Options

Poll--The Weakest Link: Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Second Helping' Round 1

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
edited March 2019 in Other Music
We have crowned our 2nd Champion and now will move onto another critically acclaimed album.
Back In Black Champion - Hells Bells
Led Zeppelin IV - When the Levee Breaks

We will play this time to determine the GREATEST song on Lynyrd Skynyrd's album 'Second Helping'.

For anyone new to the game:
You are going to pick the song that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 3 days I remove the two (2) songs with the most votes.
We will then move on to Round 2. - Remember you are voting to eliminate songs from contention.

Lets have fun with this. Remember debating and discussing why your right and others are wrong is always fun.  

Poll--The Weakest Link: Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Second Helping' Round 1 28 votes

Sweet Home Alabama
7%
my2handsrgambs 2 votes
I Need You
39%
pjhawksbootlegger10josevolutionmfc2006pjsteelerfanWobbieDewieCoxGern BlanstenF Me In The BrainJason7192JojoRice 11 votes
Don't Ask Me Questions
3%
hauntingfamiliar 1 vote
Working For MCA
14%
Horse2345RS151862MedozKOffSheGoes35 4 votes
The Ballad Of Curtis Loew
7%
BLACK35SmallestOceans 2 votes
Swamp Music
17%
Poncierdankinded243421Thirty Bills Unpaidnjnancy 5 votes
The Needle And The Spoon
7%
tbergsjjflash 2 votes
Call Me The Breeze
3%
madtowndave 1 vote
Post edited by MedozK on

Comments

• Options
    Working For MCA

Second Helping is the second studio album by Lynyrd Skynyrd, released April 15, 1974. It featured the band's biggest hit single, "Sweet Home Alabama," the song reached #8 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in August 1974. The album reached #12 on the Billboard album charts. It was certified Gold on September 20, 1974, Platinum and 2x Platinum on July 21, 1987 by the RIAA.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    edited March 2019
    Dang. I don't know very much LS...obviously SHA, Freebird, the creepy song that says "What's YOUR Name, Little Girl?" ...
    I'll try to give it a spin.
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Working For MCA
    rummy said:
    Dang. I don't know very much LS...obviously SHA, Freebird, the creepy song that says "What's My Name, Little Girl?" ...
    I'll try to give it a spin.
    IMO, their sophomore album was their best (kinda like PJ). I don't think there is one bad song on it.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,232
    The Needle And The Spoon
    Not a huge fan of LS. Definitely enjoy their greatest hits, but beyond that I haven't listened to much of their stuff. I'll have to run through these to decide. Only know half of these songs. None of my favorites by them are on here.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I Need You
    Their classic albums are all way more hit than miss. Lots of great guitar interplay and good lyrics for the time. Would've aged as a classic band a little better without the Confederate flag featuring so prominently in their promo material.
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    The Ballad Of Curtis Loew
    Da whooo? Yeah I only know about half these songs, will have to listen front to back.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,689
    Sadly, I don't know enough of these songs to chime in here.

But since the Zep IV thread ended before I could sneak this in... (and holy smokes, Levee won!)...

I just finished listening to the 2014 Zep IV re-issue and, thankfully, it sounds and plays great!   I was especially impressed with how Stairway sounds- gives me a long lost and renewed appreciation for the song.  Sounds so much better than the old worn beater I had and passed on.  It's a keeper!

Anyway, will be interesting to see if something here tops that best known (and admittedly excellent) song, "Sweet Home Alabama".  (And of course, yes, we still Neil Young around anyhow!)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Don't Ask Me Questions
    Speaking of Skynyrd this Freebird scene from that movie Elizabethtown caught me so off guard the first time I saw it and is freakin' priceless.

https://youtu.be/1F2ZoqbMAO0

• Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Don't Ask Me Questions
    Speaking of Skynyrd this Freebird scene from that movie Elizabethtown caught me so off guard the first time I saw it and is freakin' priceless.

Edit: It really starts getting good around the 2:09 mark, but the build up is everything.
  • Options
    Working For MCA

Great scene!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I gotta sit this one out. Can’t fucking stand Skynyrd. Everything is the weakest link. See ya in 2 weeks.

Congrats to Levee! 
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Swamp Music
    I like Skynyrd - a lot. There are 3 songs I need to listen to in order to know which I want to vote off cause the rest are golden for now. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    I Need You
    I think this may be a miss for many here.  While I do appreciate a lot of their songs, and I loved the documentary, I'm a Yankee.  
    Did give me a reason to listen to the album this morning....many songs sound similar.  A few that I really like...and, well, the anthem.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    I Need You
    I know we used to listen to them all the time , I’m going with least recognizable songs ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Swamp Music
    The first song I ever played live in front of an audience was “Sweet Home Alabama.” It was part of my stepbrother’s garage band repertoire, and they let me sit in on drums for this song during one of their shows at my grandma’s redneck bar. The drummer was always nicer to me than my loser stepbrother, and he taught me how to play this beat and gave me a few easy fills. I was 9. 

Anyway, not ready to vote just yet, but having grown up in a redneck bar in the south, I heard me a lot of Skynyrd. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    I m gonna sit this one out.   See you guys for the next one.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Swamp Music
    Still not ready to vote, but I've gotta say, it may be a standard and lyrically trite redneck blues song, but the guitar intro, solo, bridge and crying outro are so goddamn tight in "I Need You." I honestly don't know what the hell is wrong with some of you people.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,631
    Swamp Music
     Ya

i just listened to that one and it is a decent guitar solo/piano jam away from a VERY nice song 

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,835
    The Needle And The Spoon
    dankind said:
    Still not ready to vote, but I've gotta say, it may be a standard and lyrically trite redneck blues song, but the guitar intro, solo, bridge and crying outro are so goddamn tight in "I Need You." I honestly don't know what the hell is wrong with some of you people.
    I hear ya, DK....love some "I Need You"....great song :plus_one:
  • Options
    Swamp Music
    jjflash said:
    dankind said:
    I hear ya, DK....love some "I Need You"....great song :plus_one:
    Oh yeah. Where's @lolobugg ?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Working For MCA
    dankind said:
    "I Need You" is one of my favorites.
  • Options
    Working For MCA
    If you love guitar interplay, I don't know how anyone can't be a fan of Skynyrd.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    I Need You
    MedozK said:
    dankind said:
    I am not a die hard fan so I am sure some of my picks might burn for some.
    For me, this was the one that I liked the least when I played.  It would not be in the top 20-25 or so songs that I know and really dig on by LS.
    Apologies in advance to all of the die hards who cringe at a casual fan's picks.  :) 

• Options
    Swamp Music
    MedozK said:
    dankind said:
    For me, this was the one that I liked the least when I played.  It would not be in the top 20-25 or so songs that I know and really dig on by LS.
    Apologies in advance to all of the die hards who cringe at a casual fan's picks.  :) 

Just don't let the boys on the bayou know your crime. You might not make it back from your next fishing excursion.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,631
    Swamp Music

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    I Need You
    dankind said:
    MedozK said:
    dankind said:

Just don't let the boys on the bayou know your crime. You might not make it back from your next fishing excursion.
    That is how I know so many songs by LS to start with.  ;)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    I gotta sit this one out. Can’t fucking stand Skynyrd. Everything is the weakest link. See ya in 2 weeks.

Congrats to Levee! 
    Ditto. No way I'm listening to an entire Skynard album in order to participate in this one, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Swamp Music
    PJ_Soul said:

Congrats to Levee! 
    Ditto. No way I'm listening to an entire Skynard album in order to participate in this one, lol.
    https://youtu.be/59Hj7bp38f8
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    PJ_Soul said:

Congrats to Levee! 
    Agreed. I have never liked skynard.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Working For MCA
    Missing some great music.
This discussion has been closed.