Ten is Pearl Jam’s best album - do not @ me...

buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
it’s true, nothing you can say will change my mind....

Comments

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,958
    Ten.  Lol. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    on2legs said:
    Ten.  Lol. 
    I hate everything else in the catalog.....
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory Posts: 6,302
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    Oh no - now you must profess your undying love for a different album.....
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,761
    edited May 2019
    Songs are good. To me it just sounds so dated and thats a major ding against it. In terms of the classic material, at least Vs -> No Code sound more edgy and raw.  More visceral.
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    It is 100% fact that their greatest album is either Ten or Vs. 
  • rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    edited May 2019
    Songs are good. To me it just sounds so dated and thats a major ding against it. In terms of the classic material, at least Vs -> No Code sound more edgy and raw.  More visceral.
    Although I'd go Vs -> Yield instead, I get what you are saying. With this said, I think the songs from Ten still sound great on the many bootlegs...even Even Flow!
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,514
    Nobody who has been to a live show can resist master/slave into once. 
    I remember  standing  listening to all the crap p.a music before lights down and when the crowd  hears the first bars of master/slave . Goosebumps and adrenaline rush.
    Yeah ten is awesome everyday
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,277
    nope
    danny d
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,121
    101%
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • tusevuntusevun Posts: 231
    Backspacer>Lightening Bolt is the best two album run the band has produced. Absolute classics and not a single dud on them. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    tusevun said:
    Backspacer>Lightening Bolt is the best two album run the band has produced. Absolute classics and not a single dud on them. 

• Glorified KCGlorified KC Posts: 2,617
    I think if you look at Pearl Jam in the landscape of Rock history, Ten is their most recognizable and most acclaimed album.  However, when you get more deep into their catalog and start to build a relationship with their music, it’s understandable to like another record more.  To each their own.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,514
    PJNB said:
    tusevun said:

=) 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,958
    I think if you look at Pearl Jam in the landscape of Rock history, Ten is their most recognizable and most acclaimed album.  However, when you get more deep into their catalog and start to build a relationship with their music, it’s understandable to like another record more.  To each their own.
    That’s a very good way of articulating it.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

on2legs said:
    That’s a very good way of articulating it.  
    I think most PJ fans have a close relationship with one of their records.  It’s always been hard for me to say one of them is the best.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    I think a person can acknowledge that their best record may not be one's personal favorite. 
    Yep.  I think you can make a strong argument for Ten.  You can probably do the same for a few others.
    ^First three for sure. Maybe Yield, too. I want to also include No Code but I like the songs live much better than the studio versions (cue the pitch forks!)
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I’m with the poster who said it sounds dated 100%. 
  • It is 100% fact that their greatest album is either Ten or Vs. 
    I know but virology yield binaural riot act and Avacado are right there.. very close
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory Posts: 6,302
    I never understood why Jeremy was THE song from Ten. That's never been a song I e loved. And I liked it more when it was newer.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    I never understood why Jeremy was THE song from Ten. That's never been a song I e loved. And I liked it more when it was newer.
    Arguably the most overrated song on the album. I remember being surprised when it was released as a single. At the time, I thought Once or Porch (or, obviously, Black) would have been a better choice. We can't change history, however, now can we?
    edited May 2019
    I know but virology yield binaural riot act and Avacado are right there.. very close
    I couldn't help but notice that you didn't mention No Code. (Please refer to what I mentioned four posts before this one)
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,163
    I have a feeling Ten is just one opinion on a stage in Australia away from being the worst piece of shit ever.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,163
    rummy said:
    Arguably the most overrated song on the album. I remember being surprised when it was released as a single. At the time, I thought Once or Porch (or, obviously, Black) would have been a better choice. We can't change history, however, now can we?
    It was a huge single though. So someone made the right choice. 

I wonder if they could have released pretty much all of the whole album as singles like Metallica did with The Black Album.

Black, Garden, Why Go etc. All strong songs that pop.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited May 2019
    rummy said:
    It was a huge single though. So someone made the right choice. 

I wonder if they could have released pretty much all of the whole album as singles like Metallica did with The Black Album.

Black, Garden, Why Go etc. All strong songs that pop.
    Oh, I'm not denying that it wasn't big. It was indeed huge. I guess it was a case of me having different tastes than the masses which doesn't happen all that often...statistically speaking, I'm pretty "normal/average."
    Post edited by rummy on
    I have a feeling Ten is just one opinion on a stage in Australia away from being the worst piece of shit ever.
    Admittedly, I'm trying to decode this one...
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,462
    rummy said:
    Admittedly, I'm trying to decode this one...
    Oh good, I’m not alone. what are you trying to say, s_c???
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,528
    tusevun said:
    As my 5 year old would say...Seriously!

Ten is by far my favorite PJ album and I think their best.  I rank it in my all-time Top 10 albums ever.  Not a bad song on it.  I got tired of Jeremy when it came out but time has fixed that.  Nothing rocks as hard as Alive!