Options

‘Better Call Saul’ Actor Todd Latourette Admits He Sawed Off His Own Arm To Impersonate A War Vet Fo

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    I'm dubious of the claim that there's a cure known but undeveloped, and the reason is that not all forms of herpes are profitable to treat.
    Then again, eradicating it from the nervous system would be a monumental task, something that would require some crazy form of targeted treatment.  That kind of treatment is highly experimental and expensive.  Maybe there is a potential treatment known, maybe it is something like gene therapy, which often can only be done successfully by a handful of people/facilities in the world.
    If there is a cure and it is known, how the hell in good conscience or for the well being of humans, would you bury the cure?!?

Having a cure for a known disease is the most unethical thing I've ever heard of.

Man I really hope that's untrue...

Thread integrity is gone now, lol.
    Herpes encephalitis is serious and can cause significant mental health issues. 

Thread integrity back. 
    Yes, in rare cases it is deadly, that's true. Let's assume we're talking the non-deadly kind in exchange for the $10M, lol.
    I assumed so. Only added this to circle back to mental illness. 

Oooohhhh, right. I didn't even pick up on that. I wanted to maintain thread disintegrity, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't think you have to be psychotic to do something like this at all. Self-mutilation isn't always a symptom of a mental illness, and if someone does it as a perceived career move, that gives even less reason to assume the person's mentally ill. Of course, in this case, it does seem that he's mentally ill and that is probably why he did this. I'm just talking generally.
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't think you have to be psychotic to do something like this at all. Self-mutilation isn't always a symptom of a mental illness, and if someone does it as a perceived career move, that gives even less reason to assume the person's mentally ill. Of course, in this case, it does seem that he's mentally ill and that is probably why he did this. I'm just talking generally.
    Minor self-mutilation, sure, but you are severely (psuedopun intended) misunderestimating what it would take to cut a hand off.  It doesn't just pop off like in the movies, that would take a level of commitment that could only be driven by psychosis or desperation bordering on psychosis.
    Agreed.

There was an artist that cut off his junk and cooked and served it to people for a ton of money.

I'd like to know what his story was?!?
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/24/asexual-mao-sugiyama-cooks-serves-own-genitals_n_1543307.html
    Wtf did he serve for dessert chocolate covered nuts !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Minor self-mutilation, sure, but you are severely (psuedopun intended) misunderestimating what it would take to cut a hand off.  It doesn't just pop off like in the movies, that would take a level of commitment that could only be driven by psychosis or desperation bordering on psychosis.
    Agreed.

There was an artist that cut off his junk and cooked and served it to people for a ton of money.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/24/asexual-mao-sugiyama-cooks-serves-own-genitals_n_1543307.html
    Thankfully someone read the article.  TY Jose.

It's some crazy shit...
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Agreed.

It's some crazy shit...
    Unreal for someone to actually do this ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    Makes you feel sorry for all those who did it for free, coulda had $10M.
    I know a girl (in my wife's family) who has it. it ain't no picnic. 
    Is there different degrees of herpes?
    Yes there are. Some people have terrible breakouts, others not so much, and some barely at all, and treatment can be much more effective for some than for others. Also, I have an ex-boyfriend who was a herpes medical researcher, and he told me that they have a cure for it all figured out, but the pharmaceutical companies make too much from just treating a life long disease, so the cure has never been developed for the public. Of course, I'm sure this isn't surprising to any of you.
    god that shit pisses me off. I often wonder if the same goes for my daughter's disease. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    edited November 2018
    I am actually surprised if anyone would sit on a cure for anything.  Now not wanting to develop one I can see. Our insurance pays out like $3,000 for each of her 3-month supply of Humira. Now you know why they have so many ads if they can get 3 grand per prescription. I really doubt Humira is looking for a cure for RA/Chron's or any of the other diseases it treats. But I would imagine other companies would look into any other possibilities. 
    My guess is if there is a cure for whatever it was we were talking about, it hasn't been tested and proven. And the companies don't see it financially beneficial to invest the money into 10+ years of tests and trails and getting approved when they can just sell treatments  as opposed to investing in something that isn't even proven. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mace1229 said:
    I am actually surprised if anyone would sit on a cure for anything.  Now not wanting to develop one I can see. Our insurance pays out like $3,000 for each of her 3-month supply of Humira. Now you know why they have so many ads if they can get 3 grand per prescription. I really doubt Humira is looking for a cure for RA/Chron's or any of the other diseases it treats. But I would imagine other companies would look into any other possibilities. 
    My guess is if there is a cure for whatever it was we were talking about, it hasn't been tested and proven. And the companies don't see it financially beneficial to invest the money into 10+ years of tests and trails and getting approved when they can just sell treatments  as opposed to investing in something that isn't even proven. 
    But I think the research tells them the odds that a cure can be developed, doesn't it? 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    The sitting on a cure for the sake of profit conspiracy theory has been mentioned about cancer for as long as I can remember.  I highly doubt a pharmaceutical company would sit on a cure, if this was EVER proven that they were, then I think shit would hit the fan pretty quickly...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    mace1229 said:
    Well it certainly hasn't been through all the clinical trials, obviously. You need support to get to that point. That's the whole problem. What I think my ex was saying is that they knew it was entirely possible as far as they, the experts, were concerned (which they found out through their scientific research of course, in academic lab settings, and their knowledge of how shit works), but development wasn't happening for financial/scumbag reasons.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    There’s no such thing as “a cure for cancer”, because cancer isn’t one thing. Kidney cancer is different from breast cancer is different from lung cancer, all of which are very different from the blood cancers, etc. Some cancers are already curable, others have a very low rate. There’s never going to be a magic bullet to “cure cancer”. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    There’s no such thing as “a cure for cancer”, because cancer isn’t one thing. Kidney cancer is different from breast cancer is different from lung cancer, all of which are very different from the blood cancers, etc. Some cancers are already curable, others have a very low rate. There’s never going to be a magic bullet to “cure cancer”. 
    Sure... although there is some research that focuses on the common characteristics shared by all forms of cancer, and efforts to see if they can indeed narrow it down in such a way to stop the common thing that allows cancer to start growing in the first place. A catch-all vaccine is not considered impossible, scientifically (as opposed to treatments and cures after the fact). And I don't believe this the same thing is happening with cancer btw. Or AIDS. Nobody could get away with that IMO.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Acyclovir is a cheap old anti-viral with several generic, and even OTC versions available.  
    There isn't much money to be made in treatment, the real profit would lie in a cure.  Genital herpes is only one form of the virus and you'd better believe the opthalmic world would absolutely kill with a vaccine or treatment.
    I can imagine some cures take a long time to get developed because they aren't profitable, but eventually a university will force their hands.
    Suppressed cures is an old conspiracy theory that really took off during the HIV/AIDS hysteria.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    rgambs said:
    Acyclovir is a cheap old anti-viral with several generic, and even OTC versions available.  
    There isn't much money to be made in treatment, the real profit would lie in a cure.  Genital herpes is only one form of the virus and you'd better believe the opthalmic world would absolutely kill with a vaccine or treatment.
    I can imagine some cures take a long time to get developed because they aren't profitable, but eventually a university will force their hands.
    Suppressed cures is an old conspiracy theory that really took off during the HIV/AIDS hysteria.
    When it comes to herpes, the real profit actually lies in a vaccine and treatment, not a cure, and that is why they won't develop a cure. I'm not on the hysteria train here, and don't think this even applies to AIDS research.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    Well it certainly hasn't been through all the clinical trials, obviously. You need support to get to that point. That's the whole problem. What I think my ex was saying is that they knew it was entirely possible as far as they, the experts, were concerned (which they found out through their scientific research of course, in academic lab settings, and their knowledge of how shit works), but development wasn't happening for financial/scumbag reasons.
    That makes much more sense.
    There's no way to know if something's a cure without all that, there's been lots of times people thought they had a new cure for something, but found devastating side effects or that it just didn't work as expected.
    Honestly, it may not even be "scumbag" reasons. Companies sometimes go bankrupt when tests go on for years before they are deemed unsafe. I wouldn't blame a company that has reasonable treatments to step back and say we're not testing this, if we put all our resources in this and it fails then we've got nothing.
    Not if they kept it a secret or patented it to prevent anyone else from trying, then that would be scumbaggy. 
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    That makes much more sense.
    There's no way to know if something's a cure without all that, there's been lots of times people thought they had a new cure for something, but found devastating side effects or that it just didn't work as expected.
    Honestly, it may not even be "scumbag" reasons. Companies sometimes go bankrupt when tests go on for years before they are deemed unsafe. I wouldn't blame a company that has reasonable treatments to step back and say we're not testing this, if we put all our resources in this and it fails then we've got nothing.
    Not if they kept it a secret or patented it to prevent anyone else from trying, then that would be scumbaggy. 
    They are deliberately not developing/funding a cure because it is more profitable not to. That is the main point confirmed by someone who was on "the inside" (like I said, that is all I'm going off of, but the guy was basically genius, with street smarts too, and legit connections in the field). Now, why some of the multi-billionaires haven't stepped up and offered to give their riches to such causes I don't know, but I suppose I can guess, lol.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    stem cells.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    stem cells.....
    Amen...
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I still think this story is super fishy.  There would be tons of people out there that could vouch, "yeah, that's the dude from our town that cut his arm off with a Skil Saw.  That was some crazy shit".  Everyone that intentionally cuts their arm off gets huge media attention or a movie made about it. 

I really don't think it's possible to cut your arm off with a handheld circular saw, then go Rambo and cauterize it, and somehow fly under the radar unless you live on the moon.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Jason P said:
    I still think this story is super fishy.  There would be tons of people out there that could vouch, "yeah, that's the dude from our town that cut his arm off with a Skil Saw.  That was some crazy shit".  Everyone that intentionally cuts their arm off gets huge media attention or a movie made about it. 

I really don't think it's possible to cut your arm off with a handheld circular saw, then go Rambo and cauterize it, and somehow fly under the radar unless you live on the moon.
    Well he clearly has a missing arm.
    So you think he did lose it in the war and is lying about having stolen valor?
    Do you think he lost it some other way and now has lied 2 different ways about how he lost it and no friends or family has ever called him out? I guess that’s possible since no one called him out last time.
    Id be more suspicious about the story if he had 2 arms, but I think people do crazy stuff all the time and we rarely ever do hear about it.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Jason P said:

Do you think he lost it some other way and now has lied 2 different ways about how he lost it and no friends or family has ever called him out? I guess that’s possible since no one called him out last time.
    Id be more suspicious about the story if he had 2 arms, but I think people do crazy stuff all the time and we rarely ever do hear about it.
    Agree that the arm is missing.  

I'm just skeptical and wondering why whoever is interviewing him isn't doing a "wait, what?" and doing some research.
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Jason P said:
    mace1229 said:
    Jason P said:

I'm just skeptical and wondering why whoever is interviewing him isn't doing a "wait, what?" and doing some research.
    I was hoping you were in  search of an article about the incident after your spidey senses kicked in.  ;)
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    Jason P said:
    mace1229 said:
    Jason P said:

I was hoping you were in  search of an article about the incident after your spidey senses kicked in.  ;)
    I did.  There is the famous case of the climber that had to use a knife.  There is a guy that got his arm stuck in a meat grinder and had to cut his arm off to avoid death (ahhhhh!!!), a guy that was stuck in a furnace for three days, a guy having a psychotic episode in a home depot that used a coping saw but only got to the bone, and of course there was Ash Williams who used a chainsaw after the evil got into his hand and he had to lock it off at the wrist.  

Maybe the multiple journalists from major news outlet reporting this story should go a step beyond the google search that I did.  I think maybe they were taught to do that in school?

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Jason P said:
    njnancy said:
    Jason P said:
    mace1229 said:
    Jason P said:

I did.  There is the famous case of the climber that had to use a knife.  There is a guy that got his arm stuck in a meat grinder and had to cut his arm off to avoid death (ahhhhh!!!), a guy that was stuck in a furnace for three days, a guy having a psychotic episode in a home depot that used a coping saw but only got to the bone, and of course there was Ash Williams who used a chainsaw after the evil got into his hand and he had to lock it off at the wrist.  

Maybe the multiple journalists from major news outlet reporting this story should go a step beyond the google search that I did.  I think maybe they were taught to do that in school?

There definitely should have been a bit more background done instead of just taking his word for it. You are taught (when you study journalism) that you should, at the very least have 2 sources for something before reporting. In some cases news outlets will require more sourcing. This seems like the guy wanted to say something, found a reporter and they just printed it as the truth. Considering that he lied about it the first time, I would be wary of his truthfulness. 

Meat grinder AND having to cut off your own arm?  ACK!!
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Agreed.

It's some crazy shit...
    Unreal for someone to actually do this ..
    Unfortunately I looked at the pictures against my better judgement. Japan is a very strange place when you peel back the curtain. '

That article should have its own thread..
  • Options
    I just wanted to say my good-byes now to everyone just in case I ever have my arm stuck in a meat grinder and have to chose between death and cutting off my own arm.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I just wanted to say my good-byes now to everyone just in case I ever have my arm stuck in a meat grinder and have to chose between death and cutting off my own arm.
    A horrible way to meat your death. 
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    mace1229 said:
    That was cheesey. 
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    mace1229 said:
    That was cheesey. 
    Oh baloney !!!
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    mace1229 said:
    That was cheesey. 
    Oh baloney !!!
    No whey! 
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    mace1229 said:
    That was cheesey. 
    Oh baloney !!!
    No whey! 
    Well Done