Options

Music Industry/Streaming Services

vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,451
Is a complete mess with regards to streaming services as I continue to have classic albums disappear on a daily basis! I have Tidal and have read that it wouldn't matter if I switch to Spotify as the same thing happens to albums there! At this point I feel as though the entire process has to and needs to be rethought cause no one is happy with the current process of acquiring and listening to music! 
ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited May 2019
    vito said:
    Is a complete mess with regards to streaming services as I continue to have classic albums disappear on a daily basis! I have Tidal and have read that it wouldn't matter if I switch to Spotify as the same thing happens to albums there! At this point I feel as though the entire process has to and needs to be rethought cause no one is happy with the current process of acquiring and listening to music! 
    I use Spotify for hours every day, and I haven't noticed this happening at all. And FWIW, I think the $10 I spend on Spotify is by far the best $10 I spend every month. I absolutely love it. It is pretty rare that I find some album isn't available, but when it isn't, it's because the artist has made it unavailable.
    Why are the albums disappearing from Tidal? Do you know? Is it the artists' choice? Or the platforms? Can you give examples of the albums that are disappearing?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Not sure if it's copyright issues, $$$ related or the streaming service in general but, there are many articles about this if you google and actually Spotify is worse than Tidal. I had Spotify and switched to Tidal cause the sound is better but, I had albums disappear on Spotify also.
    Post edited by vito on
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008

• Options
    edited May 2019
    vito said:
    Not sure if it's copyright issues, $$$ related or the streaming service in general but, there are many articles about this if you google and actually Spotify is worse than Tidal. I had Spot
    I don't know what to say. In the 30 - 40 or so hours a week that I spend using Spotify, this has never been an issue that I've come across unless the artist has boycotted the platform or otherwise chosen to limit the availability of their work. That sucks you're experiencing this. Is it just a coincidence that it's happening with so many of the albums you specifically want to listen to?? Or are these particular artists that you're finding it with?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,945
    edited May 2019
    Yeah, I have to say its rare that it doesn't have something that I want, but it has happened. Especially bands that maybe never had US distribution or whos agreement to distribute has run out (looking at you Super Furry Animals).

I still put mp3s on my phone too though. 

What albums have disappeared?

• Options
    edited May 2019
    My biggest beef with the music industry is that they still do 3 month lead up times to release so they basically tease the fane base with 1-3 songs for several months before the album comes out. Just fucking put albums out with no announcement. Or at most 1 month lead time (for retailers).

The old magazine/radio model is bust at this point so stop working it.
  • Options
    My biggest beef with the music industry is that they still do 3 month lead up times to release so they basically tease the fane base with 1-3 songs for several months before the album comes out. Just fucking put albums out with no announcement. Or at most 1 month lead time (for retailers).

The old magazine/radio model is bust at this point so stop working it.
    Agreed. I don't mind the single releases, but you're right, the timing is WAY too spread out. I wish they'd release the first single, give it a week, release a second, and then release the album the week after that. That would be enough time for hype-building, and not enough time for people to first become impatient, and then lose interest.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    The sound quality on Tidal is excellent, but there are definitely some gaps. Amazon Music sounds better to me than Spotify so I use that to supplement. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I just had Sgt, Pepper super deluxe remaster disappear along w/ the blue and red greatest hits Beatles albums disappear. Last week had Tommy super deluxe disappear along w/ The Kids Are Alright and the Tragically Hip's Trouble at the Henhouse and just many other albums, too many to even list. Like I said if you google albums disappearing on streaming services there are many articles about this.
    Post edited by vito on
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008

• Options
    vito said:
    I just had Sgt, Pepper super deluxe remaster disappear along w/ the blue and red greatest hits Beatles albums disappear. Last week had Tommy super deluxe disappear along w/ The Kids Are Alright and the Tragically Hip's Trouble at the Henhouse and just many other albums, too many to even list. Like I said if you google albums disappearing on streaming services there are many articles about this.
    Brutal. Well, I just searched all those on Spotify and they're all available, so for those albums in particular maybe it's a Tidal thing somehow ... I'm sure there are articles if you say there are, but if this issue isn't impacting me in any way on Spotify, I'm not inclined to read the articles....
  • Options

Many albums have disappeared

8d2_-n8tb7jvg
     8d2_-n8tb7jvg 
     Casual Listener

‎2018-06-13 03:30 PM

I have been a premium User since many months. Now I have some particular tastes in music. Can Spotify explain to me why should i co tinue to play them and still cannot get the music i want? For example Deathspell Omega's paracletus is missing .. Not to mention even more popular albums or artists (Ramones, where the **bleep** is Ramonesmania?). ., no this is getting to be a joke... And an ugly one... Hope for an answer or at least i can unsubscribe. Lame! 

10 Replies
    Luke
    Rock Star 15 Luke 
     Rock Star 15

‎2018-06-18 04:38 PM

Hey @8d2_-n8tb7jvg!

Spotify's always working hard to get your favourite tunes. Check out this article for more info on missing content.

Have a nice day!

LK608

LukeRock Star 15
    Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
    If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
    Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
    8d2_-n8tb7jvg
    8d2_-n8tb7jvg 
     Casual Listener

‎2018-06-18 04:42 PM
    My question was and still is whether i am keeping my subscription with Spotify or not, since many of my favs are now missing, whole oreviously i could hear them. So a simple question: are the missing album going to appear again and When? Otherwise i dont see why staying with Spotify.
    Luke
    Rock Star 15 Luke 
     Rock Star 15

HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008

• Options
    1 / 22
    Jan 2018

Not a Roon issue, has anyone else noticed that albums are disappearing from Tidal. I found 2 today in my favourites that are no longer available, Macy Gray “Stripped” and Zero7 “Simple Things”

• created

Jan '18
    • last reply

Jan 8

replies

views

users

link

joelRoon Labs: Developer

Yes. I found 61 out of approx. 700 of my UK TIDAL favourites have silently had their playback rights removed. It was painfully slow going through them all in TIDAL’s app to find them (no hover-over play button) and replace them.

Intriguingly and annoyingly, I was able to replace the vast majority of removed albums with like-for-like equivalents, which suggests that TIDAL has been doing some housekeeping which involves deprecating certain IDs and replacing them with new ones.

2 Replies

That may explain why my Alison Moorer album disappeared a couple of times. (Note I said ‘My’ even though I don’t own it).

This also happened a lot on Deezer. When I asked them why they replied it is indeed cleaning up file id’s/country rights. The album can be found back via search, but unfortunatly you’ll have to do it manually. Pretty annoying indeed. Sometimes albums dissapear for a longer period because of this and sometimes the albums are simply withdrawn by the artist, to bad there is no way of knowing for us.

HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008

• Options
    edited May 2019
    The above is just a few examples and there are many more, like I said this streaming thing is not the answer for the artist or the listener. As the technoligy has improved the industry has been destroyed! I can only imagine what it must be like to be a new artist in a broken industry?!
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008

• Options
    Maybe it's time to pretend it's 1980 again and buy a turntable and start up my vinyl collection again?
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I dunno, like I said, I absolutely love Spotify and I have no complaints about music availability on it as a very heavy user, so obviously it is indeed the answer for at least some listeners. I'm sorry you're unhappy with it though. And yes, of course I do want the industry to always try and make things as sustainable as possible for the artists, and I know that is an issue.... Not that there aren't some benefits to the artists as well, obviously, or else they wouldn't have their music on there. But yeah, I am well aware of the probs in terms of them making a living with the music streaming industry being the way it currently is. Now, the old industry was bullshit too TBH, in other ways, and expecting physical media to continue to exist as a major money maker just isn't realistic ... I'm hoping for new developments that stand apart from the past altogether.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    That's a bummer. I use Google Play, but that's soon to be defunct and I haven't found a comparison I like as much, especially since I got in during the initial trial for $8/mo and have had that rate since their inception. I like Tidal, but it's too spendy and lacks the catalog size of others. Spotify sound quality isn't great, but it may be my only option unless YouTube music is somehow decent and they transfer me over from Google Play with my already uploaded music library.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    I don't think the industry is broken. I think big technological advances are causing growing pains and some aspects are really fluid. As a consumer I'm mostly happy. Most of my gripes are on me. I need to do a better job of organizing music within the services; I need to figure out how to better manage my digital and physical libraries. One thing that kills me is I converted my collection to digital a decade or so ago and sold back most of my cds. 100% regret that decision. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    pjl44 said:
    I don't think the industry is broken. I think big technological advances are causing growing pains and some aspects are really fluid. As a consumer I'm mostly happy. Most of my gripes are on me. I need to do a better job of organizing music within the services; I need to figure out how to better manage my digital and physical libraries. One thing that kills me is I converted my collection to digital a decade or so ago and sold back most of my cds. 100% regret that decision. 
    Lol, I threw out every single CD case and put all the discs in CD albums or whatever you call them. HUGE regret. It never occurred to me that I might want to actually send them off to the secondary market someday. Now I really can't!
  • Options
    It's broken in every single way!
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008

• Options
    Well I have basically 3 different historical entities of recorded music...Album, CD and now this crappy streaming!
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008

• Options
    vito said:
    Well I have basically 3 different historical entities of recorded music...Album, CD and now this crappy streaming!
    I only listen to vinyl at home. But when I'm out of my home, at work or just walking around going about my business, streaming is an absolute Godsend!! It is SO much easier than building up my own mp3 library like I used to for my mp3 player. OMG, that took up so much of my time, it was ridiculous. I was more than willing to do that when I had no other option, but now that I don't have to do it and can just call up anything I want and listen to any number of my 10,000 song playlists and my Spotify-curated-for-me playlists, I really can't imagine going back to doing it how I did in the past. That would SUCK.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    It's convenience is just a masking way of saying how lazy this last generation is! None of it was thought out for the endgame and the consequences they would have. The I need it now generation is nothing more than the laziest generation the world has ever known. Is the sound quality better through streaming services? As NY has stated it is horrific and the listener is getting maybe 20% of the actual recorded sound! The mucic industry is not better and streaming music is not the answer for anyone involved. Sorry I digressed, lol.
    Post edited by vito on
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008

• Options
    edited May 2019
    vito said:
    It's convenience is just a masking way of saying how lazy this last generation is! And just like the Internet and Facebook Streaming Services and all this other modern technoligy has ruined the modern world and done more damage than actual good. None of it was thought out for the endgame and the consequences they would cause. The I need it now generaqtion is nothing more than the laziest generation the world has ever known. Sorry I digressed, lol.
    WOW. :lol:

FWIW, there are LOTS of amazingly non-lazy Millenials and Gen Zs. They are no worse than the generations that preceded them, and in some ways they are arguably better. I really find this kind of attack on younger people a disagreeable attitude exuded by all people who are getting old and more resistant to change, and every generation has its share of aging people who adopt this kind of opinion about the younger generations (I am a Gen Xer who works with and is friends with these younger folks, and they are awesome). In any case, hell yes, I want to be able to listen to music seamlessly while I'm out and about, without having to spend hours of my time on gathering it together, and without dragging physical media around with me, and it's not because I'm lazy, lol!
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    pjl44 said:
    Ditto on my CD collection. Sold them all at garage sales and to a Pawn Shop. That was back when you could get $3 - $5 per CD at the Pawn Shop and $8 at garage sales. I doubt they pay that anymore. I got lots of compliments on the music selection. I retained about 50 of my original amount. Had to keep essentials like PJ, RATM, Soundgarden, AIC, Metallica, Tool, Led Zep and The Beatles.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjl44 said:
    Lol, I threw out every single CD case and put all the discs in CD albums or whatever you call them. HUGE regret. It never occurred to me that I might want to actually send the off to the secondary market someday. Now I really can't!
    Yeah, some are semi-valuable. And some of it flat out doesn't exist on any streaming service. Thankfully I have all the mp3s but, like you're saying, I'll need to transfer all of that to some device to listen on the go. It would be so much easier if I just liked Top 40 radio!
  • Options
    vito said:
    It's convenience is just a masking way of saying how lazy this last generation is! None of it was thought out for the endgame and the consequences they would have. The I need it now generation is nothing more than the laziest generation the world has ever known. Is the sound quality better through streaming services? As NY has stated it is horrific and the listener is getting maybe 20% of the actual recorded sound! The mucic industry is not better and streaming music is not the answer for anyone involved. Sorry I digressed, lol.
    Ha! Unfortunately you can't stop progress, man. As a stickler for sound quality, there is definitely more work involved. But I'm optimistic for the future. Like PJ_Soul is saying, having that volume of music available on demand is a big step forward.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    These streaming services have contributed to the decline in music quality and they are not fair to the artist.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    They are definitely not fair to the artist getting paid, but I don’t think there has been any decline in music quality. 
  • Options
    timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    The artists definitely deserve more, but there are two sides to that story. Spotify has only just become profitable in the last couple quarters...it costs a lot of money to run these platforms! They weren't going to pay the artists more only to go further into the red themselves. To @PJ_Soul 's point, $10 per month is a steal for this kind of access. They could double the price and most people would still see the value and cancellations would be minimal, leaving a larger pie for everyone (especially artists) to get a piece of. Additionally, it is free advertising for many small artists...I have so much stuff on my phone that I would never even listen to if it wasn't *free* and I'm sure most users would say the same. And this, in turn, leads to people going to shows, buying merch, etc.
  • Options
    Its the majors getting all the money from streaming. 

Jason Isbell said he gets 3 streaming checks per month, one for being the artist, one for being the writer and one for running his label. He said the label one is by far and away the biggest check. So thats why artists aren't getting paid. 
  • Options
    These streaming services have contributed to the decline in music quality and they are not fair to the artist.
    Wait, Do you mean quality of the stream? Or quality of the music?