.  Moved to Philly area and became a Phils fan.  Yes I changed allegiance, hard to believe from a Boston fan I know.  :)  Current favorite, Aaron Nola, if I have to pick one.  All time, damn, too hard.  I love Pete Rose and 100% believe he should be in hall of fame.  At different periods of time, there was Dwight Evans, Carlton Fisk, Ted Simmons, Doug Glanville, Chase Utley, Bobby Abreu, Dale Murphy.  At one point, it was even  the entire Philadelphia Phillies roster.  :)  
  • Options
    One of the reasons why I started this thread, is because I think out of all the major sports baseball still holds the most sentimental value.  So many who hold baseball in high regard can share an experience that made a lasting impression on the rest of their life.
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,382
    Current: Justin Verlander (although I really wish he was still a Tiger) 

All time: Pete Rose
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    MayDay10 said:
    Back on topic though. I know its a childhood thing as well, but I really liked the Icon players from the 80s and early 90s

George Brett
    Robin Yount
    Cal Ripkin
    Ryne Sandberg
    Tony Gwynn
    Ozzie Smith
    Rickey Henderson
    Wade Boggs
    Mike Schmidt
    Kirby Puckett
    and so on.

Outside of Henderson and kind of Boggs.  I think a lot has to do with going mostly coast to coast with 1 franchise.  Nowadays that is the exception.  
    not on topic.   I should be allowed back in if this gets through.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    One of the reasons why I started this thread, is because I think out of all the major sports baseball still holds the most sentimental value.  So many who hold baseball in high regard can share an experience that made a lasting impression on the rest of their life.
    Oh dude, sentimental, whole hearted.  As I said, I'm in Philly area now, totally a football city, I HATE that.  I named a few, I could have named many, many more who have been a favorite of mine at one time or another.  I love the game, love it. Just so you know, I'm of the female persuasion.  I was young when my father took my two sisters and I to a weekend series at Fenway.  Changed my life.  Did nothing for my sisters, but it totally affected me.  
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Growing up: Griffey Jr., Todd Hundley, Mike Piazza

Today: Peter Alonso, Jeff McNeil
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,845

wait, no Gary Carter?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    Growing up: Lenny Dykstra

All-time: Chase Utley

Current: Aaron Nola

Some non-Phillies favorites include Canseco, Mattingly, Griffey, Henderson, Randy Johnson, and Smoltz

that is one fucked up list.
    But you're a maniac troll, so if you think my list is fucked up, it must be totally normal. 

dykstra’s my favorite player currently doing time.
    He is most certainly NOT doing time. He is currently in training for his boxing match against the Bagel Boss Guy. Big things happening for The Dude at the moment. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Gary Carter said:⁹

wait, no Gary Carter?
    Haha, I started watching sports around age 4 and by age 7 Carter retired. I changed my board name to get away from the metsfan name and Gary Carter just happen to pass away around the time I wanted to change my board name

• Options

wait, no Gary Carter?
    Haha, I started watching sports around age 4 and by age 7 Carter retired. I changed my board name to get away from the metsfan name and Gary Carter just happen to pass away around the time I wanted to change my board name
    I have a friend who grew up in Montreal and Gary Carter is his favorite player of all time.  Such an underrated player and easily one of the top catchers to ever play the game.
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    This is going to sound weird. I was a die hard Boston Red Sox fan. (Don’t really follow sports anymore. Hard to care about multi millionaires playing a dumb game and still finding ways to complain) still pick the Sox for my team. But my all time favorite player would have to be Derek Jeter. His leadership on and off the field. The class he brought to the organization and himself. The consistency, the fact he never changed teams for the big bucks. So on and so on. Hate the Yankees with a passion but loved Jeter. Blasphemy I know. But just trying to be honest. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    Great topic!!!

i’ve had many favorites over the years. My first favorite player was Reginald Martinez Jackson. I was really young but I remember him playing for the Yankees. When he went to the Halos they became my fav team. 

When he retired I enjoyed Ryne Sandberg, Greg Maddux, Lynn Nolan Ryan, aNd Vince Coleman for his first 4 years in the majors. 

Then in 1996 I found a new player to root for. His name was Derek Jeter. I collected him during his whole career and still do. He and Reggie will always be my favorites. 

During Jeters playing days I always appreciated Bonds, Randy Johnson, Alex Rodriguez, Chad Curtis, Darin Erstead, Jim Edmonds, Pujols, Roger Clemens, Frank Thomas aNd Ichiro to name a few. 

I currently dont have a favorite player but follow and collect a bunch of players like Bregman, Judge, Severino, Trea Turner, mookie Betts aNd Corey Seager. 
  • Options

wait, no Gary Carter?
    I have a friend who grew up in Montreal and Gary Carter is his favorite player of all time.  Such an underrated player and easily one of the top catchers to ever play the game.
    Darling once said had carter and his binder of notes not come to the mets, the mets pitching staff wouldn't have ever been great. Not exactly word for word but something to that extent 

• Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 549
    edited August 2019
    All time fave: Puckett
    2nd : Ichiro
    loved to hate (but greats) Rickey Henderson, Otis Nixon
    current respect for Verlander

Post edited by erebus on
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,747
    Dislike:
    As a youngster: Will Clark
    All time: Barry Bonds
    Current: Yadier Molina
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    love me some fat guy kirby puckett and tony gwynn!
  • Options
    Dislike? MARK LEMKE. 

Fuck that guy. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    This is going to sound weird. I was a die hard Boston Red Sox fan. (Don’t really follow sports anymore. Hard to care about multi millionaires playing a dumb game and still finding ways to complain) still pick the Sox for my team. But my all time favorite player would have to be Derek Jeter. His leadership on and off the field. The class he brought to the organization and himself. The consistency, the fact he never changed teams for the big bucks. So on and so on. Hate the Yankees with a passion but loved Jeter. Blasphemy I know. But just trying to be honest. 
    As I said, I was raised a Red Sox fan, and all my family remain Red Sox fans; therefore, we hate the Yankees.  You are spot on about Jeter, he is the only Yankee I could even remotely like.  He is one class act.  
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Favorites from yesteryear:
    Orel Hershiser
    Dave Stewart 

Current Favorites:
    The Tigers

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    As I said, I was raised a Red Sox fan, and all my family remain Red Sox fans; therefore, we hate the Yankees.  You are spot on about Jeter, he is the only Yankee I could even remotely like.  He is one class act.  
    Glad I’m not the only one. Go Sox!
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    This is now official

• Options
    Glad I’m not the only one. Go Sox!
    I guess you missed my original post . . . Go Phils!!  :)  Probably the one thing that remains from my Red Sox devotion is my hate for the Yanks.  :)  Hate referring to the "sports rivalry" sense only.  
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    Andre Dawson when I was a kid. 

Now, the cast of "Major League". Especially Pedro and Wild Thing. Willy Mays Hayes gets an honorable mention. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV