The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited March 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Sorry, It's laughable and sad that anyone is trying to suggest that sexism isn't alive and well in national politics.
    I don't think I'm saying that.  I'm saying I don't think the coverage is obviously unequal.  That's different than saying that people are sexist.  
    Sorry, I'm not just talking about you, or you at all, really. Still talking generally! I do really think that the coverage AND the public reaction to candidates both to coverage and just in their own rights are very obviously unequal though, and that is very obviously because of sexism IMO, and suggesting otherwise makes no sense to me. I am heartened, however, to see that an openly gay man is gaining some traction (and honestly Buttigieg might be my fave male candidate) .... but even that also highlights how bad the sexism in politics really is.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Sorry, It's laughable and sad that anyone is trying to suggest that sexism isn't alive and well in national politics.
    I don't think I'm saying that.  I'm saying I don't think the coverage is obviously unequal.  That's different than saying that people are sexist.  
    Sorry, I'm not just talking about you, or you at all, really. Still talking generally! I do really think that the coverage AND the public reaction to candidates both to coverage and just in their own rights are very obviously unequal though, and that is very obviously because of sexism IMO, and suggesting otherwise makes no sense to me. I am heartened, however, to see that an openly gay man is gaining some traction (and honestly Buttigieg might be my fave male candidate) .... but even that also highlights how bad the sexism in politics really is.

I don't know about the coverage, since I don't watch a lot of news. And I'm sort of self-selecting which candidates I follow. I don't read about Sanders or O'Rourke, because they don't interest me (yes, if one of them ends up being the nominee, I will vote for them, but I'm really hoping someone else will be the nominee). So, I follow Harris, Booker, and Buttigieg; I'll be following Biden if/ when he enters the race. I wish Sherrod Brown had decided to run, because I think he would have been a great option.

Anyway, I'm not perceiving unequal coverage. But, speaking as a woman, and with memories of 2016 still fresh in my head, no, I have no doubt that sexism is alive and well in national politics. I think Kamala Harris would be a dynamite option, and I'm thrilled that she's running. But I'm also well aware that there are parts of the country where most people think that it's "not ladylike" for a woman to be in that position (despite *how many* countries that already have female leaders?!?), and adding in that she's a woman of color makes it all the more challenging.

I find it interesting. Someone somewhere (maybe it was here?) thought that Buttigieg's sexuality would be a big strike against him. My sense, based on little more than my gut and the rapid national change in attitude toward marriage equality, is that many people would be more likely to vote for a white man who happens to be gay than a woman (or another person of color -- I'm a fan of Cory Booker, too). I'm not happy about that, but that's what my gut is telling me.  
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    edited March 2019
    I think I said a little while ago that if Ireland of all places - land of the Catholics, lol - can elect a gay PM (and vote to legalize abortion too!), surely America can find it in its soul to elect a gay POTUS.... surely? :fearful:

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    I should clarify -- I have ZERO issue with any candidate's sexuality (and as I've said, I *love* Mayor Pete). Sexual ethics :ahem: are another matter. I was voicing my frustration over the general lack of progress on women's issues in this country.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yes well ... Now my primary concern is that 3 (maybe 4 now) white men are getting the huge lion's share of the attention from the media now, which is a whole other story.
    Don't we want the best candidate to take on Trump, not the one that can pile up the most minority attributes?  
    Yes. And why in the world has the media decided that all the white men are the best candidates?? That is the point.
    The best and the most likely to win are two different things.  As much as it would be fine with me if  a Latino or Black woman became president, this next election is critical in terms of getting Trump out.  If America is not ready for a woman or minority woman to be president, then so be it for the 2020 election.  Get Trump out, then let's go for our first female president.  Someone good, of course, and if she's really good, all the better!
    Pathetic. So the media has decided that white men are the only ones who can beat Trump, so that is what America is going to believe and do. Screw it if the best option is ignored. No way can a woman and/or minority beat TRUMP. The man who a 12 year old could out-POTUS.
    Got it.
    OK, look,  before you start throwing burning spears at me (actually, that guy's music is quite cool, so go ahead, lay some Burning Spear on me!) I don't know if a woman is or isn't capable of winning in 2020.  It's too early to tell WHO is going to win.  I've said that before.  When we get closer- a lot closer- if it comes down to one of the half way, or better, decent men running as candidate being more likely to beat Trump, that's who I think it would make the most sense to vote for.  If I thought I could vote for an outsider I really like knowing Trump will not win a second term either way, I would vote for the outsider.  But right now, I'm not so confidant Trump cannot win a second term.  It's too early to say.

What I said earlier has nothing to do with me thinking a woman can or can't become president. And I don't give two fucks what the media says- it's all bullshit anyway.  I don't even think the media could stop the right woman from winning. 

And where did you get the notion I think the best option should be ignored?  WTF? I didn't say that.  

And I'm not a goddamn male chauvinist pig.   I am kind of steamed that you would even hint at that. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited March 2019
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yes well ... Now my primary concern is that 3 (maybe 4 now) white men are getting the huge lion's share of the attention from the media now, which is a whole other story.
    Don't we want the best candidate to take on Trump, not the one that can pile up the most minority attributes?  
    Yes. And why in the world has the media decided that all the white men are the best candidates?? That is the point.
    The best and the most likely to win are two different things.  As much as it would be fine with me if  a Latino or Black woman became president, this next election is critical in terms of getting Trump out.  If America is not ready for a woman or minority woman to be president, then so be it for the 2020 election.  Get Trump out, then let's go for our first female president.  Someone good, of course, and if she's really good, all the better!
    Pathetic. So the media has decided that white men are the only ones who can beat Trump, so that is what America is going to believe and do. Screw it if the best option is ignored. No way can a woman and/or minority beat TRUMP. The man who a 12 year old could out-POTUS.
    Got it.
    OK, look,  before you start throwing burning spears at me (actually, that guy's music is quite cool, so go ahead, lay some Burning Spear on me!) I don't know if a woman is or isn't capable of winning in 2020.  It's too early to tell WHO is going to win.  I've said that before.  When we get closer- a lot closer- if it comes down to one of the half way, or better, decent men running as candidate being more likely to beat Trump, that's who I think it would make the most sense to vote for.  If I thought I could vote for an outsider I really like knowing Trump will not win a second term either way, I would vote for the outsider.  But right now, I'm not so confidant Trump cannot win a second term.  It's too early to say.

What I said earlier has nothing to do with me thinking a woman can or can't become president. And I don't give two fucks what the media says- it's all bullshit anyway.  I don't even think the media could stop the right woman from winning. 

And where did you get the notion I think the best option should be ignored?  WTF? I didn't say that.  

And I'm not a goddamn male chauvinist pig.   I am kind of steamed that you would even hint at that. 
    You took that WAY too personally Brian. I was referring to the state of affairs in America, as I view them and as you referred to them, not you or your opinion about it. I didn't get the idea at all that you think anything should be ignored, nor that you're sexist. At all. I didn't hint that..... Perhaps next time you think I'm trashing your character, which I would never do and never have, you should ask me some more questions to make sure you're clear on what I'm saying!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Got it.

You took that WAY too personally Brian. I was referring to the state of affairs in America, as I view them and as you referred to them, not you or your opinion about it. I didn't get the idea at all that you think anything should be ignored, nor that you're sexist. At all. I didn't hint that..... Perhaps next time you think I'm trashing your character, which I would never do and never have, you should ask me some more questions to make sure you're clear on what I'm saying!
    My apologies for the misunderstanding, Allison.  Mea culpa! 

Gotta run, will catch up here more late.

Peace!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

Hi! said:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/next-to-buttigieg-beto-is-a-joke
    This is an article I can across that I’m sharing because I was kind of having the same thoughts expressed in this opinion piece, recently. It kind of pits Beto against Buttigieg but I tend to agree with most of it, although it kind of took some harsh shots at Beto, so it’s a little one sided, I guess.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Hi! said:
    This is an article I can across that I’m sharing because I was kind of having the same thoughts expressed in this opinion piece, recently. It kind of pits Beto against Buttigieg but I tend to agree with most of it, although it kind of took some harsh shots at Beto, so it’s a little one sided, I guess.
    It's the Washington Examiner...  they would love for the gay guy to win so they can start with those slurs later.  I'm not denigrating Buttigieg, but the Examiner's motives are never aligned with a Democrats. 
    mrussel1 said:
    Hi! said:
    It's the Washington Examiner...  they would love for the gay guy to win so they can start with those slurs later.  I'm not denigrating Buttigieg, but the Examiner's motives are never aligned with a Democrats. 
    Yeah, wasn’t sure about the source, but agreed with the general theme of the article. 
    I don’t know if my heart would be able to take a whole campaign worth of gay slurs. “What? You gonna vote for a fucking fag? Fucking queer!” for example. Homophobia seems more acceptable or out in the open than racism if you really think about it. 

I'm still working on how to say his name without stopping to think about it (Boot-edge-edge, said quickly, lol). But he's my fave man running for sure - I'd MUCH prefer him over Beto. I'm surprised the moderate Republicans who don't like Trump don't like Beto more though. Why don't they? They keep whining about needing a centrist, and Beto is one.
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm still working on how to say his name without stopping to think about it (Boot-edge-edge, said quickly, lol). But he's my fave man running for sure - I'd MUCH prefer him over Beto. I'm surprised the moderate Republicans who don't like Trump don't like Beto more though. Why don't they? They keep whining about needing a centrist, and Beto is one.
    I don't know that they don't.  It's still awfully early..

You know what it's not too early for?  That's right, your weekly HuffPo hit piece on moderates!  https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kamala-harris-truancy-arrests-2020-progressive-prosecutor_n_5c995789e4b0f7bfa1b57d2e
    I think he uses “boot edge edge”, his husband uses “Buddha Judge”. I use “Buddha Judge”, lol.
    This from his website,

PRESIDENT PETE!
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,427
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm still working on how to say his name without stopping to think about it (Boot-edge-edge, saidmo quickly, lol). But he's my fave man running for sure - I'd MUCH prefer him over Beto. I'm surprised the moderate Republicans who don't like Trump don't like Beto more though. Why don't they? They keep whining about needing a centrist, and Beto is one.
    buddha judge
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm still working on how to say his name without stopping to think about it (Boot-edge-edge, saidmo quickly, lol). But he's my fave man running for sure - I'd MUCH prefer him over Beto. I'm surprised the moderate Republicans who don't like Trump don't like Beto more though. Why don't they? They keep whining about needing a centrist, and Beto is one.
    buddha judge
    It literally sounds the same either way (when I say it, anyway), just spelled differently, lol.
    While most D's hold a lead head to head over Trump in PA, Sanders and Biden are double digit.  Pretty good news overall.  Trump has terrible approval in PA.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/436428-poll-biden-sanders-lead-trump-in-pennsylvania-by-10-points
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    mrussel1 said:
    While most D's hold a lead head to head over Trump in PA, Sanders and Biden are double digit.  Pretty good news overall.  Trump has terrible approval in PA.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/436428-poll-biden-sanders-lead-trump-in-pennsylvania-by-10-points
    I dunno. I'd like to see what areas of PA were polled here. Trump owned the rural areas of PA. The democrat will clean up in Philly and Pittsburgh of course. But Lackawanna county (where I'm from actually) will be huge. Obama killed Romney in Lackawanna county in 2012, but Hillary beat Trump in Lackawanna by a only tiny margin, which may have swung the state in 2016. Biden is of course from Lackawanna county (Scranton) so that bodes well for him. I thought it would for Hillary (her father is from Scranton) but Trump made up such a margin there that you can almost say he won the county. He also campaigned there a lot knowing it could swing the state. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    mrussel1 said:

I dunno. I'd like to see what areas of PA were polled here. Trump owned the rural areas of PA. The democrat will clean up in Philly and Pittsburgh of course. But Lackawanna county (where I'm from actually) will be huge. Obama killed Romney in Lackawanna county in 2012, but Hillary beat Trump in Lackawanna by a only tiny margin, which may have swung the state in 2016. Biden is of course from Lackawanna county (Scranton) so that bodes well for him. I thought it would for Hillary (her father is from Scranton) but Trump made up such a margin there that you can almost say he won the county. He also campaigned there a lot knowing it could swing the state. 
    Well they would poll across the state and then adjust the results for registration and historical results.  So two things are always variables in polling 1. people who are registered for one party and vote for the other and 2. sporadic voters who are not in the adjustments. In other words people who end up voting, but were not expected to do so.  
    I agree that Biden will be very strong in the Scranton area.  I would think Sanders would be as well. They both speak the right language for a state as old as PA.  I do like that Biden would likely throw back verbal punches at Trump.  He's the kind of guy that would challenge Trump to a fight.  
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,482
    mrussel1 said:

Only 3 of 8 folks on a CNN focus group from I think Lackawanna County raised their hands and said they’d vote for him. All were self identified indies. Only 5 of 8 gave him credit for the economy and said despite that, they were tired of his BS, paraphrasing.

Or the polling data shared with the Russians by Manafort that repubs are okay with directed Putin on the ritz to focus on that area of PA. 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Well they would poll across the state and then adjust the results for registration and historical results.  So two things are always variables in polling 1. people who are registered for one party and vote for the other and 2. sporadic voters who are not in the adjustments. In other words people who end up voting, but were not expected to do so.  
    I agree that Biden will be very strong in the Scranton area.  I would think Sanders would be as well. They both speak the right language for a state as old as PA.  I do like that Biden would likely throw back verbal punches at Trump.  He's the kind of guy that would challenge Trump to a fight.  
    I like Biden too. Hopefully he still has some fight left in him. He won't be rattled by any of Trump's attacks, but I worry that he might not have it in in him to fight back like he would a few years ago. We'll see I guess. He may not even declare his candidacy until the 11th hour because he doesn't have to. He's so well-known that he doesn't have to be campaigning early like say Beto, Harris, or the other "newbies" on the scene. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I like Biden too. Hopefully he still has some fight left in him. He won't be rattled by any of Trump's attacks, but I worry that he might not have it in in him to fight back like he would a few years ago. We'll see I guess. He may not even declare his candidacy until the 11th hour because he doesn't have to. He's so well-known that he doesn't have to be campaigning early like say Beto, Harris, or the other "newbies" on the scene. 
    True, he definitely has that advantage.  Polling this well without announcing is a nice luxury.  
    Biden taking heat for his inappropriate conduct towards women. Not sure if this is really an issue. I’ve heard and read about these things with Biden before. I personally feel you shouldn’t be touching people without their consent, especially coming up behind them and rubbing and kissing them on the back of the head or whatever.
    So, not sure what to think. All, I know is a pat on the back or a handshake would suffice. Why you gotta get all creepy Uncle Joe? I mean the republicans are gonna use this against him, better he deals with it now. It could potentially have an affect in the primary though.

Hi! said:
    Biden taking heat for his inappropriate conduct towards women. Not sure if this is really an issue. I’ve heard and read about these things with Biden before. I personally feel you shouldn’t be touching people without their consent, especially coming up behind them and rubbing and kissing them on the back of the head or whatever.
    So, not sure what to think. All, I know is a pat on the back or a handshake would suffice. Why you gotta get all creepy Uncle Joe? I mean the republicans are gonna use this against him, better he deals with it now. It could potentially have an affect in the primary though.
    This is a 20 plus year old story.  Times have changed.  Everyone knows this.  

Where is he taking heat? 
    Ha! Did I even have to ask? It's the headline of HuffPo 
    mrussel1 said:
    Ha! Did I even have to ask? It's the headline of HuffPo 

It was also front page cnn, and I was under impression it was some sort of new allegation.

This discussion has been closed.