Biggest rock and roll missteps

13»

Comments

• pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    DewieCox said:
    You guys are giving too much credit to the Dixie Chicks. Jumping on a bandwagon at its finest.
    What other country act was taking on the Bush administration? What huge act had so much to lose by doing so? That comment is ridiculous. Gotta be people on the wagon for it to be a bandwagon. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    DewieCox said:
    You guys are giving too much credit to the Dixie Chicks. Jumping on a bandwagon at its finest.
    For a rock act to bash a Republican administration is no big deal.  Country is a completely different ball game.  For them to do what they did was monumental and practically career suicide.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    They werent just a country act at that point. They had huge crossover success and it was a calculated move to ensure they’d have a strong following if they moved completely beyond a country audience. 

There was huge anti Bush sentiment that had  welled up before they made their statement. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    DewieCox said:
    They werent just a country act at that point. They had huge crossover success and it was a calculated move to ensure they’d have a strong following if they moved completely beyond a country audience. 

There was huge anti Bush sentiment that had  welled up before they made their statement. 
    I think, but I'm not sure, that Pearl Jam made an anti Bush statement?
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    DewieCox said:

This weekend we rock Portland
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    I don't really consider that an album. Its a collection of rare tracks and b-sides. 

I know people love a lot of the double albums (Wall, White album, Quadrophenia, MCIS, that RHCP LP, it goes on). I'm just saying, out of those 25-35 tracks, There is a great 14 track album. Maybe another OK 10 track record, and some dregs. Make the 1 great album, do other shit with the remainder. There is never a reason for a record to be so long. *
    Do what Radiohead did and release the second disc nine months or so later. 
    (I don't care what anyone else says, Kid A and Amnesiac is a double album that was released as two separate discs at different times. The speculated upcoming reissue should confirm this.)

I agree with you about compilations like Lost Dogs. They're just getting stuff out of the vault.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    rummy said:
    I don't really consider that an album. Its a collection of rare tracks and b-sides. 

I know people love a lot of the double albums (Wall, White album, Quadrophenia, MCIS, that RHCP LP, it goes on). I'm just saying, out of those 25-35 tracks, There is a great 14 track album. Maybe another OK 10 track record, and some dregs. Make the 1 great album, do other shit with the remainder. There is never a reason for a record to be so long. *
    (I don't care what anyone else says, Kid A and Amnesiac is a double album that was released as two separate discs at different times. The speculated upcoming reissue should confirm this.)

I agree with you about compilations like Lost Dogs. They're just getting stuff out of the vault.
    Vs/Vitalogy box set?

PJ's first 3 albums were pretty much written before they made one.
  • rummy said:

I agree with double albums. But more from a manager/record company POV - you have two releases to make money off instead of just one. Split them up!

The same with Metallicas overly long albums. Load and Reload could have been three albums! Three tours! Three times the amount singles!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    rummy said:

Vs/Vitalogy box set?

PJ's first 3 albums were pretty much written before they made one.
    For what it's worth, I most definitely pair Vs and Vitalogy. 
    I think a difference with Radiohead is that all the tracks from both albums were ready to go in 2000.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    From the AllMusic review notes to Velvet Underground's Loaded

Sterling Morrison once said of Loaded, "It showed that we could have, all along, made truly commercial sounding records," but just as importantly, it proved they could do so without entirely abandoning their musical personality in the process. It's a pity that notion hadn't occurred to anyone a few years earlier.

Was it a misstep of VU to not make more commercial records earlier on while "maintaining their musical personality"? 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.