Ten is Pearl Jam’s best album - do not @ me...

2»

Comments

• Glorified KCGlorified KC Posts: 2,617
    Alive is the flagship of Ten.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    Agreed 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,430
    best vs. your favorite are two different things people. Ten might not be your favorite PJ album but if you don't acknowledge that it's their best based on it being one of the greatest albums of all time then you are either crazy or stubborn.  It's generally considered one of the 10-20 greatest rock albums of all time. so yea of course it's better than Yield, Vitology and No Code.  it's a no brainer. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    edited May 2019
    I probably haven't listened to Ten since.... Ten Redux came out.  Before that, probably since Vs came out.  Good album, but extremely dated in sound.
  • buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    pjhawks said:
    best vs. your favorite are two different things people. Ten might not be your favorite PJ album but if you don't acknowledge that it's their best based on it being one of the greatest albums of all time then you are either crazy or stubborn.  It's generally considered one of the 10-20 greatest rock albums of all time. so yea of course it's better than Yield, Vitology and No Code.  it's a no brainer. 
    What this guy said - and it's awesome on vinyl....
  • rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    PJNB said:
    Agreed 
    I will always love that song - even if I'm disappointed that it signals that the end is near at any given concert.
    I probably haven't listened to Ten since.... Ten Redux came out.  Before that, probably since Vs came out.  Good album, but extremely dated in sound.
    I'm similar (maybe not quite as extreme) but I listen to live compilations of the album multiple times per month (if not week).
    pjhawks said:
    If you think the songwriting is better on Yield, Vitalogy, or No Code, then no, Ten is not obviously better.  Just because some mainstream magazines and polls tell you it's their favorite or best (and this is usually because mainstream magazines & polls seem to think Pearl Jam's entire catalog starts & ends with Ten and only Ten) and that it's what you ("you" understood, not you personally) should like best doesn't mean it has to be.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,430
    pjhawks said:
    If you think the songwriting is better on Yield, Vitalogy, or No Code, then no, Ten is not obviously better.  Just because some mainstream magazines and polls tell you it's their favorite or best (and this is usually because mainstream magazines & polls seem to think Pearl Jam's entire catalog starts & ends with Ten and only Ten) and that it's what you ("you" understood, not you personally) should like best doesn't mean it has to be.
    it's not.

4 rock classics - Alive, Black, Jeremy, Even Flow
    2 Pearl Jam classics - Release, Porch
    2 Pear Jam Greats - Once, Why Go

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,761
    pjhawks said:
    If these are the criteria, then its clearly Vs. 

Less threads of 80's rock, more threads of punk. Production is tighter and more direct (less big sounding, more visceral). More group oriented song writing. If anythign its the real sound of the band from the time as opposed to Ten which was still drawing from the MLB era

4 rock classics: Daughter, Go, Animal, EWBTCIAST
    3 PJ classics: Rearviewmirror, Leash, Indifference
    4 PJ greats: Rats, WMA, blood, Glorified G

and Dissident

If anything Ten gets the recognition because it was part of that wave of Alternative rock that broke through. Vs. cemented them as a real deal thing and not just part of a trend.
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    it's not.

4 rock classics - Alive, Black, Jeremy, Even Flow
    2 Pearl Jam classics - Release, Porch
    2 Pear Jam Greats - Once, Why Go

Opinion != fact
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    How are we leaving Oceans out of the discussion when talking about Ten?
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,462
    PJNB said:
    How are we leaving Oceans out of the discussion when talking about Ten?
    I‘ve got to say I’m partial to Garden and Deep! I really am.
    my point? It’s all subjective... who gets to decide what’s „best“?! Who makes lists with  „the best records of all time“? People. And people have personal opinions. So for me these discussions are always good fun but completely futile 
    edited May 2019
    pjhawks said:
    If these are the criteria, then its clearly Vs. 

Less threads of 80's rock, more threads of punk. Production is tighter and more direct (less big sounding, more visceral). More group oriented song writing. If anythign its the real sound of the band from the time as opposed to Ten which was still drawing from the MLB era

4 rock classics: Daughter, Go, Animal, EWBTCIAST
    3 PJ classics: Rearviewmirror, Leash, Indifference
    4 PJ greats: Rats, WMA, blood, Glorified G

and Dissident

If anything Ten gets the recognition because it was part of that wave of Alternative rock that broke through. Vs. cemented them as a real deal thing and not just part of a trend.
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE "Go" and "Animal" but I'm sure they'd be considered "rock classics" - but "PJ classics," for sure!
    (And for the best studio album, Vs wins for me every time.)
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,540
    rummy said:
    Songs are good. To me it just sounds so dated and thats a major ding against it. In terms of the classic material, at least Vs -> No Code sound more edgy and raw.  More visceral.
    Although I'd go Vs -> Yield instead, I get what you are saying. With this said, I think the songs from Ten still sound great on the many bootlegs...even Even Flow!

Ten was incredible when it came out and is the reason I am in the community but those early hits can be tough to listen to now. Except black, that is pure genius. Some of the early hits just haven't aged well  for me or maybe its that they are simply overplayed.

What makes PJ brilliant is the next layer of songs.  That's what separates them from the competition:

Given to Fly, Faithfull, Immortality, In Hiding, rear view, Ledbetter, Release, Corduroy, present tense

and on and on and on...
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Ten is the best
  • buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    Best does not equal favorite 
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,462
    I just feel like good/bad/best aren’t suitable adjectives to describe art. Ten is certainly their commercially most successful album, probably their most recognizable one for casual fans/ non fans and looking at the time it came out, maybe their historically most significant one. But who’s to say vs or yield or whatever couldn’t have taken that position had they been released in 1992? The rest is personal preference 
    Best does not equal favorite 
    And one person's best != everyone's best