Vegan diets increasing malnutrition in wealthy countries?

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited December 2018
    Ok, I was an asshole and I apologize for calling vegans idiots.
    I do think it's extreme and there aren't any arguments for it that hold up very well, but there are plenty of fine vegan people.

It's a pet peeve of mine because my sense of self is rooted in trying to rationally apply my mind toward being as natural a person as I can, and there's nothing natural about refusing all animal food sources.  Even true herbivores make no such effort.
    Like PJPOWER, I live my life much, much more connected to the world that sustains us than most.  I do this by living in a wild space, growing/harvesting as much of my food as possible, and working to limit my use of energy and technology.

Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    rgambs said:
    I do think it's extreme and there aren't any arguments for it that hold up very well, but there are plenty of fine vegan people.

It's a pet peeve of mine because my sense of self is rooted in trying to rationally apply my mind toward being as natural a person as I can, and there's nothing natural about refusing all animal food sources.  Even true herbivores make no such effort.
    Like PJPOWER, I live my life much, much more connected to the world that sustains us than most.  I do this by living in a wild space, growing/harvesting as much of my food as possible, and working to limit my use of energy and technology.

:lol:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited December 2018
    In dedication to this thread i will be enjoying a steak for dinner  :)
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    I know people think vegans are annoying and in your face with their lifestyle over yours, but it is a big time perception of what seat you sit in.  I don't tell anybody I am at all.

It is astounding what dicks people are when they find out I am.  
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Aren’t all of the boys in the band vegans ? They seem very fit I know they all probably have chefs that prepare their meals which is a big plus , heck if I had my own chef at home I could see myself a vegan , between me & my wife we cook as much vegetarian as possible and now my daughter has been cooking too ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Smellyman said:
    I know people think vegans are annoying and in your face with their lifestyle over yours, but it is a big time perception of what seat you sit in.  I don't tell anybody I am at all.

It is astounding what dicks people are when they find out I am.  
    That sucks! 

Why the hell should anyone care?  Just makes no sense to me.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

In the mid to late 80's I was recovering from having Epstein-Barr virus.  I was in bad shape.  While visiting a friend and his mother in Colorado one summer, the friends mom put me on a vegan raw food and juicing diet for the 10 days or so I was there.  When I went home, I stayed on that diet for 3 months- 100% raw food vegan.  At the end of that three months, I felt better and looked a 100 times better than I had a mere three months earlier.  Every now and then I go back on the diet for a short time to rejuvenate. 

I'm mostly vegetarian now and the carnivore portion of my diet is eggs, goat cheese and a little poultry now and then.  For milk, I use almond milk.  I don't mean to brag, but honestly, I think I'm healthier than most people my age despite having to deal with the life-long effects of chronic fatigue due to having had Epstein-Barr. Again, not bragging, just a fact,  I have had numerous people tell me I look a lot younger than 67.  Sure, some of it is genes, but a lot of it is life style and diet. 

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    my2hands said:
    In dedication to this thread i will be enjoying a steak for dinner  :)
    I eat vegans....cattle that is, ha
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    In the mid to late 80's I was recovering from having Epstein-Barr virus.  I was in bad shape.  While visiting a friend and his mother in Colorado one summer, the friends mom put me on a vegan raw food and juicing diet for the 10 days or so I was there.  When I went home, I stayed on that diet for 3 months- 100% raw food vegan.  At the end of that three months, I felt better and looked a 100 times better than I had a mere three months earlier.  Every now and then I go back on the diet for a short time to rejuvenate. 

I'm mostly vegetarian now and the carnivore portion of my diet is eggs, goat cheese and a little poultry now and then.  For milk, I use almond milk.  I don't mean to brag, but honestly, I think I'm healthier than most people my age despite having to deal with the life-long effects of chronic fatigue due to having had Epstein-Barr. Again, not bragging, just a fact,  I have had numerous people tell me I look a lot younger than 67.  Sure, some of it is genes, but a lot of it is life style and diet. 
    I mean this, good for you.  I am glad it works for you.  I do not eat a ton of meat...$$$$ too expensive.  However, I did myself a roast on sale for my Christmas meal.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited December 2018
    rgambs said:

I respect that.  I would say that I know where “most” of the food (beef and veggies) I consume comes from, start to finish.  We spend a lot of time sealing veggies in the summer and often have some leftover the next year that gets composted and used again.  Beef comes from my family’s ranch.  I actually enjoy growing what I eat and consider it one of my favorite hobbies, so there is that “mental health” benefit too :)
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    That article was probably paid for by the meat lobby...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR_4h5A5z_A
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:

:lol:

HAHAHA brilliant.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    My friend is a vegan and so is his partner. 
    I feel guilty all the time being a meat eater, like I'm a bad sinner in their eyes. They've never judged me but if I eat meat around them I am self conscious. 
    I feel bad that some meat suppliers kill animals unethically. 
    Wish I was vegan but I don't feel I have the conviction to go off meat seeing my favourite dishes include it.
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    edited December 2018
    I feel guilty all the time being a meat eater, like I'm a bad sinner in their eyes. They've never judged me but if I eat meat around them I am self conscious. 
    Wish I was vegan but I don't feel I have the conviction to go off meat seeing my favourite dishes include it.
    I'm a flavourtarian - I follow the flavour. When there's a fucking delicious sounding vegan offering on a menu, I will happily consume it. For what it's worth, I've eaten at vegan restaurants that are as delicious as non-vegan ones - but at least in Toronto, you typically have to pay more for something that tastes as good as a non-vegan counterpart. These days though, I'm happy to have a vegetable or tofu curry. My brother, who I live with, has also been a vegan for almost four years now.
    Post edited by benjs on
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    I don't eat beef or pork very often- usually when it is what someone is serving to me- but I know what you mean about feeling bad about doing so.  But when that happens, I remember what my friend Tim told me many years ago.  He was a conscientious vegetarian but if someone served him something with meat, he would eat it and be grateful for the food.  That made sense to me.  (Cool guy.  Sadly, he died in his sleep at 50 of a brain aneurysm.  real bummer- I miss that guy.)  So I think the key is to be thankful to have nourishment.

benjs said:
    I'm a flavourtarian - I follow the flavour. When there's a fucking delicious sounding vegan offering on a menu, I will happily consume it. For what it's worth, I've eaten at vegan restaurants that are as delicious as non-vegan ones - but at least in Toronto, you typically have to pay more for something that tastes as good as a non-vegan counterpart. These days though, I'm happy to have a vegetable or tofu curry. My brother, who I live with, has also been a vegan for almost four years now.

"flavourtarian", haha!  I like that!

What I don't understand is why vegans refuse ethically sourced eggs and dairy?
    I totally get why you don't buy a 79¢ carton of eggs at the supermarket, or buy that milk that's a dollar a gallon, but why won't you eat eggs and cheese from local and ethical sources when given the opportunity?  
    I also get why you wouldn't make a habit of searching out such foods, it can be a hassle...but when you come to my house and you see the chickens and goats (don't have any right now, but I will get set back up within a few years) ranging free and healthy...why do you refuse to eat the glorious golden eggs and delicious cheese?  I can't help but take it as a slight on my hospitality because I'm just damn old fashioned, I guess.
    rgambs said:
    I totally get why you don't buy a 79¢ carton of eggs at the supermarket, or buy that milk that's a dollar a gallon, but why won't you eat eggs and cheese from local and ethical sources when given the opportunity?  
    I also get why you wouldn't make a habit of searching out such foods, it can be a hassle...but when you come to my house and you see the chickens and goats (don't have any right now, but I will get set back up within a few years) ranging free and healthy...why do you refuse to eat the glorious golden eggs and delicious cheese?  I can't help but take it as a slight on my hospitality because I'm just damn old fashioned, I guess.
    Could be that many people don't live in places with access to ethically sourced eggs and dairy.  I'm fortunate to be able to buy eggs from people I know who raise chickens locally.  Fresh eggs!

brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    Could be that many people don't live in places with access to ethically sourced eggs and dairy.  I'm fortunate to be able to buy eggs from people I know who raise chickens locally.  Fresh eggs!
    I totally get that, and I don't expect people in urban areas to source clean eggs and dairy when they have vegan alternatives at hand, but the vegans I know refuse regardless of source.
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    I totally get that, and I don't expect people in urban areas to source clean eggs and dairy when they have vegan alternatives at hand, but the vegans I know refuse regardless of source.
    Yeah, I can see how that would be a bit odd to those of us who are not strict vegan or vegetarian, but I very much admire people who adhere strongly to their convictions, especially when they strive to lead by example and not by scolding or lecturing.

Just curious.  Why the fuck does anyone care what other people eat.  Why preach?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I respect people who want to eat healthier no matter how you choose too accomplish it ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Just curious.  Why the fuck does anyone care what other people eat.  Why preach?
     I think some people care in a more general sense regarding cruelty to animals and universal health of the planet (as in a Gaia kind of thing).

brianlux said:
     I think some people care in a more general sense regarding cruelty to animals and universal health of the planet (as in a Gaia kind of thing).
    I get that people care about the animals.    But do you actually need to preach about what people choose to eat?  If people choose to be Vegan good for them.  People have also been eating meat forever, it's never going to change.  I do not know what meat prices are in the US, but meat here are high...I have not seen statistics.  But I would bet the price of meat will mean less consumption of meat in the long run.  I do not eat that much meat for that reason.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    I get that people care about the animals.    But do you actually need to preach about what people choose to eat?  If people choose to be Vegan good for them.  People have also been eating meat forever, it's never going to change.  I do not know what meat prices are in the US, but meat here are high...I have not seen statistics.  But I would bet the price of meat will mean less consumption of meat in the long run.  I do not eat that much meat for that reason.

brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    Yeah, I can see how that would be a bit odd to those of us who are not strict vegan or vegetarian, but I very much admire people who adhere strongly to their convictions, especially when they strive to lead by example and not by scolding or lecturing.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:

Exactly.  My sister was a vegetarian for 10 years or so.  She started eating meat again because she missed the taste.  She is like me, we do not consume much meat...also she never once preached about her lifestyle choice...she had no problem attending family dinners where meat was served.  We all respect each others choice.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:

Exactly.  My sister was a vegetarian for 10 years or so.  She started eating meat again because she missed the taste.  She is like me, we do not consume much meat...also she never once preached about her lifestyle choice...she had no problem attending family dinners where meat was served.  We all respect each others choice.
    You should show that respect of choice to everyone. Without scolding.
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:

For somehow who doesn't like my posting, why the fuck do you quote me.  Is NJ education system that bad?  The only thing I can figure,
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:

For somehow who doesn't like my posting, why the fuck do you quote me.  Is NJ education system that bad?  The only thing I can figure,
    For someone,  not somehow.   Proofreading is a valuable tool. 

Please do not presume to know what I like or do not like. And do not curse at me.
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:

For someone,  not somehow.   Proofreading is a valuable tool. 

Please do not presume to know what I like or do not like. And do not curse at me.
    My gawd you are one sensitive person.  Hoe do function?
    Give Peas A Chance…