Options

Poll--The Weakest Link: Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Second Helping' Round 1

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    I got nothing on this album so I'm out...
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Swamp Music
    MedozK said:
    Missing some great music.
    I feel like most people north of the Mason-Dixon line (not saying the people here, but it could apply) don't like the idea of Skynyrd. Hell, I don't like the idea of Skynyrd, and I'm from Skynyrd country and am a fan of their music. I'll admit that when I first saw the next poll pick, my initial thought was a record to rape your sister by, but that's just a perception and has nothing to do with the brilliance present in the grooves. I just think they're just a polarizing band in this polarized day and age.

But that wasn't always the case.

The music that they created on their first two albums -- I like their debut best ("Tuesday's Gone," "Simple Man") -- was goddamn solid, and Street Survivors ain't no slouch neither. I think all three of those at least went platinum, if not multiplatinum, so they were definitely dialed into the zeitgeist of the mid70s. And warming up for The Who didn't hurt.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    I Need You
    I almost typed something about my inability to participate because I was too busy boning my sister to the record - glad someone else went there first.  (I will follow!)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231
    The Needle And The Spoon
    We've gone from one of the most respected albums by any band ever to people talking about incest. Nice club you got here...
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I've just never really liked southern rock in general, Skynyrd arguably being the biggest band of the genre.  That whole "sound" just doesn't do anything for me but make me wish the song was over. Allman Brothers, Marshall Tucker, there's a song here or there I don't mind but again, don't like 99% of it.  ZZ Top, if they count, is about as tolerable as I get.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    dankind said:
    MedozK said:
    I feel like most people north of the Mason-Dixon line (not saying the people here, but it could apply) don't like the idea of Skynyrd. Hell, I don't like the idea of Skynyrd, and I'm from Skynyrd country and am a fan of their music. I'll admit that when I first saw the next poll pick, my initial thought was a record to rape your sister by, but that's just a perception and has nothing to do with the brilliance present in the grooves. I just think they're just a polarizing band in this polarized day and age.

The music that they created on their first two albums -- I like their debut best ("Tuesday's Gone," "Simple Man") -- was goddamn solid, and Street Survivors ain't no slouch neither. I think all three of those at least went platinum, if not multiplatinum, so they were definitely dialed into the zeitgeist of the mid70s. And warming up for The Who didn't hurt.
    I heard Free bird so many times as a kid that when I first heard Jump in The Fire I realized that the jam session at the end was a homage to this song.

This wasn't my era of music.  I learned Tuesday's gone from Metallica and only heard Simple Man after that. 

• Options
    Swamp Music
    dankind said:
    MedozK said:

I heard Free bird so many times as a kid that when I first heard Jump in The Fire I realized that the jam session at the end was a homage to this song.

This wasn't my era of music.  I learned Tuesday's gone from Metallica and only heard Simple Man after that. 

Hugely influential! If anyone actually takes the time to listen to the guitar textures of Second Helping, you'd be either lying or deaf if you didn't hear their influence on Stone and Mike -- sludgy, groovy riffs and piercing leads ("Workin for MCA," "The Needle and the Spoon"). I wonder if there's a YouTube video out there that just isolates the guitars.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Working For MCA
    tbergs said:
    We've gone from one of the most respected albums by any band ever to people talking about incest. Nice club you got here...
    Well at least we didn’t get into Zeps underage groupies... if it were today, they wouldn’t have made it to the 4th album.
  • Options
    Swamp Music
    https://youtu.be/Z5WXDnfEErE

Close your eyes, listen to the first 25 seconds of this, and tell me it doesn't sound like something that could be on a Lost Dogs 2.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Swamp Music
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    MedozK said:

Hugely influential! If anyone actually takes the time to listen to the guitar textures of Second Helping, you'd be either lying or deaf if you didn't hear their influence on Stone and Mike -- sludgy, groovy riffs and piercing leads ("Workin for MCA," "The Needle and the Spoon"). I wonder if there's a YouTube video out there that just isolates the guitars.
    I can't believe that people are straight out refusing to vote for a band because they're Southern Rock, not their era, rape my sister music....Zep and ACDC were okay though? I wouldn't refuse to vote on any album, it's about music. And if it's the Southern thing - I'm a  bleeding heart liberal Yankee who loves Skynyrd.  

They set the standard for a lot of guitar rock and it's the blues and without the blues there is no rock and roll. Not saying you have to like an album, but I can't believe people are just saying they will not listen to 50 minutes of music and vote.

But to each their own. 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Working For MCA
    njnancy said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    MedozK said:

I can't believe that people are straight out refusing to vote for a band because they're Southern Rock, not their era, rape my sister music....Zep and ACDC were okay though? I wouldn't refuse to vote on any album, it's about music. And if it's the Southern thing - I'm a  bleeding heart liberal Yankee who loves Skynyrd.  

They set the standard for a lot of guitar rock and it's the blues and without the blues there is no rock and roll. Not saying you have to like an album, but I can't believe people are just saying they will not listen to 50 minutes of music and vote.

But to each their own. 
    Yea, a whole lot of blues influenced music on this one. I
    agree that not everyone will like the same stuff, but I find it hard to not respect the art.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    Swamp Music
    @rr165892
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Sweet Home Alabama
    I think you folks should take this as an opportunity to try to listen to this album with fresh ear and an open mind.  Skip track 1 for the obvious reasons that you can already hear it in your head and the lyrics are cringey as fuck.
    Then listen to the rest as music fans and don't think about southern rock tropes and all the other notions attached to Skynard.  
    Put all that aside and you are left with some incredible talent and an album that is definitely greater than the southern schtick attached to it, and worthy of it' all-time great reputation.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    dankind said:

Close your eyes, listen to the first 25 seconds of this, and tell me it doesn't sound like something that could be on a Lost Dogs 2.
    Starts out like "Marker in the Sand", no?
  • Options
    Swamp Music
    rummy said:
    dankind said:

Indeed, it does. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Don't Ask Me Questions
    rummy said:
    dankind said:

Wowowowow.. that's badass. I never put that together before. I grew up on this stuff being raised in the south. Skynyrd was just part of it all. The good, the bad and the whatever life decided to throw at you. It gets on my nerves sometimes but not in a bad way. It's comfort music to me.. reminds me of hanging out on a boat all weekend, drinking beer and water skiiing. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    I Need You
    Saw them here Nassau coliseum 77 Nugent opened lol , Steve Gaines had just joined them for that last album combined with Collins & Rossington made for a really great lineup..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    edited March 2019
    dankind said:
    MedozK said:

A polarizing band in some ways, yes, but if Young and Van Zant were able to share mutual respect, maybe coming together can happen in strange ways.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,849
    I gotta sit this one out. Can’t fucking stand Skynyrd. Everything is the weakest link. See ya in 2 weeks.

Congrats to Levee! 
    sitting this one out as well since the only song i really know by them is sweet home
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    njnancy said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    MedozK said:

But to each their own. 
    For me it has nothing to do with the era, geographic region, politics, or ridiculous redneck cliches like “fuckin yer sister.” It’s not a southern thing, it’s a southern rock thing. It IS about the music, and it’s a style of music that I just don’t like.
  • Options
    The album was a good choice if for no other reason than it prompted some interesting discussion... even if many of those discussing are not voting, lol.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Working For MCA
    brianlux said:
    The album was a good choice if for no other reason than it prompted some interesting discussion... even if many of those discussing are not voting, lol.
    Agree, like I said in another 'Weakest Link' thread, these are about revisiting music you haven't listened to in a long time or taking the time to listen to an album you've never heard. Maybe to just expose yourself to different art. Some of these maybe like watching a movie that makes you feel uncomfortable... you may not necessarily enjoy the experience, but it doesn't mean its not good.
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Working For MCA
    I'm surprised by the results so far. I thought for sure 'Working for MCA' would be the runaway weakest link vote. 
  • Options
    Working For MCA
    dankind said:
    MedozK said:

I enjoyed the 'Tuesday's Gone' acoustic cover by Metallica. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did, because the best part about 'Tuesday's Gone' is listening to the layers of instrumentation.
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    brianlux said:
    Agree, like I said in another 'Weakest Link' thread, these are about revisiting music you haven't listened to in a long time or taking the time to listen to an album you've never heard. Maybe to just expose yourself to different art. Some of these maybe like watching a movie that makes you feel uncomfortable... you may not necessarily enjoy the experience, but it doesn't mean its not good.

edthumbs

• Options
    Working For MCA
    Round 1 will end today at 3 cst
  • Options
    Swamp Music
    Skynyrd is an awesome band.

Let me repeat... awesome.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited March 2019
    njnancy said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    MedozK said:

But to each their own. 
    For me it has nothing to do with the era, geographic region, politics, or ridiculous redneck cliches like “fuckin yer sister.” It’s not a southern thing, it’s a southern rock thing. It IS about the music, and it’s a style of music that I just don’t like.
    Exactly, me too. I already know what Skynard sounds like pretty well, and have heard this album (I would just have to listen again to rank the songs, which I just don't want to do). I simply don't like the sound of the music. There is nothing more to it (I don't even have a clue as to why people are talking about incest, and don't care).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231
    edited March 2019
    The Needle And The Spoon
    Giving the album a run through before I vote today. I get why some people don't like it, but some of my favorite southern rock sounds come from these guys. Free Bird, Sweet Home (As over played as it is, it's still awesome, especially if you've never heard it) Saturday Night Special, Gimme Back My Bullets, etc.

I am surprised by the I Need You votes here. That guitar solo is outstanding.
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Working For MCA
    PJ_Soul said:
    njnancy said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    MedozK said:

But to each their own. 
    Exactly, me too. I already know what Skynard sounds like pretty well, and have heard this album (I would just have to listen again to rank the songs, which I just don't want to do). I simply don't like the sound of the music. There is nothing more to it (I don't even have a clue as to why people are talking about incest, and don't care).
    You two have a lot in common. You should PM each other!
This discussion has been closed.