Options

Where do you wish you could live?

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,013
    I did live in Barbados so if you are unsure I will give it my seal of approval.

Fantastic place to live.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    I always loved San Francisco so that would have to be my choice. Delicious fresh food, surfing, not too hot, beautiful scenery. I've also been interested in Alcatraz since I was young, so I would probably just gaze at the island every now and then. 
    Have you been lately?
    City has changed so much.  I used to love it.  Kind of loathe it, now.
    Still beautiful but mega-overcrowded.  Douchelords took it over, as well.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I always loved San Francisco so that would have to be my choice. Delicious fresh food, surfing, not too hot, beautiful scenery. I've also been interested in Alcatraz since I was young, so I would probably just gaze at the island every now and then. 
    Have you been lately?
    Tent City...
  • Options
    FactoryMan93FactoryMan93 Posts: 715
    Have you been lately?
    Last visit was 2016. I want to go soon, but I am hoping a Pearl Jam tour next year allows me to hold off lol. I've been lucky enough to have visited a few times, and it's always the same to me. I do not define myself as a tourist, I define myself as a traveller. I don't hang around Fisherman's Wharf or Chinatown.
  • Options
    Have you been lately?
    Tent City...
    Isn't every metropolis?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    Have you been lately?
    Last visit was 2016. I want to go soon, but I am hoping a Pearl Jam tour next year allows me to hold off lol. I've been lucky enough to have visited a few times, and it's always the same to me. I do not define myself as a tourist, I define myself as a traveller. I don't hang around Fisherman's Wharf or Chinatown.
    Yeah, have been there loads, lived in CA for 20 years and had family & friends up in the area.  Even dodging the tourist bs it is still a crazy place now.  Still lots of great stuff but, for my money, way too jammed with people.  (And, not the "old" SF type of people.)
    Hope you can get back soon, and that you still love it!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    edited July 2019
    For me, I need a lot of golf courses.   Unless I could split time, I would probably pick Hilton Head Island.   No golf, I would live in Europe somewhere with a home that overlooks a body of water.  Italy would be great.   A smaller town where you could walk most places.
  • Options
    Have you been lately?
    Yeah, have been there loads, lived in CA for 20 years and had family & friends up in the area.  Even dodging the tourist bs it is still a crazy place now.  Still lots of great stuff but, for my money, way too jammed with people.  (And, not the "old" SF type of people.)
    Hope you can get back soon, and that you still love it!
    I guess what I enjoy most is the idea of the old charm. Seeing City Lights, or a beautiful park sort of brings that back to me.
  • Options
    Have you been lately?
    Tent City...
    Isn't every metropolis?
    Hell no.

NYC doesn't have them.  Boston doesn't have them.  Philly doesn't have them.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,537
    edited July 2019
    I think I technically live in the perfect place already, with the Pacific, the mountains, the forests, the city, and the country, all in the same place - the problem is that it is only really my ideal place with a shitload of money, given the insane cost of living here, and I unfortunately do not have a shitload of money. :disappointed: But I still can't think of any other place I'd rather live, even after considering the fact that I'm Vancouver poor. So lucky me, I was born into what I think is the best place to live in the world. There are plenty of places I would be happy to live though... The Maritimes, for example. I think I'd get on really well there. NYC is another, but the same money problem comes into play, plus the USA isn't appealing at the moment. I think Oslo could also be cool. Also expensive, lol. I have very expensive taste in locations. :tongue: I'm a bit limited here, because I hate warm weather. That kind of rules out most of the world for me, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,003
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think I technically live in the perfect place already, with the Pacific, the mountains, the forests, the city, and the country, all in the same place - the problem is that it is only really my ideal place with a shitload of money, given the insane cost of living here, and I unfortunately do not have a shitload of money. :disappointed: But I still can't think of any other place I'd rather live, even after considering the fact that I'm Vancouver poor. So lucky me, I was born into what I think is the best place to live in the world. There are plenty of places I would be happy to live though... The Maritimes, for example. I think I'd get on really well there. NYC is another, but the same money problem comes into play, plus the USA isn't appealing at the moment. I think Oslo could also be cool. Also expensive, lol. I have very expensive taste in locations. :tongue: I'm a bit limited here, because I hate warm weather. That kind of rules out most of the world for me, lol.
    Oslo is the only place I've ever seen heroin needles lying around. And it's tooooo damn expensive. Avoid that city.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,537
    edited July 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oslo is the only place I've ever seen heroin needles lying around. And it's tooooo damn expensive. Avoid that city.
    Er, I guess I'd feel right at home there then, lol. There are heroin needles lying around in Vancouver too - every major west coast city in Canads and the USA have that problem because the mild climate attracts homeless drug addicts. And like I said, Vancouver is toooooo damn expensive as well. More so than Oslo. DESPITE those things, Vancouver is still my perfect place. I'm sure no place exists where you don't have to take some bad with the good, one way or another.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Er, I guess I'd feel right at home there then, lol. There are heroin needles lying around in Vancouver too - every major west coast city in Canads and the USA have that problem because the mild climate attracts homeless drug addicts. And like I said, Vancouver is toooooo damn expensive as well. More so than Oslo. DESPITE those things, Vancouver is still my perfect place. I'm sure no place exists where you don't have to take some bad with the good, one way or another.
    North shore Mass, too. My family was out with the dog for a walk, and we found a needle on the sidewalk in front of our kids’ elementary school. The dog almost stepped on it! I called the cops and waited for them to show up and remove it so that I could warn other pedestrians about the needle if they got too close to it. The cop arrived, ruefully looked at my kids and said “I’m sorry you have to see this” before cleaning up the syringe.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Heroin has blown up in my area since the state prisons opened. 
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Seems like heroin is a problem everywhere. Even in my city.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I would never want to live in a big metropolis...but if I did, it would have to have a few major league sports teams...and Toronto would top my list...but it is expensive in Toronto...but not as expensive as the west coast cities.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Seems like heroin is a problem everywhere. Even in my city.
    It is everywhere...and sticking a needle in your vein to pump that shit into you is the dumbest thing a person could...believe it or not there are people ho want legalize heroin...I draw the line at Cannabis and cocaine...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Oh to live on Sugar Mountain....with the barkers and the coloured balloons...
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Oh to live on Sugar Mountain....with the barkers and the coloured balloons...
    What about On The Beach? Or Zuma? 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Had to Google it...beautiful but Big Sur is more to my liking if were talking California...
  • Options
    Have you been lately?
    Tent City...
    Isn't every metropolis?
    Hell no.

NYC doesn't have them.  Boston doesn't have them.  Philly doesn't have them.
    Fair point. I was making a connection between your comment and the amount of drug use, homelessness, poverty, lack of resources.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,881
    In the US:
    Montana/Wyoming
    Hawaii
    Islamorada in the Florida Keys

Global:
    Innsbruck, Austria
    New Zealand
    Iceland
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    In the US:
    Montana/Wyoming
    Hawaii

Global:
    Innsbruck, Austria
    New Zealand
    Iceland
    +1 for Innsbruck!
    Only metropolis (if it even counts as one lol) that I would consider living in!
    Maybe Bolzano too.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    In the US:
    Montana/Wyoming
    Hawaii

Global:
    Innsbruck, Austria
    New Zealand
    Iceland
    +1 for Innsbruck!
    Maybe Bolzano too.
    Bolzano was amazing too!  THe food there was amazing.  I would live in either area in a New York minute. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    In the US:
    Montana/Wyoming
    Hawaii

Global:
    Innsbruck, Austria
    New Zealand
    Iceland
    +1 for Innsbruck!
    Maybe Bolzano too.
    Bolzano was amazing too!  THe food there was amazing.  I would live in either area in a New York minute. 
    Awwww shit the food.  I had a platter of Speck and hay cheese and mwife had vegetable "dumplings" that constituted the best daytime meal of our lives.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    In the US:
    Montana/Wyoming
    Hawaii

Global:
    Innsbruck, Austria
    New Zealand
    Iceland
    +1 for Innsbruck!
    Maybe Bolzano too.
    Awwww shit the food.  I had a platter of Speck and hay cheese and mwife had vegetable "dumplings" that constituted the best daytime meal of our lives.
    So my in laws are 100% Italian. My wife and their family make some AMAZING Italian dishes.  However the best Italian meal I ever had was in Bolzano, Italy. And the wine!!!! Holy shit, fantastic. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    In the US:
    Montana/Wyoming
    Hawaii

Global:
    Innsbruck, Austria
    New Zealand
    Iceland
    +1 for Innsbruck!
    Maybe Bolzano too.
    So my in laws are 100% Italian. My wife and their family make some AMAZING Italian dishes.  However the best Italian meal I ever had was in Bolzano, Italy. And the wine!!!! Holy shit, fantastic. 
    What kind of dish was it?  
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    In the US:
    Montana/Wyoming
    Hawaii

Global:
    Innsbruck, Austria
    New Zealand
    Iceland
    +1 for Innsbruck!
    Maybe Bolzano too.
    Gnocchi with some sort of red sauce and crab meat on top of it.  Plus we got local wine that cost us something like $5 American per bottle. Appetizers were sick too.  Lots of seafood from what I remember.  Classic Italian desserts were great too. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    In the US:
    Montana/Wyoming
    Hawaii

Global:
    Innsbruck, Austria
    New Zealand
    Iceland
    +1 for Innsbruck!
    Maybe Bolzano too.
    Gnocchi with some sort of red sauce and crab meat on top of it.  Plus we got local wine that cost us something like $5 American. Appetizers were sick too.  Lots of seafood from what I remember.  
    We got bad Italian in both Milan and Venice so when we got into the Tirol we went to the Austrian dishes and were quite impressed.  The cured meats we had that week were the highlight of my life haha.

I did also eat a bunch of hotdogs lol
    I think they thought I wanted them because I'm American, it was the only kind of wurst anybody would serve me lol

• Options
    My wife is telling me now she had a German patient just recently who told her that's just the dominant wurst in the region and we would get a better variety in Germany or further east.