Options

Otto Warmbier

Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/long-reads/article/2169308/otto-warmbier-what-happened-north-korean-jail-led

Interesting article of a very sad situation.

I really hope tRump doesn't tweet insults at Warmbier's parents.
Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana

Comments

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    it's a shame what happened to that kid......... but it's a risk being a CIA asset
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Just like I did not feel sympathy for the fool who got killed on that island, I have very little sympathy for this dude.  You go to a place like NK, then you should assume bad things can happen...and they did in this case. Maybe listen to the travel warnings that the government issue.  May sound cold, but folks like him put themselves in harms way, and I sure many do this thinking your government can bail their ass...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    Just like I did not feel sympathy for the fool who got killed on that island, I have very little sympathy for this dude.  You go to a place like NK, then you should assume bad things can happen...and they did in this case. Maybe listen to the travel warnings that the government issue.  May sound cold, but folks like him put themselves in harms way, and I sure many do this thinking your government can bail their ass...
    That kid is from right down the street from where I am now.  I feel sympathy for him.  I don't think any normal person actually expects that kinda shit to happen.

Trump backing down on that is utterly ridiculous.  As we already know, he is susceptible to flattery...so that is one of the tactics he uses with others.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    That kid is from right down the street from where I am now.  I feel sympathy for him.  I don't think any normal person actually expects that kinda shit to happen.

Trump backing down on that is utterly ridiculous.  As we already know, he is susceptible to flattery...so that is one of the tactics he uses with others.  
    Then he is just dumb.  Why do you think the government warns people about going to these places.  They do not put these warnings up because they have nothing better to do.  They warn you because these are legitimately dangerous places.  I would also suggest, not breaking the law in these places.  The fucking guy gave NK a reason to arrest him...did this Otto fellow and his family and live under a rock.  NK does not care what happens to US citizens...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Then he is just dumb.  Why do you think the government warns people about going to these places.  They do not put these warnings up because they have nothing better to do.  They warn you because these are legitimately dangerous places.  I would also suggest, not breaking the law in these places.  The fucking guy gave NK a reason to arrest him...did this Otto fellow and his family and live under a rock.  NK does not care what happens to US citizens...
    I understand.  And I still feel bad for him and his family.  The punishment certainly didnt fit the crime.  NK is a piece of shit.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    It's easy to sit here in the cheap seats and call him an idiot.  First and foremost, the idea that he deserved the fate he eventually go is way off base.  But I cannot imagine not having sympathy for the kid...I've done stupid things, too...kudos to those of you that have not.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    It's not a cheap shot.  It's called using "common sense"...and he clearly didn't.  He paid the ultimate price.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    We, myself included, often call someone dumb or stupid when we really just mean they committed a stupid or dumb act.  You don't have to be an idiot to make an idiotic decision from time to time.

A nice little discussion with Brian here made me realize how important that distinction is.  I still fail from time to time but I'm trying to be better at ensuring the distinction is made.  

I don't think the kid is dumb or an idiot.  Naive and made a dumb choice? Probably.
    Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    It's not much different than when I'm in a National Park and see some fool getting out of there car to try to get as close to a bear for a picture.  Common sense tells you it's a bad idea, people still do it...if the bear eats them, I'm like "oh well" ... there is a reason the park tells people to stay in your vehicle.

Also, understand, I think the world is way overpopulated...so I am fine with nature weeding these people.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    I feel terrible for this family he went on a school trip did he make a mistake did he deserve to die for fuck no , I’m not down with any of you here stating you don’t feel for him or the family ! Fuck NK and totally fuck this president...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Did anyone here read OP's article?
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I feel terrible for this family he went on a school trip did he make a mistake did he deserve to die for fuck no , I’m not down with any of you here stating you don’t feel for him or the family ! Fuck NK and totally fuck this president...
    I'm with you, Jose.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/long-reads/article/2169308/otto-warmbier-what-happened-north-korean-jail-led

Thanks for sharing by the way. I learned a lot and based on the evidence I'm inclined to believe it was a suicide attempt.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    We realize he was a CIA asset, right?

Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    my2hands said:

I love that people think he was just a naive kid jaunting across North Korea for kicks 
    Am I supposed to believe you or do you have any evidence of that claim?

And as an aside, your use of the word love is strange.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    But if course what happened to him is horrible, shouldn't happen to anybody, want to be clear about that 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    We, myself included, often call someone dumb or stupid when we really just mean they committed a stupid or dumb act.  You don't have to be an idiot to make an idiotic decision from time to time.

A nice little discussion with Brian here made me realize how important that distinction is.  I still fail from time to time but I'm trying to be better at ensuring the distinction is made.  

I don't think the kid is dumb or an idiot.  Naive and made a dumb choice? Probably.
    based on the article, it sounds like he was incredibly naive as to NK's history and present. it's incredible he went there seemingly not researching it at all. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:

Thanks for sharing by the way. I learned a lot and based on the evidence I'm inclined to believe it was a suicide attempt.
    absolutely was my thought too even before that was mentioned as a possibility in the article. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    It's not a cheap shot.  It's called using "common sense"...and he clearly didn't.  He paid the ultimate price.  
    onwis didn't say cheap shot. he said 'from the cheap seats'. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited March 2019
    It's not much different than when I'm in a National Park and see some fool getting out of there car to try to get as close to a bear for a picture.  Common sense tells you it's a bad idea, people still do it...if the bear eats them, I'm like "oh well" ... there is a reason the park tells people to stay in your vehicle.

Also, understand, I think the world is way overpopulated...so I am fine with nature weeding these people.
    it amazes me when people say things like this. if it were your kid, would you still be ok with 'nature weeding these people'? 

i often joke about 'darwin awards' and shit, but never ever do i believe anyone ever deserved to die for careless/naive actions. i hope i never get to that point. 

i easily could have died several times over as a teen for all the stupid shit i did. i doubt anyone here didn't do stuff like that too. some people are lucky and some aren't. it's as simple as that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:

absolutely was my thought too even before that was mentioned as a possibility in the article. 
    Same here. The timing, North Korea's motive and the nature of the injury makes it definitely a possibility.

• Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

Same here. The timing, North Korea's motive and the nature of the injury makes it definitely a possibility.

i just wonder how, though? and with how odd his injury was, basically in a vegatative state with no physical injuries that anyone could detect, what would he have done do you think?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Probably tried to hang himself. 

• Options
    true. i just wonder, he must have been not left alone at all in the time leading up to his 'illness'. i wouldn't imagine he would have been, anyway. but who knows. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,547
    my2hands said:

Nope
    Clinton Campaign
  • Options
    my2hands said:

source?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    true. i just wonder, he must have been not left alone at all in the time leading up to his 'illness'. i wouldn't imagine he would have been, anyway. but who knows. 
    He probably wasn't supposed to be left alone but likely some guards fucked up and those poor bastards are likely either dead or rotting in a prison. This Kim apparently doesn't fuck around.

All pretty tragic when you consider he would likely have been released in good time.

To hear about how other prisoners committed suicide upon returning really adds to the theory.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    He probably wasn't supposed to be left alone but likely some guards fucked up and those poor bastards are likely either dead or rotting in a prison. This Kim apparently doesn't fuck around.

All pretty tragic when you consider he would likely have been released in good time.

To hear about how other prisoners committed suicide upon returning really adds to the theory.
    totally. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    What people are forgetting is that once he was captive he wasn’t allowed to take phone calls from his parents at 21 what do you think he felt like ? Maybe if he was allowed to talk to them they could if talked him into just waiting to be released but that’s water under bridge , I’m not believing that he tried to commit suicide not for a 2nd he was murdered there in NK and the evil rocket prick is responsible for his death !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    What people are forgetting is that once he was captive he wasn’t allowed to take phone calls from his parents at 21 what do you think he felt like ? Maybe if he was allowed to talk to them they could if talked him into just waiting to be released but that’s water under bridge , I’m not believing that he tried to commit suicide not for a 2nd he was murdered there in NK and the evil rocket prick is responsible for his death !
    Did you read the article? the evidence simply does not support that theory. the kims are horrible disgusting people who commit despicable atrocities on their own people, but evidence shows they don't treat foreign prisoners the same way. i'm not saying that gives him a pass. i'm saying that it's unlikely that they are responsible for otto's death. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com