Options

A New Beginning or The Final Chapter?

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    edited December 2018
    I don’t think it is the end, but it is clear now that the band can’t be bothered to put out just one single a year.  They took all of 2017 off remember.  This is not an active band.  It is an annuity to them and little more than a part of their investment portfolio.  If they are not excited about the band than not quite sure why we should be anymore.  
    I agree with this. I definitely don't think they're breaking up and retiring, but it's just one more indication of a band that is either unable to or creatively not inspired to make new music together. They have fully succumbed to legacy act and I for one am disappointed that seems to be the route they're on. I really wanted them to keep churning as a band, but they need to do what's best for them. That doesn't mean we as fans are going to like it.

I'm annoyed as much as anyone else about the debacle that has become the annual single and as much as I try to give 10C the benefit of the doubt, their communication about these things sucks at best and has for years. I think their level of failure to deliver on a clearly stated membership level cost associated item is ridiculous. Seems to be the state of our world though, fold up and quit instead of fix the issue and provide a little something that says, oops, we fucked up so here's this as well. They've got to feel like complete jackasses at this point and as others have mentioned I don't know how much of this falls on the band themselves or is truly the management side of the house. I'm afraid it's the band and that is why I think the slow decline we have seen over the last decade is really starting to become glaringly clear and confirmed each year.

Another theory, completely my own, is that Ed's voice becomes less and less Ed's voice every year, if that makes sense. He struggles on a lot of their catalog these days. His voice still is great for Ed solo material, but I don't think it can effectively deliver for what they need for Pearl Jam the band on a consistent level anymore. I think that's why the last album had so many "Eddie" songs on it and why we keep hearing that they're working on new music, but nothing is happening. I'd love to be proven wrong on that because I want his voice to last forever, but that's not realistic. We're lucky his voice, and the band, have sustained this long. Although it's looking more and more like PJ20 was the capstone and that everything since has just been out of a need to continue existence because, as someone else already stated, they need to be Pearl Jam in order to achieve everything else they want to do philanthropically for the better of the planet and humanity.

So to wrap this up, I think they're not going anywhere, but we're going to need to accept the reality of what it means to be an almost 30 year old band and also 40 years overall as professional musicians individually. 
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Too bad some of you weren't around when parting ways was released.  
    Yup. That was a shitshow.
    I did not know it was bad with Parting Ways but heard of chaos after they released The End. 
    It was far worse than The End.  
    Thank goodness the last album ended with Future Days.

BTW: That'll be the first and last time I'll ever make such a statement.

Haha
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I don’t think it is the end, but it is clear now that the band can’t be bothered to put out just one single a year.  They took all of 2017 off remember.  This is not an active band.  It is an annuity to them and little more than a part of their investment portfolio.  If they are not excited about the band than not quite sure why we should be anymore.  
    Yeah, no need to cry for Pearl Jam.

They had what 20 (?) shows in Europe this summer with 20 sounchecks where they could have recorded a cover for "White Christmas", "Girls just want to have fun", the theme to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or KISS' Rock and Roll Hell.

They had the time. If they would have cared.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    The Final Chapter
    i've heard the guys complain about hearing loss issues.  i would say this might be the biggest factor in this sort downsizing that's been going on over the last several years. if thats the case, perhaps we need to cut the guys a little slack.
  • Options
    As someone posted earlier. This is the final in the coffin that they are an active band. They are a legacy band at this point. I will still go to their concerts, they will still be my favorite band. They know there is no money in a new record and the majority of the people that come to their shows want to hear the old stuff. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,742
    The facts are they are making a new album. It will be out in 2019 or 2020. After the album comes out they will be doing a tour to promote that album. At least 3 continents and probably 4 with Australia finally getting more shows will be played. Who knows if this is the last album or not but nothing has changed really since 2013 or 2009 for that matter. 

They are still playing 2hr 30min to 3hr 30 min shows with the setlist mixed up every time. When this changes then my tune will change but right now these guys are the best in the business and I can't wait to see what they are going to come up with next. 
  • Options
    As someone posted earlier. This is the final in the coffin that they are an active band. They are a legacy band at this point. I will still go to their concerts, they will still be my favorite band. They know there is no money in a new record and the majority of the people that come to their shows want to hear the old stuff. 

I agree and will continue to love everything they have given us for the last 30 years , but would still love a new album for me anything they put out means there still being creative as a band and that chemistry is what gave us the last 30 years ! 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993

They had what 20 (?) shows in Europe this summer with 20 sounchecks where they could have recorded a cover for "White Christmas", "Girls just want to have fun", the theme to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or KISS' Rock and Roll Hell.

Exactly why I never understood the delays. Cover something at a soundcheck and release it. They’ve had success doing that before. And the fact they got the RRHOF rehearsal out so fast for the 2016 single pretty much destroys the myth that the problem is the pressing. If they wanted to, they could get something out in a few months. They just prefer not to.
    I also don’t think this means they are hanging up their hats and calling it a day. But it is just 1 more sign that they are not as into their music as we are. I think we can expect things to be about what they have been the last few years.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,113
    The Final Chapter
    mace1229 said:

Exactly why I never understood the delays. Cover something at a soundcheck and release it. They’ve had success doing that before. And the fact they got the RRHOF rehearsal out so fast for the 2016 single pretty much destroys the myth that the problem is the pressing. If they wanted to, they could get something out in a few months. They just prefer not to.
    I also don’t think this means they are hanging up their hats and calling it a day. But it is just 1 more sign that they are not as into their music as we are. I think we can expect things to be about what they have been the last few years.

I agree. Personally I try my best to not be critical of how often they tour/record. It is what it is and its interesting to notice trends.

We will probably get 25 show tours 2 of every 3 (or 4) years and a new album every six years (and they probably call it quits in about 8 years). But if they're gonna waste one of their few shows at a festival or try to stick me behind a beam at a stadium without telling me, watch out!

• Options
    The Final Chapter
    PJNB said:
    The facts are they are making a new album. It will be out in 2019 or 2020. After the album comes out they will be doing a tour to promote that album. At least 3 continents and probably 4 with Australia finally getting more shows will be played. Who knows if this is the last album or not but nothing has changed really since 2013 or 2009 for that matter. 

They are still playing 2hr 30min to 3hr 30 min shows with the setlist mixed up every time. When this changes then my tune will change but right now these guys are the best in the business and I can't wait to see what they are going to come up with next. 
    The fact that you can’t even say with confidence that a new album will come out in a calendar year that doesn’t even exist yet, tells you all you need to know.
  • Options
    PJNB said:

The fact that you can’t even say with confidence that a new album will come out in a calendar year that doesn’t even exist yet, tells you all you need to know.
    All we have for info is that the next time they get together will be in the studio. They have given us no info at all on the new album. That does not mean that the end is near for the band. If it comes out in 2020 so be it. 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531
    The Final Chapter
    It would be interesting if we could see each poster’s length of time they have been a fan.  Not because you are bigger fan if you have been a fan longer, but just to see who is most critical.  Are the long time fans the most critical?  You would have to think so as the newer fans in the last 12 years or so know nothing different from what exists today.  The touring hasn’t changed, the albums have been sparse and the fan club singles delayed.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    Lots of freaking out. I remember when I freaked out listening to No Code worrying they were making a goodbye album.

i think Pj will continue down the path they are on. I don’t like it, but they’ve earned it.  They may or may not release another album. They will all work separately on other projects. They will do mini-tour every other year or so and hit bigger stadiums to maximize profit off 1 show. And they will have multiple stays in 1 town like the pop stars that aged before them.  We’ve already seen this, so I guess I expect more of the same. 

If the past 2 years of US politics couldn’t get them to release a record.....
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    It would be interesting if we could see each poster’s length of time they have been a fan.  Not because you are bigger fan if you have been a fan longer, but just to see who is most critical.  Are the long time fans the most critical?  You would have to think so as the newer fans in the last 12 years or so know nothing different from what exists today.  The touring hasn’t changed, the albums have been sparse and the fan club singles delayed.
    I think it is great that fans that have been around longer are critical. To me that just shows how good this band is. If you have seen them over 100 times and you are still begging for more touring. That is awesome imo. I wonder though if they are the same group that hates the new music but are dying for new music...

I have been a fan since I saw Evenflow debut on Much Music. I regrettably did not get to see the band live until 2013 due to a number of reasons. I would be sad if these guys hung it up for good or dialled back the touring even more then they have already. If there is something we should be critical about though is all the secrecy around their plans on a new album and touring. Give us a bone already! 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,942
    edited December 2018
    I'm so happy I went and saw them in 2006 before the "Paul Stanley-esque lights constructed for Eddie to swing on at the same time during Porch at every show".

Felt like they came out swinging in 2006 (and 2007).
  • Options
    A New Beginning
    I will try to keep some positivity alive. At least in my own head. 
    Me too! Let's see what the future brings.
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    A New Beginning
    I'm so happy I went and saw them in 2006 before the "Paul Stanley-esque lights constructed for Eddie to swing on at the same time during Porch at every show".

...and Eddie kept "swinging" (on the lights) afterwards!
  • Options
    rummy said:

...and Eddie kept "swinging" (on the lights) afterwards!
    Exactly. hehe.
  • Options
    Them swinging on the lights really did not bother me. Jeff smashing his bass into it as it went by was pretty cool too! 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    Them swinging on the lights really did not bother me. Jeff smashing his bass into it as it went by was pretty cool too! 
    Nothing "scripted" is good. 

Go out and rock (Neil style). 

Don't go out and perform a play (Bruce/KISS style).
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    A New Beginning
    Scripted? Man, has this thread devolved big time! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    Yeah, you know, mics, lights, guitars and music. What is this? A rock show? Soooo scripted.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Scripted? Ed can't remember the words.
  • Options
    A new beginning

• Options
    This is the fan club 45 single we are talking about. It likely started out as something cool for them, but eventually became a pain in the ass (obviously).

The signal to end the annual single is just a signal for that. That’s all. This is not some foreboding event that signifies anything other than they don’t wish to honour the 45 single anymore. It’s minor.

The band is definitely in the twilight of their career, but this era is one that can last many many years. 

They'll always be great live and I’ll always go see them. If they can come out with a couple new albums that are decent... great! If not... oh well... they’ve done enough and owe us nothing creatively.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,300
    The Final Chapter

They'll always be great live and I’ll always go see them. If they can come out with a couple new albums that are decent... great! If not... oh well... they’ve done enough and owe us nothing creatively.
    Course they don't owe us. Id think they owe it to themselves though. Musicians make music. 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Ed's certainly no Jason Voorhees and sadly, he's not even Roy the ambulance driver these days either.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Ed's certainly no Jason Voorhees and sadly, he's not even Roy the ambulance driver these days either.
    As long as he's played by Kane Hodder, I'm happy.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,942
    edited December 2018
    tbergs said:
    Yeah, you know, mics, lights, guitars and music. What is this? A rock show? Soooo scripted.
    Hobbes said:
    Swinging out on a specially constructed lamp at the same spot in Porch night after night, is a scripted moment. 

No need for that condescending tone of yours. It's Christmas.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Hobbes said:
    Swinging out on a specially constructed lamp at the same spot in Porch night after night, is a scripted moment. 

No need for that condescending tone of yours. It's Christmas.
    I went to 2 shows in 2013. One night he rode the ball. The other night he did not. I wonder if it was scripted night 2 to not ride the ball and if it was scripted night 1 to ride it. I also wonder if it was scripted for Jeff to hit the end of his bass into the ball smashing it into pieces. These are the questions that are keeping me up at night...