Options

Vegan diets increasing malnutrition in wealthy countries?

PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
Interesting read.  If you are a vegan, be sure you are going above and beyond to get your needed nutrients...:
https://www.sciencealert.com/veganism-is-increasing-malnutrition-in-wealthy-countries

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    I wonder how much of this type of malnutrition is caused not by the type of food vegans eat but because they are eating produce bought in grocery stores and not home grown.  Much of the produce from stores loses nutrition from either from irradiation of produce or too much time between picking and eating.  That's one of the reasons I'm big on supplements.  I take vitamin C, B-50, zinc orotate, D-3, calcium citrate with magnesium and glucosamine sulfate every day as supplements.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Possibly, the article also goes into detail about counteractions between certain supplements being taken, and how they effect the absorption of each other as well as the sources of those vitamins being an issue.  Home grown is always better, though!
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    B12 is one of  the most common deficiencies . And causes permanent  nerve damage and brain function problems. Peripheral neuropathy.  It's irreversible .
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    I'm not a vegan. 

Someday I might be one though.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    B12 is one of  the most common deficiencies . And causes permanent  nerve damage and brain function problems. Peripheral neuropathy.  It's irreversible .

Lots of people have B12 deficiencies.  I got neuropathy in my feet.  No cure.  It sucks.  No cause either.  We will never know.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    PJPOWER said:
    Interesting read.  If you are a vegan, be sure you are going above and beyond to get your needed nutrients...:
    https://www.sciencealert.com/veganism-is-increasing-malnutrition-in-wealthy-countries

Thanks for posting , my 21 yr old daughter is trying to be vegan for the most part is so I’ll talk to her about this article ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

Thanks for posting , my 21 yr old daughter is trying to be vegan for the most part is so I’ll talk to her about this article ..
    Sure thing!  I think a lot of people think that switching to a vegan diet will automatically make them healthier, but they need to be sure they are getting their appropriate nutrients or they could end up with serious health issues.  
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Sure thing!  I think a lot of people think that switching to a vegan diet will automatically make them healthier, but they need to be sure they are getting their appropriate nutrients or they could end up with serious health issues.  
    Which is just about the most moronic thing ever lol
    Dumber than Trump!

"I'm going to switch to made up diet that the human body has never ever subsisted on in it's 2 million year history, and I expect to get healthier." 

You can't make this shit up lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,090
    edited December 2018
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Dumber than Trump!

"I'm going to switch to made up diet that the human body has never ever subsisted on in it's 2 million year history, and I expect to get healthier." 

Can you make this up(?) --> All the extremely fat people walking around or rolling around on those scooters. Whatever diet you choose -- some people don't seem to take the time to think about what they eat. 

And, we didn't hog down meat like we do today for these 2 million years you are talking about. We have no problems eating entirely plantbased. We are not created by some devine god to eat other animals. 

So I think fat chicken-bucket-eaters are more "the most moronic thing ever lol" than people choosing to eat plantbased and missing to check on getting all nutrients.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Dumber than Trump!

Can you make this up(?) --> All the extremely fat people walking around or rolling around on those scooters. Whatever diet you choose -- some people don't seem to take the time to think about what they eat. 

And, we didn't hog down meat like we do today for these 2 million years you are talking about. We have no problems eating entirely plantbased. We are not created by some devine god to eat other animals. 

So I think fat chicken-bucket-eaters are more "the most moronic thing ever lol" than people choosing to eat plantbased and missing to check on getting all nutrients.
    The obesity you speak of is the result of sugar, not meat. 
    "We have no problems eating entirely plantbased."
    Uh, yeah, we do.  The article that you probably didn't read because it would conflict with your preconceived notions summarises those problems pretty well.

You need to get right with science, bro.
    Do we eat too much meat?  Absolutely, and unequivocally, yes we do.
    Are we still capable of being healthy if we don't consume animal flesh?  Yes, we are.
    Is going vegan an entirely idiotic and extreme course of action?  Yes, it is.
  • Options
    You know who doesn't have to take supplements to have a healthy body?
    People who eat eggs.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Dumber than Trump!

The obesity you speak of is the result of sugar, not meat. 
    "We have no problems eating entirely plantbased."
    Uh, yeah, we do.  The article that you probably didn't read because it would conflict with your preconceived notions summarises those problems pretty well.

You need to get right with science, bro.
    Do we eat too much meat?  Absolutely, and unequivocally, yes we do.
    Are we still capable of being healthy if we don't consume animal flesh?  Yes, we are.
    Is going vegan an entirely idiotic and extreme course of action?  Yes, it is.
    Hi, I'm an idiot and have been for 7 years. I'm maybe sick once a year and take no medications. Must all be dumb luck.

I understand certain ways of eating are not for everyone, but I wouldn't summarize Vegan as being an idiot. We can only generalize Trump supporters around here. You know that. ;)

Anyway, I also don't eat Vegan as a diet. It describes how I eat, not a reason. I think it's completely inaccurate to label it a diet and those that do are probably the ones experiencing health concerns.

I'm very aware of the B-12 concerns and eat plenty of fortified foods and take a multi-vitamin. Maybe I'll regret my choice in 20 years, but I'm happy and healthy now so I'd like to think it's because of my "diet".
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    rgambs said:
    You know who doesn't have to take supplements to have a healthy body?
    People who eat eggs.
    That's not entirely true either. Eggs may contain more nutrients than most any other food, but just because you eat them doesn't mean you have a healthy body without supplements. Most people are deficient in iodine more than anything. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    doing ok after 12 years.  Thanks though.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Smellyman said:
    You are a vegan?  Do you supplement for the vitamins and minerals that are lacking in a purely vegan diet?  Evidently malnutrition is becoming an issue in developed nations due to people not considering this.
  • Options
    Isn't the appendix a body part left over from when we were mainly plant based? 
    Also my daughter is vegan  . She chose it after years of dairy  intolerance gave up meat so a Vegan diet has no dairy so just ended up there .takes vits
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    Smellyman said:
    You are a vegan?  Do you supplement for the vitamins and minerals that are lacking in a purely vegan diet?  Evidently malnutrition is becoming an issue in developed nations due to people not considering this.
    yes,

Not really, already got all my b12 from soy milk and cereal this morning as most things are fortified.

As much as heavy meat eaters probably worry about vitamin C.  Do vegans think about sure and they should.  It isn't some crazy epidemic.

• Options
    I wouldn't be too quick to categorize vegans as being unhealthy.  Some maybe, sure but most?  I don't think so. 

Take  a typical Sea Shepherd crew, for example.  Most of them are vegans.  Do these folks look unhealthy, especially considering the hard work they do:

And I have a friend who has been a vegan for several years.  He's one of the most buff, fit and able people I know.

Any diet, improperly balanced, can lead to illness.  Anyone with a properly balance diet but shitty genes and become ill.  I am often suspicious of articles and spokespersons putting down vegan and vegetarian diets. 

I say, be open, don't judge.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited December 2018
    brianlux said:
    I wouldn't be too quick to categorize vegans as being unhealthy.  Some maybe, sure but most?  I don't think so. 

Take  a typical Sea Shepherd crew, for example.  Most of them are vegans.  Do these folks look unhealthy, especially considering the hard work they do:

And I have a friend who has been a vegan for several years.  He's one of the most buff, fit and able people I know.

Any diet, improperly balanced, can lead to illness.  Anyone with a properly balance diet but shitty genes and become ill.  I am often suspicious of articles and spokespersons putting down vegan and vegetarian diets. 

Bingo.
    Post edited by Smellyman on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    brianlux said:

I don’t think anyone has been judging on individual levels or categorizing anyone, but obviously (as concluded by this research), there are some major caveats to a large number of people practicing veganism.  People (on the whole) need better nutrition education regarding human biology and what our bodies require to remain healthy.  Most meat eaters I know still eat fruits and vegetables as well (someone above mentioned vitamin c deficiency, which I get plenty of in the fruits I snack on between steaks, lol).  Balance is the key, I would be unhealthy as hell if ribeyes were all I ever ate, lol.  Again, not judging, just discussing the sociological impact of mass veganism; “increasing malnutrition in wealthy countries”.  
  • Options
    Most veg has large amounts of vit C . 
    I eat every food type. I think I could eat less meat as I do love veg.  I do need to eat fruit as I don't often fancy it.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:

I don’t think anyone has been judging on individual levels or categorizing anyone, but obviously (as concluded by this research), there are some major caveats to a large number of people practicing veganism.  People (on the whole) need better nutrition education regarding human biology and what our bodies require to remain healthy.  Most meat eaters I know still eat fruits and vegetables as well (someone above mentioned vitamin c deficiency, which I get plenty of in the fruits I snack on between steaks, lol).  Balance is the key, I would be unhealthy as hell if ribeyes were all I ever ate, lol.  Again, not judging, just discussing the sociological impact of mass veganism; “increasing malnutrition in wealthy countries”.  
    I didn't see you as being judgmental, PJP, I just meant that in general I've heard a number of people talk shit about vegans.

My own feeling is that the more vegans, vegetarians or people who are mostly vegetarian (which is how I would describe myself), the better-- especially in a world with 7.7 billion people on it.  For me its more about having a biocentric viewpoint than it is about a sociological/ anthropocentric viewpoint.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:

I didn't see you as being judgmental, PJP, I just meant that in general I've heard a number of people talk shit about vegans.

My own feeling is that the more vegans, vegetarians or people who are mostly vegetarian (which is how I would describe myself), the better-- especially in a world with 7.7 billion people on it.  For me its more about having a biocentric viewpoint than it is about a sociological/ anthropocentric viewpoint.
    Gotcha, I naturally lean towards a sociological viewpoint (it is actually what I have my degree in). 
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Paging the ghost of Anthony Bourdain
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    That article was probably paid for by the meat lobby...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Grow your own if you can!  
    “Even when fresh produce is consumed, there appears to be fewer micronutrients available than was once the case.”

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:

Gotcha, I naturally lean towards a sociological viewpoint (it is actually what I have my degree in). 
    The first time I went off to college I initially majored in Sociology.  After the first semester I changed my major to Liberal Studies (go figure) with a minor in Indulging in 1960's American Hedonism.  I mean, why not?  It was San Francisco, late 60's/ early 70's, right?

• Options
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:

The first time I went off to college I initially majored in Sociology.  After the first semester I changed my major to Liberal Studies (go figure) with a minor in Indulging in 1960's American Hedonism.  I mean, why not?  It was San Francisco, late 60's/ early 70's, right?
    I’m guessing that was a pretty flooded field of study in the 60s and 70s :)
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:

I’m guessing that was a pretty flooded field of study in the 60s and 70s :)
    You might say it was an unofficial "requirement", lol!