Mobile tickets for 10 Club going forward: Yay or Nay

Comments

• JbarkerJbarker Posts: 560
    Yay
    PB11041 said:
    Also, just freaking play more shows.  You play more shows, with tickets at $85 a pop and you will be able to meet more demand, etc atal.

Me personally, I am kinda done with the big cities they draw too many fanclub members.  My biggest regret on 2018, not going with my gut instinct and doing Missoula.  

agree... they have to play more shows.

Please PJ, don't be the stereotypical "big act" that plays 5 or 6 cities with 4 dates in each - Be the humble touring band that you built your reputation on.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,271
    Yay
    It would be nice to monitor GA so that people can’t sneak in and abuse the system.  
    I was only in GA for Wrigley 13. That was definitely  problem and why I haven't tried since. It got so crowded, especially after the rain delay, I'd rather be a little further back and have my own space.
    But you could see people hopping the GA fence right in front of security and do nothing.
    First part of the show were were maybe 8 people deep and had room to move around. By the end we were 20 people deep and didn't have room to even scratch my nose. And this was before mobile tickets that people could screenshot to get in.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891
    Nay
    I like keeping hard tix, plus I don't really trust venues to deal with the mobile thing properly. I've experienced it when it was completely fucked up - that can lead to completely ruining shows for people.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited January 2019
    Nay
    PB11041 said:
    Nay.  And remove GA.  The band should count themselves lucky that something awful did not happen at Wrigley with the stampede at night 2.

I get they are trying to remove scalping etc etal.  But if some sucker is willing to overpay for some roaches seats that is between them.  I am in the club because of the ticket access, not to sell the ticket access.   I feel like everything got a lot more expensive this go round to accommodate at Ticketmaster "convenience".  
    Remove it at least for outside shows, but a vast makeover is probably a good thing, given the complaints about people who waltz to the front of the GA line at 3pm on that day and say "they're 10C approved to do so" or whatever.

If people can't understand "brief breaks are ok, but put your work in" then maybe a pit at the front isn't a good thing.

What about this idea:
    All seats.
    You're assigned to a "block" based on your member number.
    Exact seats within that "block" are random.
    Rows 1, 2, 9 and 10 are 100% random.

...sort of like the 2003 system where early-arrivals got better seats, but random.

Someone with a number 199xxx is assigned randomly with other upper-echelon 19x,xxx people.

Someone with a number 22xxx is assigned randomly with other lower-echelon 22,xxx but way in front of the 199,xxx person.

Numbers still matter and it mixes things up enough so the band isn't playing to empty seats during Even Flow and Daughter.
    I like it.  Only tweak I would make is instead of rows 1,2,9,10 I'd make it rows 1-5.
    Now that the long term fan base is getting so old, I honestly don't like seniority playing a part in anything to do with seating. I say do full floor GA at every show, random seating selection in the stands... Make these shows appeal to younger people, not just the old fogies.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,762
    Yay
    Agreed.

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,762
    edited January 2019
    Yay
    Also, were there widespread abuses of copied tickets last summer? I know it was a fear, but with wristbands for GA, I would think it would be minimal or non existent. I would think the only risk would be if you are buying the spare ticket from someone and isn't that a normal risk for a paper ticket too? 
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    Nay
    There were tons of people in front at Fenway....with tickets, once the show started. In my opinion, it was a disaster.
  • Yay
    Yay only if I can get a cooler souvenir ticket stub next time!
  • hihobibohihobibo Posts: 1,086
    There is a way for whoever produces the electronic tickets to not make them able to be screenshot. Starbucks' app has something that won't allow me to screen grab my bar code, so the technology is there. (Only reason I tried was to send to my wife to pay with the app since I asked her to get me a coffee while she was already out.)
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    edited January 2019
    Nay
    hihobibo said:
    There is a way for whoever produces the electronic tickets to not make them able to be screenshot. Starbucks' app has something that won't allow me to screen grab my bar code, so the technology is there. (Only reason I tried was to send to my wife to pay with the app since I asked her to get me a coffee while she was already out.)
    There has been away for awhile now to use a moving image or one that changes constantly. That would solve a lot of my issues to be honest. I am sure it is a cost thing why they did not use it.
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    Nay
    Also, were there widespread abuses of copied tickets last summer? I know it was a fear, but with wristbands for GA, I would think it would be minimal or non existent. I would think the only risk would be if you are buying the spare ticket from someone and isn't that a normal risk for a paper ticket too? 
    Fenway could have been a disaster, by night 2 they had to have spotters in security trying to combat the issue, you had the kind but not quite on the ball know what they were thinking ushers recommending that people screenshot their tickets.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Just want to lend my experience with Missoula this year...

I missed the physical ticket.  I've always added them to my collection and I love the ones that have custom art (a la Lightning Bolt tour).  I also missed out on a bunch of merch that I collect at every show because I was giving a whole group of Montana PJ-live virgins a tour of the "Get out vote", run-down of the bands live show mantras, etc.  I missed all the decent merch for the first time, and the damn poster is still $400 bucks on ebay because of the controversy.  But I digress...

No joke, the souvenir tickets were announced, were available, and the window closed literally as I was taking a 2 week over seas honeymoon.  I intentionally put out the word that I was going off-grid and did not check my email, or otherwise for two weeks in countries where it was crazy expensive to do anyways.  Hell it's only two weeks, right?  Well when I return, I see the missed announcement, I send an email the next day to the company doing the souvenir tickets because the window had literally just ended.  Sorry, SOL.  

Really?  A two week window and then it's over?  The one remedy to this years no-ticket blues and I missed it out of total coincidence?  Hurried announcement and rushed window.  I was not impressed.

Bring back the physical ticket.  Find another way to handle the ticket scalpers, but keep the physical ticket.
    edited January 2019
    Nay
    matt.watt said:
    Just want to lend my experience with Missoula this year...

I missed the physical ticket.  I've always added them to my collection and I love the ones that have custom art (a la Lightning Bolt tour).  I also missed out on a bunch of merch that I collect at every show because I was giving a whole group of Montana PJ-live virgins a tour of the "Get out vote", run-down of the bands live show mantras, etc.  I missed all the decent merch for the first time, and the damn poster is still $400 bucks on ebay because of the controversy.  But I digress...

No joke, the souvenir tickets were announced, were available, and the window closed literally as I was taking a 2 week over seas honeymoon.  I intentionally put out the word that I was going off-grid and did not check my email, or otherwise for two weeks in countries where it was crazy expensive to do anyways.  Hell it's only two weeks, right?  Well when I return, I see the missed announcement, I send an email the next day to the company doing the souvenir tickets because the window had literally just ended.  Sorry, SOL.  

Really?  A two week window and then it's over?  The one remedy to this years no-ticket blues and I missed it out of total coincidence?  Hurried announcement and rushed window.  I was not impressed.

Bring back the physical ticket.  Find another way to handle the ticket scalpers, but keep the physical ticket.
    Somebody get this man a souvenir Missoula ticket! Surely someone has one to spare.
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,836
    Nay
    Waited in line for Safeco to open and got bounced out because mobile ticket wasn't working (had two phones and neither screen worked). Had to walk around Safeco Field only to be told "it should work now" and trekked back around to get back in.

If I was in GA and this happened or waited early to get merch, I'd be pissed. I understand how mobile ticketing prevented some scalping but there's plenty of ways to cheat the screenshot/mobile approach - especially if there's a GA pit that everyone will try to flood into.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,823
    Just schedule and announce some shows! The rest is gravy.
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,831
    mace1229 said:
    PB11041 said:
    Nay.  And remove GA.  The band should count themselves lucky that something awful did not happen at Wrigley with the stampede at night 2.

I get they are trying to remove scalping etc etal.  But if some sucker is willing to overpay for some roaches seats that is between them.  I am in the club because of the ticket access, not to sell the ticket access.   I feel like everything got a lot more expensive this go round to accommodate at Ticketmaster "convenience".  
    Remove it at least for outside shows, but a vast makeover is probably a good thing, given the complaints about people who waltz to the front of the GA line at 3pm on that day and say "they're 10C approved to do so" or whatever.

If people can't understand "brief breaks are ok, but put your work in" then maybe a pit at the front isn't a good thing.

What about this idea:
    All seats.

...sort of like the 2003 system where early-arrivals got better seats, but random.

Someone with a number 199xxx is assigned randomly with other upper-echelon 19x,xxx people.

Someone with a number 22xxx is assigned randomly with other lower-echelon 22,xxx but way in front of the 199,xxx person.

Numbers still matter and it mixes things up enough so the band isn't playing to empty seats during Even Flow and Daughter.
    I thought they did that exact system for a long time. I remember walking up to the 10c tent to get my tickets, they'd basically look up my number and pull 2 random tickets out of a box based on my number. I actually think it was first come, not random. But still similar. 

I believe the 2003 tour (and maybe others) had block seating, but people were assigned within their block based on how early they picked tickets up.

This would basically eliminate the need to camp out at the box office for two days to get a few rows closer.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    Yay
    mace1229 said:
    PB11041 said:

What about this idea:
    All seats.

I thought they did that exact system for a long time. I remember walking up to the 10c tent to get my tickets, they'd basically look up my number and pull 2 random tickets out of a box based on my number. I actually think it was first come, not random. But still similar. 

I believe the 2003 tour (and maybe others) had block seating, but people were assigned within their block based on how early they picked tickets up.

This would basically eliminate the need to camp out at the box office for two days to get a few rows closer.
    You d be surprised.  I remember people lining up for ten/12 hours to get the best in their block. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    PB11041 said:

What about this idea:
    All seats.

You d be surprised.  I remember people lining up for ten/12 hours to get the best in their block. 
    And I remember seeing friends with slightly higher numbers that were a few rows closer.
    PB11041 said:
    Also, just freaking play more shows.  You play more shows, with tickets at $85 a pop and you will be able to meet more demand, etc atal.

Me personally, I am kinda done with the big cities they draw too many fanclub members.  My biggest regret on 2018, not going with my gut instinct and doing Missoula.  

Yeah. Take the 2010 tour for example. NYC was a mess, but Columbus/Noblesville/Cleveland/Buffalo would have made a nice little run.

Wednesday: Travel to Columbus.
    Thursday: Show
    Friday: Drive to Noblesville, show, drive back to Columbus

(Three nights in Columbus hotel.)

Saturday: Drive to Cleveland.
    Sunday: Show in Cleveland.

Drive to Buffalo.

Either drive back to Columbus for flight home or leave car in Buffalo for flight home.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    edited January 2019
    It would be nice to monitor GA so that people can’t sneak in and abuse the system.  

If they insist on GA, they need Dave's system.

Line up whenever you want to.
    An hour before doors, each person gets a number. If their plus one is there, the group of two shares a number.

Say number 27 is drawn.
    Whoever has 27 lines up first, all the way to 100.
    Number 1 lines up after 100 and then 26 is last.

The line goes in and gets settled.
    Once they're settled, regular doors open, including for anyone who comes into the pit later.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    Yay
    Get_Right said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    PB11041 said:

What about this idea:
    All seats.

And I remember seeing friends with slightly higher numbers that were a few rows closer.
    Really?  What shows?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Nay

If they insist on GA, they need Dave's system.

Line up whenever you want to.
    An hour before doors, each person gets a number. If their plus one is there, the group of two shares a number.

Say number 27 is drawn.
    Whoever has 27 lines up first, all the way to 100.
    Number 1 lines up after 100 and then 26 is last.

The line goes in and gets settled.
    Once they're settled, regular doors open, including for anyone who comes into the pit later.
    Great idea though the only problem I see with it is that you would have to organize 500 plus people with Pearl Jam an hour before the show. It is doable for sure though but would take a lot of work from 10 Club. 
    Nay
    PB11041 said:

Yeah. Take the 2010 tour for example. NYC was a mess, but Columbus/Noblesville/Cleveland/Buffalo would have made a nice little run.

Drive to Buffalo.

Either drive back to Columbus for flight home or leave car in Buffalo for flight home.
    They didn't even sell out all the shows on the 2013 tour - the ones outside of the really high demand markets.... Maybe that's what they're worried about. That if they go outside of those huge markets, they're not sure if they can fill arenas.
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,903
    Yay
    PB11041 said:

Drive to Buffalo.

That was a great 4 show run. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • jhager79jhager79 Posts: 246
    Yay
    I'm definitely all for the digital ticketing. Enjoyed having a physical ticket in the past but time saved by not waiting in line to pick up tickets is well worth it. For Wrigley 2 we strolled up just after 7 and in our seats by 7:20, easy. Keep the digital tickets.
    [img][/img]Kitchener2005
    Toronto 2003
    Toronto 2000
    Barrie 1998
    Toronto 1993
    London 2005

Toronto 2006 May 9/10
    Toronto 2009
    Toronto Sept 11/12 2011
    London 2013
    Detroit 2014
    Toronto 2016 May 10/12
    Chicago 2018 N2
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead"
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,073
    Nay
    Supposedly Missoula started late because of the lag time of the digital ticket process. I’d like a physical ticket, but no doubt that this is the way tickets are going in the future
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,527
    I'm neutral.  The tickets worked fine and we had no problems.   I did miss having ticket stubs, but they worked out a solution (but my tickets are mia :( ).

I agree they weren't any more secure than the old paper tickets.  In fact they were less secure because you can make screenshots.   Now that people know this it seems ripe open for abuse.  Especially because anyone can put in for the best tickets (GA). 

I guess I'm ok either way as I long as there's a show for me to go see :)
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    Nay
    PB11041 said:

Drive to Buffalo.

I am pretty much done with MSG as a venue to see PJ. Unless they did some sort of surprising thing of playing several shows there or something.  It would be like my last choice shot in the dark if they do GA maybe I get lucky, but would not go all in without reserved seating and multiple shows there.   I am old. I am a snob.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

Nay
    Zod said:
    I'm neutral.  The tickets worked fine and we had no problems.   I did miss having ticket stubs, but they worked out a solution (but my tickets are mia :( ).

I agree they weren't any more secure than the old paper tickets.  In fact they were less secure because you can make screenshots.   Now that people know this it seems ripe open for abuse.  Especially because anyone can put in for the best tickets (GA). 

I guess I'm ok either way as I long as there's a show for me to go see :)
    Agreed. If people know they can sell both of their tickets and they do not need to go to the venue then they are going to put in for a lot more shows which is going to make it harder for other fans to get to the show who were going to legitimately show up. Also if people thought that the 2 accounts for one household was bad enough just think of the possibilities of what people can do going forward if they wanted to. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    Get_Right said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    PB11041 said:

What about this idea:
    All seats.

Really?  What shows?
    I think Philly, Albany, Buffalo or Uniondale.  I did a bunch of shows on that tour.