Poll--The Weakest Link: Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon' Round 1

Comments

• Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Speak To Me
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Horos said:
    Fun fact: I knew half the songs but never heard the full album until I bought the Pulse CD where it’s presented live in its entirety. To this day, the only Pink Floyd albums I have are Pulse, The Wall, Division Bell, & Momentary Lapse. Should probably at least pick up Dark Side & WYWH.
    Get Animals(my fave) and Meddle too.
    Just listened to previews and I could get into them.  Really dig the sound of Fearless.  I'll have to do some crate digging in the near future.
    “Fearless” is probably my favorite non-Syd Floyd song.

PJ totally ripped it off for “Who You Are.”
    Hmm, care to expand on that thought as I don't hear any similarity between the two at all?

I ended up going thru the entire catalog.  I doubt I could really get into anything before Meddle except Piper.  There's a song here or there, but for the most part albums 2-5 are a bit too mindless for me.  Post-Meddle, the only thing I'm on the fence about is The Final Cut, I could probably get into it but it really seems too much like an abridged version of The Wall.  And I like The Wall, but it's a big enough adventure on its own that I don't know if I need more of it.

I read that Syd was only on the first two albums, with only "Jugband Blues" on the 2nd one?  If that's the case, I do actually dig his stuff. It was definitely a completely different band with him.
    That scale outro in “Who You Are,” with the slow tom roll into the crash, is a motif that runs throughout “Fearless.”

For another (perhaps more clear) homage, listen to this. 

https://youtu.be/KiXwUS9FFgc
    Sounds like a Screaming Trees song.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Speak To Me
    brianlux said:
    DewieCox said:
    brianlux said:
    All these years I still wonder how on earth "Money" got so much air play.  If I never hear that song again... 

...but right now I have to go put on something to chase that ear worn back down into it's hole.
    One of the greatest bass lines ever, kickass sax solo, relateable lyrics. 

As far as Floyd recommendations go, Saucerful of Secrets through to The Wall are all pretty essential if you dig the classic lineup.
    Pink Floyd is a weird band for me.  I like the parts but not the whole.  Other than on a kind of academic level, I've never liked any of their albums enough to keep them.  They're interesting albums, the band put a lot of work into them.  It doesn't mean I think there's anything wrong with them- they just don't resonate with me. 
    I get what you mean. I am definitely much more of a fan of the Gilmour led era, which is only the last 2 albums. (Endless River technically makes 3, but all that stuff came from the Division Bell sessions and was basically a tribute to Richard Wright).  When I was younger, I had a hard time getting into anything else.  It was all too stoner-y and acid trippy and I just wasn't into that.  I can go back now and appeciate it more for the music but as mentioned in my other post, much of the early stuff is still a bit too mindless for me.  For the time being, I still maintain that The Division Bell is the best album. (And I'll now run for cover from all the tomatoes being thrown at me. :lol: )
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,636
    On The Run

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    On The Run

RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,261
    Speak To Me
    brianlux said:
    One thing for sure, some weird and crazy shit happened back when that album came out.  Oh the stories!
    Speaking of weird and crazy shit, what happened to your avatar Brian? You lost your sense of gravity!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394

Awesome album choice! Here's my "Time" themed tattoo. 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Speak To Me
    I am not much of a Floyd fan beyond the most commonly known songs, but this round is conveniently easy because of Speak not really being a song. To vote for anything else this round seems weird and on the level of leaving Red Dot in the running after round 1 of Yield.

Money may have been and is overplayed, but it is still a great song. No way it should go out this early if people could suspend their annoyance with radio overplay. It still won't pass the other 3 greats on this album for me.

Brain Damage and Breathe are tremendous and Time is one of my favorite songs.
    Post edited by tbergs on
  • Options
    Speak To Me
    mcgruff10 said:
    I despise the song money. Ugh 
    Dear Gawd Scruffy.

Leave it to you for the first crappy vote. The song is iconic. It’s not the best on this album, but it’s not the worst either.
    Hmmm, says the guy who voted for Eclipse, which is basically the epic ending of Brain Damage, round 1. At least it has musical instruments and vocals, unlike Speak. You crazy yo!
  • Options
    Speak To Me
    tbergs said:
    I am not much of a Floyd fan beyond the most commonly known songs, but this round is conveniently easy because of Speak not really being a song. To vote for anything else this round seems weird and on the level of leaving Red Dot in the running after round 1 of Yield.

Money may have been and is overplayed, but it is still a great song. No way it should go out this early if people could suspend their annoyance with radio overplay. It still won't pass the other 3 greats on this album for me.

I agree. Kind of a silly reason to vote something as weakest.  Money is not weaker than a 1 minute intro of random sounds. Come on!
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Speak To Me
    tbergs said:

Completely agree with that. I mentioned that the in the Led Zep poll when the cool kids kept voting for Stairway as the weakest song, even early on. Clearly it was because of "overplay", but it isn't a weak song. Money may not be the greatest song (and it isn't), but as you say, it certainly isn't weaker than Speak by any measure that I can imagine.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    On The Run
    ^ you’re questioning people’s opinions?

I’m not cool, but I would listen to every other song on IV before I put on stairway, therefore it’s my weakest, which is what we’re doing here, right?
    Post edited by ed243421 on
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,655
    Speak To Me
    jeffbr said:
    tbergs said:

Completely agree with that. I mentioned that the in the Led Zep poll when the cool kids kept voting for Stairway as the weakest song, even early on. Clearly it was because of "overplay", but it isn't a weak song. Money may not be the greatest song (and it isn't), but as you say, it certainly isn't weaker than Speak by any measure that I can imagine.
    At least with that one, though, there wasn't a non-song to vote for instead, lol. Every song on Led Zep IV was a whole actual song, so it was legit if someone selected Stairway to Heaven before some other song if they felt like it. Saying Money (or anything) is worse than Speak to Me just makes no logical sense IMHO. How could anyone actually hate Money so much they think it's worse than 1 minute of noises?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,699
    I’ve never viewed “dark side” as a collection of individual songs, but as a complete work. This is album is in my top five most listened to albums ever. Listen to the whole thing on Thursday. There are no weak spots in this album. All the parts make it work.  My vote was more, or less, a closed-eye dartboard throw. 
    Completely agree.  I didn't realize there was more than one song. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,699
    Has anyone ever listened to the official 5.1 bluray release? As great as the vinyl is,  listening to it in true surround,  mixed for that format,  is mind blowing. 

I'm happy to share the .iso file for anyone as I believe it's out of print.  If it's not,  then I won't. 
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Speak To Me
    derbydave said:
    I'm out this one...
    I'm good until Wish You Were Here...
    not a weak link on that record.
    I've never listened to this album.  Just wasn't my thing...
    ??????????????
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Speak To Me
    Anybody that votes for Time sucks, luckily nobody has yet lol
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,748
    edited April 2019
    Us And Them
    Obviously Speak To Me has no chance of surviving this round, so I went with Us and Them. Was never a fan. And that's in spite of the fact that I think it's a good song. But it just doesn't do it for me. 

Part of me thinks Brain Damage and Eclipse should be linked together here, but then again, I like Eclipse way more than Brain Damage so I would vote them as two different songs in a poll like this.

But Eclipse did stand on it's own one time. Remember when it closed the opening ceremonies of the Olympics in London? Fantastic...

https://youtu.be/WS2Xw1xr7o4
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,748
    edited April 2019
    Us And Them
    No clue why the youtube link and not the video posted there. But oh well...
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Eclipse
    my2hands said:
    First guy who does wears the 10C dunce cap for two days.

I’ll see about a fitting for Scruffy’s fat head. Should probably make preparations right now.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Eclipse
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I despise the song money. Ugh 
    Dear Gawd Scruffy.

Leave it to you for the first crappy vote. The song is iconic. It’s not the best on this album, but it’s not the worst either.
    Hmmm, says the guy who voted for Eclipse, which is basically the epic ending of Brain Damage, round 1. At least it has musical instruments and vocals, unlike Speak. You crazy yo!
    Yah I think I voted poorly upon reflection. I’ll up my game from here on out though so don’t worry.

It was a bit of a mindbend coming off Bon Jovi to this though. An evil Jedi mind trick in reality. Not cool.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,933
    Money
    my2hands said:

I’ll see about a fitting for Scruffy’s fat head. Should probably make preparations right now.
    Says the guy who voted for eclipse. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Eclipse
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:

I'm a gawddamn idiot.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,933
    Money
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:

I'm a gawddamn idiot.
    Lol. I very much respect people who own up to their mistakes. Nice work.  
    What the hell happened to Gonzaga?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,773
    Money
    tbergs said:
    brianlux said:
    One thing for sure, some weird and crazy shit happened back when that album came out.  Oh the stories!
    Speaking of weird and crazy shit, what happened to your avatar Brian? You lost your sense of gravity!
    I flipped out!  Now I'm busted.

(April fools!)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Eclipse
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:

I'm a gawddamn idiot.
    Lol. I very much respect people who own up to their mistakes. Nice work.  
    What the hell happened to Gonzaga?
    That was rough.
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    edited April 2019
    Speak To Me
    And somebody just cast the first vote for the musical perfection that is Great Gig in the Sky lol. 🧐

Post edited by SmallestOceans on
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    Speak To Me
    I could barely make the first choice.
    This poll may be too much.
    Every song is so perfectly placed along the journey of this album.
    I feel sick already.
  • Options
    Speak To Me
    I'm gonna go ahead and be the guy that says it, cuz why not... anyone ever do The Wizard of Oz thing?
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,390
    Speak To Me
    ed243421 said:
    ^ you’re questioning people’s opinions?

I’m not cool, but I would listen to every other song on IV before I put on stairway, therefore it’s my weakest, which is what we’re doing here, right?
    See the source image
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Money
    I'm gonna go ahead and be the guy that says it, cuz why not... anyone ever do The Wizard of Oz thing?
    No, I can’t stand anything about The Wizard of Oz. Floyd can’t save that mess.

But I’ve done this thing!

https://youtu.be/OZPTW32muVs

I SAW PEARL JAM
This discussion has been closed.