Options

Where do you wish you could live?

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
I just saw an episode of a local series called "back roads" which showcases off the track towns in Australia.
This week they showed Fish Creek in my home state of Victoria.
Rolling green hills meets the ocean with an artistic community. I'd love to live away from the city.

Not sure if you can watch this outside of Australia but here is the show if you are interested (click on Fish Creek to play the episode)
https://iview.abc.net.au/show/back-roads
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    ^^^ That looks pretty cool there.

My biggest goal in life right now is to live closer the the Pacific Ocean.  We are about 4 or 5 hours from the closest place on the coast and the drive keeps getting longer as the influx into California grows.  I grew up about 30 to 40 minutes from the coast so this is too far away for my liking.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    There's something healing about being near the ocean.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,804
    2 extremes here: Wyoming/Montana or Hawaii. Never been to Hawaii but I think I'd like it.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516

Coastal Maine, or the Verde Valley, Arizona.

Maine is a logical retirement destination as I've lived my entire life in the Boston area, and can't really see myself leaving the Northeast when all is said & done...

But there's something magical about Sedona, Jerome, Cottonwood etc.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,090
    Would like to try Iceland. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213
    anywhere but Sweden. too many rapes there :get_outta_here:
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    And KISS fans. :rofl:
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,065
    pjhawks said:
    lol
  • Options
    I'd do Florida Keys.  Fish all day long.
  • Options
    You'd starve.
  • Options
    You'd starve.
    hahahahahahaha!!!!
  • Options
    I'd have my own chickens too so I wouldn't starve.
  • Options
    LMAO 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Or maybe in this cabin surrounded entirely by Sequoias greater than 20 feet in diameter.
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    All the good places are only there for the wealthiest any more.

I lived in the upper Haight near Twin Peaks in San Francisco in the late sixties to early seventies working a minimum wage job and with two roommates was able to rent a 3 bedroom upstairs flat with sole use of roof-deck, sole use of garage, and shared use of small yard, with a great view and we paid $200 a month. Even adjusting for inflation, there is now way I could find a deal like that and afford to live there again.

And in the early 90's, I lived on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington in a 2 bedroom mobile on about three acres that adjoined a seemingly endless tract of Olympic National Forest with a trail we built down to a year around creek.  Wood burning stove and firewood forever.  Good times, dirt cheap rent.  Couldn't afford to live there again.

Times have changed.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
  • Options
    South Tirol/Far northern Italy in the Dolomite Alps.
    It's a dual Austrian/Italian culture with probably the best local charcuterie variety in the world and some of the most visually striking mountain vistas as well.
    Ski-lifts and Via Ferrata climbing routes on practically every mountain.
    https://m.alavigne.net/Outdoors/FeatureReports/ViaFerrata/?p=bestof&n=1#id=3594
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    You had me at charcuterie

I want to live in Italy.  Want to work in a kitchen there, and to learn.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

Which Italy though?  The cuisine in the north is nothing at all like the southern "Italian" food.

I actually prefer the northern, cured meats, good hearty bread, rich soups and varied cheeses.
    As far as traditional "Italian", I (like most Americans) prefer the adapted American-Italian cuisine with rich sauces and cooked pasta lol
    We weren't impressed with the half-cooked noodles and chopped-tomato sauce we were served as "traditional" Italian.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Which Italy though?  The cuisine in the north is nothing at all like the southern "Italian" food.

I actually prefer the northern, cured meats, good hearty bread, rich soups and varied cheeses.
    As far as traditional "Italian", I (like most Americans) prefer the adapted American-Italian cuisine with rich sauces and cooked pasta lol
    We weren't impressed with the half-cooked noodles and chopped-tomato sauce we were served as "traditional" Italian.
    Isn't the north where Barolo wine is made?  I love the wine and cheese diet.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Mmmmmmmm, cheese. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Surprised Detroit is not on people’s radars...

up and coming.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    I'm thinking somewhere like Cairns or Townsville in Queensland would be proper.  Belize would be cool, too.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    rgambs said:

Tuscany or Emilia-Romagna would be my best guess.  I am sure it will depend on where my wife would be happy, as this retirement only works if both of us will like it.
    She thinks I am nuts to work, save, retire...and that my retirement plan is to go to Italy and be a kitchen slave and work for free, but that is my dream job.  Wish I had realized it as a young person so that I could do it as a career.  At this point, if I can do it, it will be my retirement plan.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    rgambs said:

Tuscany or Emilia-Romagna would be my best guess.  I am sure it will depend on where my wife would be happy, as this retirement only works if both of us will like it.
    She thinks I am nuts to work, save, retire...and that my retirement plan is to go to Italy and be a kitchen slave and work for free, but that is my dream job.  Wish I had realized it as a young person so that I could do it as a career.  At this point, if I can do it, it will be my retirement plan.
    My father-in-law did this, but stayed in the US. After he retired as a mechanical engineer, he attended NECI in VT and worked in a restaurant kitchen for a while. He still cooks nearly every meal, but no longer at a restaurant.

Italy would be much less pressure, I would think, with it being the home of the slow food movement and all.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    I would move to San Diego in a hearbeat.  Such a beautiful area.
  • Options
    dankind said:
    rgambs said:

My father-in-law did this, but stayed in the US. After he retired as a mechanical engineer, he attended NECI in VT and worked in a restaurant kitchen for a while. He still cooks nearly every meal, but no longer at a restaurant.

Italy would be much less pressure, I would think, with it being the home of the slow food movement and all.
    That is pretty sweet!
  • Options
    FactoryMan93FactoryMan93 Posts: 716
    rgambs said:
    Or maybe in this cabin surrounded entirely by Sequoias greater than 20 feet in diameter.
    I agree. My only concern would be a forest fire. You'd literally be toast.
  • Options
    FactoryMan93FactoryMan93 Posts: 716
    I always loved San Francisco so that would have to be my choice. Delicious fresh food, surfing, not too hot, beautiful scenery. I've also been interested in Alcatraz since I was young, so I would probably just gaze at the island every now and then.