Options

Have we lost the ability to engage in public discourse/ reasonable debate?

Comments

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    So I think perhaps part of the problem are statements like "most of the right...human decency" and "anyone with half a brain..." thinks like me...

I think statements like that ignore the potential of the opposing or even just differing voice.  They look to try and make that differing voice stupid or even keep that differing voice from speaking up.

Amen
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,518
    So I think perhaps part of the problem are statements like "most of the right...human decency" and "anyone with half a brain..." thinks like me...

I think statements like that ignore the potential of the opposing or even just differing voice.  They look to try and make that differing voice stupid or even keep that differing voice from speaking up.

see the entire cpac. 

Not debatable. .
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    benjs said:
    Please point to a time you could engage civilly in most political discussion.  There has never been a time.  People have their team and they stick with their team blindly no matter what...

Are you blindly sticking with your team of naysayers no matter what on this topic then?
    You have also proven my point.  I just made an observation and you continue with a personal jab.  
    he didn't prove your point in the slightest. you missed his point. you stated "people have their team and they stick with their team blindly no matter what". so does that mean you are sticking to your team as well by making this statement?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    Smellyman said:

see the entire cpac. 

Not debatable. .
    Thanks for adding another term used that hurts public discourse... "not debatable" to clearly a topic that could be debated by reasonable people.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I personally think the main problem here that didn't used to exist so much is simply people being way more mean and much more willing to throw personal insults and to demean others on a completely personal, one-on-one level, and then people reacting to it. I think dialogue would go just fine no matter how much we all disagreed with each other's views if the meanness and snark and constant pestering and so-called sarcasm (insults in poor disguises) would go away. There is altogether too much actual personal dislike here, being shared way too openly, and it's just rude.
    this place was way "meaner" a long time ago. then it went pay to post and it weeded out most of the assholes. the mods went into overdrive. many of the assholes have been banned or just left. some still remain. 

as cincy pointed out, many people leave so little room for discussion that it gets frustrating. 

I do find it interesting, your entire post seems to go in direct contradiction to a previous post where you said that too many people are way too sensitive and take things too personally. and no, I'm not trying a "gotcha moment". Just trying to understand my perceived difference in  your opinion from then to now. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    benjs said:
    Please point to a time you could engage civilly in most political discussion.  There has never been a time.  People have their team and they stick with their team blindly no matter what...

Are you blindly sticking with your team of naysayers no matter what on this topic then?
    You have also proven my point.  I just made an observation and you continue with a personal jab.  
    he didn't prove your point in the slightest. you missed his point. you stated "people have their team and they stick with their team blindly no matter what". so does that mean you are sticking to your team as well by making this statement?
    I do not have a team duh.  Double duh, I have voted for all 4 political parties in Canada.  WTF is the matter with you, its just general statement.  And most people stick with their team...I don't.  Have you paid attention at all?  I think most politicians are corrupt and crooked.

Fuck some of you people can twist shit up into a knot without reason...and sure as hell don't need to comment on everything I say.  I don't agree, then move the fuck on...are you capable?  Or do you just like piling on because that makes you feel good.  I'll go at you all day if you want.  One minute you are full drama, my nerves can't take this place to picking arguments...make up your fucking mind...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Smellyman said:

see the entire cpac. 

Not debatable. .
    So because they are a bunch of self-righteous assholes that pound their fists that they are right and the other side is dumb, weak, or the enemy........... we should do the same, just from the other side of the spectrum?
  • Options
    benjs said:

I do not have a team duh.  Double duh, I have voted for all 4 political parties in Canada.  WTF is the matter with you, its just general statement.  And most people stick with their team...I don't.  Have you paid attention at all?  I think most politicians are corrupt and crooked.

Fuck some of you people can twist shit up into a knot without reason...and sure as hell don't need to comment on everything I say.  I don't agree, then move the fuck on...are you capable?  Or do you just like piling on because that makes you feel good.  I'll go at you all day if you want.  One minute you are full drama, my nerves can't take this place to picking arguments...make up your fucking mind...
    yikes. all you had to add was "I don't", which you did there. not sure why you had to go all ballistic. 

it's called a discussion. you made a generalized statement. benjs asked for clarification/challenged you on it. and then you whine about it/tell people not to comment on it? 

every time you get challenged on anything by more than one person you go nuclear and claim you are being bullied and throw personal insults around. jesus, talk about drama. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    benjs said:

yikes. all you had to add was "I don't", which you did there. not sure why you had to go all ballistic. 

it's called a discussion. you made a generalized statement. benjs asked for clarification/challenged you on it. and then you whine about it/tell people not to comment on it? 

every time you get challenged on anything by more than one person you go nuclear and claim you are being bullied and throw personal insults around. jesus, talk about drama. 
    Why don't you just fucking move on.  Are you capable?  You take every opportunity to pile on people.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    benjs said:

Why don't you just fucking move on.  Are you capable?  You take every opportunity to pile on people.  
    guy 1: punches guy 2
    guy 2: hey, WTF?
    guy 1: just move on. are you capable?  

sure, makes perfect sense. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Man this is priceless.  Can't even get past 3 pages without people cursing someone out, other's saying "the other side" lacks decency, another saying they have less than half a brain, and another making a point and then saying "not debatable".  

So I guess my answer to this question is, in the online/written form I do believe you can have reasonable debate from people that disagree...it's not likely though.  It becomes less likely once you have people that find others that agree with them and build a pack.  It becomes less likely when certain behaviors from individual with certain opinions is ignored while the opposing viewpoints same behaviors result in interventions.

Probably a good 10% chance...and I do not have any data to back that up.  Though I imagine if we went through this forum alone that10% might be high.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Man this is priceless.  Can't even get past 3 pages without people cursing someone out, other's saying "the other side" lacks decency, another saying they have less than half a brain, and another making a point and then saying "not debatable".  

So I guess my answer to this question is, in the online/written form I do believe you can have reasonable debate from people that disagree...it's not likely though.  It becomes less likely once you have people that find others that agree with them and build a pack.  It becomes less likely when certain behaviors from individual with certain opinions is ignored while the opposing viewpoints same behaviors result in interventions.

Probably a good 10% chance...and I do not have any data to back that up.  Though I imagine if we went through this forum alone that10% might be high.
    agree 100%. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Team Cincy

Is that how this works? :)
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    Team Cincy

he and I have disagreed on many things. but we're never dicks to each other and can do it respectfully. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    my2hands said:
    Team Cincy

Hahaha be careful, I'm not the front runner here. ;)

FYI - PM me your address and I'll send the official team jersey and hat.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,673

It begs the question, "Have we lost the ability to engage in discourse/ reasonable debate", doesn't it?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    brianlux said:

It begs the question, "Have we lost the ability to engage in discourse/ reasonable debate", doesn't it?
    Good thread, Brian! This thread is a microcosm of the bigger problem, and amazingly answered its own question within the first few pages. Sad but illustrative. Go Team Cincy.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,673
    jeffbr said:
    brianlux said:

Good thread, Brian! This thread is a microcosm of the bigger problem, and amazingly answered its own question within the first few pages. Sad but illustrative. Go Team Cincy.
    Thank you Jeff.

And to all, my intent here is not to make myself look great.  This thread speaks to me as well.   I can do better.  To varying degrees, I think we all can do better. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,281
    Debate is good & dandy but if you try to debate a Baffoon supporter they will never see the other side to them there’s only one side ..amongst us should be easy, we argue but I don’t see it as a huge problem 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,676
    jeffbr said:
    brianlux said:

The Bengals suck. AGAIN......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,512

Sometimes it is the case though. It's not like every opinion or viewpoint deserves respect, and not every differing voice has potential to be anything but stupid. It's only the right to hold an opinion that automatically deserves respect (at least most of the time), and there is no way anyone here can ever keep someone else from speaking up.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    I personally think the main problem here that didn't used to exist so much is simply people being way more mean and much more willing to throw personal insults and to demean others on a completely personal, one-on-one level, and then people reacting to it. I think dialogue would go just fine no matter how much we all disagreed with each other's views if the meanness and snark and constant pestering and so-called sarcasm (insults in poor disguises) would go away. There is altogether too much actual personal dislike here, being shared way too openly, and it's just rude.
    this place was way "meaner" a long time ago. then it went pay to post and it weeded out most of the assholes. the mods went into overdrive. many of the assholes have been banned or just left. some still remain. 

as cincy pointed out, many people leave so little room for discussion that it gets frustrating. 

I do find it interesting, your entire post seems to go in direct contradiction to a previous post where you said that too many people are way too sensitive and take things too personally. and no, I'm not trying a "gotcha moment". Just trying to understand my perceived difference in  your opinion from then to now. 
    There is nothing contradictory. Having a thick skin relates to people discussing the topics and being able to take opposition to opinions and topical viewpoints - taking disagreements with their views to personally (not to mention the constant habit of changing the discussion from the topic to how someone expresses themselves - that is what's really ruining this forum). NEVER when it relates to personal insults and being mean to someone on that level. Nobody should be expected to put up personal harassment and personal insults and aggressive digs on a personal level here. And when I say things are meaner than they used to be, I mean within the past year or two, getting gradually worse until now - I'm not talking about ancient history.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    benjs said:

Yeah, conversations like this. This is the kind of thing ruining this forum.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Sometimes it is the case though. It's not like every opinion or viewpoint deserves respect, and not every differing voice has potential to be anything but stupid. It's only the right to hold an opinion that automatically deserves respect (at least most of the time), and there is no way anyone here can ever keep someone else from speaking up.
    I understand what you are saying...to a degree.  The problem is people to what you are saying without finding out more first.  

As far as "no way anyone here can ever keep someone else from speaking up"...I think you know what I mean.  There are a lot of people that leave cause they just don't want to deal with it anymore.  You see that, yes?  Running people off is eliminating their voice.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

There is nothing contradictory here. People having a thick skin and being able to take it does not make mean things nicer. Also, having a thick skin relates to people discussing the topics when I say that, NEVER when it relates to personal insults and being mean to someone. And when I say things are meaner than they used to be, I mean within the past year or two, getting gradually worse until now - I'm not talking about ancient history.
    well, I disagree. of  course it doesn't make mean comments nicer, haha. I think making a statement seemingly "complaining" that people are way too sensitive but then also "complaining" (I used that word as I'm struggling for a better one at the moment) that people are too mean is a contradiction. 

edit: I see your post wasn't finished by the time I quoted it, so just an added comment: I honestly recall your "too sensitive" comment coming on the heels of someone being offended by something you or another poster said to them they interpreted as personal. But it was some time ago, so who knows. 

I wouldn't consider a few years ago ancient history, but alright. 

But I digress......

is it possible that is a direct correlation to who is currently POTUS? Now, I'm not blaming him directly, well, at least not entirely. I think the rules have changed re: actual discourse. Being a mainly liberal forum, is it possible that people are quick to be more caustic because of the political climate at present, whether that be a direct result of how POTUS conducts himself or just the fact that liberals are constantly angered at his and his supporters' antics?

This is really the only forum I go to, so I don't know what the climate is like elsewhere. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited March 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

There is nothing contradictory here. People having a thick skin and being able to take it does not make mean things nicer. Also, having a thick skin relates to people discussing the topics when I say that, NEVER when it relates to personal insults and being mean to someone. And when I say things are meaner than they used to be, I mean within the past year or two, getting gradually worse until now - I'm not talking about ancient history.
    well, I disagree. of  course it doesn't make mean comments nicer, haha. I think making a statement seemingly "complaining" that people are way too sensitive but then also "complaining" (I used that word as I'm struggling for a better one at the moment) that people are too mean is a contradiction. 

But I digress......

is it possible that is a direct correlation to who is currently POTUS? Now, I'm not blaming him directly, well, at least not entirely. I think the rules have changed re: actual discourse. Being a mainly liberal forum, is it possible that people are quick to be more caustic because of the political climate at present, whether that be a direct result of how POTUS conducts himself or just the fact that liberals are constantly angered at his and his supporters' antics?

This is really the only forum I go to, so I don't know what the climate is like elsewhere. 
    Okay, then you don't understand what I am saying maybe, because it's not a contradiction. Like I said, the difference is between having a thick skin in debate, and dealing with PERSONAL insults. I think there is a very clear divide there, and I have always been clear about that divide. People taking things that aren't meant personally personal is having thin skin. People reacting to actual personal insults is another thing altogether.

I do not think it's about Trump. I think it's about the people in this forum.

It was more than a few years ago when this wasn't a member's only forum.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

But I digress......

Okay, then you don't understand what I am saying maybe, because it's not a contradiction. Like I said, the difference is between having a thick skin in debate, and dealing with PERSONAL insults. I think there is a very clear divide there, and I have always been clear about that divide.

And I edited my response to you after the fact.

But anyway....having been around here during the Obama presidency, there is a very noticeable shift in how people talk to each other here. And not just here....in other forms of social media. 

I rarely, if ever, had anyone attack me personally during those years, save for one person (who many people also had issues with), until the last while. 

I'm not convinced the timing is merely coincidence. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

But I digress......

Okay, then you don't understand what I am saying maybe, because it's not a contradiction. Like I said, the difference is between having a thick skin in debate, and dealing with PERSONAL insults. I think there is a very clear divide there, and I have always been clear about that divide.

But anyway....having been around here during the Obama presidency, there is a very noticeable shift in how people talk to each other here. And not just here....in other forms of social media. 

I rarely, if ever, had anyone attack me personally during those years, save for one person (who many people also had issues with), until the last while. 

I also edited my response. ;)

I think the difference between Obama and Trump years is just that most posters cleared out because the topics and the entire situation is just too stressful and divisive, and they mostly cleared out because of that, leaving only the most stalwart debaters. Unfortunately that also means that a large number of those who kind of helped keep shit balanced and reasonable disappeared. I think the ratio of aggressive posters changed radically, making the entire atmosphere, well, aggressive! So yeah, I guess you're right that it's related to Trump in that he's too awful for a lot of people to even talk about!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

But I digress......

I also edited my response. ;)

I think the difference between Obama and Trump years is just that most posters cleared out because the topics and the entire situation is just too stressful and divisive, and they mostly cleared out because of that, leaving only the most stalwart debaters. Unfortunately that also means that a large number of those who kind of helped keep shit balanced and reasonable disappeared. I think the ratio of aggressive posters changed radically, making the entire atmosphere, well, aggressive! So yeah, I guess you're right that it's related to Trump in that he's too awful for a lot of people to even talk about!
    I know. I can't keep up with all of your editing. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    benjs said:

Yeah, conversations like this. This is the kind of thing ruining this forum.
    it's not the conversation ruining this forum. it's the overreaction and then personal assault. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD