Options

The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Promising a functional Hoverboard if elected is a more tangible goal. 
  • Options
    I wonder what the media reaction would be if Donnie promised to cure cancer in a re-election rally?  The little blue bird would be working OT right now for sure. 
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,785
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I cannot believe we're not addressing the fact that cancer isn't, ya know, this one singular thing. You cannot cure cancer as there are many forms. It's just a ridiculous statement.

Good stuff right here:
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/12/elizabeth-warren-2020-election-polls-1362107
    https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-2020-california-democratic-primary-poll-20190613-story.html

They should be asking people more often in polls who their 2nd choice would be.
    Warren is definitely an existential political risk to Sanders.  They occupy the same lanes.  She's having a good run right now.  Regarding California, I would not expect anyone but a strongly left progressive to win that state in the primary.  I can't recall where it is in the calendar, but if it's earl enough, it's a great opportunity for Warren to pick up major pledged delegates.  If Biden were to win, you'd have to call it a day because that means he's winning SC, PA, MI, and Ohio too.  
    They're early. Cali's part of Super Tuesday in early March.

PA (where I live) really should be lumped into Super Tuesday - basically, all swing states should be earlier as I see it. PA's late April and by then there's a good chance this thing has all but been decided at that point anyway.
    I think we'll make it to late May with two candidates.  We have for the last two cycles, if my memory serves me.  So with California being Super Tuesday, that can make the race interesting. It may be practically decided though, to your point.  It probably was in 2016 as Hillary was racking up serious pledged delegate and vote leads that were truly insurmountable.  Interestingly, Bernie's only chance by May was gaining the super delegates, which they had spent months disparaging.  
    Right, which I think they changed the rules on iirc (re: super delegates)?

I'd go as far to say there may still be three candidates in it by March.

My gut feeling is this will be decided way before the convention. Even with the idea of three candidates still in it, I say this thing is wrapped up by late April (before PA, Connecticut, Maryland, Delaware, and Rhode Island on the 28th) since more than half of the country will have voted by then.

Sucks, too, because I'm organizing an all-candidate event for late April (before PA's) and this will definitely effect the RSVP count, haha.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Did Biden say he would cure cancer in his presidential term?  If he did, then he might be delusional...
    He got that moonshot iniative from Obama about finding about ”curing” cancer. Or something like that. 
    He's delusional if he thinks curing cancer is happening in his term...IF he wins.  When you are 80, you can downhill faster than you'd like.

But do the Dems plan on running anyone other than seniors...so expect a lot of seniors moments on the campaign trail...both sides.
    When has he said he would Cure cancer in his term?
    In Sweden who pays for dental/pharma/vision care if you do not have the money for private insurance...or is that all included as part of your universal package...
    Explain What the three are and I might be able to answer? Pharma? Vision - is that glasses and stuff? Dental = fixing holes in teeth?
    Pharma=Prescriptions, Vision=yearly check-ups, glasses if needed, Dental=oral health, dentist coverage...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Carter only won 1 term...the Dems should wheel him out...or is he 2 young?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I cannot believe we're not addressing the fact that cancer isn't, ya know, this one singular thing. You cannot cure cancer as there are many forms. It's just a ridiculous statement.

Good stuff right here:
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/12/elizabeth-warren-2020-election-polls-1362107
    https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-2020-california-democratic-primary-poll-20190613-story.html

They should be asking people more often in polls who their 2nd choice would be.
    Warren is definitely an existential political risk to Sanders.  They occupy the same lanes.  She's having a good run right now.  Regarding California, I would not expect anyone but a strongly left progressive to win that state in the primary.  I can't recall where it is in the calendar, but if it's earl enough, it's a great opportunity for Warren to pick up major pledged delegates.  If Biden were to win, you'd have to call it a day because that means he's winning SC, PA, MI, and Ohio too.  
    They're early. Cali's part of Super Tuesday in early March.

PA (where I live) really should be lumped into Super Tuesday - basically, all swing states should be earlier as I see it. PA's late April and by then there's a good chance this thing has all but been decided at that point anyway.
    I think we'll make it to late May with two candidates.  We have for the last two cycles, if my memory serves me.  So with California being Super Tuesday, that can make the race interesting. It may be practically decided though, to your point.  It probably was in 2016 as Hillary was racking up serious pledged delegate and vote leads that were truly insurmountable.  Interestingly, Bernie's only chance by May was gaining the super delegates, which they had spent months disparaging.  
    Right, which I think they changed the rules on iirc (re: super delegates)?

I'd go as far to say there may still be three candidates in it by March.

My gut feeling is this will be decided way before the convention. Even with the idea of three candidates still in it, I say this thing is wrapped up by late April (before PA, Connecticut, Maryland, Delaware, and Rhode Island on the 28th) since more than half of the country will have voted by then.

Sucks, too, because I'm organizing an all-candidate event for late April (before PA's) and this will definitely effect the RSVP count, haha.
    Yes SD's can only vote beginning in the second round.  So a three candidate heat deep into the season could bring that into play, if the candidates were truly splitting the primaries.  I don't see that happening personally.  An true 'nominating convention' would be something to see though.  I don't think the D's have had a legitimate one of those since 68, when you had all of RFK's delegates left unpledged coming in.  
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,016
    Did Biden say he would cure cancer in his presidential term?  If he did, then he might be delusional...
    He got that moonshot iniative from Obama about finding about ”curing” cancer. Or something like that. 
    He's delusional if he thinks curing cancer is happening in his term...IF he wins.  When you are 80, you can downhill faster than you'd like.

But do the Dems plan on running anyone other than seniors...so expect a lot of seniors moments on the campaign trail...both sides.
    In Sweden who pays for dental/pharma/vision care if you do not have the money for private insurance...or is that all included as part of your universal package...
    Explain What the three are and I might be able to answer? Pharma? Vision - is that glasses and stuff? Dental = fixing holes in teeth?
    Pharma=Prescriptions, Vision=yearly check-ups, glasses if needed, Dental=oral health, dentist coverage...
    Pharma
    We have pharmacies? That sell everything from sun lotion, to condoms to prescription drugs. Until 2009 all pharmacies was state-owned, but since 2009 private companies are allowed to run pharmacies. If you need prescription drugs for more than 2200 SEK ($250) per year, than we have "high cost protection" that means that you will get what's above 2200 SEK without cost. I think.... not really my field...

Vision
    Recently they made it so up till 9 years old kids get glasses for free. Otherwise having bad vision, you buy your own glasses and go to an optician. 

Dental
    Not part of healthcare as a rule (I guess there are exceptions). So you pay for it yourself. Pretty expensive in Sweden (but our citizens to have good teeth). Have been talks since forever about if it should be counted as health care or not. I have some "insurance" with the "public dentalcare" (some people go to private dentists) so I pay $8 a month and it includes examinations and help with whatever problems might arise.

How do Canada do it?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

Pharma
    We have pharmacies? That sell everything from sun lotion, to condoms to prescription drugs. Until 2009 all pharmacies was state-owned, but since 2009 private companies are allowed to run pharmacies. If you need prescription drugs for more than 2200 SEK ($250) per year, than we have "high cost protection" that means that you will get what's above 2200 SEK without cost. I think.... not really my field...

Vision
    Recently they made it so up till 9 years old kids get glasses for free. Otherwise having bad vision, you buy your own glasses and go to an optician. 

Dental
    Not part of healthcare as a rule (I guess there are exceptions). So you pay for it yourself. Pretty expensive in Sweden (but our citizens to have good teeth). Have been talks since forever about if it should be counted as health care or not. I have some "insurance" with the "public dentalcare" (some people go to private dentists) so I pay $8 a month and it includes examinations and help with whatever problems might arise.

How do Canada do it?
    Thanks and very informative.  In Canada, each province and territory run their own healthcare...I am in Ontario, we have universal healthcare that covers, Dr. visits, hospital stays, all test related to your health...we get 0 dental coverage (however, low-income seniors are now covered), we have no pharma (we have a foundation that covers necessary prescriptions that you need to stay healthy, they cover people in low-income situations), and no vision coverage (but diabetics get free coverage)...I do believe pharma and dental will be added at some point...at least there is a push to eventually add it.   Private Insurance starts around $80 a month and goes up from there.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Pharma

Vision

Dental

How do Canada do it?
    Thanks and very informative.  In Canada, each province and territory run their own healthcare...I am in Ontario, we have universal healthcare that covers, Dr. visits, hospital stays, all test related to your health...we get 0 dental coverage (however, low-income seniors are now covered), we have no pharma (we have a foundation that covers necessary prescriptions that you need to stay healthy, they cover people in low-income situations), and no vision coverage (but diabetics get free coverage)...I do believe pharma and dental will be added at some point...at least there is a push to eventually add it.   Private Insurance starts around $80 a month and goes up from there.
    Eh... to be factual, I guess that is also the fact in Sweden. Sweden is separated into 20 landsting *googling* "counties/countys" that run the healthcare in that region. So there are (some) differences between the different counties (e.g one of my brothers who lives up here did not get a "see if there is risk for downs syndrome and various 'problems' with your child (fetus diagnostics test?)" test and instead had to pay for it ($100), while my brother who lives in the south of Sweden got that test for free). 

The right winged christian party wants to return healthcare to be governed by the state. It was one of the things they campaigned on last fall.

Regarding dental, up till 26 years old it is free (when I grew up the age was 19). 

With dental that are a lot of private dentists. But I - and most people - go to the public option - and I pay as I said 8 dollars a month for it (will be higher if I mistreat my teeth though). Otherwise going to the dentist is quite expensive. My grandmother went on some "dental trip" to Poland to fix her teeth when she was alive (and buy cheap alcohol at the same time). Haha.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I can't get behind Warren today due to proposals such as these...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/elizabeth-warren-to-introduce-bill-cancelling-up-to-50000-in-student-debt-for-most-borrowers-2019-06-13

There's no such thing as a free lunch.  This is a regressive policy that benefits those most likely to be high earners in the future. It will be paid for by taxes and/or loss of services eventually.  It cancels up to 50,000 in debt for those with income less than 100k.  So in other words, every college student that graduated this year would be eligible at a minimum.  
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Cancelling student debt is just weird to me. There is so much to do to make society more equal (and humane). 

But they knew What they signed up for when taking loans..
  • Options
    Cancelling student debt is just weird to me. There is so much to do to make society more equal (and humane). 

Holy shit, has hell frozen over?  Are donkeys flying?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

If you try to listen to me, I have been questioning that before in this thread :)
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I am surprised some candidate has not said, "well their brains are not fully developed, how can they possibly know what they are signing up for"?  Their debt, they should pay it.  Otherwise, pay everyone's debt.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I am surprised some candidate has not said, "well their brains are not fully developed, how can they possibly know what they are signing up for"?  Their debt, they should pay it.  Otherwise, pay everyone's debt.
    That's exactly right.  And how about my son who will be graduating college in 2024.  Would he get this benefit?  Are we just going to be wiping out debt as soon as you graduate?  Because God knows you aren't earning 100k when you walk out of college.  
  • Options
    Night One: June 26
    Cory Booker, senator from New Jersey
    Julián Castro, former housing secretary
    Bill de Blasio, mayor of New York
    John Delaney, former representative from Maryland
    Tulsi Gabbard, representative from Hawaii
    Jay Inslee, governor of Washington
    Amy Klobuchar, senator from Minnesota
    Beto O’Rourke, former representative from Texas
    Tim Ryan, representative from Ohio
    Elizabeth Warren, senator from Massachusetts
    ---
    Night Two: June 27
    Michael Bennet, senator from Colorado
    Joseph R. Biden Jr., former vice president
    Pete Buttigieg, mayor of South Bend, Ind.
    Kirsten Gillibrand, senator from New York
    Kamala Harris, senator from California
    John Hickenlooper, former governor of Colorado
    Bernie Sanders, senator from Vermont
    Eric Swalwell, representative from California
    Marianne Williamson, self-help author
    Andrew Yang, former tech executive
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Too bad Warren got into the ”boring group”. Haha. 

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    SLEEPY

VS

CRAZY

VS

ALFRED

** LETS GO **
  • Options
    College graduates are probably more likely to vote.  I know I would vote for the Wig party if they essentially paid off tens of thousands in debt for me. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Jason P said:
    College graduates are probably more likely to vote.  I know I would vote for the Wig party if they essentially paid off tens of thousands in debt for me. 
    I dont think Warren comes off as someone that cynical. Even though i might not agree, Im sure she has a respactable reason for her ”plans”. 

She isnt Joe ”lets write something up quickly” Biden or Donald ”Urukhai hear my call - your coal Jobs are the future and we will feast on elf flesh! Trump
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    I dont think Warren comes off as someone that cynical. Even though i might not agree, Im sure she has a respactable reason for her ”plans”. 

She isnt Joe ”lets write something up quickly” Biden or Donald ”Urukhai hear my call - your coal Jobs are the future and we will feast on elf flesh! Trump
    Yes,  she just flat takes Bernie's platform.  And it may not be cynical,  but it's absolutely pandering. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:

Yes,  she just flat takes Bernie's platform.  And it may not be cynical,  but it's absolutely pandering. 
    So you are saying she hasn’t been consistent through the years in her beliefs?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:

Not when she was a Republican.  You know she was a Republican,  right?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:

Yes. 

But I once listened to Staind. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. She doesn't steal anything from Bernie. She is presenting her own well-thought out beliefs and plans, and they are ones that she has been talking about for years. That her views happen to overlap with some of Bernie's isn't pandering in the slightest. They certainly reside on the same side of the fence and always have. What make Warren superior is that her ideas about how to deal with the problems they both see are better organized.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. She doesn't steal anything from Bernie. She is presenting her own well-thought out beliefs and plans, and they are ones that she has been talking about for years. That her views happen to overlap with some of Bernie's isn't pandering in the slightest. They certainly reside on the same side of the fence and always have. What make Warren superior is that her ideas about how to deal with the problems they both see are better organized.
    So she's been advocating for erasing student debt for years?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:

Yes. 

Therefore she hasn't been consistent her whole life.  I have no issue with a politician changing their view.  In fact it would concern me if anyone had the same views their whole lives.  Warren is pandering to the youth vote just like Bernie did.  It's politics. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:

So, she shows personal growth, then. 

Are you trying to argue that someone who has been a registered Dem for 23 years isn’t really a dem? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:

Yes. 

Therefore she hasn't been consistent her whole life.  I have no issue with a politician changing their view.  In fact it would concern me if anyone had the same views their whole lives.  Warren is pandering to the youth vote just like Bernie did.  It's politics. 
    Oh - she hasn’t been consistent ALL OF HER LIFE so then she can’t be considered consistent. 

Well.... ok....
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited June 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:

So she's been advocating for erasing student debt for years?
    Yes, she has been talking about making sure students graduate debt-free, as well as lowering or eliminating student loan debt, for years.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
This discussion has been closed.