Options

Do you like the film Scarface?

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited December 2018
    I love the Olivier-Hoffman story from that movie. Hoffman reportedly stayed up for three days so that he could get more in sync with his character. Olivier's retort was something akin to: "My dear boy, why don't you try acting?"
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Is it safe?
    Winter is coming.
    Is it... SAFE?

Lol. You culturally illiterate buffoons. The dentist scene in Marathon Man featured this line and some great Dustin retorts.

Until Sel brought the pain. Then, as Hedo said, the squirming begins for the viewer.

I saw still shots of Eddie in concert wearing a Marathon Man T-shirt.
    And here I was thinking that my line would scare you away forever! I've never been so happy to be called a culturally illiterate buffoon. So glad you're back.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,390

• Options
    Hobbes said:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Is it safe?
    Winter is coming.
    Is it... SAFE?

Lol. You culturally illiterate buffoons. The dentist scene in Marathon Man featured this line and some great Dustin retorts.

Until Sel brought the pain. Then, as Hedo said, the squirming begins for the viewer.

I saw still shots of Eddie in concert wearing a Marathon Man T-shirt.
    And here I was thinking that my line would scare you away forever! I've never been so happy to be called a culturally illiterate buffoon. So glad you're back.
    All in good fun, my friend!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    I know where I stand with you. If you said this to oftenreading, which you most certainly never would, you would shit your pants apologizing. 
  • Options
    I know where I stand with you. If you said this to oftenreading, which you most certainly never would, you would shit your pants apologizing. 
    Lol

I figured you did. Just needed to be sure.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    dankind said:
    You must be younger than I am.  The Breakfast Club was The Breakfast Club of my generation.
    Well... I guess maybe.... eh.... Scream would have been the Superbad of my generation then..? or whatever came out in the 90s... Never saw Dazed and Confused growing up, which is quite similiar to Superbad/Breakfast club/American Grafitti etc.
    Just when I thought we could be friends, you make a statement like this. 

Dazed and Confused is a goddamn masterpiece. It was certainly inspired by American Graffiti, but surpasses it in nearly every possible way. The only thing that it has in common with the other two is the general age group of the protagonists -- oh yeah, and there's a teen party and some scenes filmed at a school.
    We don’t agree on Scarface but could not agree more about Dazed and Confused. A true masterpiece, it is. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,933
    bbiggs said:
    dankind said:
    You must be younger than I am.  The Breakfast Club was The Breakfast Club of my generation.
    Well... I guess maybe.... eh.... Scream would have been the Superbad of my generation then..? or whatever came out in the 90s... Never saw Dazed and Confused growing up, which is quite similiar to Superbad/Breakfast club/American Grafitti etc.

Dazed and Confused is a goddamn masterpiece. It was certainly inspired by American Graffiti, but surpasses it in nearly every possible way. The only thing that it has in common with the other two is the general age group of the protagonists -- oh yeah, and there's a teen party and some scenes filmed at a school.
    We don’t agree on Scarface but could not agree more about Dazed and Confused. A true masterpiece, it is. 
    Dazed and confused is one of the best!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    dankind said:

They use the same narrative device -- "the last night before it all ends"-thing, and everything taking place during one day etc.

Was not talking about the quality of the films.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    edited December 2018
    Yes I like the film Scarface.  Michelle Pfeiffer was smoking hot and that film portrayed the brutal violence, insane profits and the global reach of the cocaine cartels at the time. The chainsaw scene. The scene in the car when the Colombian assassin wants to blow up the car with the kids. It has not aged well, the music is cheesy and the sequence with Gina at the end (fuck me Tony) makes me cringe. But its a classic film and outside of the godfather series, one of Pacino's best roles. 
    Mark Margolis plays the assassin,  Otherwise known as Hector Salamanca from breaking bad. Probably my favorite scene ever in TV when he blows up Gus's face.
    Post edited by Get_Right on
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Classic '80's films and no one mentons Fast Times?!  That was the film of my generation!  Well, I graduated the year after its release, but still...

(my husband and I both have a thing for Ms. Sheedy)
  • Options
    Carrot, raw and whole, baby! 

See the source image
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Back to Scarface....
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure most guys are envious of Kevin Kline =)
  • Options
    See the source image
  • Options
    WILD WILD WEST IS UNDERRATED
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,490
    edited December 2018
    In no particular order, because I pretty much love them all:
    Top 5 Christmas movies:
    -The Ref
    -Christmas Vacation
    -A Christmas Story
    -Elf
    -Bad Santa

Favorite Thanksgiving movie:
    Home for the Holidays(loved Robert Downey Jr. in that movie).
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Options
    WILD WILD WEST IS UNDERRATED
    If people don't show up soon, we're going to be responsible for the gif exchange, are you up for that?
  • Options

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Favorite Christmas movies:

Bad Santa
    Gremlins
    Female Trouble
    Lethal Weapon
    Christmas Evil
    The Ice Harvest
    The Ref
    Black Christmas
    Die Hard
    A Christmas Story

Scrooged
     (awesome until the third act)

The Tim Burton Christmas trilogy (Edward ScissorhandsBatman Returns and The Nightmare Before Christmas)

I used to love Silent Night, Deadly Night, but I don’t know how well that one has held up. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    Don’t like any movies where the main character is supposed to be of certain heritage played by someone who’s not of that heritage , like John Wayne playing a Mongolian Monarch lol horrible ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    IMHO Pacino blew his load on The Godfather’s I&II everything else since has been crap ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    dankind said:
    Favorite Christmas movies:

Bad Santa
    Gremlins
    Female Trouble
    Lethal Weapon
    Christmas Evil
    The Ice Harvest
    The Ref
    Black Christmas
    Die Hard
    A Christmas Story

Scrooged
     (awesome until the third act)

The Tim Burton Christmas trilogy (Edward ScissorhandsBatman Returns and The Nightmare Before Christmas)

I used to love Silent Night, Deadly Night, but I don’t know how well that one has held up. 

Gremlins is highly underrated. One of my favorites as well. 
  • Options
    Top 5 Christmas movies:
    -The Ref
    -Christmas Vacation
    -A Christmas Story
    -Elf
    -Bad Santa

I loved that film, how it captured how fucked up - and sometimes loving - families can be (moreso around the holidays).
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,149
    edited December 2018
    Don’t like any movies where the main character is supposed to be of certain heritage played by someone who’s not of that heritage , like John Wayne playing a Mongolian Monarch lol horrible ..
    I’m split about this in theory. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,636

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    hedonist said:
    Top 5 Christmas movies:
    -The Ref
    -Christmas Vacation
    -A Christmas Story
    -Elf
    -Bad Santa

I loved that film, how it captured how fucked up - and sometimes loving - families can be (moreso around the holidays).

:lol: 
    I wish there was a cable channel that featured a 24 hour marathon of this film. On Thanksgiving and Christmas.
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Top 5 Christmas movies:
    -The Ref
    -Christmas Vacation
    -A Christmas Story
    -Elf
    -Bad Santa

Elf is a great  movie. 
    What a Wonderful Life is essential Christmas viewing. 

I"d add The Santa Clause to the list - i love that movie. 

And Die Hard is not just a guy's Christmas movie - it's loved by many women esp this one. 

• Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    IMHO Pacino blew his load on The Godfather’s I&II everything else since has been crap ! 
    Devil's Advocate is one of my favorite movies - Al, Keanu and Charlize. Love it