Options

‘Better Call Saul’ Actor Todd Latourette Admits He Sawed Off His Own Arm To Impersonate A War Vet Fo

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
edited November 2018 in A Moving Train
‘Better Call Saul’ Actor Todd Latourette Admits He Sawed Off His Own Arm To Impersonate A War Vet For Acting Roles

https://people.com/tv/better-call-saul-actor-admits-cutting-off-own-arm-lied-war-veteran-roles/
Give Peas A Chance…
Post edited by Meltdown99 on

Comments

• Options
    Mental illness caused him to cut off his arm?  I would think that is psychotic but maybe that is part of mental illness?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Mental illness caused him to cut off his arm?  I would think that is psychotic but maybe that is part of mental illness?
    I’m not sure what you are getting at. Psychosis is a state involving symptoms such as delusions or hallucinations. Psychosis can be part of bipolar disorder as well as lots of other mental illnesses. It’s a syndrome, not a diagnosis on its own. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I’m not sure what you are getting at. Psychosis is a state involving symptoms such as delusions or hallucinations. Psychosis can be part of bipolar disorder as well as lots of other mental illnesses. It’s a syndrome, not a diagnosis on its own. 
    What I'm getting at is if you choose to take a skillsaw to your own arm to cut it off that would be "psychotic" and apparently a cause of that is mental illness.  

Who knew?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    What I'm getting at is if you choose to take a skillsaw to your own arm to cut it off that would be "psychotic" and apparently a cause of that is mental illness.  

Who knew?
    WTF else would make you cut your arm off?  

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Who knew?

I wasn't aware that being psycho was a symptom of MA.. I thought it was in a league of it's own.

A really good hallucinogenic could make you cut an appendage off too.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    rgambs said:

Who knew?

I wasn't aware that being psycho was a symptom of MA.. I thought it was in a league of it's own.

Or if you got it trapped under a rock out hiking and no one is around to save you.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited November 2018
    I don't think you have to be psychotic to do something like this at all. Self-mutilation isn't always a symptom of a mental illness, and if someone does it as a perceived career move, that gives even less reason to assume the person's mentally ill. Of course, in this case, it does seem that he's mentally ill and that is probably why he did this. I'm just talking generally.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't think you have to be psychotic to do something like this at all. Self-mutilation isn't always a symptom of a mental illness, and if someone does it as a perceived career move, that gives even less reason to assume the person's mentally ill. Of course, in this case, it does seem that he's mentally ill and that is probably why he did this. I'm just talking generally.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Minor self-mutilation, sure, but you are severely (psuedopun intended) misunderestimating what it would take to cut a hand off.  It doesn't just pop off like in the movies, that would take a level of commitment that could only be driven by psychosis or desperation bordering on psychosis.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Minor self-mutilation, sure, but you are severely (psuedopun intended) misunderestimating what it would take to cut a hand off.  It doesn't just pop off like in the movies, that would take a level of commitment that could only be driven by psychosis or desperation bordering on psychosis.
    Agreed.

There was an artist that cut off his junk and cooked and served it to people for a ton of money.

I'd like to know what his story was?!?
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/24/asexual-mao-sugiyama-cooks-serves-own-genitals_n_1543307.html
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm not underestimating anything (and come on, please give me a little credit - I hope you don't actually think I'm as stupid as you just hinted). I just don't think someone necessarily has to be mentally ill to do an insane thing. I also don't think that serial killers are necessarily mentally ill.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Commitment to the craft.  
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Who knew?

How are you using the word “psycho”?  Doesn’t seem like you are using it in the medical sense. 
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Who knew?

How are you using the word “psycho”?  Doesn’t seem like you are using it in the medical sense. 
    Psycho as in short for psychotic.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm not underestimating anything (and come on, please give me a little credit - I hope you don't actually think I'm as stupid as you just hinted). I just don't think someone necessarily has to be mentally ill to do an insane thing. I also don't think that serial killers are necessarily mentally ill.
    I think you are working with an atypical definition of mental illness lol
    I didn't mean any slight, I've found that people have unique experiences and I've met many very intelligent and knowledgeable people who are naive about anatomy and physiology...and meat processing lol
    I've seen around a dozen amputations and the hurdles you'd have to clear to do that to yourself and survive it are incredible.  I can't imagine a sanity that allows for that.
  • Options
    Seen and smelled, in fact.  Another hurdle lol
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    What does an amputation smell like?

The only time I've smelled anything out of the ordinary was when I cut the bladder on accident.  That smells.  Everything else wasn't  bad at all.
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited November 2018
    rgambs said:

Who knew?

Psycho is a derogatory term when referring to someone with mental illness. Aside from the movie of the same name, the definition of psycho is listed as derogatory slang in the dictionary.  Psychosis happens most often in people who have schizophrenia, various alterations of that disease, or through drug use.  

"Being psycho" is not a symptom of mental illness or in a class of itself.  "Being psycho" isn't a thing. People experience psychosis or psychotic breaks or episodes.   Not demonizing you, just trying to help end the stigma.  :s

Something was definitely going on with this guy, but I have no idea if it had to do with mental illness or drugs or desperation or a combination of the above. Mental illness is different for everyone. But it takes a lot of concentration to make the decision to cut off one's own arm or hand with a powerful saw and then to go about actually doing it and doing it without dying from blood loss. If you were in a psychotic state & began to hurt yourself this isn't the way one would seem to go about it. And then to make up a story and start getting acting jobs because of it. I have no idea if this man has mental illness or drug/alcohol issues. I just find the story to be off somehow. JMO

https://www.today.com/health/calling-people-crazy-ocd-or-psycho-has-negative-impacts-t111216
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    rgambs said:

The only time I've smelled anything out of the ordinary was when I cut the bladder on accident.  That smells.  Everything else wasn't  bad at all.
    Igh, that smell of the saw going through the cortical bone, that half-burnt smell from the intense friction heat, the blood, obviously, and worst of all...the incredibly acrid smell of bovie on bone.  Accckkkkk!  I can taste it in the back of my throat just thinking of it, it's like sucking on a tailpipe full of meat scraps.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Igh, that smell of the saw going through the cortical bone, that half-burnt smell from the intense friction heat, the blood, obviously, and worst of all...the incredibly acrid smell of bovie on bone.  Accckkkkk!  I can taste it in the back of my throat just thinking of it, it's like sucking on a tailpipe full of meat scraps.
    You know I didn't think about when the saw gets hot.

I know what you mean now.  I was thinking of just skinning but yeah that would be an awful stench.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    I'd give my right arm to be famous.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Watch it! lol

That is funny though.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    rgambs said:

what the hell is "cut the bladder"???
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

You know I didn't think about when the saw gets hot.

I know what you mean now.  I was thinking of just skinning but yeah that would be an awful stench.
    Yeah and I was thinking specifically, if you are doing it at home...no ventilation, no suction, low velocity saw with a used blade, no ortho hood. 
    Ever been in the room with a few liters of blood on the floor?  Gut-clentching.  Obviously that doesn't happen often in an OR, a little more in an ER...but in your garage, on the workbench, probably a crude tourniquet.  Yikes.   Dexter shit.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    My spidey sense is tingling on this story.  There must be news archives of someone cutting their arm off with a Skilsaw if this happened in the last 20 years.  
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Reminds me of the conversation my family had last Christmas (because we're a bit weird) about whether or not we'd agree to get genital herpes for $10 million. :lol:
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    Reminds me of the conversation my family had last Christmas (because we're a bit weird) about whether or not we'd agree to get genital herpes for $10 million. :lol:
    WTF?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Damn, that's a good what if.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    WTF?
    Yeah, we lack filters, lol.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    WTF?
    Yeah, we lack filters, lol.
    Well don't leave us hanging, would you??

I would, no hesitation.  Financial security for my son's entire life... that's a no-brainer for me.
    Still though, eeeeewwww.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    So, who said yes? 

:lol:

Edit: just realized that this sounds like I’m offering! Not what I meant. 
    Post edited by oftenreading on