Options

Biggest rock and roll missteps

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,019
edited July 2019 in Other Music
Does anything beat this:

So cringey. Hard to even watch at places. Lars with his art. Lars whining about James. Them struggling with coming up with lyrics in group. Etc. Could anyone take St Anger or the band serious after that?

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    Steve Perry and Journey was pretty big. 

Eagles splitting up

I dont think you can totally judge Metallica from that video seeing James was a raging alchoholic.  That was a big part of the turmoil, and thebothwr part was Bob cock Rock.  That combo is as bad as it can  get
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    David Lee Roth leaving Van Halen?
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,202
    May Chamberlain choosing snl over pearl jam

styx mr roboto

billy squier dancing in a pink half shirt in video basically killing his career
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    edited July 2019
    Years ago when Jimmy Buffet stepping of the edge of the stage and injuring himself- that was a major misstep.  That's the only kind of misstep I know of.  All music is good (to someone).  Happiness is good (to almost everyone- but mot everyone).
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,202
    brianlux said:
    Years ago when Jimmy Buffet stepping of the edge of the stage and injuring himself- that was a major misstep.  That's the only kind of misstep I know of.  All music is good (to someone).  Happiness is good (to almost everyone- but mot everyone).
    Hippie 😜
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    The Beatles breaking up
    yoko ono 

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    Does anything beat this:

So cringey. Hard to even watch at places. Lars with his art. Lars whining about James. Them struggling with coming up with lyrics in group. Etc. Could anyone take St Anger or the band serious after that?

yes this isn't even the worse Metallica misstep

Image result for metallica lulu

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    Does anything beat this:

yes this isn't even the worse Metallica misstep

Image result for metallica lulu

Metallica shitting on Napster, although warranted, didn't make them look very good.
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    Dave Grohl falling off the stage and breaking his leg. Major misstep. 

Axl Rose breaking his foot. Major misstep. 

Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    brianlux said:
    Hippie 😜
    Ah!  But not a dirty old hippie!  :smiley: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,592
    Smashing Pumpkins going electronica.(Although Jimmy Chamberlin’s drug issues played a part) 
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    Next up, we should have a thread called, "My biggest formum post misstep ".  A thread like that would be YUGE!  :lol:

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,227
    brianlux said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rta9CHp7bEE
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:
    Also happened to James Hetfield in Montreal in '92. Stepped into a pyrotechnic thing and burned his skin

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:
    Also happened to James Hetfield in Montreal in '92. Stepped into a pyrotechnic thing and burned his skin

Things didn't go well in the city of Montreal after that incident (although I believe that was more Axl Rose's fault).
  • Options
    tusevuntusevun Posts: 218
    PJ releasing Backspacer/Lighting Bolt back-to-back. 
  • Options
    Maybe Dave A. destroying Eddie's '69 Les Paul he got from Pete Townsend.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,019
    Elaborate?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Releasing Mankind on No Code. Great album. Horrible track. Whale Song horrible. 
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,944
    Any album over 45 min. 

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,944
    Or any band that released a double album instead of cutting it down to a single album. 
  • Options
    Elaborate?
    http://www.alternativenation.net/dave-abbruzzese-calls-story-eddie-vedder-wanted-fired-bs/
  • Options
    Or any band that released a double album instead of cutting it down to a single album. 
    The Wall? Come on now. Great double album. 
  • Options
    I agree with this. It's impossible to say/agree upon what songs should be omitted from any given double album but they always seem too "diluted."
  • Options
    Any album over 45 min. 

Another interesting point as many of the lengthy 90s albums (eg, Bloodsugarsexmagik, Superunknown) would have been double albums if released in the pre-CD era.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,022
    The Stones allowing the Hells Angels to be their security?
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:
    Oww!  And then later, Bono falls off a bicycle and wrecks his hand.  I think he said he that as a result, would not be able to play guitar again.

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Probably the winner
  • Options
    Probably the winner
    Right along with having that sordid affair in the first place AND setting it up in that wind tunnel called Altamont Pass.  SO glad I opted out last minute on going there with a friend.

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    brianlux said:
    Probably the winner
    Right along with having that sordid affair in the first place AND setting it up in that wind tunnel called Altamont Pass.  SO glad I opted out last minute on going there with a friend.
    Wow.  Good call.  So people thought it would be a shit show from the very beginning?