Should PJ ever do Super Bowl half-time show?

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124
    My dog would really hate missing out on his halftime walk.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Massive downvotes on the Youtube video I've read. 

ALL CRED LEVINE GOT AFTER THE CHRIS CORNELL SHOW FLUSHED DOWN THE DRAIN!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10 said:
    Hell no.  I can't see pj agreeing to lip synch.
    I'm going to see rhcp in three weeks, starting in Brisbane and ending in Auckland. There will be no lip synch. 
  • mcgruff10 said:
    After last nights performance I am doubling down on no way they should ever play the super bowl. 
    Agree 100% brother. Even the women were complaining about how bad he sounded. Of course, that all went out the door when the shirt came off. 

I feel with so many "artists" that turned ot down this year, and PJ's current path of activism,  there us no way they do this in the foreseeable future. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Maroon 5 with his shirt off looks like a Chipotle bag.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    Maroon 5 with his shirt off looks like a Chipotle bag.
    I don't know what that means, as I've never eaten at a Chipotle... but I will say that Adam Levine has a pretty fucking nice body! I don't think anyone can argue with that!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:
    Maroon 5 with his shirt off looks like a Chipotle bag.
    I don't know what that means, as I've never eaten at a Chipotle... but I will say that Adam Levine has a pretty fucking nice body! I don't think anyone can argue with that!
    I'm kinda glad I don't have a Chipotle in my town. That's $10 I don't need to spend 3-4x a week.  Cuz I totally would.
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,066
    Evenflow
    Betterman
    alive
    This is pretty much exactly what it should be if they ever did it
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    Yes , but they must only play Bugs
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
    yield2me said:
    Yes , but they must only play Bugs
    Lol. The only way I would support PJ paying the superbowl would be if they played Bee Girl, Bugs, FoxyMop, Red Dot, and Let Me Sleep.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,392
    The only thing worse than last nights game was Maroon 5.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    mcgruff10 said:
    Agreed! 

I find it so odd that people think Pearl Jam and the halftime show would be a good combination. 
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Agreed! 

I find it so odd that people think Pearl Jam and the halftime show would be a good combination. 
    I can’t imagine mike and stone pretending to
    play their instruments lol. 
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    Most definitely. They could use the exposure.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Agreed! 

well it was good enough for The Who, The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen and Tom Petty. If good enough combination for the legends i don't see why the combination wouldn't work for PJ.

Also remember they are supporters of the Seahawks so it's not like they are ignorant of the NFL.

that being said I don't think they would ever do it.  But it's not as far fetched as some of you think it is.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    pjhawks said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Agreed! 

well it was good enough for The Who, The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen and Tom Petty. If good enough combination for the legends i don't see why the combination wouldn't work for PJ.

Also remember they are supporters of the Seahawks so it's not like they are ignorant of the NFL.

that being said I don't think they would ever do it.  But it's not as far fetched as some of you think it is.
    Pearl Jam is my favourite band of all time by a long shot. Nothing comes close. Saying that those names that you listed are at the very top in most peoples eyes. Pearl Jam is not. Also The Who was one of the worse performances that I have seen done at the halftime show. The other 4 were good to great jobs. 

You get roughly 12 minutes at the Superbowl. What set do you see them doing that would have non fans caring? A shortened repeat of the Hall of Fame set? I do not need justification from the world that the band that I love is great and chances are the whole thing would be viewed in a negative light by a lot just due to how liberal the band is.  
  • rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    It's been a while since those classic rock artists played the Super Bowl. Things have changed even more so over the past decade and, unfortunately, I don't think there's a place for good old fashion rock n roll at the halftime show anymore.
  • No
  • No. I get that they personally enjoy having an NFL team in Seattle, but there's a difference between supporting a team as a private citizen and supporting the NFL as a band / business. I personally loved watching Ed take a knee at solo shows in 2017. I would be upset if Pearl Jam aligned themselves with the NFL in any significant way.
    I don't think anyone needs that kind of exposure, lol, and PJ doesn't need more exposure in any case. From what I can tell, the Superbowl halftime show is marketing poison. It attracts way more negative publicity than it does positive now. It will be really interesting to see how their search for an artist goes next year.
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't think anyone needs that kind of exposure, lol, and PJ doesn't need more exposure in any case. From what I can tell, the Superbowl halftime show is marketing poison. It attracts way more negative publicity than it does positive now. It will be really interesting to see how their search for an artist goes next year.
    They sell out freaking stadiums, what kind of exposure do they  need? lol
    I know it was over 20 years ago but this is a band that tried to separate themselves from the casual/fake fans.
    Playing the Super Bowl would definitely be a 180-degree turn from that.
    edited February 2019
    Also, I'd hate to read the post-show reviews where critics are dismissing the band's performance as boring because Eddie didn't jump from the roof of the stadium or Mike didn't play a solo while riding on a Trojan horse.
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    They sell out freaking stadiums, what kind of exposure do they  need? lol
    Exactly, lol. PJ get more exposure than most bands as far as I can tell. Hell, I go to the US for a couple days, and I see them on TV just randomly a bunch of times because they are apparently THE band for Major League Baseball. They're featured in all their ads.
  • mcgruff10 said:
    Maroon 5 or You Are? Pick one.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • rummy said:
    I know it was over 20 years ago but this is a band that tried to separate themselves from the casual/fake fans.
    As someone mentioned above, they sell out stadiums...  They've already done the 180 thing.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,115
    edited February 2019
    rummy said:
    Eddie having a stack of 20 unused tambourines to throw out every show is nothing less than the super bowl.
    mcgruff10 said:
    Maroon 5 or You Are? Pick one.
    Oh man that s a tough one but I d have to go you are all day everyday.  
    rummy said:
    As someone mentioned above, they sell out stadiums...  They've already done the 180 thing.
    I sorta see your point but I don't necessarily think playing/catering to an already-large, dedicated fanbase is quite the same as the whole Super Bowl extravaganza. THAT'd be trying to get more people on board the Pearl Jam express.
    rummy said:
    Eddie having a stack of 20 unused tambourines to throw out every show is nothing less than the super bowl.
    Sorta having a hard time arguing with this but, again...catering to an already-dedicated fan base.
    I also think it's more about the song they are usually playing (RITFW) as opposed to the tambourines themselves. I'd doubt people would be complaining as much if the tambourines went out during a PJ original.