Options

Biggest rock and roll missteps

Comments

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,908
    Or any band that released a double album instead of cutting it down to a single album. 
    The Wall? Come on now. Great double album. 
    Especially that one.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:
    Years ago when Jimmy Buffet stepping of the edge of the stage and injuring himself- that was a major misstep.  That's the only kind of misstep I know of.  All music is good (to someone).  Happiness is good (to almost everyone- but mot everyone).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rta9CHp7bEE
    Oww!  And then later, Bono falls off a bicycle and wrecks his hand.  I think he said he that as a result, would not be able to play guitar again.

Bono's bike accident predates Edge walking off the stage by about 6 months.

The bike accident was Nov 2014 when they were about to do a run on Jimmy Fallon to promote Songs of Innocence, Edge fell of stage on opening night of the I&E tour the following May.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    brianlux said:
    The Stones allowing the Hells Angels to be their security?
    Probably the winner
    Right along with having that sordid affair in the first place AND setting it up in that wind tunnel called Altamont Pass.  SO glad I opted out last minute on going there with a friend.
    Wow.  Good call.  So people thought it would be a shit show from the very beginning?
    Some people thought it would be like Woodstock but mostly because the thing was really hyped.  I knew what the area was like and the road to it and knew be a drag even just getting there.  One roommate went and looked really ragged the next day and sorry he went.  The rest of us guys stayed home and had a much better time spinning records and partying.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    Nice one.
  • Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Kiss taking off the make up?
    Dixie Chicks criticizing President and taking a lot of heat for it
    original American Idol co-host quitting and leaving it to Seacrest?
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    erebus said:
    The best rock n roll band in that list are the Dixie Chicks. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,845

:lol: (sorry Ed)
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,933
    edited July 2019
    erebus said:
    KISS taking off the makeup boosted a career in shambles and made their first unmasked album Lick it Up a hit. The follow up Animalize was also a hit.

I'd say their biggest misstep was their "The Wall":

As Ace has said, if they wouldn't have pushed for The Elder and instead made a hardrock album like Creatures of the Night he probably wouldn't have left the band.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Probably the winner
    Right along with having that sordid affair in the first place AND setting it up in that wind tunnel called Altamont Pass.  SO glad I opted out last minute on going there with a friend.
    Wow.  Good call.  So people thought it would be a shit show from the very beginning?
    Some people thought it would be like Woodstock but mostly because the thing was really hyped.  I knew what the area was like and the road to it and knew be a drag even just getting there.  One roommate went and looked really ragged the next day and sorry he went.  The rest of us guys stayed home and had a much better time spinning records and partying.
    The Grateful Dead thought the same way you did and decided NOT to play that night.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Releasing Mankind on No Code. Great album. Horrible track. Whale Song horrible. 
    :bring_it:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    erebus said:
    Dixie Chicks criticizing President and taking a lot of heat for it.
    That was a bold move done by smart ladies who knew exactly what they were doing.  Career wise, was it really a misstep?  I think it just shifted their audience base a little to the smarter edge of things.  They may well have been quite glad for that.  I know I would have been.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    agreed. the chicks are in total control and they don't regret a thing. well calculated to do it over seas and a clear indication that country music radio is for american sheep. shut up and sing....great movie and song. fueled the fire quite well  ;)

• Options
    Criticizing the president is a very RnR thing to do and not a misstep. Clearly 15 years later, we see they were right.

Unfortunately, it did derail their careers for a few years. I'm sure if they came back now with a record, the tour would be massive.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Saw the Dixie Chicks in concert after the Bush bashing and they sold out the place. And Fresno, CA is a super conservative town but the place was rocking hard. And what a great band. Great show. Love the Dixie Chicks. Wish they would come back and bash the orange douchebag in office now. 

plus i think that the Dixie Chicks knew that their die hard country base might leave but they would certainly gain some more fans with some honest talk to go with their good music. And the album after the Bush bashing was outstanding. 
    Post edited by pearljammr78 on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,837

What show is this from? @pearljammr78
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    VanHalen hiring Extreme's singer as their 3rd singer. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:

I have no idea. Was looking for the gif when Ed jumped over the speaker and ate it hard on Google and this popped up. It’s a good one for sure. Must have been a two or three bottle night. Lol
  • Options
    I think LA 2013? I
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,845
    Fyre Festival :lol:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    I think LA 2013? I
    Maybe night two. I was at both shows. Ed drank a lot night two. Even poured the wine over himself at a point. Lol
  • Options
    And then there's the slippery slick set list stage fall set up.  Ouch!

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,933
    mcgruff10 said:

I have no idea. Was looking for the gif when Ed jumped over the speaker and ate it hard on Google and this popped up. It’s a good one for sure. Must have been a two or three bottle night. Lol
    Jumped over the speaker. That is Alive from Milan 2006. The entire crowd gasped and went quiet for what felt like forever, when standing in the crowd.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    2013 tour Ed drank a lot.  Seemed that every show he was lit that year and I attended 5 of them, well 6 if you count Wrigley.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,749
    pjhawks said:
    May Chamberlain choosing snl over pearl jam
    Poor guy was left stuck collaborating with David Bowie, Elton John, Soundgarden, Tori Amos, Bruce Springsteen, neko case, Garbage, a perfect circle, morrisey, frank ocean, Keith urban, Eric Clapton, dierks Bentley, Brandi carlile, John Mayer and countless others over the course of 30 years.

He must be kicking himself.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Or any band that released a double album instead of cutting it down to a single album. 
    The Wall? Come on now. Great double album. 
    Especially that one.
    That must be some good acid. Cause your tripping hard. Lol. I love The Wall. Never have seen the movie not tripping so that helps. But love the albums. 
  • Options
    What about lost dogs? Maybe two or three songs could have been cut but overall solid double album. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I don't really consider that an album. Its a collection of rare tracks and b-sides. 

I know people love a lot of the double albums (Wall, White album, Quadrophenia, MCIS, that RHCP LP, it goes on). I'm just saying, out of those 25-35 tracks, There is a great 14 track album. Maybe another OK 10 track record, and some dregs. Make the 1 great album, do other shit with the remainder. There is never a reason for a record to be so long. *

* I am aware the "double album" comes from the pre-CD days of 2 LPs. I know 2LPs are perceived and conceived differently today. For argument's sake, I am talking about a record that needs to be stretched over and fills a majority of 2 CDs.  
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,191
    pjhawks said:
    May Chamberlain choosing snl over pearl jam
    Poor guy was left stuck collaborating with David Bowie, Elton John, Soundgarden, Tori Amos, Bruce Springsteen, neko case, Garbage, a perfect circle, morrisey, frank ocean, Keith urban, Eric Clapton, dierks Bentley, Brandi carlile, John Mayer and countless others over the course of 30 years.

He must be kicking himself.
    Millionaire as opposed to session player. No doubt kicking himself at least a little
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    You guys are giving too much credit to the Dixie Chicks. Jumping on a bandwagon at its finest.