Options

Where would you rather live the US or Sweden

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    I always top up an expiring meter so the person does not get a parking ticket...I always do my part to keep the government from cashing in on parking.
    I love this.  This would never happen here really. And the bar with beers for others.  Fuckin awesome. Tip of the cap from me
    Do people let you go past them in the line at the supermarket if you're carrying few groceries in London?
    It could happen  but most people dont ask to.
    Where I live, it's borderline rude not to let someone with a few things not to go ahead of you, if you have a lot.  Exception of course is if there's an 'express' line, as everyone should be carrying a few there.  Also super annoying when someone has a check book. 
    Yeah check books are the worst. Those same people don’t have ezpass. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    I always top up an expiring meter so the person does not get a parking ticket...I always do my part to keep the government from cashing in on parking.
    I love this.  This would never happen here really. And the bar with beers for others.  Fuckin awesome. Tip of the cap from me
    Do people let you go past them in the line at the supermarket if you're carrying few groceries in London?
    Where I live, it's borderline rude not to let someone with a few things not to go ahead of you, if you have a lot.  Exception of course is if there's an 'express' line, as everyone should be carrying a few there.  Also super annoying when someone has a check book
    I am not aware of any retailers in Canada that accept cheques.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,995
    Anywhere other than planet earth
    No cheques here either.  Obsolete
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,663
    U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Where I live, it's borderline rude not to let someone with a few things not to go ahead of you, if you have a lot.  Exception of course is if there's an 'express' line, as everyone should be carrying a few there.  Also super annoying when someone has a check book. 
    Yeah check books are the worst. Those same people don’t have ezpass. 
    I wouldn't go that far down here.  Not everything is tolled here.  Where I worked for 10 years, in western Richmond, I went almost the whole time never going through a toll.  The tolls were to cross the river on one highway, so you could avoid it.  Now I work other side of the river, so I have an ezpass.  But I didn't for a long time.  Just wasn't necessary.  
    Invariably, people who have check books don't even start looking for them in their purse (yes, it's usually older women) until the total is calculated.  Then they don't have a pen, and also forget how to write the check itself.  Huge pet peeve.  
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    This is a dumb thread.
    Please close.
    I would flag, but I'm not such a wuss that flagging would be an option.
    It’s not a thread that needs closed.
    I wouldn't go as far as say that the US needs to be "closed". But some big changes should be made if you look at the rest of the world, yes.
    I agree with you about many of the things here in the U.S. that need changing.  This country has many problems.  But constantly berating the U.S. would be a bit like constantly telling a person that they are a total piece of shit and then expecting them to respond to that in a positive way.  Maybe scale back on the constant barrage of criticism or, better yet, come up with some constructive ideas AND acknowledge that there are actually some very positive things that happen here in the U.S.  Thanks.
    Well said brian.  I would like to add that there is no perfect society and no perfect system.  
    Certainly not in what is known as a "country" (a large area of land circumscribed by a line drawn on a map that most frequently does not take into account geographic characteristics such as bioregions).  But there have been (and maybe very remotely still are) tribal systems that have worked very well.  I would venture to say a tribal system is the only system that has ever worked well for groups of humans.  And probably most of the human race before the advent of agriculture.
    Do you think that has something to do with the relatively uniform nature of the culture and size of the population,  compared to something like the States?
    Yeah, tribal societies are smaller, live in the same geographic/ biological region (or transition together in varying regions if nomadic) and share cultural norms.  That gives them the stability to function well.  Countries and even states, on the other hand,  are very diverse and yet we expect people with these artificial boundaries to act and behave the same way.  What you get is more conflict.  Perhaps  people are becoming more homogeneous as a result of the internet and social media, but I would say at the expense of being less creative, inventive and distinctive, and the conflicts are as great as ever.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,069
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    Who's using a check book? Old people I presume? 

Never seen anyone pay with something else than card or cash here. Nowadays I see cash being used one time out of 100 I guess.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Canada
    Do you still get your Utility bills in the mail?  Here if we want it mailed it usually cost...basically our bills come via email.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Canada
    Do you still get your Utility bills in the mail?  Here if we want it mailed it usually cost...basically our bills come via email.
    I still get my rent and electricity in the mail. But everyone has "auto pay" so the money is drawn automatically every month or get the bills electronically. 

I don't know why I won't change it... 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I do. But most don't, im no good with computers. So i prefer bills in the mail
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Canada
    I still get my rent and electricity in the mail. But everyone has "auto pay" so the money is drawn automatically every month or get the bills electronically. 

I only use auto-pay for insurance and for my land rent...

A financial planner told me to try and avoid auto-pay...but that is easier said than done.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Canada
    I wish my bills came in the mail.  I hardly ever check my email and sometimes fall behind my bills...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    I wish my bills came in the mail.  I hardly ever check my email and sometimes fall behind my bills...lol
    You don't have a possibility set up by your webbank to draw the money for the bills every month on a set date? "Direct debit" seems to be an english translation for our system...

EDIT: missed your post above
  • Options
    U.S.A.

A financial planner told me to try and avoid auto-pay...but that is easier said than done.
    A lot of banks will give you a half point rate discount for auto pay. A person's credit risk goes down materially when the bank can draw automatically.  If you have a decent size note,  this can make a difference. So sometimes it's hard to say no. 
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,448
    edited July 2019
    cutz said:
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:

The US State Department has sent one of its top politicians to Sweden to discuss the arrested rap partner ASAP Rocky with the Swedish government.

Jan Hallenberg, at the Foreign Policy Institute, calls it extremely unusual.

- The superpower always assumes that their system is superior and that everyone else should fall in line.

ah so you are ok with your government holding a black man in jail for 3 weeks with no charges. good to know
    Why are you focusing on him being black?

You are undermining your own argument with that sleeze.
    One can only assume race is a factor based on the rampant racism uptick in Sweden.
    Racism in Sweden? No way that could ever happen. (sarcasm )
    The projecting of yours is cute.

Not every police force or justice system is as rotten as the US'.
    It's a fact(Not projecting) Google says so>LOL

The point being is, there is racism in every Country.

Way to paint with  a broad brush saying EVERY Police Force & Justice System in the US is Rotten. Is any system perfect? 
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/cc3M1nppd3c
    This is clever. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    I'm the same as i prefer my Bills in the Mail also. 

I don't think i'll ever have my Bank Info on my own Computer to pay Bills online. I don't trust it.

Also stay away from Auto-pay as much as possible. 
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    cutz said:

I don't think i'll ever have my Bank Info on my own Computer to pay Bills online. I don't trust it.

So you know, banks are at the forefront of data protection.  Governments,  courts,  stores like Target, etc., are fast more risky.  If you don't need to give anyone your data, obviously one should never.  But the reality is banks are ahead of most consumer facing organizations. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    cutz said:

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:

The US State Department has sent one of its top politicians to Sweden to discuss the arrested rap partner ASAP Rocky with the Swedish government.

- The superpower always assumes that their system is superior and that everyone else should fall in line.

ah so you are ok with your government holding a black man in jail for 3 weeks with no charges. good to know

One can only assume race is a factor based on the rampant racism uptick in Sweden.

Way to paint with  a broad brush saying EVERY Police Force & Justice System in the US is Rotten. Is any system perfect? 
    I have never said there isn't racism in every country. Or that it would be absent in Sweden. 

This though I can assure you would never be close to happening in Sweden. How is that even possible?:

And you do know that swedish racists are siding with ASAP Rocky right? Because he and his posse assaulted a middle eastern immigrant.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada

- I saw that Trump had gone out and said that he would talk sense into (prime minister) Löfven. He can go and try that if he wants, but I don't know what Löfven could do. If he were to do something on that subject, well then he would shit on our constitutional laws says Leif GW Persson.

ASAP Rocky and two of his companions have been detained being suspects for assault since July 5. On Friday, the decision came that the häktning period for all three be extended to July 25.

An expected decision according to Leif GW Persson. But he reacts to the detention period length.
    - Its only a week, normally it would be 14 days.

Why do you think that is?
    - I guess they start to realize that this is quite toxic, in normal cases you usually do not hurry once you have got through the first häktnings-period. But now they might begin to understand the breadth of it all and then they might have thrown in more people/detectives (into the investigation).

"Tricky matter"
    He also notes that a preliminary investigation has now been initiated against one of the young men who participated in the fight with ASAP Rocky and his company.
     - That can probably be a fucking tricky thing when it gets to trial. That he (ASAP Rocky) would be sentenced to prison, I believe is totally unlikely.
     - He may even end up being completely acquitted. The whole thing begins with the supposed victims and before they (ASAP Rocky and his company) go to counter-attack, they have been subjected to both assault, abuse and provocations that have been going on for several hundred meters and for several minutes. Of course, the defense will make a big number out of that.

High damages
    If he is acquitted, the damages could be high, GW believes.

- I saw in the newspaper that his missing income is close to 20 million. If he is acquitted, it is surely the sum that they try to squeeze out, says Leif GW Persson.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    I feel the express, 10-15 items are just a suggestion, not an enforced rule...either that or some peoples math skills are way off...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757

- I saw that Trump had gone out and said that he would talk sense into (prime minister) Löfven. He can go and try that if he wants, but I don't know what Löfven could do. If he were to do something on that subject, well then he would shit on our constitutional laws says Leif GW Persson.

ASAP Rocky and two of his companions have been detained being suspects for assault since July 5. On Friday, the decision came that the häktning period for all three be extended to July 25.

An expected decision according to Leif GW Persson. But he reacts to the detention period length.
    - Its only a week, normally it would be 14 days.

Why do you think that is?
    - I guess they start to realize that this is quite toxic, in normal cases you usually do not hurry once you have got through the first häktnings-period. But now they might begin to understand the breadth of it all and then they might have thrown in more people/detectives (into the investigation).

"Tricky matter"
    He also notes that a preliminary investigation has now been initiated against one of the young men who participated in the fight with ASAP Rocky and his company.
     - That can probably be a fucking tricky thing when it gets to trial. That he (ASAP Rocky) would be sentenced to prison, I believe is totally unlikely.
     - He may even end up being completely acquitted. The whole thing begins with the supposed victims and before they (ASAP Rocky and his company) go to counter-attack, they have been subjected to both assault, abuse and provocations that have been going on for several hundred meters and for several minutes. Of course, the defense will make a big number out of that.

High damages
    If he is acquitted, the damages could be high, GW believes.

- I saw in the newspaper that his missing income is close to 20 million. If he is acquitted, it is surely the sum that they try to squeeze out, says Leif GW Persson.
    Say what?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    cutz said:

So you know, banks are at the forefront of data protection.  Governments,  courts,  stores like Target, etc., are fast more risky.  If you don't need to give anyone your data, obviously one should never.  But the reality is banks are ahead of most consumer facing organizations. 
    Yes i do. But, i'm still leery. Must be the old man in me>LOL
  • Options
    cutz said:

You cut off my quote where i say that i prefer paying by Mail.
  • Options
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:

I have never said there isn't racism in every country. Or that it would be absent in Sweden. 

This though I can assure you would never be close to happening in Sweden. How is that even possible?:

And you do know that swedish racists are siding with ASAP Rocky right? Because he and his posse assaulted a middle eastern immigrant.
    I know you didn't say that there isn't racism in every Country. 

What's that picture have to do with you saying that EVERY police Force in the U.S. is rotten? Nothing, as that is not true. 

I didn't know Sweden had racist(I'm shocked that they do), so how can i know that Swedish racist are supporting ASAP Rocky>LOL. I know now.

In the video i saw the girls accused the Middle Eastern guys that they assaulted them by grabbing their ass.. ROCKY and his friends asked the men to stop following them more then once. 
  • Options
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:

A lot of banks will give you a half point rate discount for auto pay. A person's credit risk goes down materially when the bank can draw automatically.  If you have a decent size note,  this can make a difference. So sometimes it's hard to say no. 
    I am not a borrower.  So banks cannot give me a discount.  I own my own home free and clear and have made a conscious decision to live debt free...no matter what.  My financial planners beef with direct debit is that when mistakes happen and they do, it can sometimes take 6-8 weeks to correct the issue...if the direct debit mistake was from a company then it can take even longer.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Canada
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Yes? You said you preferred paying by mail. I read that as removed from "You folks should stay away from X!". I just asked what the reason would be for that, because I have a hard time seeing a downside to having money drawn every month for rent etc. That is why I asked. Out of curiosity and if there was a reason for me to still pay my rent manually.
  • Options
    Canada
    cutz said:

In the video i saw the girls accused the Middle Eastern guys that they assaulted them by grabbing their ass.. ROCKY and his friends asked the men to stop following them more then once. 
    And asking men to stop following more than once isn't a crime in Sweden. So they were in their right to do so. 
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Yes? You said you preferred paying by mail. I read that as removed from "You folks should stay away from X!". I just asked what the reason would be for that, because I have a hard time seeing a downside to having money drawn every month for rent etc. That is why I asked. Out of curiosity and if there was a reason for me to still pay my rent manually.
    It's simply about privacy and data leakage.  For many, it's better safe than sorry.  Perfectly reasonable.  Nothing is worse than being subjected to ransomware, stolen identity, etc.  
  • Options
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

All  your choice on how you want to pay.
This discussion has been closed.