Options

A New Beginning or The Final Chapter?

Comments

• Options
    PJNB said:
    Scripted? Man, has this thread devolved big time! 
    tbergs said:
    Yeah, you know, mics, lights, guitars and music. What is this? A rock show? Soooo scripted.
    Hobbes said:
    Scripted? Ed can't remember the words.
    Swinging out on a specially constructed lamp at the same spot in Porch night after night, is a scripted moment. 

No need for that condescending tone of yours. It's Christmas.
    I went to 2 shows in 2013. One night he rode the ball. The other night he did not. I wonder if it was scripted night 2 to not ride the ball and if it was scripted night 1 to ride it. I also wonder if it was scripted for Jeff to hit the end of his bass into the ball smashing it into pieces. These are the questions that are keeping me up at night...
    Don't be like this.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    PJNB said:
    tbergs said:
    Yeah, you know, mics, lights, guitars and music. What is this? A rock show? Soooo scripted.
    Hobbes said:
    Swinging out on a specially constructed lamp at the same spot in Porch night after night, is a scripted moment. 

I went to 2 shows in 2013. One night he rode the ball. The other night he did not. I wonder if it was scripted night 2 to not ride the ball and if it was scripted night 1 to ride it. I also wonder if it was scripted for Jeff to hit the end of his bass into the ball smashing it into pieces. These are the questions that are keeping me up at night...
    Don't be like this.
    Then quit being silly with your scripted comments. You may have found it cheesy, but it wasn't a scripted moment, maybe predictable, but no more so than '92 Eddie climbing the lighting rigging.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    tbergs said:
    PJNB said:
    tbergs said:
    Hobbes said:

Don't be like this.
    Then quit being silly with your scripted comments. You may have found it cheesy, but it wasn't a scripted moment, maybe predictable, but no more so than '92 Eddie climbing the lighting rigging.
    Excellent point.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    PJNB said:
    tbergs said:
    Hobbes said:

Don't be like this.
    Did they built that lighting rig specifically for Eddie to climb up?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    PJNB said:
    tbergs said:
    Hobbes said:

Don't be like this.
    Excellent point.
    No. His point lacks logic.
  • Options
    Why even attack the "scripted" part. Embrace it if you dig it.
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    tbergs said:
    Hobbes said:

I actually have a stage used set list from brooklyn 2 and next to "porch" written in a different color are two words that have made no sense to me for the past five years: "No Globe".   Now I know what it means thanks to your post.  Jeff you truly are the best.
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    The Final Chapter
    saw Guns N Roses in 2016. 100% scripted.  one of the best shows i've ever seen.
    saw Elton John just a few weeks ago.  again, 100% scripted.  again, one of the best shows i've ever seen.
  • Options
    CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,231
    A New Beginning
    This thread is depressing. Hope everyone has a great 2019. Looking forward to what PJ has in store. 
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    The Final Chapter
    CO278952 said:
    This thread is depressing. Hope everyone has a great 2019. Looking forward to what PJ has in store
    Merch, lots and lots of merch.  I kid, I kid.

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    I don't think its either. Pearl Jam is a nostalgic act now. And they probably will be for a long time to come. I don't think the end is near.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    If PJ shows were scripted, we would get identical shows every night (see Foo Fighters). Changing setlists top to bottom from night to night creates wildly different experiences, so that to me is not scripted.  Looking forward to a kick ass album followed by a tour this year. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    tbergs said:
    Hobbes said:

I actually have a stage used set list from brooklyn 2 and next to "porch" written in a different color are two words that have made no sense to me for the past five years: "No Globe".   Now I know what it means thanks to your post.  Jeff you truly are the best.
    Lol it all makes sense now! 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,983
    edited December 2018
    bbiggs said:
    If PJ shows were scripted, we would get identical shows every night (see Foo Fighters). Changing setlists top to bottom from night to night creates wildly different experiences, so that to me is not scripted.  Looking forward to a kick ass album followed by a tour this year. 
    I don't really get this binary take. 

No one is claiming Pearl Jam whole concert is scripted. 

And I don't think it's true that because they have constructed a special lamp Paul-Stanley-style they have to play the same setlist every night. They can do both. A scripted gimmicky lamp, and a varied setlist.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:
    saw Elton John just a few weeks ago.  again, 100% scripted.  again, one of the best shows i've ever seen.
    But sometimes they play Coma, and sometimes they don't. So not scripted. 

@mcgruff10 bring up a  setlist from one of their New York shows to show that they both can play Coma and not play Coma.
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    The Final Chapter
    vaggar99 said:
    But sometimes they play Coma, and sometimes they don't. So not scripted. 

@mcgruff10 bring up a  setlist from one of their New York shows to show that they both can play Coma and not play Coma.
    okay, so 96% scripted.
  • Options
    I don’t think it is the end, but it is clear now that the band can’t be bothered to put out just one single a year.  They took all of 2017 off remember.  This is not an active band.  It is an annuity to them and little more than a part of their investment portfolio.  If they are not excited about the band than not quite sure why we should be anymore.  

2017 had Mike's book, Eddie's solo tour...and a Soundgarden tour cut short by one of the most tragic acts ever.

If they had anything planned for late 2017, I can't blame them at all for taking the rest of the year off. There was a ton of talk about Eddie possibly canceling a show or even the whole tour.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    A New Beginning
    tbergs said:
    Hobbes said:

It’s an open forum. I disagree with your scripted comment. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Totally makes sense now:

• Options
    LMAO!!! The 3 lines under No really emphasize how Eddie felt that day I bet. 
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    PJNB said:
    You like how I was the guest performer on black?  It was the bands way of saying thanks being it was my 50th show. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    You like how I was the guest performer on black?  It was the bands way of saying thanks being it was my 50th show. 
    Hey if Dustin Arroyo can get called up to play Black anyone has a chance in my books. The script played out perfectly that night for you I bet! 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    Hey if Dustin Arroyo can get called up to play Black anyone has a chance in my books. The script played out perfectly that night for you I bet! 
    It definitely did.  Ed got a little pissy when I tossed a tambourine to stage left since the first tambourine always goes stage right.  It was definitely my bad. Boy did I get a lecture off mic. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    It definitely did.  Ed got a little pissy when I tossed a tambourine to stage left since the first tambourine always goes stage right.  It was definitely my bad. Boy did I get a lecture off mic. 
    Ugh sorry you had to go through that. I can see why you don't count that as one of your three times you got to meet Ed. 
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    Bronson Arroyo ;). Sorry...had to...
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    Bronson Arroyo ;). Sorry...had to...
    Who the fuck is Dustin Arroyo lol. Must have had Pedroia on my mind for some reason. 
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,426
    bbiggs said:
    I don't really get this binary take. 

No one is claiming Pearl Jam whole concert is scripted. 

And I don't think it's true that because they have constructed a special lamp Paul-Stanley-style they have to play the same setlist every night. They can do both. A scripted gimmicky lamp, and a varied setlist.
    Aren’t the lighting sequences for songs from show to show scripted?

I think way more stuff is scripted during their shows than most people realize.  Which is fine with me.  I’d rather they put some thought into stuff than just winging it. 

For instance... at MSG in 2016 I had front row on the floor directly behind GA.  My seat was dead on center to Ed’s mic stand. And during Porch Ed wandered out to the middle of the floor and climbed on the barrier directly in front of me (I was told to hold his leg for support by security =) ) and he proceeded to finish the song there.  I’m pretty sure Ed knew exactly where the dead center of the arena was that night because it was preplanned and scripted where he was going to climb the barrier.  He didn’t end up in the dead center by accident. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,426
    Just another note to add to the scripted comment.  Die hard Bruce fans love the little banter he does between songs and it seems off the cuff and spontaneous.  But in reality he practices those speeches before the shows.  He literally will practice on stage and perform to an empty arena before the show just to make sure he is happy with it.  

As as someone said... the light bulb swing might be cheesy but it doesn’t mean they’re mailing it in. If anything they’re putting a lot of preparation into the shows.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    The Final Chapter
    I don’t think it is the end, but it is clear now that the band can’t be bothered to put out just one single a year.  They took all of 2017 off remember.  This is not an active band.  It is an annuity to them and little more than a part of their investment portfolio.  If they are not excited about the band than not quite sure why we should be anymore.  

2017 had Mike's book, Eddie's solo tour...and a Soundgarden tour cut short by one of the most tragic acts ever.

If they had anything planned for late 2017, I can't blame them at all for taking the rest of the year off. There was a ton of talk about Eddie possibly canceling a show or even the whole tour.

Thats a good point about 2017 and Chris, but PJs slowdown encompasses every year since 2014. The best output is about 25 shows per year, which includes festivals (which arguably  is not geared towards a bands own fanbase)

Even now, in early 2018 it looked like Dec 2018 would be awash with new album information and new tour rumors for mid to late 2019 to support this album. Instead, its crickets.

Fans are not to blame for what may be turning out to be false hope, as the band used the word "forthcoming" nine months ago about this potential project.

Assuming a major act needs 7 to 8 months to put the finishing touches and produce/promote/distribute an album and set up a tour, we are in the middle of ANOTHER 12 month drought with no Pearl Jam activity. Heres to hoping we are a month or two from solid info, but its been VERY quiet lately.

• Options

Thats a good point about 2017 and Chris, but PJs slowdown encompasses every year since 2014. The best output is about 25 shows per year, which includes festivals (which arguably  is not geared towards a bands own fanbase)

Even now, in early 2018 it looked like Dec 2018 would be awash with new album information and new tour rumors for mid to late 2019 to support this album. Instead, its crickets.

Fans are not to blame for what may be turning out to be false hope, as the band used the word "forthcoming" nine months ago about this potential project.

Assuming a major act needs 7 to 8 months to put the finishing touches and produce/promote/distribute an album and set up a tour, we are in the middle of ANOTHER 12 month drought with no Pearl Jam activity. Heres to hoping we are a month or two from solid info, but its been VERY quiet lately.

Agreed. Really hoping for something next year but unless we start to get some info trickling in here it is 2017 all over again but this time we are waiting for a new album. They can do what they want when they want I for one would love a heads up though like see you in 2020 or something like that. 

I am picking my vacation next week. These are first world problems for sure but not knowing what is going on I am going to load it up with one pick in the summer and the rest in November/December. If they do not tour I am stuck with vacation in November and December. Ugh.