Options

The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,156
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    The more I read and watch the more I realize that all the dem candidates are pretty damn shitty.  Where is the next Obama?  A country of 300 million plus and this is the best we have?  
    Disagree....any of them would be better than tRump.  
    True but do any of them really stand out to you?  I mean i absolutely loved Obama as a candidate.  I was excited and proud to vote for him.  These candidates?  Yeah not too much.  It was the same feeling for Hillary, I voted for her but I wasn't overly excited to think of her as the president.  
    I’d feel good voting for Pete or Amy. Someone else could stand out between now and Election Day. But as of now those are the only 2 that could get me to the polls based on them and not their opponent
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,625
    Hillary is as center as they come and was possibly the most qualified person ever to run for president.  
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,512
    edited August 2019
    MayDay10 said:
    Hillary is as center as they come and was possibly the most qualified person ever to run for president.  
    But people had been conditioned to not like her for so many years. 

She is like "Can't Deny Me" if its on the new album.

Even if most of them did not know why they disliked her. It seems. Something-something-emails-and-boring-clothes

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,811
    MayDay10 said:
    Douche chills... that's a great term.  Never heard it before. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    MayDay10 said:
    But people had been conditioned to not like her for so many years. 

She is like "Can't Deny Me" if its on the new album.

Even if most of them did not know why they disliked her. It seems. Something-something-emails-and-boring-clothes

It reminds me of a local County Clerk/Comptroller race a couple years ago.  

There was a ex-TV news 'celebrity', all polished on interviews and television, with a white smile... but no real financial or government experience.

The other guy was an awkward looking overweight pale guy who looked like he hadn't been outside in awhile with glasses and when interviewed he kept looking at his feet. 

I told my wife that I know exactly who I want handling our money.

Ex TV news local celebrity guy won in a landslide.

Since then, all sorts of corruption.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    edited August 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    The more I read and watch the more I realize that all the dem candidates are pretty damn shitty.  Where is the next Obama?  A country of 300 million plus and this is the best we have?  
    True but do any of them really stand out to you?  I mean i absolutely loved Obama as a candidate.  I was excited and proud to vote for him.  These candidates?  Yeah not too much.  It was the same feeling for Hillary, I voted for her but I wasn't overly excited to think of her as the president.  
    I’d feel good voting for Pete or Amy. Someone else could stand out between now and Election Day. But as of now those are the only 2 that could get me to the polls based on them and not their opponent
    I tend to agree with McGruff 1) there's no Obama in the mix and 2) it's amazing that there can't be one every cycle...it's amazing that Obama's practically a once-in-a-generation candidate.  

As a politically engaged person, yeah, you can vote for Amy.  I'm from her state and she's smart and capable. But she's not going to bring people to the polls like Obama did.  You mention Pete...he's the most Obama-like among them, but I don't think he quite has the appeal to the sometimes-apolitical that Obama did.

But to McGruff's point, most of them seem to be stumbling their way through and just as likely to turn people off as pull them in.

I feel like there was a time when Biden was actually kinda sharp-tongued and would have run up the score in the debates with a dolt like Trump.  Well, if so, those days seem to be behind him.
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I tend to agree with McGruff 1) there's no Obama in the mix and 2) it's amazing that there can't be one every cycle...it's amazing that Obama's practically a once-in-a-generation candidate.  

As a politically engaged person, yeah, you can vote for Amy.  I'm from her state and she's smart and capable. But she's not going to bring people to the polls like Obama did.  You mention Pete...he's the most Obama-like among them, but I don't think he quite has the appeal to the sometimes-apolitical that Obama did.

But to McGruff's point, most of them seem to be stumbling their way through and just as likely to turn people off as pull them in.

I feel like there was a time when Biden was actually kinda sharp-tongued and would have run up the score in the debates with a dolt like Trump.  Well, if so, those days seem to be behind him.
    Im hoping he's better in a different format.  Also, he's taking shots from everyone as the front runner. That's not an easy gig. And some are uber obscure like the ridiculous one from Gill..
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,156
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I have no data...but it wouldn't surprise me that if the African american community wasn't as homophobic as it is, Mayor Pete would be doing a lot better.  I think he is likely "that" candidate.  But we will miss out on him cause even a large portion of the democratic voters don't like it when a guy loves another guy. But I guess I haven't seen any recent data...have to go look.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,143
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Pete could get there.  He's sharp as hell.

I think Biden will hit his stride.  He's been out of the mix for awhile, it's just taking him time to adjust.  It's been 7 years since he's been in a campaign after all.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I have no data...but it wouldn't surprise me that if the African american community wasn't as homophobic as it is, Mayor Pete would be doing a lot better.  I think he is likely "that" candidate.  But we will miss out on him cause even a large portion of the democratic voters don't like it when a guy loves another guy. But I guess I haven't seen any recent data...have to go look.
    I never knew the African American community was homophobic. Interesting. 

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I never knew the African American community was homophobic. Interesting. 

It's the older voters that are socially conservative in the party. 
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Pete’s a pro, I love him, not going to work, especially as vp.
    Anything can happen, but as of right now its
    1.)Biden
    2,3)Warren/Bernie

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    As a outsider viewer from another country, I have to say that for me if I were to vote for anyone it would be warren.  I know the running joke about her a plan for everything but damm don't you want someone who know the issues. 
    I look at her track record and I have to say that she has always been on the side of the poor and middle class. 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    fife said:
    As a outsider viewer from another country, I have to say that for me if I were to vote for anyone it would be warren.  I know the running joke about her a plan for everything but damm don't you want someone who know the issues. 
    I look at her track record and I have to say that she has always been on the side of the poor and middle class. 
    The other thing about her (that I'm not as sure about Bernie) is that she'll adjust quickly to reality; that the really crazy ideas will never happen. The Democratic Party is not going to try to end checks and balances to make the President feel validated like another party is currently doing.  

In short, she won't follow through on the promises that scare Americans.  But she's still capable and should be effective.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    edited August 2019
    There are many exciting democratic candidates, most I would be happy to vote for. All I would vote for (if I could) over Trump, because I'm not an idiot. Warren being my favourite.

As I read through this thread I don't understand where all the negativity is coming from.

Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    Its concerning to me that free/affordable healthcare and education are things that "scare americans"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Pretty crazy to think:
    While Trump’s $267 billion is bad, the Democrats’ plans are worse. We counted $297 billion proposed by Biden, $690 billion from Buttigieg, $3.8 trillion from Warren, $4 trillion from Sanders and $4.3 trillion from Harris. That would double what the entire federal government spends now.
    https://townhall.com/columnists/johnstossel/2019/07/31/free-stuff-n2550923?fbclid=IwAR2mDPL1ppxW1SxG5wCKCP46VVRPdlJcrnluYyr6jAnXOMZSFe1IlX6mhD4

Here's the video just in case you don't feel like reading today:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5odA8Gsmzs

Its actually even trickier than the wonky debates this week.

MFA is not free and will not include massive govt spending or an enormous tax 

The trick is converting a sizable portion of the economy, what employers pay for healthcare, directly  to worker salaries salaries. Pay us instead of our insurers.

If Bernie or Liz could do that, and then account for the lowering of the actual cost to provide care, the impact on our taxes would be minimal in theory 

The reason I love Bernie but dont support him is he has done a terrible job communicating this.  Too many Americans have a false perception on cost and I'll blame bernie for that because he has been talking about MFA healthcare the longest.
    Couldn't you effectively lower the prices by allowing people to buy into Medicare,  creating true competition for private insurers,  without blowing up the whole system? 
    Forcing employers to turn money saved through employer matches into salary increases to net the cost to neutral for the inevitable tax increases feels much more difficult. 
    My biggest concern is quality of care if private hospitals turn into government entities.  We have government hospitals in this country and the care is terrible,  wait times atrocious,  etc. The VA is awful. 
  • Options
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,473
    edited August 2019
    I'm less confident about these democrats' chances than I was a month ago. 
    I’m more concerned. 

Mostly because

1) I now think Biden is a terrible candidate. Never liked the guy but thought he could win. He seems tired and like he doesn’t want to be there.
    2) Dems keep moving left, which is away from me and moderates. So even if they win, I’m not going to like the result.
    3) it seems like it’s a Biden/Sanders/Warren race at the moment at that is about as bad as it could get for me.
    I'm with you on #1. To me that is the most disappointing thing. Biden at the top of his game is their best chance to win. He's clearly not at the top of his game. 

#3--Harris is definitely in that mix. I know wha the polls say, but my money is on her to win the nomination at this point. And I believe she can beat Trump too....though just would be more difficult than a top of his game Biden.

But yeah, overall, pretty disappointing if you're a moderate. They barely spent any time talking about the voters they need to win those most important 12-15 states last night. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    I’m more concerned. 

Mostly because

1) I now think Biden is a terrible candidate. Never liked the guy but thought he could win. He seems tired and like he doesn’t want to be there.
    2) Dems keep moving left, which is away from me and moderates. So even if they win, I’m not going to like the result.
    3) it seems like it’s a Biden/Sanders/Warren race at the moment at that is about as bad as it could get for me.

But yeah, overall, pretty disappointing if you're a moderate. They barely spent any time talking about the voters they need to win those most important 12-15 states last night. 
    I believe Warren and Sanders are talking to those people.

But I do agree, if you are a moderate, the shift in the Democratic party would be disappointing.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mcgruff10 said:
    It is. They are eating their own instead of focusing on the most important aspect - beating Trump. I understand they're each trying to differentiate themselves but the last 2 nights were nothing but Dems shooting each other, and last night was a total assault on Obama. I thought I was watching the GOP debates at times.

Former Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who served as the first White House chief to Obama, said Democratic presidential candidates were being extraordinarily short-sighted and wrong-headed by assailing the Obama administration's record, rather than trying to build upon it.

This is exactly the problem. Obama was popular and while there are parts of his legacy that weren't necessarily stellar, the Dems need to run on a "return to normalcy" which we experienced in the Obama era, rather than talk about all of the horrible things the Dems did under Obama/Biden. Trump must be super happy about the past couple of nights.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    jeffbr said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    It is. They are eating their own instead of focusing on the most important aspect - beating Trump. I understand they're each trying to differentiate themselves but the last 2 nights were nothing but Dems shooting each other, and last night was a total assault on Obama. I thought I was watching the GOP debates at times.

Former Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who served as the first White House chief to Obama, said Democratic presidential candidates were being extraordinarily short-sighted and wrong-headed by assailing the Obama administration's record, rather than trying to build upon it.

This is exactly the problem. Obama was popular and while there are parts of his legacy that weren't necessarily stellar, the Dems need to run on a "return to normalcy" which we experienced in the Obama era, rather than talk about all of the horrible things the Dems did under Obama/Biden. Trump must be super happy about the past couple of nights.
    Agreed.

Part of the problem is the way the DNC set these debates up to have a bunch of lesser tier candidates who have zero shots of winning going up against the ones who actually do. Fucking DeBlasio was just tossing grenades during his two debates. Fuck him. He sucks. 

Everyone would have been much better served seen Biden go up against Sanders, Warrnen, Harris, Buttigegehappoiueggie, and maybe a couple others during his two debates. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Deblasio is such a pos.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    I’m more concerned. 

Mostly because

I'm with you on #1. To me that is the most disappointing thing. Biden at the top of his game is their best chance to win. He's clearly not at the top of his game. 

#3--Harris is definitely in that mix. I know wha the polls say, but my money is on her to win the nomination at this point. And I believe she can beat Trump too....though just would be more difficult than a top of his game Biden.

My big concern with Harris is that she is good at the sneak attack, but can't take it. Tulsi Gabbard slapped Harris down a few pegs last night in my estimation. Harris was flustered and did a lot of finger wagging. People aren't generally into that kind of thing. I was a Biden/Harris fan prior to the 1st debates. After Harris' shitty behavior I'm not a fan. And I still think Biden will recover from this. He is shaking off the rust and I think we'll see him move up again, especially once the clown car has fewer clowns in it. Gabbard's stock has risen with me, and I would get behind a Biden / Gabbard ticket. All that being said, no matter what, I'll be voting for the Dem that gets the nomination. Every single one of them would be a huge step up from what we have now.
  • Options
    jeffbr said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Agreed.

Part of the problem is the way the DNC set these debates up to have a bunch of lesser tier candidates who have zero shots of winning going up against the ones who actually do. Fucking DeBlasio was just tossing grenades during his two debates. Fuck him. He sucks. 

Everyone would have been much better served seen Biden go up against Sanders, Warrnen, Harris, Buttigegehappoiueggie, and maybe a couple others during his two debates. 
    This. Plus the debate format basically pitted them against each other, which was entirely counterproductive. Perhaps they need a more town hall style debate where they can answer questions about themselves and their platforms and policy ideas, rather than setting the candidates up to blow the heads off their opponents. 
  • Options
    Harris did not have a very good night last night. I agree. I still like her though. That attack might help her improve...

Gabbard did hit her hard. But I would not be surprised if she turns out to be Jill Stein 2.0 and runs as an independent. I'm weary of her. Anyone who cannot condemn Assad is not okay in my book no matter how much they exceed debate expectations..
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,982
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Why would anyone in their right mind want to prostitute themselves and their ideals for all the money that's required to be successful and have every minute of their life from birth to present investigated, inspected and dissected and splayed across all forms of media for scrutiny? The process prevents "good" people from running. Obama was so squeaky clean that it threw the repubs for a total loop in 2008 as they had basically no opposition research material on him and fully expected Hillary, where they had binders full ready to go, to win the nomination. The best they could do was "birtherism" and Reverend Wright. And when that didn't work, it morphed into Muslim and ISIS. And coming for your guns and destroying 'Murica. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,227
    fife said:

In an american general elections republicans make everyone hate those folks and make Democrats look like socialists. In this country we like to blame the poor for being poor.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,227
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Pretty crazy to think:
    While Trump’s $267 billion is bad, the Democrats’ plans are worse. We counted $297 billion proposed by Biden, $690 billion from Buttigieg, $3.8 trillion from Warren, $4 trillion from Sanders and $4.3 trillion from Harris. That would double what the entire federal government spends now.
    https://townhall.com/columnists/johnstossel/2019/07/31/free-stuff-n2550923?fbclid=IwAR2mDPL1ppxW1SxG5wCKCP46VVRPdlJcrnluYyr6jAnXOMZSFe1IlX6mhD4

Here's the video just in case you don't feel like reading today:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5odA8Gsmzs

Its actually even trickier than the wonky debates this week.

MFA is not free and will not include massive govt spending or an enormous tax 

The trick is converting a sizable portion of the economy, what employers pay for healthcare, directly  to worker salaries salaries. Pay us instead of our insurers.

If Bernie or Liz could do that, and then account for the lowering of the actual cost to provide care, the impact on our taxes would be minimal in theory 

The reason I love Bernie but dont support him is he has done a terrible job communicating this.  Too many Americans have a false perception on cost and I'll blame bernie for that because he has been talking about MFA healthcare the longest.
    Couldn't you effectively lower the prices by allowing people to buy into Medicare,  creating true competition for private insurers,  without blowing up the whole system? 
    Forcing employers to turn money saved through employer matches into salary increases to net the cost to neutral for the inevitable tax increases feels much more difficult. 
    My biggest concern is quality of care if private hospitals turn into government entities.  We have government hospitals in this country and the care is terrible,  wait times atrocious,  etc. The VA is awful. 
    Yes. I think we have agreed on that in the past.

I was attempting to point out though I love Bernie (but want Biden to win), I blame him for not getting a decent explanation of MFA funding.

My concern is there's alot of passion coming from the Bernie Liz  flank and they may be able to push MFA onto the platform. So it would help us if folks understand it's not necessarily more expensive if that were to happen.

At this point in time a Medicare option is the best plan for dems to propose 
This discussion has been closed.