Options

Music Industry/Streaming Services

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited May 2019
    I agree that they could and should charge more for Spotify. I would have no prob with $15 or $20 (The one improvement I would expect if they did that would be the removal of the mysterious and utterly pointless and inexplicable 10,000 song-per-playlist cap they have, including with the main song library. I filled my library limit within a year, and am now on my 3rd "library spillover" playlist. This sucks because I can't shuffle between playlists, so when I want to just shuffle play my library (which is what I do 85% of the time), the selections are limited to whatever library playlist I happen to choose. I want to shuffle all 30,000+++ songs! That is my only complaint as a Spotify user. I know that there is a consumer outcry about this issue on their community pages, and Spotify has only marked it as "a good idea" so far, so they do know the heaviest spotify users want this. Why they won't do it is beyond me, since this would NOT put any increased pressure on their servers or anything like that. All it is is song tagging. It would be a simple coding upgrade. It's so weird. Spotify's only excuse has been that most users never hit 10,000 songs in their song library... which I find surprising. But also irrelevant. Obviously their most dedicated users will indeed easily exceed that limit. Even if we're only 1 - 5% of users, the simplicity of such an upgrade makes their refusal to make the improvement very frustrating. Not the end of world - you can have as many 10,000 song playlists as you want... but only the one actual song library allows you to mark the songs as selected (shows a check mark). Not having that checkmark for all the other songs in the other playlists you build presents some inconvenience.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    Its the majors getting all the money from streaming. 

Jason Isbell said he gets 3 streaming checks per month, one for being the artist, one for being the writer and one for running his label. He said the label one is by far and away the biggest check. So thats why artists aren't getting paid. 
    Well that's between the artists and their label...and that is a battle as old as the industry itself, and can hardly be blamed on the streaming services
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    I certainly want to see artists get paid and will always listen to them on the best way to contribute - I buy physical media, I buy concert tickets, I buy merch.

But I have way too much other shit to worry about than to concern myself with royalty battles. Get better representation? Form advisory non-profits for younger artists? I ain't an agent.

It's like when they used to bitch to fans about record deals. I have no doubt the industry is rife with scumbags. But I've also seen bands completely piss away careers with partying, fighting, lunacy, or all of the above. I imagine it's just a nutty goddamn business from top to bottom. 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    These streaming services have contributed to the decline in music quality and they are not fair to the artist.
    Wait, Do you mean quality of the stream? Or quality of the music? 

Both.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    I certainly want to see artists get paid and will always listen to them on the best way to contribute - I buy physical media, I buy concert tickets, I buy merch.

But I have way too much other shit to worry about than to concern myself with royalty battles. Get better representation? Form advisory non-profits for younger artists? I ain't an agent.

It's like when they used to bitch to fans about record deals. I have no doubt the industry is rife with scumbags. But I've also seen bands completely piss away careers with partying, fighting, lunacy, or all of the above. I imagine it's just a nutty goddamn business from top to bottom. 
    Agreed.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,944
    edited May 2019
    timdwilli said:
    Its the majors getting all the money from streaming. 

Jason Isbell said he gets 3 streaming checks per month, one for being the artist, one for being the writer and one for running his label. He said the label one is by far and away the biggest check. So thats why artists aren't getting paid. 
    Well that's between the artists and their label...and that is a battle as old as the industry itself, and can hardly be blamed on the streaming services
    Well, yeah you can because streaming is the dominant form to consume music so there is less to go around. 
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,944
    These streaming services have contributed to the decline in music quality and they are not fair to the artist.
    Wait, Do you mean quality of the stream? Or quality of the music? 

Both.  
    See I think music quality is better than ever. Tons of great stuff and access to check out whatever you want plus exposure to stuff you would have never checked out. 

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I use apple music and I love it.  Never a problem finding what I want to listen to, with a few exceptions. Blue tooth speakers all over the house. Not the same as playing that Japanese import through the vintage wired system, but its fine for me and the family. I haven't sold my old CDs and speakers, etc., but they are sitting in the closet. 
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,493
    I am a Spotify subscriber and a physical media junkie.  I like Spotify to try out things that I might want to eventually buy on vinyl.  If I only sorta like it then it goes into my Spotify library for occasional listening.  I also use Spotify to listen to live albums and deluxe reissues.  Although sometime I find that these deluxe versions can disappear after a while.  I don't know if it's the artist or the label that removes them.  I used to listen to the New order deluxe versions and then they were gone.  I also has listened to Smashing Pumpkins big B-side/Rarities collection but then it was gone too.  Since I buy most of the main albums I like I don't worry too much when deluxe editions disappear.  But I would never use Spotify as my main source of music.  Too many frustrations with the apps and how things are stored/organized.  And if they went under, I'd lose everything.

I also frequent used CD places and pick up a ton of stuff for $1/CD.  I then add it to my vast collection that I manage with Plex so I have access to it wherever I am. 
  • Options
    I am a Spotify subscriber and a physical media junkie.  I like Spotify to try out things that I might want to eventually buy on vinyl.  If I only sorta like it then it goes into my Spotify library for occasional listening.  I also use Spotify to listen to live albums and deluxe reissues.  Although sometime I find that these deluxe versions can disappear after a while.  I don't know if it's the artist or the label that removes them.  I used to listen to the New order deluxe versions and then they were gone.  I also has listened to Smashing Pumpkins big B-side/Rarities collection but then it was gone too.  Since I buy most of the main albums I like I don't worry too much when deluxe editions disappear.  But I would never use Spotify as my main source of music.  Too many frustrations with the apps and how things are stored/organized.  And if they went under, I'd lose everything.

I also frequent used CD places and pick up a ton of stuff for $1/CD.  I then add it to my vast collection that I manage with Plex so I have access to it wherever I am. 
    For sure. I am a vinyl fiend, but Spotify is absolutely PRICELESS to me when it comes to discovering new music and figuring out what is and isn't worth spending vinyl money on. The ease and frequency at which I now find fantastic new (or new to me) artists because of Spotify never fails to amaze me. It's honestly opened up a whole new world for me in terms of music. I thought YouTube was doing a pretty good job of this before the rise of the music streaming platforms, but I was really only tapping the tip of the iceberg, as it turns out.
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited May 2019
    PJ_Soul said:

For sure. I am a vinyl fiend, but Spotify is absolutely PRICELESS to me when it comes to discovering new music and figuring out what is and isn't worth spending vinyl money on. The ease and frequency at which I now find fantastic new (or new to me) artists because of Spotify never fails to amaze me. It's honestly opened up a whole new world for me in terms of music. I thought YouTube was doing a pretty good job of this before the rise of the music streaming platforms, but I was really only tapping the tip of the iceberg, as it turns out.
    I agree that Spotify is the best music service that I have ever used. I also use it for several hours everyday. They also now show you where your files are so all of your downloaded albums and playlists are saved to your computer and you can copy them to an external hard drive (in my case since there is so much music in my library.} 
    That was my only 'complaint' prior to this, that I would lose all my playlists if I stopped being a Spotify user for whatever reason or it went out of business. But now I can actually own all of my library which is a most excellent improvement. 

I have found that certain songs from an album will go dark on a playlist at times and it usually is when a reissue or a special vinyl of that album is coming out. The songs then are available again in my playlist after however long the period the artist chose for the special sale. I've seen that happen a couple times and it was only for a brief period of time. 

For the amount of enjoyment and new artist discovery that I get from Spotify, the price is a bargain. I don't want them to raise it, but it is a steal. I have the bundle where I pay a dollar more to get Hulu also. 

I don't have a problem with the 10,000 limit because my playlists are genre related so I have never put all of the music in my library into one massive playlist. I have different playlists for different moods and then I have albums and live downloads and the Spotify created playlists - I get 6 along with Release Radar and Discover Weekly. I love it. 

I have crappy Wifi so my only problem is that when there is a lot of Wifi being used by other devices, it can buffer and drop the wifi even when it is available. But it doesn't happen very often and I need to figure out how to get better Wifi as DSL, since I'm trying to get rid of Satellite TV and do not need to add a cable company in its place. 
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    Nancy, you should get yourself a wifi booster. :)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Tell me more.....  :how_interesting:
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    https://www.musicdirect.com/integrated-amp/Musical-Fidelity-M6-Encore-Connect-Streaming-Music-System

I've been looking at things like this.  I can burn all my CD's to them and live stream.  Will be purchasing in the future.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    njnancy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Tell me more.....  :how_interesting:
    Lol. Check out this link - maybe some of these things will help! https://www.netspotapp.com/top-10-ways-to-boost-wifi.html

• Options
    https://www.musicdirect.com/integrated-amp/Musical-Fidelity-M6-Encore-Connect-Streaming-Music-System

I've been looking at things like this.  I can burn all my CD's to them and live stream.  Will be purchasing in the future.
    If you're just looking to rip and stream, the Vault is great. That MF does a bunch more, but just in case your focus is narrower and looking for some value.

https://www.musicdirect.com/network-player/Bluesound-Vault-2i-Digital-Music-Player-Ripper-Storage-Drive
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    pjl44 said:

If you're just looking to rip and stream, the Vault is great. That MF does a bunch more, but just in case your focus is narrower and looking for some value.

https://www.musicdirect.com/network-player/Bluesound-Vault-2i-Digital-Music-Player-Ripper-Storage-Drive
    That's 2T!  That was my complaint about the M6 that it was only 1T.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    pjl44 said:

That's 2T!  That was my complaint about the M6 that it was only 1T.
    My wife's uncle has one and that thing is legit. Again, more functionality with the M6 but it comes down to what you really need it to do.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I've tried them all.  I use Spotify free version mostly.  Still, prefer physical media.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    edited May 2019
    Hi all. I'm jumping on this thread hoping some of you wonderful folk here can help.

Basically I've listened to music on my phone using poweramp for years but my neighbour convinced me to go to spotify(I get premium free through my isp) but I haven't been able to get my pearl jam bootleg collection into it. They're in my local files(through an external hard drive because my pc also died but that's another matter), it's recognising them, I did something or other that took hours but they're not available to be played, it says I need to import them but that's what I thought I did already. I've checked they're mp3 & most of them are. HELP! I've had no PJ boots on my mobile for weeks now. Aaaagh!!
    Post edited by morello on
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    edited May 2019
    the music industry is just fine. i dont worry about them.
    i care about the artists and their world is spinning super fast
    seems to me they are always 1 step behind on being rewarded properly for their contributions(insert spotify etc)
    so bands tour and sell tons of merch to help compensate

as far as quality goes there are massive amounts of amazing free music on the internet
    so much music there is no need to pay to stream for me
    youtube, the band's websites, legal live music torrents all good methods to discover new music for me
    because my plate is already full i don't spend more than 9% of my listening time trying to discover the next big band for me
    when i do find a band. i buy the cds(used and new) and load into itunes
    for a playlist of my faves i have itunes loaded with over 100 cds from my collection

lastly i am not a nutty audiophile. i didn't have the need to buy a pono. no offense to people who did buy 1  :)
    im a ok with mp3s or compressed audio files(youtube etc)
    cds, and albums preferred for me tho
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    morello said:
    Hi all. I'm jumping on this thread hoping some of you wonderful folk here can help.

Basically I've listened to music on my phone using poweramp for years but my neighbour convinced me to go to spotify(I get premium free through my isp) but I haven't been able to get my pearl jam bootleg collection into it. They're in my local files(through an external hard drive because my pc also died but that's another matter), it's recognising them, I did something or other that took hours but they're not available to be played, it says I need to import them but that's what I thought I did already. I've checked they're mp3 & most of them are. HELP! I've had no PJ boots on my mobile for weeks now. Aaaagh!!
    Sorry, I had no clue this was even possible... I would think that even if you can play them on the computer where the files are stored, using Spotify as a regular PC music player, you're not going to be able to actually upload files onto Spotify so that you can access them off of the computer where the files are stored. That would mean that your files would be uploaded to Spotify servers, and I'm almost 100% sure that they don't do that, both because they wouldn't be willing to use up that kind of storage space, and also because of copyright. They wouldn't touch random private music files uploaded by the public, as they would have no idea where the files came from or the legality of how they were acquired.
    Or maybe I completely misunderstanding what you're asking and everything I said isn't even relevant, haha. ;)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    morello said:

Sorry, I had no clue this was even possible... I would think that even if you can play them on the computer where the files are stored, using Spotify as a regular PC music player, you're not going to be able to actually upload files onto Spotify so that you can access them off of the computer where the files are stored. That would mean that your files would be uploaded to Spotify servers, and I'm almost 100% sure that they don't do that, both because they wouldn't be willing to use up that kind of storage space, and also because of copyright. They wouldn't touch random private music files uploaded by the public, as they would have no idea where the files came from or the legality of how they were acquired.
    Or maybe I completely misunderstanding what you're asking and everything I said isn't even relevant, haha. ;)
    Yep, ok, you completely have understood me right & yep, I do totally see what you mean, did think that myself buttttt things seemed to be saying I could do it. Bugger. To have the range of Spotify & my PJ collection is maybe a dream then. :-(
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    It's like, what is the "local files" part of Spotify for if not, well, local files. There's even info in Spotify help about doing it:

Local files
    1. Click in the top-right corner of the app and select Settings.
    2. Scroll down to Local Files.
    3. Any files in My Music and Downloads are automatically selected. Switch off any sources you don't want Spotify to access.
    4. Click ADD A SOURCE to select another folder.
    Apr 9, 2019

Like I said, I did that, imported them, it took hours, as you'd expect, now when I try & play them they're "greyed out" & it puts up a message saying I need to import them, that's in my pc. 
    <hr>
  • Options
    Yeah, I think "local files" always means that those files are on the computer you are using, hence the "local" part. ;)

• Options
    edited May 2019
    morello said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    morello said:

Yep, ok, you completely have understood me right & yep, I do totally see what you mean, did think that myself buttttt things seemed to be saying I could do it. Bugger. To have the range of Spotify & my PJ collection is maybe a dream then. :-(
    Yeah, certainly on your phone.... There is perhaps a way to do what you want with the bootlegs with the dropbox app or something similar? But you'll have to pay for a dropbox subscription (FYI, Pearl Jam actually holds a stake in Dropbox! It's apparently one of their business investments, or according to an article I read a few years ago). 
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    morello said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    morello said:

Yeah, certainly on your phone.... There is perhaps a way to do what you want with the bootlegs with the dropbox app or something similar? But you'll have to pay for a dropbox subscription (FYI, Pearl Jam actually holds a stake in Dropbox! It's apparently one of their business investments, or according to an article I read a few years ago). 
    Ah, ok. What about if I put the PJ boots on the SD card in my phone? Can I do "local files" in the app? Add them to the library, or playlist or something? I have a pretty decent SD card in my phone as that's what I had all my music on when I used to use poweramp.
    <hr>
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    morello said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    morello said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    morello said:

Ah, ok. What about if I put the PJ boots on the SD card in my phone? Can I do "local files" in the app? Add them to the library, or playlist or something? I have a pretty decent SD card in my phone as that's what I had all my music on when I used to use poweramp.
    If you actually download the files to your phone's SD card, then you will be able to play them on whatever music player is factory set on your phone, or on any music player app you want to download. I can't say whether or not that the Spotify app will act like a music player on your phone though, as I've never tried it. But if you ask that question on the Spotify Community boards, you will get an answer. That is a good source for spotify solutions! You will probably also find an answer to that on reddit. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    morello said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    morello said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    morello said:

If you actually download the files to your phone's SD card, then you will be able to play them on whatever music player is factory set on your phone, or on any music player app you want to download. I can't say whether or not that the Spotify app will act like a music player on your phone though, as I've never tried it. But if you ask that question on the Spotify Community boards, you will get an answer. That is a good source for spotify solutions! You will probably also find an answer to that on reddit. :)
    If you have the files downloaded on your phone, they are local files on your phone and you will be able to play them. Your SD card is considered part of your phone's storage in addition to the phone itself, so if you copy the files to the SD card, you are good. You can copy those files onto your phone with a USB cable, if they are on your laptop/PC. And then put them all into a playlist and choose to download the playlist. Then they will be on your phone permanently. And they won't be local files, they will be Pearl Jam boots or whatever you call the playlist. 

You would have to walk around with the external storage connected to the phone in order to play them as local files as they are now. The boots have to be physically on the device that you are using in order to be played. 

Good Luck!

Just for reference - I have 4 playlists which contain about 3000 songs downloaded on my phone and they take up about 5 GB of space, which my phone's temp file cleaner keeps asking to delete. I don't of course.
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    I know I can fit all the PJ boots I have on the sd card in my phone but will I be able to pay then on Spotify, on my phone? I know I can play then through other music players in my phone, like I said, I used to play them + other music off my phone sd card using the poweramp app just wondering about Spotify. I'll give it a go I guess, or yeah try the Spotify forum although that's where I got the info about upload/importing the local files that didn't work. 
    <hr>