Mobile tickets for 10 Club going forward: Yay or Nay

PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
edited January 2019 in The Porch
The 2018 ballpark tour rolled out for the first time mobile tickets for us 10 Club members. I am curious what people thought of this method and what they would like to see changed or stay the same in the future.  Here is my take.

Positives

- No need to lineup before the show to get tickets. This allows people to enjoy the city a little longer and not be so rushed. 

- 10 Club did a great job helping out those that did not have a mobile device from what I was told.

Negatives 

- Screenshots of the tickets worked transferable or not. This is my biggest complaint since going forward people are going to know this and abuse this even more then it was in 2018 unless they implement a ticket that is not a static image. If this is not changed it is pretty obvious that 10 Club tickets going forward will be sold on sites like Stubhub with ease. Once scalpers catch wind of this I fear they will join 10 Club just to flip tickets. This problem is really my main reason for making this post and a huge oversight from 10 Club imo.

- People abusing the system by passing around their 10 Club info desperate to sell both tickets. Yes this is on them for getting tickets they can not use and they should be more careful. That said if someone finds away to sell the ticket they are probably going to use it and hope for the best. This obviously opens them up to fraud and membership cancelation.

- If you were separated from your +1 in the venue and they did not have the ticket on their phone security could be a pain when getting back to your seat. 

Mobile tickets for 10 Club going forward: Yay or Nay 79 votes

Yay
32%
pjhawksmookeywrenchmcgruff10Lesbelges100 PacerSomethingCreativenoorambootlegger10pjpitt89coach pjlemon2PJBankerTim Simmonsmace1229pjrussRP112579Franklin Delano BluthJM144705RS151862MT236122 26 votes
Nay
67%
boneIndifferencego predarwinstheoryblacknapkinsmy_waveBostonGaardenwalkunafraidreisgerichtAndySlashspnoonebosshogg18Ledbetterman10smile6680PeArLgOoNeRon2legstschavzpalffyiOnlyownMymindChazz 53 votes
Post edited by PJNB on

Comments

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,682
    PJNB said:

- No physical ticket. Yes they came through after the fact but that was not your seat # which some people care about. 
    My souvenir tickets from 10club had my exact seat locations on them.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    edited January 2019
    Nay
    Poncier said:
    PJNB said:

- No physical ticket. Yes they came through after the fact but that was not your seat # which some people care about. 
    Not sure why I thought otherwise thanks for the heads up. 

I should also add if they are able to fix the fact that screenshots work I think I would be for this method going forward.
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Poncier said:
    PJNB said:

But we had to pay extra for it, which is pretty lame. It should had been included in the original ticket price. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,682
    LukinFan said:
    Poncier said:
    PJNB said:

But we had to pay extra for it, which is pretty lame. It should had been included in the original ticket price. 
    Yeah, but a couple of bucks in the grand scheme of things wasn't a big deal, would have preferred they went with my original idea when they first announced Mobile tickets and made printed souvenir tix available for a small donation to the Vitalogy Foundation so at least that few bucks went to good use.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,450
    Nay
    More cons than pros imo. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    Nay
    Not sure whether pro/con - but you know your seating location well before the day of the show with mobile.

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    edited January 2019
    I dont like it, but its not going anywhere

and that goes for all ticketed events.
    Nay
    Not sure whether pro/con - but you know your seating location well before the day of the show with mobile.
    Good point and imo it is both a pro and a con. I should have listed this in the OP too as it was a huge problem imo when the last minute drops happened. 

The fact that you get to know your seat and the fact that ticket drops happen all the time after the public sale you can try to better your seat especially for those that have a high number like myself. It is no secret that a lot of the seats last year were aways back. People then got better seats on the drops and then in return sold both of their 10 club tickets. I know that is not how it was intended by 10 Club and against the rules but there was nothing stopping people from doing this with the screenshot of the ticket working. Going forward if this is the method they use and there is no GA I am not even going to put in for shows as I always get better seats with other methods. 
  • Nay
    I recently re-read the 1995 Spin Magazine interview with Eddie where he laments the fact that ticketmaster service charges were bringing the cost of a PJ ticket from $20 to like $28, which he didn't like because some people can't afford that. But now you're expected to have a $700 computer in your pocket to gain access to a PJ show. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    Nay
    I recently re-read the 1995 Spin Magazine interview with Eddie where he laments the fact that ticketmaster service charges were bringing the cost of a PJ ticket from $20 to like $28, which he didn't like because some people can't afford that. But now you're expected to have a $700 computer in your pocket to gain access to a PJ show. 
    A $100+ PJ show at that..
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,762
    Yay
    I'd be fine with it.

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,762
    Yay
    I mean, they make them way cheaper. 
  • Nay
    Well that's another takeaway from that Spin article. He talks about bands like the Rolling Stones that were charging $50 for a ticket at the time. He said he wouldn't want to be playing in front of a crowd that can afford such expensive tickets while people that can't afford them are left out. Well, the inflation calculator says that $50 in 1995 is about $85 now, and PJ tickets have been more expensive than that for about a decade now. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    edited January 2019
    Nay
    I'd be fine with it.

As would I if they can fix how easy it is to sell the tickets to anyone and able to even sell the same ticket multiple times. 2018 we had no clue how it worked and it was still widely abused. If they keep it the same as that going forward it is going to be a huge problem imo. 
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    Nay
    Nay.  And remove GA.  The band should count themselves lucky that something awful did not happen at Wrigley with the stampede at night 2.

I get they are trying to remove scalping etc etal.  But if some sucker is willing to overpay for some roaches seats that is between them.  I am in the club because of the ticket access, not to sell the ticket access.   I feel like everything got a lot more expensive this go round to accommodate at Ticketmaster "convenience".  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

Nay
    PB11041 said:
    Nay.  And remove GA.  The band should count themselves lucky that something awful did not happen at Wrigley with the stampede at night 2.
    Would seriously consider dropping my membership altogether if they got rid of GA. I get seniority, I respect it, but at a certain point as someone with a somewhat higher number, I would never get to be close again. And simply put, that would be ass lol. 

No I am not saying I need rail, but GA is special in itself. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,271
    Yay
    I vote yay based on a few assumptions. 
    One that they can do something about the screenshots.

But it was easier than I thought, I liked having my tickets early. I was paranoid about my phone dying or something else, and as it turns out I had an issue with tech problems on my phone night 2 and there was someone there to assist me within seconds and get my tickets. So I assume they are prepared for that, a dead phone or something. 
  • RP112579RP112579 Posts: 3,381
    Yay
    The whole process was incredibly easy.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
    8/29/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/31/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,242
    I'm really not bothered either way.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,831
    edited January 2019
    Well that's another takeaway from that Spin article. He talks about bands like the Rolling Stones that were charging $50 for a ticket at the time. He said he wouldn't want to be playing in front of a crowd that can afford such expensive tickets while people that can't afford them are left out. Well, the inflation calculator says that $50 in 1995 is about $85 now, and PJ tickets have been more expensive than that for about a decade now. 

I disagree. I think my 2014 tickets were right around $75 each.

I think I paid around $50 or $60 for my 2010 tickets.
    (10C tickets for shows in USA.)

It's possible I'm mis-interpreting your post. I'm reading it as "more expensive than $85 since about 2009."
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    Yay
    PB11041 said:
    Would seriously consider dropping my membership altogether if they got rid of GA. I get seniority, I respect it, but at a certain point as someone with a somewhat higher number, I would never get to be close again. And simply put, that would be ass lol. 

You've had GA since 2013...maybe time to switch it up for a few years?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,831
    edited January 2019
    PB11041 said:

I get they are trying to remove scalping etc etal.  But if some sucker is willing to overpay for some roaches seats that is between them.  I am in the club because of the ticket access, not to sell the ticket access.   I feel like everything got a lot more expensive this go round to accommodate at Ticketmaster "convenience".  
    Remove it at least for outside shows, but a vast makeover is probably a good thing, given the complaints about people who waltz to the front of the GA line at 3pm on that day and say "they're 10C approved to do so" or whatever.

If people can't understand "brief breaks are ok, but put your work in" then maybe a pit at the front isn't a good thing.

What about this idea:
    All seats.
    You're assigned to a "block" based on your member number.
    Exact seats within that "block" are random.
    Rows 1, 2, 9 and 10 are 100% random.

...sort of like the 2003 system where early-arrivals got better seats, but random.

Someone with a number 199xxx is assigned randomly with other upper-echelon 19x,xxx people.

Someone with a number 22xxx is assigned randomly with other lower-echelon 22,xxx but way in front of the 199,xxx person.

Numbers still matter and it mixes things up enough so the band isn't playing to empty seats during Even Flow and Daughter.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Nay

I disagree. I think my 2014 tickets were right around $75 each.

I think I paid around $50 or $60 for my 2010 tickets.
    (10C tickets for shows in USA.)

It's possible I'm mis-interpreting your post. I'm reading it as "more expensive than $85 since about 2009."
    No you're interpreting the post right...but I'm a little off. Checking my tenclub order history, I see that the Philly 2013 show I went to was $86 for a ticket. The next year in Denver, it was $78. It jumped to $123.50 for last year's Fenway show. 

Either way, my point is that in that 1995 article, he was suggesting that $50 ($85 today) is too high for a concert ticket and now that's basically what they've been charging over the past five years.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    edited January 2019
    Nay
    mcgruff10 said:
    PB11041 said:

You've had GA since 2013...maybe time to switch it up for a few years?
    Wasn’t a member til early 2016. Only been graced with GA for Columbia 2016. Im happy seeing them any place (in an arena! or smaller) and I will again if need be. But not having the even the smallest chance to be down on the floor would suck 

And when you aren’t born until the same year No Code was released, joining early on wasn’t an option ha
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,271
    Yay
    PB11041 said:

Remove it at least for outside shows, but a vast makeover is probably a good thing, given the complaints about people who waltz to the front of the GA line at 3pm on that day and say "they're 10C approved to do so" or whatever.

If people can't understand "brief breaks are ok, but put your work in" then maybe a pit at the front isn't a good thing.

What about this idea:
    All seats.

...sort of like the 2003 system where early-arrivals got better seats, but random.

Someone with a number 199xxx is assigned randomly with other upper-echelon 19x,xxx people.

Someone with a number 22xxx is assigned randomly with other lower-echelon 22,xxx but way in front of the 199,xxx person.

Numbers still matter and it mixes things up enough so the band isn't playing to empty seats during Even Flow and Daughter.
    I thought they did that exact system for a long time. I remember walking up to the 10c tent to get my tickets, they'd basically look up my number and pull 2 random tickets out of a box based on my number. I actually think it was first come, not random. But still similar. 
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    Nay
    Also, just freaking play more shows.  You play more shows, with tickets at $85 a pop and you will be able to meet more demand, etc atal.

Me personally, I am kinda done with the big cities they draw too many fanclub members.  My biggest regret on 2018, not going with my gut instinct and doing Missoula.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    Yay
    I d like to see:
    reaerved seating however switch it up.  One show have it seniority based and the next show have it be totally random (like dmb). 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    Yay
    It would be nice to monitor GA so that people can’t sneak in and abuse the system.  
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    Nay
    PB11041 said:

What about this idea:
    All seats.

I like it.  Only tweak I would make is instead of rows 1,2,9,10 I'd make it rows 1-5.
  • BRONDOBRONDO Posts: 446
    Seattle n1; my non transferable ticket was not accessible on my phone, luckily my son had his plus 1 so I could get in.
    Missoula; my son and I were given non pj ga wrist bands even though the tickets were 10c ga. This was corrected after some time. 
    Much rather stand in line for a few minutes and have hard tickets but I feel those days are over.