Options

Have we lost the ability to engage in public discourse/ reasonable debate?

124»

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    PJ_Soul said:
    benjs said:
    Please point to a time you could engage civilly in most political discussion.  There has never been a time.  People have their team and they stick with their team blindly no matter what...

Are you blindly sticking with your team of naysayers no matter what on this topic then?
    You have also proven my point.  I just made an observation and you continue with a personal jab.  
    he didn't prove your point in the slightest. you missed his point. you stated "people have their team and they stick with their team blindly no matter what". so does that mean you are sticking to your team as well by making this statement?
    I do not have a team duh.  Double duh, I have voted for all 4 political parties in Canada.  WTF is the matter with you, its just general statement.  And most people stick with their team...I don't.  Have you paid attention at all?  I think most politicians are corrupt and crooked.

Fuck some of you people can twist shit up into a knot without reason...and sure as hell don't need to comment on everything I say.  I don't agree, then move the fuck on...are you capable?  Or do you just like piling on because that makes you feel good.  I'll go at you all day if you want.  One minute you are full drama, my nerves can't take this place to picking arguments...make up your fucking mind...
    Yeah, conversations like this. This is the kind of thing ruining this forum.
    it's not the conversation ruining this forum. it's the overreaction and then personal assault. 
    That's what I meant.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    gotcha
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited March 2019
    Personal attacks are just not okay. It is possible to attack opinions and viewpoints and political positions without attacking and belittling the actual individual person expressing the opinion - the real person who very well might be fun to have drinks with. Some people don't seem willing or able to separate the two.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    benjs said:
    Please point to a time you could engage civilly in most political discussion.  There has never been a time.  People have their team and they stick with their team blindly no matter what...

Are you blindly sticking with your team of naysayers no matter what on this topic then?
    You have also proven my point.  I just made an observation and you continue with a personal jab.  
    There's around five people a few posts up discussing how we used to engage civilly in political discussion on here. I'm one of them. That speaks to your first two statements being wrong (in addition to being so confidently delivered). So yes, you may be part of four political parties in Canada, but the team I'm referring to is actually "won't admit when I'm wrong, but will lash out at others extensively when confronted with that option". 

In spite of your aggressive direct message to me, and your aggressive stance with HFD, I will not obey you and ignore false statements. I'd expect and welcome the same treatment if roles were reversed. 

This doesn't have to be ugly either, and if you consider my message ugly in light of what I've written, I'm happy to be taught why it was and fix that in my conduct. This can be a good place or it can be a bad place - we get to choose.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited March 2019
    I blame Canada... for pretty much everything  :)
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    Man this is priceless.  Can't even get past 3 pages without people cursing someone out, other's saying "the other side" lacks decency, another saying they have less than half a brain, and another making a point and then saying "not debatable".  

So I guess my answer to this question is, in the online/written form I do believe you can have reasonable debate from people that disagree...it's not likely though.  It becomes less likely once you have people that find others that agree with them and build a pack.  It becomes less likely when certain behaviors from individual with certain opinions is ignored while the opposing viewpoints same behaviors result in interventions.

Probably a good 10% chance...and I do not have any data to back that up.  Though I imagine if we went through this forum alone that10% might be high.
    It begs the question, "Have we lost the ability to engage in discourse/ reasonable debate", doesn't it?

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 726
    no...how can you? people don't listen anymore. label and dismiss doesn't make for good chats
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    my2hands said:
    Why would you do that when everyone knows it's  Obama's fault.
    Except when it's Hillarys fault
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    Man this is priceless.  Can't even get past 3 pages without people cursing someone out, other's saying "the other side" lacks decency, another saying they have less than half a brain, and another making a point and then saying "not debatable".  

So I guess my answer to this question is, in the online/written form I do believe you can have reasonable debate from people that disagree...it's not likely though.  It becomes less likely once you have people that find others that agree with them and build a pack.  It becomes less likely when certain behaviors from individual with certain opinions is ignored while the opposing viewpoints same behaviors result in interventions.

Probably a good 10% chance...and I do not have any data to back that up.  Though I imagine if we went through this forum alone that10% might be high.
    It begs the question, "Have we lost the ability to engage in discourse/ reasonable debate", doesn't it?

Fucking logic.  I HATE IT!  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    my2hands said:
    Finally!  Some goddamn civil discourse around this place! :lol: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    my2hands said:
    We've been coming after you guys for awhile now, lol!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Canadian_Conspiracy

(Despite what wiki says, it's a documentary, not a mockumentary, lol!)
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    my2hands said:
    We've been coming after you guys for awhile now, lol!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Canadian_Conspiracy

(Despite what wiki says, it's a documentary, not a mockumentary, lol!)
    "Now that we've got the Ponderosa secured we're going to occupy the greater Lake Tahoe region.  After that, all of the west and then, with any luck... AMERICA!"
    -Lorne Greene

:lol: