Options

Poll--The Weakest Link: Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon' Round 1

Comments

• Options
    Eclipse
    I’ve never viewed “dark side” as a collection of individual songs, but as a complete work. This is album is in my top five most listened to albums ever. Listen to the whole thing on Thursday. There are no weak spots in this album. All the parts make it work.  My vote was more, or less, a closed-eye dartboard throw. 
    I agree with your analysis of the album.

I think you’re not very good at darts though. Us and Them is pretty awesome. I dunno. I get it. What song to pick? As the shittiest? A challenge.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    edited March 2019
    Speak To Me
    Has anyone heard The Travel Sequence? I have it on some bootlegs it was replaced by On the Run.
    I'll try to post it here but I'm not to good at it.
    https://youtu.be/wL240dhTaIc
    #FHP
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Speak To Me
    Fun fact: I knew half the songs but never heard the full album until I bought the Pulse CD where it’s presented live in its entirety. To this day, the only Pink Floyd albums I have are Pulse, The Wall, Division Bell, & Momentary Lapse. Should probably at least pick up Dark Side & WYWH.
  • Options
    Speak To Me
    Horos said:
    Has anyone heard The Travel Sequence? I have it on some bootlegs it was replaced by On the Run.
    That’s pretty kickass!
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    Us And Them
    I’ve never viewed “dark side” as a collection of individual songs, but as a complete work. This is album is in my top five most listened to albums ever. Listen to the whole thing on Thursday. There are no weak spots in this album. All the parts make it work.  My vote was more, or less, a closed-eye dartboard throw. 
    I agree with your analysis of the album.

I think you’re not very good at darts though. Us and Them is pretty awesome. I dunno. I get it. What song to pick? As the shittiest? A challenge.
    I’m usually much better at darts after 5-8 beers. Any less, or any more, I’m pretty horseshit. 
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Speak To Me
    Fun fact: I knew half the songs but never heard the full album until I bought the Pulse CD where it’s presented live in its entirety. To this day, the only Pink Floyd albums I have are Pulse, The Wall, Division Bell, & Momentary Lapse. Should probably at least pick up Dark Side & WYWH.
    Get Animals(my fave) and Meddle too.
    #FHP
  • Options
    Eclipse

Wow Dyer.

Get busy dude! And a big yes to Animals suggestion. Outstanding all of them. So glad to have lived during this era.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    Money

Wow Dyer.

Get busy dude! And a big yes to Animals suggestion. Outstanding all of them. So glad to have lived during this era.
    Dark side must have a lot of meaning to you since it came out your  senior year of high school.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Speak To Me
    If it’s a concept album..what’s the f’n concept? Lol
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Money
    Horos said:
    Animals is probably #2 for me after Wish You Were Here...
    but this tour was the first time I saw Pink Floyd!!
    For the first set they played all of Animals,
    not in order though...
    they opened with Sheep.
    For their second set,
    they played all of Wish You Were Here in order.
    Then came back for one final song in the encore,
    and closed the show with Money.
    That show is still in my Top 25!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,790
    Money
    Saw les claypool frog brigade.play all animals start to finish. Good times.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Money
    Horos said:
    That’s pretty kickass!
    Absolutely. But “On the Run” fits the tone of the album a lot better. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Speak To Me
    I love how this poll makes me to listen to the full album before formulating an opinion. Haven't heard this entire album in 20 plus years so I'll check back later...
  • Options
    Speak To Me
    Horos said:
    Just listened to previews and I could get into them.  Really dig the sound of Fearless.  I'll have to do some crate digging in the near future.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    Money
    All these years I still wonder how on earth "Money" got so much air play.  If I never hear that song again... 

...but right now I have to go put on something to chase that ear worn back down into it's hole.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Money
    Horos said:
    Just listened to previews and I could get into them.  Really dig the sound of Fearless.  I'll have to do some crate digging in the near future.
    “Fearless” is probably my favorite non-Syd Floyd song.

PJ totally ripped it off for “Who You Are.”
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,039
    Speak To Me
    Loujoe said:
    Saw les claypool frog brigade.play all animals start to finish. Good times.
    Lucky bastard!  I have the audio of this, good stuff!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,281
    Easiest decision yet... time to sit one out.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    On The Run
    brianlux said:
    All these years I still wonder how on earth "Money" got so much air play.  If I never hear that song again... 

...but right now I have to go put on something to chase that ear worn back down into it's hole.
    One of the greatest bass lines ever, kickass sax solo, relateable lyrics. 

As far as Floyd recommendations go, Saucerful of Secrets through to The Wall are all pretty essential if you dig the classic lineup.

• Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    Any Colour You Like
    It's so hard to rate a concept album by track.  I'm very curious to see what ends up coming out on top in the end.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Speak To Me
    dankind said:
    Horos said:

Hmm, care to expand on that thought as I don't hear any similarity between the two at all?

I ended up going thru the entire catalog.  I doubt I could really get into anything before Meddle except Piper.  There's a song here or there, but for the most part albums 2-5 are a bit too mindless for me.  Post-Meddle, the only thing I'm on the fence about is The Final Cut, I could probably get into it but it really seems too much like an abridged version of The Wall.  And I like The Wall, but it's a big enough adventure on its own that I don't know if I need more of it.

I read that Syd was only on the first two albums, with only "Jugband Blues" on the 2nd one?  If that's the case, I do actually dig his stuff. It was definitely a completely different band with him.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Money
    dankind said:
    Horos said:

Hmm, care to expand on that thought as I don't hear any similarity between the two at all?

I ended up going thru the entire catalog.  I doubt I could really get into anything before Meddle except Piper.  There's a song here or there, but for the most part albums 2-5 are a bit too mindless for me.  Post-Meddle, the only thing I'm on the fence about is The Final Cut, I could probably get into it but it really seems too much like an abridged version of The Wall.  And I like The Wall, but it's a big enough adventure on its own that I don't know if I need more of it.

I read that Syd was only on the first two albums, with only "Jugband Blues" on the 2nd one?  If that's the case, I do actually dig his stuff. It was definitely a completely different band with him.
    That scale outro in “Who You Are,” with the slow tom roll into the crash, is a motif that runs throughout “Fearless.”

For another (perhaps more clear) homage, listen to this. 

https://youtu.be/KiXwUS9FFgc
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    I love how this poll makes me to listen to the full album before formulating an opinion. Haven't heard this entire album in 20 plus years so I'll check back later...
    That's why I am here.  :)
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Us And Them
    derbydave said:
    I gotta vote Money too...
    but only because it's been overplayed!!!
    And that is why I can't! :anguished:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Speak To Me
    Spinning now.
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Speak To Me
    MedozK said:
    That's why I am here.  :)
    And I appreciate it although you made me struggle with this one ;)  It's just really way too hard to break down an album like Dark Side into individual songs. It doesn't work that way. They all have a purpose and create the flow into the next song and so on. It's a toss up for me between two builder/bridge songs On the Run and Speak To Me. I guess I will go with Speak To Me because it has the same annoying as fahkk cash register sound effect as Money.
  • Options
    Speak To Me
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Horos said:

That scale outro in “Who You Are,” with the slow tom roll into the crash, is a motif that runs throughout “Fearless.”

For another (perhaps more clear) homage, listen to this. 

https://youtu.be/KiXwUS9FFgc
    Eh, I think I get what you mean.  Maybe.  I'd probably have to hear the parts isolated to even notice.  I don't know a damn thing about playing, though,  and I couldn't read music if my life depended on it so... there's that.
  • Options
    Money
    DewieCox said:
    brianlux said:

One of the greatest bass lines ever, kickass sax solo, relateable lyrics. 

As far as Floyd recommendations go, Saucerful of Secrets through to The Wall are all pretty essential if you dig the classic lineup.

Pink Floyd is a weird band for me.  I like the parts but not the whole.  Other than on a kind of academic level, I've never liked any of their albums enough to keep them.  They're interesting albums, the band put a lot of work into them.  It doesn't mean I think there's anything wrong with them- they just don't resonate with me. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Money
    One thing for sure, some weird and crazy shit happened back when that album came out.  Oh the stories!

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,503
    Speak To Me
    That sould be easy..
    i don't like Money either but definitely is not the worst sonf of the album..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
This discussion has been closed.