Matt Cameron's jazz CD - Harrybu McCage

Comments

• Options
    crjb1978crjb1978 Posts: 54
    i hate it when they force feed us.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,385
    *bought. :)

love that jazz feel. i'm a huge seatbelts fan. great to check this stuff out, pj releated. :)
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    i was touring when this first got stickied but when i returned from my shows and saw this...ordered it right away! didn't even give a listen to the sneak peek, i want to be surprised! i am a huge jazz lover, as is my husband....obviously love pearl jam and quite a fan of cameron's drumming, so truly looking forward to hearing what he has to offer on the jazz side of things.......:)

can't wait to get my disc!
    and sure, my bootlegs too. ;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    rtwilli4rtwilli4 Posts: 261
    it's a very strong thing to say that one musician is a prodigy over another, (esp. in pearl jam's case), a fault I see in alot of musicians these days is that they are stuck on how good someone's chop's are. and dont stop to think of the effort in writing for others, having a unique sound, how to play a chord beautifully and at the same time make it your own. some things to think about.... matt cameron is no prodigy compared to Eddie's songwriting, or Jeff's solidity, or stone's fine guitar playing, or mike's energy and speed on the guitar. just some examples ofcourse... .anyone else?

I'm not going to try and compare a drummer to a lead guitarist to another guitarists to a bassist to a singer/songwriter... but Matt is SICK. I always loved Pearl Jam but after Yield there was a noticeable difference in the energy and speed of the entire band. My first show was in '98 on the Yield tour. As we all know, Irons was on the Yield record and Matt played the tour. Before that show I was actually kind of disappointed with even the hardest rocking songs on that CD (Evolution, Brain of J) but when I heard Matt play them live I flipped out and ended up crowd surfing all over the place (I was 14, got lost from my aunt and uncle and g/f and have been addicted ever since). Eddie reminds us all the time... Matt Cameron classes up this band... he runs the show up there. Now that we get all of these bootlegs, I can't even listed to Abbruzzese or even Irons anymore. In my honest opinion, the Chili Peppers were better without Irons as well.

The band would not be the same if any of the five members were not in it. But while Eddie is a brilliant song writer and touches me with every word, a Pearl Jam show would be a much different thing to me without Matt Cameron.

And to the person who was hoping that this settled the "argument" over who the best Pearl Jam drummer is... there should NEVER have been one in the first place. Just listen to ANY bootleg from the three drummers... Cameron blows the other two away. Not to mention the fact that he does back up vocals, writes, and had played with like 9 different bands.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    rtwilli4 wrote:
    I'm not going to try and compare a drummer to a lead guitarist to another guitarists to a bassist to a singer/songwriter... but Matt is SICK. I always loved Pearl Jam but after Yield there was a noticeable difference in the energy and speed of the entire band. My first show was in '98 on the Yield tour. As we all know, Irons was on the Yield record and Matt played the tour. Before that show I was actually kind of disappointed with even the hardest rocking songs on that CD (Evolution, Brain of J) but when I heard Matt play them live I flipped out and ended up crowd surfing all over the place (I was 14, got lost from my aunt and uncle and g/f and have been addicted ever since). Eddie reminds us all the time... Matt Cameron classes up this band... he runs the show up there. Now that we get all of these bootlegs, I can't even listed to Abbruzzese or even Irons anymore. In my honest opinion, the Chili Peppers were better without Irons as well.

The band would not be the same if any of the five members were not in it. But while Eddie is a brilliant song writer and touches me with every word, a Pearl Jam show would be a much different thing to me without Matt Cameron.

And to the person who was hoping that this settled the "argument" over who the best Pearl Jam drummer is... there should NEVER have been one in the first place. Just listen to ANY bootleg from the three drummers... Cameron blows the other two away. Not to mention the fact that he does back up vocals, writes, and had played with like 9 different bands.

You NAILED it. Matt is the best BAR NONE. Anyone can drum for a band, try finding one that sings, plays guitar and contributes as well, plays in a backup band where hes the singer and songwriter(WWC), AND is in a jazz band....a fucking jazz band.

and anyone who denies it, listen the fucking bonnaroo boot. His drumming in it is ABSOLUTELY incredible. The ending of AALTWT is fucking sick.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,385
    can't wait to get my disc!
    and sure, my bootlegs too. ;)

same here. i bought it with set 3 of my '08 bootleg order.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj29/demetriosns/shows8-14.jpg
  • Options
    Just got the CD in the mail today. Never really listened to Jazz before, but bought the CD strictly because of Matt... and it's fantastic.

I definitely recommend this CD!!
    6/14/08 - Bonnaroo
    6/19/08 - Camden 1
    6/24/08 - MSG 1
    8/07/08 - Newark, EV Solo
    6/11/09 - Upper Darby, EV Solo
    10/28/09 - Spectrum 2
    10/30/09 - Spectrum 3
    10/31/09 - Spectrum 4
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,260
    Awesome disc!
    Matt really shines.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    Just got the CD in the mail today. Never really listened to Jazz before, but bought the CD strictly because of Matt... and it's fantastic.

I definitely recommend this CD!!

got it yesterday as well, but no time to listen. probably tonight over dinner. :) i love jazz....love matt.....so sure to be win-win! happy to read all the positive comments, even from non-jazz lovers.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,877
    nice record

here is my guess on the name:

the guys in the group are Geoff Harper
    Ryan Burns
    Matt Cameron

take the first letters of all their names and last names minus Matt and you get:

HARper
    RYan
    BUrns
    MAtt
    CAmeron
    GEoff

HARRYBU MACAGE

don't ask how I figured it out, I seriously looked in the liner notes and immediately that came into my head
  • Options
    walkthamilewalkthamile Posts: 349
    After witnessing what this guy (Matt Cameron) is capable of...it's quite easy to see who the real brains behind Soundgarden was.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    After witnessing what this guy (Matt Cameron) is capable of...it's quite easy to see who the real brains behind Soundgarden was.
    Definitely. The drums are one thing (JCP, Nazi Driver, Gun etc) but his songwriting was amazing too (Fresh Tendrils, Room a Thousand Years Wide, Mailman etc). And then there's Wellwater Conspiracy where you can tell that he can write really catchy rock/pop, psychadelic stuff aswell.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,260
    Matt is simply incredible!

He is the backbone and the life to PJ.
  • Options
    celebrationcelebration Posts: 318
    i ordered this and am waiting for it to arrive. i think it's gonna be a good listen cause um well i dig matt's drumming, and ummm jazz!

it will be a good chance to hear how matt does outside rocknroll. i'm excited about this release cause it's different.

i've listened to, and seen a lot of jazz. jazz music is for everyone.

good on you matt!
    ########################
    Celebration, the ball's in play
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Decided to order after seeing Harrybu McCage live three times, in Seattle and twice at The Roo. Just got my cd in the mail Saturday. I love it. Great change of pace. I do wish they'd put their kick ass version of "Highway Star" on the cd, but that would've been a cherry on top. " Monk's Mood" and "Rhodes Jam" are my faves at this point.

I'd love to see Harrybu McCage playing a club like Zanzibar Blue in Philly.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    EBowieEBowie Posts: 529
    I just got this in the mail yesterday. Anyone who is on the fence about ordering this should absolutely go for it. Matt's drumming is jaw-dropping here folks...what a talent.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,021
    Blind3 wrote:
    Decided to order after seeing Harrybu McCage live three times, in Seattle and twice at The Roo. Just got my cd in the mail Saturday. I love it. Great change of pace. I do wish they'd put their kick ass version of "Highway Star" on the cd, but that would've been a cherry on top. " Monk's Mood" and "Rhodes Jam" are my faves at this point.

I'd love to see Harrybu McCage playing a club like Zanzibar Blue in Philly.
    hey, I stood next to you at the 2nd Roo performance.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,844
    Did anyone catch him at the Sonic Stage at Roo? Really intimate performance, and they sounded dead on. (Plus it was kinda sweet bein feet away from a master of the drums).
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    I just ordered this cd along with the hartford cd. I cant wait till I get it in the mail.
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    CupofjoeCupofjoe Posts: 557
    I gotta pick it up....
  • Options
    Did anyone catch him at the Sonic Stage at Roo? Really intimate performance, and they sounded dead on. (Plus it was kinda sweet bein feet away from a master of the drums).
    that's how it was at the New Orleans stage- $5 for a very intimate show and it had AC :)

Best $5 I EVER spent :)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    Im just wondering, is this just an instrumental CD? I hope so, unless matt sings.
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Im just wondering, is this just an instrumental CD? I hope so, unless matt sings.
    their live show was all instrumental
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    good. Im not too big on singing with jazz music.
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    good. Im not too big on singing with jazz music.
    if it's anything like their live show- which I'm sure it is- you'll like it
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    nice record

Ryan Burns
    Matt Cameron

take the first letters of all their names and last names minus Matt and you get:

HARper
    RYan
    BUrns
    MAtt
    CAmeron
    GEoff

HARRYBU MACAGE add the C inthere from who knows where and you have it

don't ask how I figured it out, I seriously looked in the liner notes and immedaitely that came into my head

NICELY DONE!
    I bought the record at a local record store - I totally dig it. (Or as Mitch Hedberg would say, I "all encompassinlgy" dig it!)
    :)
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    LukinFan wrote:
    that's how it was at the New Orleans stage- $5 for a very intimate show and it had AC :)

Best $5 I EVER spent :)

AC Slater was there?!!?! AWESOME!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    I got my cd in the mail yesterday but didnt get to listen to all of it until today. I must say its a pretty damn good CD. It has a great mixture of slow relaxing songs to striaght up funky rock songs. The last song "alice in my fantasies" is a perfect example. That song is pure funky/psychadelic rock. But every song is good, even the slow "ask me now"

Keep in mind though, none of these songs are written by the band members (except "rhodes jam") these are all covers.

This CD also gives me further proof that Matt Cameron is a fucking genius. Not only is his drumming superb, but the one song that was written by a band member, was written by Matt. Rhodes Jam is more of a rock song, but it is freakin great. The beat is awesome, and the ending drum fills are probably the best I've heard from Matt. One thing I noticed, which further proves the point that Matt is the most talented drummer on earth (dead serious) is that this CD has no record label. Gee........I wonder who produced it then??????? lets see............MATT CAMERON. God, is there anything he CANT do????!?!?!??!!?

If you look on the bottom right of the cover (opened up) It says "Produced by Matt Cameron". Also, the layout was done by klausen and matt as well.

edit: and I love the comment on the first page. "looks like someone needs a lesson on how to record matts drums properly" Apparently matt recorded those drums if he produced it right?
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    allstar340allstar340 NYC Posts: 804
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    nice record

Ryan Burns
    Matt Cameron

HARper
    RYan
    BUrns
    MAtt
    CAmeron
    GEoff

HARRYBU MACAGE add the C inthere from who knows where and you have it

don't ask how I figured it out, I seriously looked in the liner notes and immedaitely that came into my head
    *bows down*
    Were not worthy of your amazing skills.....

ina all seriousness though, that was impressive to figure that one out.
    08 -MSG I.eV Newark.Stone in BK. 09 -Spectrum II,III,IV. 10- Prudential Center.MSG I,II. Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 11- eV NY I, II. Bridge School Benefit Night II (eV solo). 12- Made in America Festival. 13- Oakland. 14- Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 17- eV Ohana. 18- Seattle I, II. 21- SHN. 22- ev & Earthlings Beacon, MSG, Camden. 23- eV & Earthlings Ohana. 24 - MSG I, II
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)